HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Playoffs or No playoffs (mod can make poll?)(sure)

View Poll Results: Should we make it or should we go?
Yes, I want the Wings in the playoffs 62 72.94%
No, I don't want the Wings in the playoffs 23 27.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2013, 03:35 PM
  #51
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,782
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Glad to see the majority here have their heads on straight as hockey fans.
Some of the no votes, I'm guessing, are from fans of teams chasing us.

SoupNazi is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:37 PM
  #52
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Some of the no votes, I'm guessing, are from fans of teams chasing us.
And maybe some of the voters are fans of teams in the top two seeds who realize just how easy the Wings are to beat.

I would love to play the Wings as a Hawks fan, but I would be conflicted because I would also love to see them not make the playoffs for the first time in 22 years.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:38 PM
  #53
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,427
vCash: 500
If losing to the Sharks twice and getting thumped by the Preds in five games didn't wake Holland up I don't see missing the playoffs by two points in a short, injury-riddled season as doing it either.

Guess I'll take a couple fun evenings out at the bar watching playoff hockey even if Chicago is going to school us.

icKx is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
  #54
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,381
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
And maybe some of the voters are fans of teams in the top two seeds who realize just how easy the Wings are to beat.

I would love to play the Wings as a Hawks fan, but I would be conflicted because I would also love to see them not make the playoffs for the first time in 22 years.
Why, outside of one blowout all those games have been close. Hawks fans should be big Dallas fans, they simply don't match up well.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:41 PM
  #55
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I just want to see how they react to not being in the playoffs.
All my emotions is summarized like that


To me, I just wanna see how they react,,,, If they don't react at all and continue the same ****** way.. well then ****.. but WHAT IF, they make a lot of changes...holy ****, that will be fun.

It SHOULD be a wake up call, but it necessarily isn't, But...


....I want to "take that chance".

mindfly is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:46 PM
  #56
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Some of the no votes, I'm guessing, are from fans of teams chasing us.
I recognize everyone in the "No" except for two, whom I guess are non-red-wings-fans.

mindfly is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:49 PM
  #57
SirloinUB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I just want to see how they react to not being in the playoffs. At least it should be a wake up call.

Looking at the Wings' current trend (and past off season's), there's no reason to believe that "a good summer" or "a couple of good pick-ups" are going to turn this team back into a long-term contender.
The fact that we can compete for the playoffs with average players such as Cleary, Eaves, Quincey, White, Coliacovo, Abdelkader, Lashoff, Filpulla pllaying minor/prominent roles is exactly why I believe a couple good signings will turn it around. If these guys can dissapear/bump down the depth chart from signing quality UFAs like Horton, Stallberg, Roy, and a trade for a dman, I can forsee a rebound for this team.

SirloinUB is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:56 PM
  #58
Capsized
Parity is a Disease
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 500
I don't think the Wings have much chance of winning the cup either but the playoffs are a strange beast. Detroit has played some very tight games against Chicago. They lost in shootouts but they can play with good teams. Injuries, bounces, implosions, ect all happen in the playoffs. Goaltenders get hot. Roll players score hat tricks. Intangibles surface and they cant be predicted. You have to be in the playoffs to find out what can happen. Maybe the Wings get trounced in the first round and maybe they don't. However we would get to see how some of the young players respond to the different style game and pressure. Besides draft picks are a roll of the dice. High picks don't guarantee anything. Zetterberg/Datsyuk were late picks, Crosby a first overall. I would venture to guess that when all is said and done the Wings will have gotten much more mileage out of either player than the Pens will get out of Crosby. Playing for draft picks is weak. I am glad that kind of culture hasn't crept into the Wings organization even if it has in some of their fan base.

Capsized is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 04:04 PM
  #59
ChadS
Registered User
 
ChadS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
The fact that we can compete for the playoffs with average players such as Cleary, Eaves, Quincey, White, Coliacovo, Abdelkader, Lashoff, Filpulla pllaying minor/prominent roles is exactly why I believe a couple good signings will turn it around. If these guys can dissapear/bump down the depth chart from signing quality UFAs like Horton, Stallberg, Roy, and a trade for a dman, I can forsee a rebound for this team.
But if nothing changes, what are the chances of those things happening? Signing quality UFA's and trading hasn't happened in a while. At least in one off-season.

ChadS is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 04:06 PM
  #60
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,381
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsized View Post
I don't think the Wings have much chance of winning the cup either but the playoffs are a strange beast. Detroit has played some very tight games against Chicago. They lost in shootouts but they can play with good teams. Injuries, bounces, implosions, ect all happen in the playoffs. Goaltenders get hot. Roll players score hat tricks. Intangibles surface and they cant be predicted. You have to be in the playoffs to find out what can happen. Maybe the Wings get trounced in the first round and maybe they don't. However we would get to see how some of the young players respond to the different style game and pressure. Besides draft picks are a roll of the dice. High picks don't guarantee anything. Zetterberg/Datsyuk were late picks, Crosby a first overall. I would venture to guess that when all is said and done the Wings will have gotten much more mileage out of either player than the Pens will get out of Crosby. Playing for draft picks is weak. I am glad that kind of culture hasn't crept into the Wings organization even if it has in some of their fan base.
Crosby saved the Pens franchise and got them a new building. I don't think you can say they haven't gotten a lot of mileage out of him, even with the injuries. He makes them a fortune and has brought them a cup.

I am not sure hoping for draft picks is a great idea, but I am glad they didn't trade the first this year in the event they missed the playoffs. I like this draft a lot.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 04:10 PM
  #61
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
I really don't want this to come down to a you are less of a fan argument if you don't want them to make the playoffs. I am merely arguing that the long term health of the franchise will be better off if they don't make the playoffs. I certainly don't think less of any fan who wants to see the Wings make the playoffs because they believe they will get hot. I disagree that it will happen, but you are entitled to feel that way as a fan. I have done it before and I am sure I will do it too if the Wings do end up making the playoffs. I call it ignoring your brain and listening to your heart.

The Wings are in this position because management has been far too passive and content with the results. The playoff streak ending might compel management to think outside the box. I am actually skeptical this will happen since getting destroyed in the first round by the Preds should be reason enough to be more aggressive and risky with the management of the team, but I sure don't think losing in the first round again has any chance of convincing management to change their methods. They have far too many excuses to explain why they got smoked by the Hawks. They don't have any excuses to not make it in as the 8th seed against a Columbus team with half the talent Detroit has.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 04:12 PM
  #62
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 29,140
vCash: 500
MODERATION NOTE:

I'm sorry to have to do this, but I think many of you need a refresher on the site rule on Flaming. I'm getting tired of editing/deleting, or potentially asking the mods to hand out infractions--- because this is simple.

Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example, if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack.

I can't show up to a thread on a topic here without seeing someone pulling out the "if you think _______, then give your head a shake/you're a moron/ you're not a true fan / go find another sport.

How about sticking to the thread topic and not going after your fellow posters?

Fugu is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 06:22 PM
  #63
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 29,140
vCash: 500
The thread is still open.

Fugu is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 06:30 PM
  #64
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The thread is still open.
Sure, but what's left other than some insults?

Look, folks, I just wanted to express that I'm glad so many people are rooting for a playoff run. That's just more fun for me on every level as a hockey fan. Playoffs are what I look forward to each season...

Even if it's going to be a spanking by the Hawks. I'd rather see them try than just admit total defeat now.

Bench is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 06:55 PM
  #65
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,476
vCash: 500
Lets put it this way. I'm rooting for a playoff run because I love the Wings. But at the same time I don't mind if they miss the playoffs because I love the Wings.

The Nose is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 07:03 PM
  #66
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Lets put it this way. I'm rooting for a playoff run because I love the Wings. But at the same time I don't mind if they miss the playoffs because I love the Wings.
You're a complicated man, Nose.

Bench is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 07:10 PM
  #67
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
MODERATION NOTE:

I'm sorry to have to do this, but I think many of you need a refresher on the site rule on Flaming. I'm getting tired of editing/deleting, or potentially asking the mods to hand out infractions--- because this is simple.

Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example, if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack.

I can't show up to a thread on a topic here without seeing someone pulling out the "if you think _______, then give your head a shake/you're a moron/ you're not a true fan / go find another sport.

How about sticking to the thread topic and not going after your fellow posters?
We're still allowed to call Holland and Babcock idiots right?

Vladdy84 is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 07:17 PM
  #68
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
You're a complicated man, Nose.
I prefer Dos Equis.

The Nose is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 07:22 PM
  #69
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 29,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
We're still allowed to call Holland and Babcock idiots right?

Indeed. Until they open HF accounts and we know it's them talking to us, they're fair game.

Fugu is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 07:32 PM
  #70
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats
 
Kronwalled55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
I want to believe that Holland and co. would shake this team up a bit if they missed the playoffs, but I really can't see it. Illitch is in full-Tigers mode right now (not complaining, big Tigers fan too ) and Holland likely believes what he's doing is best for the team now and in the future. It's an all around crappy situation.

Kronwalled55 is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 07:45 PM
  #71
GT500x
Im OK where we're at
 
GT500x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: My comfort zone
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
I don't care either way. There's no guarantee that they win the cup if they make it into the playoffs so why shed a tear if they don't. The streak is impressive but like all things, we have to be able to let go of side goals for the sake of progressing toward a more important one. Having said that, if the Wings do make the playoffs I want them to go all the way. I can't stand the thought of being booted by Chicago, Anaheim, or Arm-Pittsburgh.

Miss the playoffs = oh well. let's get better
Make the playoffs = they better go all the way

GT500x is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 08:16 PM
  #72
P U L L H A R D
#shewenttoharvard
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,853
vCash: 420
I'm so torn.

You always want to see your team do the best possible job,

but at this point, a few spots higher in the draft could end up meaning a lot, and would help jumpstart the team in a positive direction.

I can't vote, too hard. Losing quickly to the Hawks will suck, even if it is playoffs... but missing them... is awful.

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 08:22 PM
  #73
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
Miss the playoffs = oh well. let's get better
Make the playoffs = they better go all the way
Why can't they make the playoffs and get better in the off-season? A handful of spots in the middle of the draft shouldn't make or break the franchise.

My hunch is Babcock is coaching to a team he knows can't score goals. He's trying to beat other teams with defensive and safe hockey. So my hope is the focus will be getting guys in the off-season who can score goals.

Trades, free agency, whatever... Holland can't try the same roster again or even the most cheery Wings fans are going to run out of patience.

Bench is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 08:24 PM
  #74
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I'm so torn.

I can't vote, too hard.
Some would say you and Holland have a lot in common.

Bench is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 08:30 PM
  #75
P U L L H A R D
#shewenttoharvard
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,853
vCash: 420
Bench
Moderator

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,538
vCash: 500
One Liners: Over 9000

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.