HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Marc Bergevin made his first mistake as a Habs GM?

Old
04-18-2013, 03:28 PM
LePoche69

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The Habs are not the Oilers, they have veterans mixed in with their young players.

I'm not comparing the players, I'm explaining to you that a player that will cost a fortune to bring in will not fill much of a need. The 10% or 20% he is better than Markov 5 on 5 will cost a guy like Eller or Plekanec, a 1st rounder plus a prospect(Kristo or Collberg). That would be a horrible move by MB. Plus at this point he wants to add depth to nthe organisation before making that type of move.
Of course the cost is what it's all about, I agree with you. In a trade, it's always a matter of cost, and I'll let Bergevin deal with that! )

And by the way, originally, I wasn't talking about Yandle specifically. I'm just saying that Habs need to add a #1.5 - #2 d-man to replace Markov who isn't one anymore, and that I would be willing to part with a good young forward to get one.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
This...

Seriously, MB is getting a free pass. He's no better than anyone else. What has he done so far? Low balling Subban, sign Bouillon, sign Prust (love the guy but he's a little expensive), extend Desharnais, trade for Ryder (good but not so exeptional move) and trade for Drewiske. That and the fact that we're still with the same ****** defense as last year. Proof: it didn't take that much for it to collapse. We had Markov bad but it has so little depth that the loss of freaking Emelin was too much to handle for the depth guys, they couldn't step up.
The reason MB gets a pass is because this team finished dead last in the East last year. Yup, that's right, dead last, and now we're fighting for the 2nd seed in the East. So ya, I'm gonna wait a bit before I start tightening up that knot around his neck, he bought himself some time.

Let's not forget that this is a transitional year. Who goes for broke during a transitional year, in a short season, after the team just finished 28th in the NHL????

I'm not going to be upset that we didn't go for JayBo or Regehr. What happens had we gotten those guys but lost? Regehr is an UFA that will likely test the market for his last ''big'' contract, and JayBo has another year at 7M with the cap coming down.
As it stands, we would have to make room for an extra 1.5M to just fit JayBo.
It would have come at the cost of two 2nd round picks, one first rounder, and two prospects. This for probably nothing.

If this was a full season I would understand why some would be upset. But we're talking about a deadline that came not even 40 games into the season, in a year where we didn't even have a real training camp, with a new coaching staff and management group that is very big on developing through the draft.
Ya, I'm not gonna be one of those fans that is upset at the management this season. Not this year.

Now, if the draft ends up being crap, and we do very little to fix some of our issues during the off season, then I'll be the first to point out some of the bad decisions. I mean, after this year, the transitional moves should be in full effect.

I do agree though that the lowball to PK was just silly.
You also forgot to mention Halpern as a good pick up.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:02 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The reason MB gets a pass is because this team finished dead last in the East last year. Yup, that's right, dead last, and now we're fighting for the 2nd seed in the East. So ya, I'm gonna wait a bit before I start tightening up that knot around his neck, he bought himself some time.

Let's not forget that this is a transitional year. Who goes for broke during a transitional year, in a short season, after the team just finished 28th in the NHL????

I'm not going to be upset that we didn't go for JayBo or Regehr. What happens had we gotten those guys but lost? Regehr is an UFA that will likely test the market for his last ''big'' contract, and JayBo has another year at 7M with the cap coming down.
As it stands, we would have to make room for an extra 1.5M to just fit JayBo.
It would have come at the cost of two 2nd round picks, one first rounder, and two prospects. This for probably nothing.

If this was a full season I would understand why some would be upset. But we're talking about a deadline that came not even 40 games into the season, in a year where we didn't even have a real training camp, with a new coaching staff and management group that is very big on developing through the draft.
Ya, I'm not gonna be one of those fans that is upset at the management this season. Not this year.

Now, if the draft ends up being crap, and we do very little to fix some of our issues during the off season, then I'll be the first to point out some of the bad decisions. I mean, after this year, the transitional moves should be in full effect.

I do agree though that the lowball to PK was just silly.
You also forgot to mention Halpern as a good pick up.
Come on Kriss, it's obvious. Sell all the assets and put it all on Red. I thought selling was logical! We have a lot of gamblers in this thread who are very vocal. I am quite certain the ones like us are being quiet because unlike them we can't use the future to prove a point.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:35 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Come on Kriss, it's obvious. Sell all the assets and put it all on Red. I thought selling was logical! We have a lot of gamblers in this thread who are very vocal. I am quite certain the ones like us are being quiet because unlike them we can't use the future to prove a point.
Stop with the drama.

Murray would have cost ONE 2nd round pick this season and ONE 2nd round pick in 2014.

And if Bergevin did not want to sign Murray to a contract, then that ONE 2nd round pick in 2014 would not apply.

One 2nd round pick to shore up our thin defense with a big DMan who hits and who blocks shots. And he is not afraid to drop the gloves to step up for his teammates.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Hugo Sham

i just cannot for the life of me, understand why Bergevin has not picked up more jam + a tough guy. Watching leafs tonight. running over the isles, who then try to change momentum and leafs are ready with orr and mclaren.

last night pitt targeting subban and gallagher.

our young guys need protection - we need momentum changers. it can't all be on Prust

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:30 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Stop with the drama.

Murray would have cost ONE 2nd round pick this season and ONE 2nd round pick in 2014.

And if Bergevin did not want to sign Murray to a contract, then that ONE 2nd round pick in 2014 would not apply.

One 2nd round pick to shore up our thin defense with a big DMan who hits and who blocks shots. And he is not afraid to drop the gloves to step up for his teammates.
I just don't think Murray would of played well for this team. Our team defense has been atrocious. Murray wouldn't make them feel more comfortable.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:35 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i just cannot for the life of me, understand why Bergevin has not picked up more jam + a tough guy. Watching leafs tonight. running over the isles, who then try to change momentum and leafs are ready with orr and mclaren.

last night pitt targeting subban and gallagher.

our young guys need protection - we need momentum changers. it can't all be on Prust
Well we did have Armstrong, who at the very least was a good energy guy. Moen just isn't Moen anymore. White would of been nice, but he has lost his mind. So we have 4 guys that do what you are asking, but only 1 in the lineup last night. (I know Moen was dressed, but can we say he played?)

Old
04-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Laboeuf

MB will make the draft picks count.

1st (Ryan Pulock)
2nd (Ryan Hartman)
2nd (Jordan Subban)
2nd (Anthony Duclair)
3rd (Robert Hagg)
3rd (Ryan Kujawinski)

Laboeuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:58 PM
bib
#believe

I'm pissed he didn't bring in a big, physical d-man.

Drewiski, that is not.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:09 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

MBs big mistake was extending Moen, Gorges, Desharnais....

And not extending Subban.

It's gonna cost us serious cap space....

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
MBs big mistake was extending Moen, Gorges, Desharnais....

And not extending Subban.

It's gonna cost us serious cap space....
Bergevin used his time machine to extend Gorges last January I see. What a dastardly thing to do.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:34 PM
zzoo

Sign Subban for 1½ years while sign Desharnais for 3 more years. And did Bergevin sign Moen for 3 years too ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:11 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Sign Subban for 1½ years while sign Desharnais for 3 more years. And did Bergevin sign Moen for 3 years too ?
This team is a shambles. Bergevin's good start has DDgenerated into a fiasco.

Although, I first believed that Bergevins' failure to upgrade our D depth at the trade deadline was his first mistake, I am now inclined to think that the bigger mistake was the signing of Desharnais to a four year extension. This hasty mid-season contract extension may have caused a rift in the team chemistry. Players such as Subban, Price and Maxpax, that had to wait to get the lucrative contract extensions, may not be to happy with the favoritism showed to DD. Others such as Pleks, Eller and Chuckie must not be to happy watching a non-productive player like DD get the easy ozone minutes and top power play minutes.

It's a shame really ... such a great start to the season turning into a crapfest.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
This team is a shambles. Bergevin's good start has DDgenerated into a fiasco.

Although, I first believed that Bergevins' failure to upgrade our D depth at the trade deadline was his first mistake, I am now inclined to think that the bigger mistake was the signing of Desharnais to a four year extension. This hasty mid-season contract extension may have caused a rift in the team chemistry. Players such as Subban, Price and Maxpax, that had to wait to get the lucrative contract extensions, may not be to happy with the favoritism showed to DD. Others such as Pleks, Eller and Chuckie must not be to happy watching a non-productive player like DD get the easy ozone minutes and top power play minutes.

It's a shame really ... such a great start to the season turning into a crapfest.
Are you kidding me? DD took a bridge deal that was for less money than everyone you listed. I can't believe people can post such garbage without thinking first. He went through the same process everyone else did. Bridge contract to prove yourself followed by a big money extension.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:26 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Are you kidding me? DD took a bridge deal that was for less money than everyone you listed. I can't believe people can post such garbage without thinking first. He went through the same process everyone else did. Bridge contract to prove yourself followed by a big money extension.
A bridge deal is usually a 2 year deal for a total of $3M to $5M.
Price, Maxpac, Eller have all signed these deals after 2 or 3 years in the nhl.
Why was DD signed to a 4yr $14m deal mid-season after one full year in the NHL? Yes, we all know why... and it's got nothing to do with earning it.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
A bridge deal is usually a 2 year deal for a total of $3M to $5M.
Price, Maxpac, Eller have all signed these deals after 2 or 3 years in the nhl.
Why was DD signed to a 4yr $14m deal mid-season after one full year in the NHL? Yes, we all know why... and it's got nothing to do with earning it.
He took a two year 850k bridge deal and played two full seasons on it. Do you need glasses or what? http://capgeek.com/player/98

Old
04-23-2013, 10:43 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
He took a two year 850k bridge deal and played two full seasons on it. Do you need glasses or what? http://capgeek.com/player/98
lol. That's not a bridge deal... that's a "lets pay you a little over minimum nhl wages so we can meet our 'petit gars de chez nous' quota" deal!

Old
04-23-2013, 10:53 PM
BubbleGumPlant

Quote:
lol. That's not a bridge deal... that's a "lets pay you a little over minimum nhl wages so we can meet our 'petit gars de chez nous' quota" deal!
No it's a bridge deal. It's, let's sign you to a 2 year deal so at the end of the term you are still a RFA so we can sign you to a longer contract. We keep your rights for longer so we can trade you when we wish. The alternative is we sign you to a non-bridge contract and you walk out on us at UFA cuz Habs fans are crazy and Quebec taxes suck!
It's a 4 year deal but DD can always be traded for draft picks.

BubbleGumPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:55 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
No it's a bridge deal. It's, let's sign you to a 2 year deal so at the end of the term you are still a RFA so we can't sign you to a longer contract. We keep your rights for longer so we ca. Trade you when we wish. The alternative is we sign you to a non-bridge contract and you walk out on us at UFA cuz Habs fans are crazy and Quebec taxes suck!

It's a 4 year deal but DD can always be traded for draft picks
Sorry, but Mike Milbury is no longer a GM in the NHL.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:43 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
No it's a bridge deal. It's, let's sign you to a 2 year deal so at the end of the term you are still a RFA so we can sign you to a longer contract. We keep your rights for longer so we can trade you when we wish. The alternative is we sign you to a non-bridge contract and you walk out on us at UFA cuz Habs fans are crazy and Quebec taxes suck!
It's a 4 year deal but DD can always be traded for draft picks.
More like, traded WITH draft picks.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:40 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
MB will make the draft picks count.

1st (Ryan Pulock)
2nd (Ryan Hartman)
2nd (Jordan Subban)
2nd (Anthony Duclair)
3rd (Robert Hagg)
3rd (Ryan Kujawinski)
Bro, do you even draft watch?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:17 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Mistake? At this point Bergevin is looking like a genius for judging his team isn't as good as their record on paper and not giving up any valuable assets for a Band-Aid that might help us get out of the first round.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Mistake? At this point Bergevin is looking like a genius for judging his team isn't as good as their record on paper and not giving up any valuable assets for a Band-Aid that might help us get out of the first round.
C'mon hoto, I thought you weren't one of them.

We've had a bad handful of games. Hardly worthy enough of a sample size to toss the first 40 games out the window. Teams are never as good as when they're winning or as bad as when they're losing, the same applies here.

To quote Carey Price, everyone "chill".

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:24 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
I've held my tongue long enough.

Bergevin is a clown. A wannabe businessman. Akin to a child watching The Apprentice (NBC) and then thinking they know what it takes to do business. He likes to dress up in his fancy clothes, likes to talk the talk, likes to rate himself as a 2 out of 10 when really in his mind he's thinking he is 10 out of 10, but he says he's 2 out of 10 in order to appear humble, when really, he's anything but. Montreal will never win anything under him. Gainey was better. You heard it here first. And, as most of you know, my batting average is very good.

Price is a decent 1B goalie getting 1A time. He's inconsistent at best, and will never win a playoff championship.

I know a lot of you will hate me for ruining your dreams, however, this is the truth.

I never promised it would be pretty, but the red pill is better than the blue.

Ignorance is never bliss.

F*C* JJ Daigneault
Disagree. He knows what he's doing, and it's usually not just him randomly making calls - he has a huge staff who know what they're doing. These much-maligned deals only look bad in the moment. Before this slump, when we were 1st, everyone was celebrating what a great GM he is. Only thing that's changed is the effort and focus from this team + an unlucky injury. He's building for the future so be glad we didn't give anything away. He's got capspace coming his way and is going to use it wisely.

People need to get off JJD, he's really not the problem. You couldn't teach hockey that bad!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Disagree. He knows what he's doing, and it's usually not just him randomly making calls - he has a huge staff who know what they're doing. These much-maligned deals only look bad in the moment. Before this slump, when we were 1st, everyone was celebrating what a great GM he is. Only thing that's changed is the effort and focus from this team + an unlucky injury. He's building for the future so be glad we didn't give anything away. He's got capspace coming his way and is going to use it wisely.

People need to get off JJD, he's really not the problem. You couldn't teach hockey that bad!
Don't worry.

I screenshotted his post and will be sure to bring it up if we do anything of substance in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Are you guys really that clueless or are you being sarcastic?

I'd wager clueless.

Last edited by Coldplay: 04-24-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote