HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Sacco named USA's HC for World Championships

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2013, 11:32 AM
  #176
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Lol but Red Wings fans should have nothing to complain about because Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league, led them to a Stanley Cup Championship and 1 win away from a second Cup. Does he put the wrong players out there a lot? Most likely, but what can you do when you've had players like Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Hudler etc all leave the last few years and deal with an injury bug that pretty much forces you to play Dan Cleary and Drew Miller on the powerplay...

I'd trade Sucko for Babcock instantly lol, I'd even pay for Sacco's ticket to Detroit and get it first class along with limo service from the airport in detroit and a 5 star hotel for the time being

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:33 AM
  #177
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 50
No Lidstrom, no playoffs. Hopefully this marks the return of the pre-Yzerman Dead Things.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:50 AM
  #178
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Some Red Wing fans hate Babcock now. The complaint is pretty much the same we have for Sacco.

Some of the things Wings fans complain about how Babcock puts wrong players on the ice at wrong time. Using forwards on PP etc etc...

Sounds about the same we the Avs fans complain about Sacco.

Edit: Also Wings don't really play the same puck possession game anymore, they use more of dump and chase now.
Babcock with the Wings right now, reminds me of Q with the Avs. An old, not very good lineup still trying to hang on, and the coach can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:12 PM
  #179
the_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
That's because the red wings aren't a very good team.
That's my point. Bottom line is, if you don't have a good roster a coach can only do so much. It's just that the coach gets the first blame when the team struggles.

Edit: Avs don't have a good roster, specially the blue line. Sacco coaching team US will answer a lot of our questions whether or not Avs struggles is Sacco. If team US does well, we'll know in fact you need good roster to win, and Sacco can't be at fault for Avs being where they are.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:27 PM
  #180
JoemAvs
Registered User
 
JoemAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
That's my point. Bottom line is, if you don't have a good roster a coach can only do so much. It's just that the coach gets the first blame when the team struggles.

Edit: Avs don't have a good roster, specially the blue line. Sacco coaching team US will answer a lot of our questions whether or not Avs struggles is Sacco. If team US does well, we'll know in fact you need good roster to win, and Sacco can't be at fault for Avs being where they are.
You want to compare coaching in the WHC to the NHL??
Really???
It is a tournament setup, there is no time to really prepare for your opponents and you really can not implement a real system.
You implement a very basic fundamental based system and try to motivate your team as good as you can.
I really can Sacco see succeed there. I think he is terrible. But if he fails and does abstain from his usual bonehead decisions, I won't hold it against him.
I mean Mike D'Antoni of all people got praised for his work with the National Team. That is all you need to know.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:06 PM
  #181
the_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
You want to compare coaching in the WHC to the NHL??
Really???
It is a tournament setup, there is no time to really prepare for your opponents and you really can not implement a real system.
You implement a very basic fundamental based system and try to motivate your team as good as you can.
I really can Sacco see succeed there. I think he is terrible. But if he fails and does abstain from his usual bonehead decisions, I won't hold it against him.
I mean Mike D'Antoni of all people got praised for his work with the National Team. That is all you need to know.
Well I know WHC is not the same as the NHL, it's not an 82 game season etc..but still, if team US does well, a lot of people are going to say look what happens when a coach has a good roster to work with.

And Sacco still has to put lines together, work on PP, PK for team US and we get to see the difference between the work he does there and the Avs.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:08 PM
  #182
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,093
vCash: 500
Holland gets much more criticism. Bc of signing vets, not giving kids chance to play, not preparing for loss of Lids and Stuart, less-than-optimal asset management.

Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league.. But he may not be the best coach for Detroit right now. He's been there since 05-06, coaches get tuned out, especially tough ones like Babcock.

He would be one of the best options for Avs imo.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:11 PM
  #183
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Well I know WHC is not the same as the NHL, it's not an 82 game season etc..but still, if team US does well, a lot of people are going to say look what happens when a coach has a good roster to work with.

And Sacco still has to put lines together, work on PP, PK for team US and we get to see the difference between the work he does there and the Avs.
Personally I'm very interested in this.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:00 PM
  #184
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,930
vCash: 500
Ruff is going to coach team Canada, when Canada finishes in the top 3 will that make the Sabres look bad? No. Sometimes you just have to make a change... good coaches get fired all the time. That is even giving Sacco a ton of credit as a possible good coach, which I don't think he is.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:35 PM
  #185
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,043
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Would absolutely love to see the Avs get Babcock. This team seriously needs a no-nonsense coach, someone that just hates losing and expects the very best out of his players. Plus the guy can clearly actually coach a system.

Let's hope the Red Wings fire him and the Avs are able to pick him up. I think his influence could be huge for these young guys.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:37 PM
  #186
the_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Ruff is going to coach team Canada, when Canada finishes in the top 3 will that make the Sabres look bad? No. Sometimes you just have to make a change... good coaches get fired all the time. That is even giving Sacco a ton of credit as a possible good coach, which I don't think he is.
Very true.

It's not so much that Sacco is a bad coach but he's not the right coach for the Avs. This team is too young, and after Giguere's comments we found out that some of the young players on the team have their heads somewhere else instead of hockey. Although i think any coach will have a hard time coaching the Avs right now because of mainly the d core is brutal.

Combination of being a young team, and lack of good players at some spots is what makes Sacco look bad.

The Avs need an older coach with tons of NHL experience to handle this team. Instead of Giguere speaking, there should be a tough coach not to let things like that happen where players worry more about Vegas trips than playing hockey.

Edit: I'm still not convinced whether or no Sacco is really a bad coach. He did take this team to playoffs one season. I would like to see him coach a good team with a good roster in the NHL to place final judgment.


Last edited by the_fan: 04-18-2013 at 03:43 PM.
the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:44 PM
  #187
Foppa Frossa
Registered User
 
Foppa Frossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,456
vCash: 50
Top pairing D for USA is totally going to be EJ and Hunwick

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:59 PM
  #188
Avs71
Registered User
 
Avs71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Top pairing D for USA is totally going to be EJ and Hunwick
That would be so disappointing. I really want to see what EJ looks like with JJ, Yandle, Goligoski, or Carle.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:03 PM
  #189
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,820
vCash: 50
I wish EJ would stay home. This wrist thing he keeps aggravating worries me.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:03 PM
  #190
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
That would be so disappointing. I really want to see what EJ looks like with JJ, Yandle, Goligoski, or Carle.
Out of the whole group I will guess that Goligoski and JJ (if Columbus doesn't make the playoffs) will. EJ, Yandle, and Carle probably will turn down an opportunity.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:06 PM
  #191
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Out of the whole group I will guess that Goligoski and JJ (if Columbus doesn't make the playoffs) will. EJ, Yandle, and Carle probably will turn down an opportunity.
I don't know. Unless people are injured, I think most will go. This is kind of a tryout for Sochi, and olympic committees get offended sometimes when you turn them down.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:10 PM
  #192
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't know. Unless people are injured, I think most will go. This is kind of a tryout for Sochi, and olympic committees get offended sometimes when you turn them down.
The Olympic committee wouldn't be stupid enough to exclude Yandle for the next Olympics. EJ has an injury issue, and Carle... let's just say he likes to enjoy his summers and time off, but if he wants to make an impression he might go. I have my doubts.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:11 PM
  #193
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 21,910
vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't know. Unless people are injured, I think most will go. This is kind of a tryout for Sochi, and olympic committees get offended sometimes when you turn them down.
Yup unless your already an established guy like say if Stamkos opts to stay home.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:38 PM
  #194
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
The Olympic committee wouldn't be stupid enough to exclude Yandle for the next Olympics. EJ has an injury issue, and Carle... let's just say he likes to enjoy his summers and time off, but if he wants to make an impression he might go. I have my doubts.
Yandle probably will go either way, but if Carle maybe struggles in the first half of next year he could find himself on the outside of the bubble.

Carle isn't a lock IMO. For most guys it could be determined by how well their season is going, and maybe something like refusing the WC when healthy could come into play if it's close. Especially if they want to have one or two defensive guys like Orpik like the US seems to do.

After Suter and Yandle there's JJ, Byfuglien, Shattenkirk, Carlson, Orpik, Martin, EJ, McDonagh, Goligoski, Gleason, and Scuderi who would all be in the running with Carle for the remaining 5-6 spots.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:08 AM
  #195
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
The Olympic committee wouldn't be stupid enough to exclude Yandle for the next Olympics. EJ has an injury issue, and Carle... let's just say he likes to enjoy his summers and time off, but if he wants to make an impression he might go. I have my doubts.
World Championships are very important for the selection committee, I remember hearing Team Canada representatives speak before the 2010 olympics that they wanted to see a lot of players in the 2009 world championships and said it was going to help them decide although it wasn't going to be the ultimate deciding factor and I have no doubts that Team USA is likely the same way

I'd love to see both Erik and Jack Johnson play together, although I think Columbus is going to make the playoffs so the next best option is Keith Yandle. Who knows, if EJ excels there it might convince the Avs to potentially trade for one of them

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:48 AM
  #196
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,328
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
World Championships are very important for the selection committee, I remember hearing Team Canada representatives speak before the 2010 olympics that they wanted to see a lot of players in the 2009 world championships and said it was going to help them decide although it wasn't going to be the ultimate deciding factor and I have no doubts that Team USA is likely the same way

I'd love to see both Erik and Jack Johnson play together, although I think Columbus is going to make the playoffs so the next best option is Keith Yandle. Who knows, if EJ excels there it might convince the Avs to potentially trade for one of them
Would that be the EJ Johnson pairing?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:04 AM
  #197
Sheet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,022
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Would absolutely love to see the Avs get Babcock. This team seriously needs a no-nonsense coach, someone that just hates losing and expects the very best out of his players. Plus the guy can clearly actually coach a system.

Let's hope the Red Wings fire him and the Avs are able to pick him up. I think his influence could be huge for these young guys.
I'll hope, just like I hope to win the power ball. About the same chances too. Note, if I do ever come across extremely large sums of money, I'm buying the avs. Any and all organizational decisions will be decided by hf board polls, which I'll also buy. I will also promptly remove all the avs moderators and replace them with friends and family so we can still have that nepotism were use to without it affecting the team.

This way when the board unanimously agrees to buy out staz and ej, because they're busts, it won't be on me.

I'll also start a Jersey shore esque reality show focusing on the avs top to bottom so there's no lack of info.

Prepare yourselves, minions.

Edit, after every game I'll have a vote to decide the top two players at fault for any losses. Whoever the lucky two losers are do a public relations event where every fan who donates 20 to charity x gets a free slap, open handed or with a slightly fetid fish.


Last edited by Sheet: 04-19-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:18 AM
  #198
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,168
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Would that be the EJ Johnson pairing?
EJ Johnson Johnson pairing.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:42 AM
  #199
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,949
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Would that be the EJ Johnson pairing?
No more tears.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
  #200
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,930
vCash: 500
Cody Nickolet ‏@WHLFromAbove 2m
#Avs D Matt Hunwick will play for Team USA at the World Championships later this spring. Good luck with that, Americans.

Sacco got his guy! RS any other confirmed players that you know of?

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.