HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Yankee and Dodger stadiums (and maybe more) to host NHL outdoor games?

Old
04-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Is there really not a thread on this here yet? I'm so confused.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...stadium-series

Lots of money will be made. Discuss!
Calling BC Place an outdoor venue is like calling a car with a sunroof a convertible.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:57 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

They should have done it 6 years ago when the roof caved in.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:54 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Would've preferred a Devils home game at Met Life next year. I'm sure they would've been fine waiting a year if they got that guaranteed. Obviously it'd be tough next season with the super bowl being here.
Probably, but I don't think the league wants to bring the WC back to the East again. MetLife is also never going to be realistically possible on NYD because that's always Week 17 and it'd be a schedulign nightmare. You'd have to make sure 2 NFL teams are on the road and somehow make the rink within one week (unless you want 2 NFL teams on the road in Week 16 AND 17) and disassemble it a few days later in case either team has a playoff game at home the following week.

That's also assuming the perfect scenario where NYD is on a Sunday. If it's a weekday, it's practically impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
The first LA and the 2 NY games are scheduled well on that bye weekend before the Super Bowl. As long as the stadiums are full and the games are watched on TV then I guess the golden goose will lay those eggs.

curious on the 2 NY games, I take it only one would be considered a home game. The Isles, I think will be a home team....one less at the coliseum.
Better yet, both NY games are during the week NY/NJ is hosting the Superbowl. NHL is trying to piggyback off the increased media presence the NFL will create, great idea IMO.

Rangers are the away team for both games, likely because that's the 'fair' thing to do (they get to play two but aren't home for either, other teams get to play one and are home) though there's really no practical difference outside of jersey colors.

I wonder if NHL will be wanting throwback jerseys for these events or just regular jerseys.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Tinalera

So now they're going with a "series" idea-is this just a one year thing or multiple years?

Guess this was the NHL's way of answering questions from teams all wanting outdoor games-they're giving them all in the same year and making it in a "series" format.

I think this might come under the "too much of a good thing" department, just my opinion.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:52 AM
saskganesh

I think it's a one year thing. Post lockout endorphins.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
5 games seems to me to be ruining the novelty.
I would think the novelty has worn off already anyway.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:26 AM
The CyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
Wanna bet how wrong you are?
sure, I will bet.

but lets be clear on what I am saying. I said it will lead to half empty stadiums. not saying this will happen in 2014. but if you keep doing 4 or 5 games a year, it will.

so what are we betting?

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:06 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
welp, that's a dead concept

why is HBO interested in a 24/7 for the Winter Classic if there's going to be 5 more games that season? why are casual fans going to tune in on New Year's Day if they can see the same thing 5 times between then and the end of the season? This reeks of NHL short sightedness and general NBC idiocy.
I wasn't planning on watching the WC anyway. Outdoor games are terrible hockey, plus I have no interest in either Detroit or Toronto.

I might watch the LA/Anaheim game just because it's "different", like outdoor games USED to be. Otherwise, this fad has been dead for years already. Not sure why people are complaining about it. The Winter Classic was cool the first couple times, does anyone really care anymore?

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:07 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
So now they're going with a "series" idea-is this just a one year thing or multiple years?

Guess this was the NHL's way of answering questions from teams all wanting outdoor games-they're giving them all in the same year and making it in a "series" format.

I think this might come under the "too much of a good thing" department, just my opinion.
Guess this was the NHL's way of saying "PACIFIC DIVISION TEAMS (AND NORTHWEST): YOU WILL NEVER BE IN A ****ING JANUARY 1 WINTER CLASSIC SO STOP ASKING. HERE IS A TOKEN OUTDOOR GAME THAT NOBODY WILL CARE ABOUT BECAUSE THE WHOLE MYSTIQUE IS DILUDED. ENJOY"

Not to mention that you can forget about ever seeing a classic west coast vs. east coast outdoor game (winter classic or not), like Kings/Sharks vs. Rangers, because most of these outdoor games will be "local" with some exceptions (but none that apply if a Pacific Division team is playing)

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
King_Stannis

Internet fans and experts aside, the novelty of these games will wear off when the games fail to sell out and they fail to produce a respectable rating. As long as those goals are met the league will gladly suffer the accusations of oversaturation.

King_Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:13 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Stannis View Post
Internet fans and experts aside, the novelty of these games will wear off when the games fail to sell out and they fail to produce a respectable rating. As long as those goals are met the league will gladly suffer the accusations of oversaturation.
I can pretty much guarantee you Ducks/Kings on Jan 25, 2014 will NOT even be on NBC in the US. Maybe NBCSN/NHLN-US. So ratings will be an issue.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I can pretty much guarantee you Ducks/Kings on Jan 25, 2014 will NOT even be on NBC in the US. Maybe NBCSN/NHLN-US. So ratings will be an issue.

Perhaps, that does seem to be the weak sister of the group. But if they can sell the gate out and even get a pretty good local rating I would think the NHL might consider that a success. Plus you will get some casual people who might tune in to see NHL hocky with palm trees in the near distance, so it may not be a complete disaster ratings wise.

I like that they're doing it smart with the NY games. Three NY area teams, so travel & hotel is not really a huge issue in the wake of the SB. Pretty ingenious if you ask me. The only issue is that there is a good chance that all 3 teams might be pretty mediocre or bad when they play.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:44 AM
cutchemist42

I know the demand for these games is going to drop once people realize it's not the greatest event to go to. The NHL might as well milk it while people are still buying into the event.

http://deadspin.com/the-nhl-will-pl....ium=socialflow

"This was inevitable, and has been a long time coming. No one ever got rich by being sparing with the crowd-pleasers. Every NHL city will be clamoring for one of these. And when the local novelty of freezing for three hours wears off? The dirty little secret of the Winter Classic has always been that's more fun to watch on TV anyway."

cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:35 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
I wasn't planning on watching the WC anyway. Outdoor games are terrible hockey, plus I have no interest in either Detroit or Toronto.

I might watch the LA/Anaheim game just because it's "different", like outdoor games USED to be. Otherwise, this fad has been dead for years already. Not sure why people are complaining about it. The Winter Classic was cool the first couple times, does anyone really care anymore?
I care about the WC, not because 'zOMG they're playing hockey outside!' but because it's a marquee event on a holiday that for 110+ years has always been a football day. The day it's on is a bigger deal to me than the fact that it's outside.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

I don't know about you guys. But I completely lost interest in watching the winter classic now.

It's no longer a special event anymore IMO.

I probably won't be watching it unless it's a game I was going to watch anyway if it was indoors.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

The NHL had all the buzz with this Leafs/Wings Classic last year. First they ruined it with the lockout, now they're making sure it'll be the lowest rated classic of all time in the US, what with the New York market now completely covered by their own games 3 weeks later and Chicago and Pittsburgh markets also having their own game. Genius decision.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:14 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I know the demand for these games is going to drop once people realize it's not the greatest event to go to. The NHL might as well milk it while people are still buying into the event.

http://deadspin.com/the-nhl-will-pl....ium=socialflow

"This was inevitable, and has been a long time coming. No one ever got rich by being sparing with the crowd-pleasers. Every NHL city will be clamoring for one of these. And when the local novelty of freezing for three hours wears off? The dirty little secret of the Winter Classic has always been that's more fun to watch on TV anyway."
The danger I see is when casual fans go to a "Winter Classic series" game in a football stadium and decide that it isn't worth paying money to see any game live. NHL fans pay a lot of money to attend a game in person. The league should be very careful not to make them feel that they aren't getting value for that experience.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

It will be funny to see MSG Network market the crap out of this for the Rangers (I'm betting they do a 24/7 style show leading up to it) and then MAYBE do a "Devils in 60" of the game if the Devils win.. I love that we have that lucrative TV deal with MSG, but we all know they're never going to market the Devils/Islanders remotely close to the way they promote the Rangers.. Don't blame them and I get it, but it sucks for growing the Devils' fanbase

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
I'm fine with the number of games, just dislike the two in the same venue 3 days apart with one of the same teams playing in both games.

You want to have Isles/Rangers at Yankee Stadium, that's fine. The Isles have been asking Bettman for that game for years. They finally got respectable enough for him to listen. But there's no need to shoehorn in the Devils for another game. Not a knock on the Devils, but since their state is hosting the SB, give them their own game to celebrate it.

The SB is technically being played in NJ, so let the Devils host their own game at Rutgers Stadium (52K capacity). Let them host the Flyers, Caps, or Sabres. This would be HUGE in N.J. This way the media market keeps the game, but it's a different, and much larger, venue with different teams taking part.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:57 PM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The NHL had all the buzz with this Leafs/Wings Classic last year. First they ruined it with the lockout, now they're making sure it'll be the lowest rated classic of all time in the US, what with the New York market now completely covered by their own games 3 weeks later and Chicago and Pittsburgh markets also having their own game. Genius decision.
Ratings are not necessarily a zero sum game.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

except that the only reason to do this is because the ratings have been so solid... the logic is clearly that more of a good thing will be good for everyone. This is clearly the point of diminishing returns.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:52 PM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post

They should have done it 6 years ago when the roof caved in.
WOW! I've never seen a picture from this angle of the cave in.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

2 NYC outdoor games same week as NYC superbowl

Superbowl in NY/NJ Feb 2nd

Jan 28th 29th Outdoor games in NYC.

Will the superbowl effect these games? I would think they would have sold out anyway but would the super bowl increase the prices of the outdoor games.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:47 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Superbowl in NY/NJ Feb 2nd

Jan 28th 29th Outdoor games in NYC.

Will the superbowl effect these games? I would think they would have sold out anyway but would the super bowl increase the prices of the outdoor games.
Jan 26th and Jan 29th, there's also already a thread on this

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:55 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Jan 26th and Jan 29th, there's also already a thread on this
Didn't see that, mods please merge.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote