HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Relentless

Old
04-18-2013, 03:46 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

vCash: 500
Relentless

I've been meaning to catch an entire Jackets' game recently, and finally got a chance with last night's match against Anaheim. Relentless is the best way I can describe the game your team played.

There were shifts where the Ducks turned the puck over in their own zone 3 or 4 times, always with a Columbus player applying constant pressure. Every line was skating like their lives depended on it. The fore-check was ferocious.

Frankly, I expected to see a more defensive-minded team, looking to keep things tight in the neutral zone, lots of dump-and-chase and dump-and-change, and rely on Bob to keep them in it. Wrong.

I saw 4 lines rolling, every one a legitimate offensive threat. They dominated most of the game. Without a PP goal on a questionable holding call, and one of the luckiest goals this season, the Ducks would have been shut out, and deservedly so.

Did I see one of their best games of the season last night, or was that indicative of their play of late?

Enjoy the rest of the season. Hope to see the Jackets in the playoffs.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:54 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToursLepantoVienna View Post
I've been meaning to catch an entire Jackets' game recently, and finally got a chance with last night's match against Anaheim. Relentless is the best way I can describe the game your team played.

There were shifts where the Ducks turned the puck over in their own zone 3 or 4 times, always with a Columbus player applying constant pressure. Every line was skating like their lives depended on it. The fore-check was ferocious.

Frankly, I expected to see a more defensive-minded team, looking to keep things tight in the neutral zone, lots of dump-and-chase and dump-and-change, and rely on Bob to keep them in it. Wrong.

I saw 4 lines rolling, every one a legitimate offensive threat. They dominated most of the game. Without a PP goal on a questionable holding call, and one of the luckiest goals this season, the Ducks would have been shut out, and deservedly so.

Did I see one of their best games of the season last night, or was that indicative of their play of late?

Enjoy the rest of the season. Hope to see the Jackets in the playoffs.
That is how they play, but last night was one of the best games that I can remember seeing them play.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:22 PM
major major

Quote:
Last night was exceptional. What you expected to see describes most of our last 15 or so games.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Last night was exceptional. What you expected to see describes most of our last 15 or so games.
Not sure I agree. Skating and forecheck are the team's calling cards. Stands out more the better they play/execute, like last night.

Old
04-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Crede777
Deputized

The Jackets are unique in that they tend to match the opposing team's style. It's like they try to play the opposing team's game but outwork them at it.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:42 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions about the Jackets on the main boards. They aren't a trap team.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:03 AM
major major

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Not sure I agree. Skating and forecheck are the team's calling cards. Stands out more the better they play/execute, like last night.
I would just like to point out that Tours' expectations above, which I think accurately describes most of the way we've played, is not mutually-exclusive with a hard-skating forechecking team. Indeed we dump and chase and forecheck, and we skate and keep things tight in the neutral zone. It's good hockey all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions about the Jackets on the main boards. They aren't a trap team.
The "trap" proper is a specific strategy that not that many teams employ, and the Jackets don't do it. "Trap" also is commonly used to refer to any strategy to gum up the neutral zone, and the Jackets sometimes do that, just like most other teams. We also have a great forecheck with lots of pressure, so as a derisive term to apply to teams that sit back, "trap" is misplaced in reference to the Jackets.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I would just like to point out that Tours' expectations above, which I think accurately describes most of the way we've played, is not mutually-exclusive with a hard-skating forechecking team. Indeed we dump and chase and forecheck, and we skate and keep things tight in the neutral zone. It's good hockey all around.
I was merely countering your suggestion that the Anaheim game was out of character. It was not.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:20 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Agree w/ DSL

Quote:
I was merely countering your suggestion that the Anaheim game was out of character. It was not.
We have had some stinkers in the last 20, but this team is getting great goal tending, and playing good team oriented hockey. They skate hard on the back check, they are constantly pressuring in the attack zone to produce turnovers and they seem to seriously like each other, we don't have the often player moping around after games like we have in the past. Not nearly the most talented team that we have had, but quickly becoming my favorite. Calvert, Atkinson Dubinsky and Anisimov can flat out play, and guys like Mac, Foligno, Letestu, throw in Gabby are giving us some offensive flash to go with a pretty good blue line. Some credit has to go to Howson. Clearly we got an uptick from JD and Jarmo, but the core of this team was Howson's vision. I think the best trade I've seen in the Jackets history was landing Bob in net for a second rounder. Gold Jerry, Gold!!

I take that back, this probably is the most talented team. I just have never appreciated what role players do for a team, and of course their last 20 odd games have been alot more exciting save the odd no show performances.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
The old concept of trap was based on the two line pass rule limitations when the red line was used... most traps can be beat with skilled use cherry picking now..

Dump and chase, and three guys dropping back into the neutral zone is not the trap of old...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:44 AM
ToursLepantoVienna

For the record - I never mentioned the word "trap".

And ya, after the way the Jackets stuck with it, and beat my Sharks, at home, where they rarely lose, I'm sticking with it too.

Relentless.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:38 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

"Relentless"
What I love about that description is that it speaks to the character of this team from top to bottom.
It will serve them well in the playoffs. Yes, I said it.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
"Relentless"
What I love about that description is that it speaks to the character of this team from top to bottom.
It will serve them well in the playoffs. Yes, I said it.
There is no doubt the Blue Jackets have been playing relentless recently, the only game in the last 12-15 or so that didn't meet that description was the loss to Minnesota (after a deflating defeat to the Blues)..

As for the playoffs, we are close but even if we win out we still don't control our own destiny, that could be a problem; next year the playoff hunt better start in October.

I'd save some cash for the playoffs but it's not a lock yet.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Nordique

Quote:
I would agree, 2 hard forecheckers with the 3rd forward high in the zone. Its a system that requires team speed, and thats probably our #1 asset besides goaltending. How many times have we seen the other team turn over the puck to that 3rd man high, just inside their zone. Its a beautiful thing when everyone is clicking, like the ANA game.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote