HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

My New Jersey Plan (proposal)

Old
09-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
You are missing the point entirely. And White is worth 3m/year, as I've already stated, but he's not the caliber player that usually earns 15m contracts while RFA.
So what are you saying? That the Devils demote White until the cap situation is cleared up and call him back up at the end of the season or next year? That makes absolutely no sense. I guess Lou is comfortable with Lukowich on the top pairing then?

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voros19 View Post
So what are you saying? That the Devils demote White until the cap situation is cleared up and call him back up? That makes absolutely no sense. I guess Lou is comfortable with Lukowich on the top pairing then?
Is it not better to have Lukowich (or more realistically, Malakhov so you can hopefully give him enough value to trade for a 7th rounder) on the top pairing for half a season or to trade away one or more of Gomez/Gionta/Madden/Rafalski? Or should Lou just start forfeiting games?

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Is it not better to have Lukowich (or more realistically, Malakhov so you can hopefully give him enough value to trade for a 7th rounder) on the top pairing for half a season or to trade away one or more of Gomez/Gionta/Madden/Rafalski? Or should Lou just start forfeiting games?
Simply trade Gomez and see what value you can get for him. He'll likely walk after this season anyway (well, I just don't see the Devils paying him $6-6.5M once he hits UFA), and the Devils have some good centers in the system.

By demoting White, you would essentially be trading him way of the amount of time that it takes to fix the cap problem (could be the whole season). His salary alone won't get the Devils under the cap, so more cuts of larger salary players would have to be made. On top of that, you would be demoting one of your best defensemen to the minor leagues, which I'm sure wouldn't sit well with White or the rest of the players on the team (at least McGillis stunk).

Old
09-01-2006, 04:05 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Elias - Gomez - Gionta
Mogilny (?) - Parise - Langenbrunner
Pandolfo - X - Tallackson
Ryznar - Rasmussen - Janssen
Depth: Wiemer (injured)

Rafalski - Klee
Martin - Lukowich
Greene - Hale
Depth: McGillis, Matvichuk (injured)

Brodeur
Clemmenson
Doyle

How do you think I did ??
Elias 6.00
Gomez 5.00
Mogilny 3.50
Parise .70
langenbrunner 2.80
Pandolfo .84
Tallackson .51
Ryznar .45
Janssen .45
Rafalski 4.2
Lukowich 1.00
greene .85
Brodeur 5.20
Clemmenson .45
Malakhov 3.60 (cant get him off the books)

Total: 35.55

That leaves 8.45 mil to sign:

Gionta 4.50 (your estimate, I think it may not be quite that expensive)
Rasmussen .575
Klee .7 (but isnt he with Colorado anyway?)
Martin 1.20 (no way)
Hale .65 (no way)
X - 3rd line center estimated to cost 1 mil.

for 8.625 which means that NJ still doesnt squeak under the cap. However as noted above there are problems, such as finding the cheap third line center that doesnt suck, finding someone cheap to replace Klee, and getting Martin and Hale to sign for cheap (IMO you could double those salaries and it still wouldnt be fair to either of them)

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
You are missing the point entirely. And White is worth 3m/year, as I've already stated, but he's not the caliber player that usually earns 15m contracts while RFA.

White would not go to Lowell to help out with the cap and neither should Lou ask him too. Plus we need him playing. Won't happen.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Hale played like 40 games last year and averaged 13 minutes of ice time. Why does he deserve more than $700k?

Old
09-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voros19 View Post
Simply trade Gomez and see what value you can get for him. He'll likely walk after this season anyway (well, I just don't see the Devils paying him $6-6.5M once he hits UFA), and the Devils have some good centers in the system.

By demoting White, you would essentially be trading him way of the amount of time that it takes to fix the cap problem (could be the whole season). His salary alone won't get the Devils under the cap, so more cuts of larger salary players would have to be made. On top of that, you would be demoting one of your best defensemen to the minor leagues, which I'm sure wouldn't sit well with White or the rest of the players on the team (at least McGillis stunk).
Which is of course another option, but saving 3m there, significantly reduces what you have to move and makes keeping Gomez (and he seems more important to the team than White, but I'll defer to Devils fans there) a lot easier.

As for the rest of the team, Mogilny was playing well enough and got sent down anyway. They realize it's business and necessary so they won't hold it against Lou too much. White might, but he'll still be getting paid and because of the situation should be at least somewhat understanding. I mean, the dude got a 5year contract, I'd be willing to suffer a little mark on my pride if it meant cashing a check for $15m.

Old
09-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
White would not go to Lowell to help out with the cap and neither should Lou ask him too. Plus we need him playing. Won't happen.
You do realize that barring a miracle, you're not going into next season with every player you have now, right?

Old
09-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Which is of course another option, but saving 3m there, significantly reduces what you have to move and makes keeping Gomez (and he seems more important to the team than White, but I'll defer to Devils fans there) a lot easier.

As for the rest of the team, Mogilny was playing well enough and got sent down anyway. They realize it's business and necessary so they won't hold it against Lou too much. White might, but he'll still be getting paid and because of the situation should be at least somewhat understanding. I mean, the dude got a 5year contract, I'd be willing to suffer a little mark on my pride if it meant cashing a check for $15m.
For the record, it was 6 years.

I just see this as a very far-fetched idea. Not very feasible, imo.

And Mogilny was playing well enough? His point totals don't really tell the story. There were a lot of problems there. He couldn't bury oppurtunities, was slow, did not back check, and had a rumored attitude problem. Now, it could have simply been a cap move, but I don't think so.

Old
09-01-2006, 05:05 PM
theoil

White to Edmonton for Bergeron (save $2mil) with a Bergeron for White trade signed by both sides to take effect next September so you get him back, we get Bergy back, you save $2 mil in cap money for this season and we get a year to solve our d problem. Everybody is a winner.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 05:09 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
White to Edmonton for Bergeron (save $2mil) with a Bergeron for White trade signed by both sides to take effect next September so you get him back, we get Bergy back, you save $2 mil in cap money for this season and we get a year to solve our d problem. Everybody is a winner.
That would be one weird trade. Don't you guys have enough stay at home defensemen with Smith and Greene? I'd be willing to do a MAB for Rafalski trade.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 05:19 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:

I am proud of Devils fans for not going full "flame on" as to this utterly absurd and so beyond unlikely it defies the imagination notion of sending Colin White through waivers, having just signed him to a 6 year, $18 mil contract, locking him in as our CORE, first pairing, stay at home D-man and replacement for Scott Stevens (for the foreseeable future, possibly until Whitey's retirement.)

A creative idea, sure, but more like the "creative" ideas someone would have if they were really, really stoned and thought they discovered a loophole in the space-time continuum. (But it turned out to just be their television.)

For those who aren't familiar with the Devils team, Colin White and John Madden are our two grittiest, "A" wearing, scary speechifying, locker room leadership guys. (And chippy as hell on the ice.) They are not only the CORE players in our defense first system on the ice, along with Marty (who is more mecurial and funny), but are the two character guys OFF the ice as well. They are our backbone. Our leaders. And they mean a WHOLE LOT more to the team then just their stats.

Niether will be moved. Or put through waivers. Or disrespected in any way by the team. They ARE the team in a character sense. Not on the trading block, or part of some scheming. No way, no how. (Hence, the massive contract extension...)

Either Gomez or Raffy, however, is going to be gone by opening night. (And not returning full value back...) And very likely, so is Brylin (for a pick or non-NHL level prospect, to make room for a league minimum rookie like Bergfors or Zajac... Saving slightly over another $ 1 mil...)

With the injuries to Weimer and Chucker, and sending McGillis down to Lowell, we just barely rattle through...

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 05:26 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
That would be one weird trade. Don't you guys have enough stay at home defensemen with Smith and Greene? I'd be willing to do a MAB for Rafalski trade.
Lou needs something weird to get through this.

I picked White because Rafalski is a UFA at the end of the year I think so we can't give him back and I want Bergy back if we are going to lose Rafalski. I don't believe there is anything in the CBA to prohibit trades back and forth. Lou and Kevin should be able to work out the details. We need a dman for this year to give some of our guys time to mature and maybe make a trade and NJ needs to drop salary for this year but will be good by next September. A meeting of mutual needs.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
You do realize that barring a miracle, you're not going into next season with every player you have now, right?

I can see one of either Rafalski or Gomez being moved. And if more space is needed, look for Brylin to go too. 2 players at the most. Remember once the season starts, Matvichuck I.R., Weimer I.R. and McGills traded or down to Lowell.

That's close to 5 million off the cap if I'm not mistaken.

Hopefully for the Devils, either Bergfors or Zajack and probably Tallackson make the team.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Martin 1.20 (no way)
Hale .65 (no way)
Keep in mind that Martin and Hale don't have a lot of leverage. Wouldn't be surprising to have Lou bestow them with 1 year deals. Jean-Michael Liles is making 1.25 million for this coming season. Figure he's a good comparable for Martin. Hale....don't know if he's really done that much to deserve more than the standard 110% qualifier over last seasons ~500K.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Keep in mind that Martin and Hale don't have a lot of leverage. Wouldn't be surprising to have Lou bestow them with 1 year deals. Jean-Michael Liles is making 1.25 million for this coming season. Figure he's a good comparable for Martin. Hale....don't know if he's really done that much to deserve more than the standard 110% qualifier over last seasons ~500K.
I think at this point Liles is worth more than Martin.

Martin 950K
Hale 768K
Gionta 3 million
back up goalie is Doyle.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Why would Gomez walk...he has said many times he loves playing in NJ.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Why would Gomez walk...he has said many times he loves playing in NJ.
I don't think Gomez will leave NJ, but I also believe that if someone pays him enough, he'll leave.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Maxpac

Lou has turned from the best GM in the league to the dumbest, there so close to the cap right now and it's not like they have a huge team to start with...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 04:14 AM
Varius

Hey Guys,

Just got back from the beach...thanks for the pointers on stuff I wasn't aware of (ie. like Klee in COL and Kozlov and others being UFA not RFA). I took most of my info from nhlpa.com and TSN, so I guess they aren't completely up to date during the summer...

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote