HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2013, 10:17 AM
  #276
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Washington is playing as well as anybody in the East, unless Pittsburgh gets fully healthy they could arguably be the favorite to get to the SCF. If there is a 2nd team after Pit I don't want to face it's Washington. I'd rather face Ottawa or Toronto any day of the week.
We match up well against them though. I'd play them same as 2010, kept our guys tight, keep them to outside. Block shots, give Halak a look at the first shot and clear the rebound. Playing big physical clubs like Toronto or Boston is our achilles heel.

Mats86 is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 10:21 AM
  #277
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
We match up well against them though. I'd play them same as 2010, kept our guys tight, keep them to outside. Block shots, give Halak a look at the first shot and clear the rebound. Playing big physical clubs like Toronto or Boston is our achilles heel.
You can't change your whole style of play for one team, it simply won't work. The current Habs system is a polar opposite to the JM one.

Toronto has had our number, but one of those losses was a total no show, the other we had the upper hand but Price had a brutal night.

Boston has hardly been our achilles heel this year, I think we went 3-1 against them.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 10:45 AM
  #278
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,638
vCash: 500
The only time in recent memory I can remember having a losing record vs Boston was last year actually.

In 2010-2011 we were 4 and 2 against them in the regular season and took them to 7 games before losing in double OT. Hardly the sign of a bad matchup.

In 2009-2010 we were 5 and 1 against them!

I honestly have no idea where the "they have our number" thing comes from. We've had some ugly losses against them during this time but it was always the exception. Fans here must listen to trash talk by Bruins fans too often, these records aren't that hard to find.

The Leafs have our number but were hardly a tough team until they hired Caryle and stocked themselves with goons. Unless last year you were afraid of Gabrovski and Phaneuf.

Et le But is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 10:55 AM
  #279
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You can't change your whole style of play for one team, it simply won't work. The current Habs system is a polar opposite to the JM one.

Toronto has had our number, but one of those losses was a total no show, the other we had the upper hand but Price had a brutal night.

Boston has hardly been our achilles heel this year, I think we went 3-1 against them.
Tornotos toughness is not going to be an issue in the POs. They get their indimidation factor from Mclaren and orr... guys who will not be effective in the POs. Why I think they are a bad matchup for the habs is because of the forchecking ability.

These guys work well in the corners, and have some good speed. You got to give it to them, their forwards are well balanced. I think Kessel would destroy markov with his speed. It would be a matchup that carlyle would look to take advantage of.

The only place where I can see the habs beating the Leafs is their defence. They lack speed on the backend, and have an untested goalie in the POs with Reimer.

overall though, I think the leafs have the advantage in the matchup.

Ghetto Sangria is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 10:57 AM
  #280
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 5m 15 minutes until puck drop for RUS-USA. You can all watch the game on @FASTHOCKEY and @chrismpeters will be giving you the play by play.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 11:03 AM
  #281
Dada
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Cough cough* draft thread cough cough*

Dada is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 11:14 AM
  #282
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,277
vCash: 500
In case anyones interested they are showing Russia vs USA u18 here:

http://88.80.5.80/w00t/20130417/vv51...39-563532.html

Frozenice is online now  
Old
04-18-2013, 11:28 AM
  #283
Nitehowl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BC Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
How does Habs draft position change with the playoffs. IF they lose 1st round say, will the pick drop into the low 20's from the 25/26 range that we are right now?? I forget how it works, I know the Stanley Cup finalists are put in the 29/30 slots....

Nitehowl is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 11:36 AM
  #284
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
How does Habs draft position change with the playoffs. IF they lose 1st round say, will the pick drop into the low 20's from the 25/26 range that we are right now?? I forget how it works, I know the Stanley Cup finalists are put in the 29/30 slots....
First 2 rounds it doesn't matter, if they make the "final 4" they pick 27-30 like in 2010.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
  #285
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
In case anyones interested they are showing Russia vs USA u18 here:

http://88.80.5.80/w00t/20130417/vv51...39-563532.html
Buchnevich is playing well. He has a heavy slapper and obviously good hands. Compher has good speed.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
  #286
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Other guys I've liked in this game:

McCaron, 6'5 227 lbs RW committed to Western Michigan. Skates well, always on the puck, isn't scared to use his body, and pretty skilled. I would look at him in the 2nd round.

Santini: Smooth skating defender that supports the offense, smart with the puck. Committed to Boston College. Should go late in the 2nd IMO.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 02:30 PM
  #287
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Other guys I've liked in this game:

McCaron, 6'5 227 lbs RW committed to Western Michigan. Skates well, always on the puck, isn't scared to use his body, and pretty skilled. I would look at him in the 2nd round.

Santini: Smooth skating defender that supports the offense, smart with the puck. Committed to Boston College. Should go late in the 2nd IMO.
Santini is one those guys that could go anywhere from 15 to 60. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he went in the first. Lots of qualities to his game.

Fozz is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:05 PM
  #288
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
In case anyones interested they are showing Russia vs USA u18 here:

http://88.80.5.80/w00t/20130417/vv51...39-563532.html
Exciting game! Thanks for the stream.

JT Compher and Mike McCarron really stand out, some flashes from Hudson Fasching as well. Size and skill combo, could still be there in the 3rd.

Connor Clifton was somebody I knew little about who stood out for good things.

Tolchinsky would be a late-pick project, so quick and smart. Some Datsyukian qualities there.

TinordiandSubban is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 04:54 PM
  #289
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Exciting game! Thanks for the stream.

JT Compher and Mike McCarron really stand out, some flashes from Hudson Fasching as well. Size and skill combo, could still be there in the 3rd.

Connor Clifton was somebody I knew little about who stood out for good things.

Tolchinsky would be a late-pick project, so quick and smart. Some Datsyukian qualities there.
Agreed. Mccarron would be a solid 3rd rd pick, but I also see Downing as a great choice in the 3rd.

Halifaxhab* is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 05:38 PM
  #290
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Agreed. Mccarron would be a solid 3rd rd pick, but I also see Downing as a great choice in the 3rd.
Some scouts says they wouldn't be surprised if McCarron went in the 1st round. I would definately take him with either one of CGY or NSH pick.

bcv is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 05:52 PM
  #291
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Some scouts says they wouldn't be surprised if McCarron went in the 1st round. I would definately take him with either one of CGY or NSH pick.
A 3rd, yes...Maybe our own 2nd, but those picks would be too high for someone who has 3rd line potential, just because hes big.

Halifaxhab* is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 06:01 PM
  #292
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Agreed. Mccarron would be a solid 3rd rd pick, but I also see Downing as a great choice in the 3rd.
Good thing we have two picks in the 3rd

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 06:02 PM
  #293
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
A 3rd, yes...Maybe our own 2nd, but those picks would be too high for someone who has 3rd line potential, just because hes big.
Saw him only one game, but McCarron seems to have a higher potential than that.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 06:13 PM
  #294
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,290
vCash: 500
McCarron will skyrocket after the tournament.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 06:20 PM
  #295
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Saw him only one game, but McCarron seems to have a higher potential than that.
I meant Fasching in the 3rd.

McCarron and Compher could both show up late first.

Habs should add one of the big American forwards, didn't see much of Hayden today but he is huge and a right handed center.

TinordiandSubban is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 06:20 PM
  #296
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
JT Compher! Michigan bound! Has to be a Habs!

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 06:30 PM
  #297
S Bah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 50
Fans must remember that late 1st round picks get a certain tpye of player each year. This year the Habs are positioned to excel in that range looking for steals with each pick will only assure that the picks they make are 4th - 5th in depth.Instead of being the team that drafts 1st the type of players that are left available,the power forwards with good skating and stickhandling abilities like McCarron,Moutrey Hayden,Hill,Fasching, Kujawinski the ones that will play in the NHL. There are many smaller forwards left in the 2nd but they are with flaws,while defencemen that are in the 30-90 picks can be as good as those in the top 5-30 picks.The Habs will be centering on that ranking IMO unless they trade with CBJ's or Calgary for their three 1st round picks.CBJ's picks are now 15th,16th & 22nd overall the Habs could have players that may entice the CBJ's into trading those picks.Ultimately if the Hab were to manage that kind of trade,calling for trading some of their prospects and a veteran core player to accomplish such a trade.This would bring the rebuild of the Habs down drastically from 5-7 yrs. to quite simply 4-5 yrs.to be Champions with a great outlook for another 5 yrs.

S Bah is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 06:46 PM
  #298
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
tides of change?

post instead of goal.

wrong thread...

Nedved is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 05:05 AM
  #299
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,184
vCash: 500
Stefan Fournier with our last pick? He's having a great playoff...could be late bloomer.

Mats86 is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 06:36 AM
  #300
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Stefan Fournier with our last pick? He's having a great playoff...could be late bloomer.
Not eligible for the draft, he is a free agent. I suggested we sign him a week ago.

Monctonscout is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.