HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Moore

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 11:02 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
For every 10 times they lug the puck up the ice, they look nervous or scared nine of them.

Thats why you get dump ins. They are so scared to get yelled at or benched, they never pinch. They rarely carry the puck over the blue line. They barely shoot the puck.

Watch the 1994 team that most of this board is sick of. Everybody backchecked. You know why? Because Keenan forced all his d-men to pinch. Wells pinched. Lowe used to go behind the net. Heck, on the first two goals of game 7 were a direct result of d-men carrying the play in deep. Graves' goal was a direct result of a deep Beukeboom pinch that drew a penalty.

The boring nature of our defense is all on Torts. He's created this environment. The question is to what end? Hopefully he has this master plan where by years four or five he tells his defense "OK, now that you got the defense part under control, i want you to focus on offense, because we have a world class goalie and a system that emphasizes on forwards backchecking"

Hmmm. Doubtful.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:08 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Last point: How many goals has henrik let in because he's screened by his own guy or it deflects off a d-man?

Look at Henrik's shootout numbers. He stops pucks when he sees them.

The D-men need to start taking chances. Put the pressure on the other team. make their forwards backcheck and spend 2 mins a shift chasing a cycle. Under Torts its been the other way around.

Fights dont set the tone for a game. Forechecking and hitting do. The Rangers do neither.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:11 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

The few games last week (I think) where DZ and McD were leading rushes and going to the net, what happened to that? Did it cause and odd man rush against that scared the D into not going deep?

Moore did it once yesterday I believe.

Girardi's OT goal, playing deep.

The D needs to stay involved and trust Hank.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
The few games last week (I think) where DZ and McD were leading rushes and going to the net, what happened to that? Did it cause and odd man rush against that scared the D into not going deep?

Moore did it once yesterday I believe.

Girardi's OT goal, playing deep.

The D needs to stay involved and trust Hank.
It's the exception, not the rule. I'd like to see it a change in on-ice philosophy, because based off who the Rangers have been drafting lately, there seems to be a disconnet between front office and staff.

It's like opening an Italian restaurant, purchasing imported Italian specialties for the menu, and the chef uses all of it to make Sloppy Joes.

You got a kid like Skjei and Moore, in addition to Staal, McDonagh and MDZ. Sather loves mobile d-men. Always. It boggles my mind how a team with so much skill and size on the back end has such a tough time generating real scoring chances.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:55 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
It's the exception, not the rule. I'd like to see it a change in on-ice philosophy, because based off who the Rangers have been drafting lately, there seems to be a disconnet between front office and staff.

It's like opening an Italian restaurant, purchasing imported Italian specialties for the menu, and the chef uses all of it to make Sloppy Joes.

You got a kid like Skjei and Moore, in addition to Staal, McDonagh and MDZ. Sather loves mobile d-men. Always. It boggles my mind how a team with so much skill and size on the back end has such a tough time generating real scoring chances.
Is it coaching or is it execution on the players' part?

Torts on Girardi's game winner in LI: Its a great shot. Were using Danny more on the power play. Hes very underrated as far as his skill level and getting us out of our end zone. Id still like to see Danny join the rush more. I think more of our defenseman need to join the rush more. Weve tried to put a lot of pressure on them as of late, especially. But Danny, because hes considered a shut-down guy, everyone thinks thats just a defensive defenseman. He can do a lot of different things and he certainly showed that with that shot there.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Jax1166

How would you rate Moore?

Has he played as desired?
Is he better than Strahlman/Emminger?

Is he a 3,4, or 5 now and in the future?

I think he is a 4 and perhaps the 3rd best d on the current roster, Staal excluded.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 2m
Torts, speaking about John Moore, calls him "Mac-like," meaning he looks like Ryan McDonagh on the ice and wears a similar No. 17 and 27
Quote:
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 1m
Torts also said he's trying to work Brassard more into the PP. Says he wants to get John Moore more man-advantage time as well.
Torts likes Moore.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
How would you rate Moore?

Has he played as desired?
Is he better than Strahlman/Emminger?

Is he a 3,4, or 5 now and in the future?

I think he is a 4 and perhaps the 3rd best d on the current roster, Staal excluded.
I don't think he's better than Stralman at this point in time but have faith that he will be in the future. Just needs to bulk up.

Also great to see Torts say he wants to give him more PP time. Hopefully at the expense of Girardi.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Jax1166

I think Moore is better than Strahlman and is a number 4.
I'd argue defensively he is better than Del Zotto.
Question is what is his future?
A number three?
Offensive upside?

Old
04-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

You can't really compare him to Stralman or Del Zotto at this point. He's not seeing the minutes they see against the better competition that they face.

If he can learn the intricacies of the game, he certainly has the tools to be a very good 2nd pairing player.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You can't really compare him to Stralman or Del Zotto at this point. He's not seeing the minutes they see against the better competition that they face.

If he can learn the intricacies of the game, he certainly has the tools to be a very good 2nd pairing player.
And we should be VERY excited for that. We have Staal and Mcd locked up at the top two for the next half dozen years at least hopefully, Moore and DZ could be a great second pair for that time as well.

Moore just needs to get the ice time to develop into that. If he starts getting around 14 minutes a game, that is a good sign. Next year give him some more and see how he handles it.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Very excited about him. Sees the ice well, skates sort of like McD (not quite as powerful of a stride though.) Passes the puck to his teammates, even! What a concept! We don't need him to become a 1st pairing defenseman. He should become a 2nd pairing guy.

He needs to become stronger. And stop being like Anisimov in taking big hits.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:42 PM
dethomas07

hes better then strals and eminger.. he is deff mac-like.. hes going to be real good!

Old
04-17-2013, 07:15 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
I do sometimes have a hard time distinguishing if it's Moore or mcD.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Old
04-18-2013, 08:51 PM
eco's bones

Great game tonight. Very involved. Did really well in the fight as well and I think the team fed off that. Looks like he can be a hell of a player.

Old
04-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Lundsanity30

This kid is gonna be a stud.

Old
04-18-2013, 08:57 PM
JayQueensNY88*

I thought I read Ryan Suter comparisons. Pretty sure I did

Old
04-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
People will bump this because of the fight, but he was making very good keep ins at the ozone. Good game by him tonight (fight or no fight)

Old
04-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
People will bump this because of the fight, but he was making very good keep ins at the ozone. Good game by him tonight (fight or no fight)
Yeah, he still had an awesome game without the fight. I love watching him skate, wish him or McDonagh would play on the right side. What a beautiful pairing that would be to watch!

Old
04-18-2013, 09:17 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Not disputing that I bumped it at least in part because of the fight. He still is playing really well and he's playing a physical game. For a comparison look no further than Matt Gilroy--skates and carries the puck really well, good offensive instincts but not much willingness when it comes to playing his position or taking and giving hits. That's why he's a scratch every night.

And back to the fight--it gave the team a lift in a game they struggled to win despite the score at the end. That's something that some people might not want to admit either.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:31 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Was drooling over his game tonight even before the fight.The fight put his game over the top for me.All my Tom Poti fears can be put to rest this guy is no TP.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:33 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Maybe a Moore McIlrath pairing next year as our bottom pairing..That would be sweet.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:40 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Yea kid looked really good in both ends. With a dman this young some growing pains are inevitable but the potential is there in spades. Strong battle level.

04-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

We got a true fighter here, he destroyed that guy. Our new enforcer

Old
04-18-2013, 09:50 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
I thought I read Ryan Suter comparisons. Pretty sure I did
I can see it...doubt Moore will be as good as Suter, who is arguably the 2nd best defenseman in the NHL, but they're similar players.

Moore has certainly looked really solid thus far. He oozes potential. Big, can skate, move the puck, and he's smart. I think our pro scouts might have snatched another young dman away from an unsuspecting GM (although CBJ has a lot of D depth compared to MTL).

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Closed Thread