HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 07:36 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
I've been a huge Jones fan all year, but my god do I want Barkov now

Old
04-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
The Oilers aren't going to be in position for Mack or Drouin (or Barkov most likely).

If we win lottery than its Jones. If we don't win lottery we are picking 5-9 and those players are gone
Wanna bet?

Old
04-18-2013, 07:58 PM
jalbert

I. Want. Barkov.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:01 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I'm currently praying for as many losses as possible down the stess. 1) for the obvious reason of guaranteeing one of Mackinnon/Barkov or Monahan. 2) Make for such a miserable ending that a huge overhaul has to happen this summer.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:20 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Wanna bet?
Lol. Can't make that bet....this is the Oilers we are talking about

We suck but it seems this year there are teams just as hopeless as we've been the last several years. I don't know if Fla, Car, Nsh will win a game the rest of the way. Cal and Col are playing a bit better....Tmp is running on neutral. Hoping for a NJ win today because they have been absolutely brutal. I can't see us falling below 9 but can't see us getting into 2-4 either

Old
04-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I'm currently praying for as many losses as possible down the stess. 1) for the obvious reason of guaranteeing one of Mackinnon/Barkov or Monahan. 2) Make for such a miserable ending that a huge overhaul has to happen this summer.
I sort of agree. I mean I hate the losing culture around here, but changes need to be made. If MacT doesn't follow through this offseason and he doesn't reshape our bottom six, add to our d-core, or mix in some grit to our top 6, I'm GOING TO BE PISSED!

Old
04-18-2013, 09:59 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I've been a huge Jones fan all year, but my god do I want Barkov now
I honestly, based on schedule, feel we will finish IN the top 5. 1 game against COl than double face plant versus Anaheim, then on to minnie, Blackhawks, and Nucks.

Safe to say we will be in the final five. I just hope Dubes gets all the starts.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:02 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
And then watch... Oilers will finish with 5 pick... the stars align and top four goes Jones-MacKinnon-Drouin-Nichushkin... and while fans debate Monahan or Barkov in those few seconds MacT will make his "bold" move... trade down for "their guy" (Lazar Horvat) so they can get the next MAP and Jacques...

Old
04-18-2013, 10:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I honestly, based on schedule, feel we will finish IN the top 5. 1 game against COl than double face plant versus Anaheim, then on to minnie, Blackhawks, and Nucks.

Safe to say we will be in the final five. I just hope Dubes gets all the starts.
Same here. The big question is will Barkov make it to us? If we're picking at #5, I think there's a good chance Nashville could take Nurse, or Tampa could take Nichushkin, but if Calgary is at #4, we probably don't get Barkov. If we're top 4 we're looking good though. I want Drouin the least, but he'd be a damn good consolation prize

04-18-2013, 10:11 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
And then watch... Oilers will finish with 5 pick... the stars align and top four goes Jones-MacKinnon-Drouin-Nichushkin... and while fans debate Monahan or Barkov in those few seconds MacT will make his "bold" move... trade down for "their guy" (Lazar Horvat) so they can get the next MAP and Jacques...
It's already been stated that they like Barkov a lot more, so I HIGHLY doubt we have to worry about that. I would be pissed though

Old
04-18-2013, 10:15 PM
SterlingArcher

Barkov is their guy. He plays a complete game and has like 53% on the dot in the Finnish league. He has Mikko Koivu but with more offence type of upside. Which is amazing. I really want him brings, size, toughness, scoring, defence the whole 200 foot game. Only thing that needs work is his skating but we have done well with developing and fixing guys with those issues before ie. lander eberle

Old
04-18-2013, 10:29 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
It's already been stated that they like Barkov a lot more, so I HIGHLY doubt we have to worry about that. I would be pissed though
the only way i see the Oilers trading down is if CLB wants to move and they are willing to give up 2 1st round picks (1 being their own and the other being NJs) PLUS Johansen. Or OTT gives up Stone AND a solid guy like Greening just to flip picks.

That would make me think but Barkov is still THE guy in my opinion. To me the packages above dont even do it for me. Barkov is the better player. From a team depth perspective it might make more sense to do a step down and take a few players we need now and then draft a lesser prospect. But i dont see us trading down for an extra pick.

MacT did have a point that with our core we do have the strength to trade from strength. If people want to move up and take a flip of picks they will pay out the *** for it.

I see us in the top 5 and not moving. Barkov is more needed here than Jones, Nate, Drouin etc. He is also the best of that position. I dont see us passing on him and if we have to move up one or two spots to block him from another team i think MacT will do it. More likely MacT moves up one or two spots than down.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I'd say a number 1 defenceman is much more needed here than a #2 center.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Schultz and Klefbom will likely fill the 1-2 positions on the Oiler's blueline, and Marincin looks fairly promising, like he could become a compete shutdown type defenseman in time with very good offensive upside.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:49 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
I'm MUCH more confident that Barkov can be a #2C than that Nurse will be a #1 dman

Old
04-19-2013, 12:09 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
I'm MUCH more confident that Barkov can be a #2C than that Nurse will be a #1 dman
Agree with this a ton. Outside of Jones, it's the rest of the DMen are gambles to become top pair IMO, but there are a ton of guys who are really likely to become at least #2 Cs.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:11 AM
oStealthKiller

Quote:
I agree, i think that barkov will be the next kopitar while nurse MAY turn out to be bogosian

Old
04-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Schultz and Klefbom will likely fill the 1-2 positions on the Oiler's blueline, and Marincin looks fairly promising, like he could become a compete shutdown type defenseman in time with very good offensive upside.
Quote:
Well, I don't see Schultz or Klefbom being #1 defencemen. Of course, as long as the rest of our D-core is solid we really don't need a legit #1. And I was talking about Jones, referring to this quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I see us in the top 5 and not moving. Barkov is more needed here than Jones, Nate, Drouin etc. He is also the best of that position. I dont see us passing on him and if we have to move up one or two spots to block him from another team i think MacT will do it. More likely MacT moves up one or two spots than down.
Jones is projected to be a #1 defenceman. Barkov could be a #1 center but on our team he would probably be #2 behind Nuge. #1 D > #2 C. I also think a #1 D would have a greater impact than a #2 C.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:41 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Well, I don't see Schultz or Klefbom being #1 defencemen. Of course, as long as the rest of our D-core is solid we really don't need a legit #1. And I was talking about Jones, referring to this quote...
Jones won't be available to us though so it's a moot point. We're looking at Barkov/Monahan/Nurse/Pulock/etc

Old
04-19-2013, 12:42 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
From all accounts, nurse would be a perfect number 2 dman. I'm my sure of he will ever be a number one but he helped change the culture of his team when he entered the OHL. He would be a damn nice addition if Barkov is off the board. On most teams Barkov would be a number 1 center.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
PRV-Gagner-Yak
XXXX-Barkov-XXXX
XXXX-Horcoff-Brown
Smithson-Hartski

Move Hemsky, Smyth, Belanger, Petrell, and Jones out. Bring in some bigger bodies.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:50 AM
nafrelio

IF we did land Barkov, he could be sent to the minors if he came over but needed more seasoning, no?

Old
04-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
From what I can tell, you'd be hard pressed to take Barkov, or Monahan especially, over Drouin because of "size"

That would be like taking JVR over Pat Kane because you want a "big forward"

so, take yet another 5'10", 180LB dangler, then try and trade 2 of our four 5'10", 180LB danglers for what we actually need?. this fascination with danglers is gonna make me slash my wrists. How many danglers does LA have? Boston? Pittsburg?

at some point, and the point has actually passed, the Oilers have to build a team. they need a small danglers as much as they need another Cory Potter.

if they take Drouin I will lose my f--king mind.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:59 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I don't think many would seriously argue that Nurse is ranked above Barkov. If Barkov is gone... Nurse would be a solid pick but who wouldn't rather have a big C like Barkov who looks like he has solid #1 Centre potential.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:05 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
so, take yet another 5'10", 180LB dangler, then try and trade 2 of our four 5'10", 180LB danglers for what we actually need?. this fascination with danglers is gonna make me slash my wrists. How many danglers does LA have? Boston? Pittsburg?

at some point, and the point has actually passed, the Oilers have to build a team. they need a small danglers as much as they need another Cory Potter.

if they take Drouin I will lose my f--king mind.
Honestly if the Oilers were picking say 8th... and for some reason Drouin fell and was still on the board... and all the other elite names were already gone... I'd have no problem at all with the Oilers picking him.

He'd definitely be BPA and he's arguably the most talented player in the entire draft. He may not be ideal to fill the "bigger and more physical" mandate everyone is shooting for on the Oilers, but innate talent and skill conquers all.

Management would simply have to make other moves to fill those holes. Their incompetence to do so can't be a reason to not choose a supremely talented player like Drouin.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:08 AM
Shizuka

Even with the choke job down the stretch, I'd be very suprised if we're in a position to draft Barkov once everything is settled and done by end of April. Monahan seems like he might fill in nicely eventually but again, not sure he will drop past 5 or 6?

I've a feeling management might go for Lazar if we're in the 8-10 range.

Closed Thread