HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

HOF player subtraction

Old
04-18-2013, 09:10 AM
thinlizzy

vCash: 500
HOF player subtraction

I took a quick glance at the inductee's and have to say if I could remove one from the list it would be Clark Gilles. I know he played a part in the Islanders dynasty, but to me he didn't deserve to get into the HOF. JMO

Any others that might be on shaky ground ?

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:45 AM
pnep

Worst players in the Hall of Fame?

pnep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:55 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Edgar Laprade, Dino Ciccarelli, Dick Duff, Gerry Cheevers, Lanny McDonald...

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Kloparren
Hth

Why would you remove players? You should be adding more of them if anything. Especially the ones that retired around 2000-2012.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:48 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Why would you remove players? You should be adding more of them if anything. Especially the ones that retired around 2000-2012.
The more restrictive it is, the better. To a point, anyways. What good is a Hall if it's not prestigious?

Old
04-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Leo Boivin.

There are a ton of bad forward choices for the HOF even if we just restrict to post-war/O6 and onwards, but Boivin sticks out like a sore thumb on defense. Here's a detailed thread on the subject:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=927143

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Blazers View Post
The more restrictive it is, the better. To a point, anyways. What good is a Hall if it's not prestigious?
I think it's plenty prestigious if some of the best players from the 90s can't even get in and they only allow 4 players max per year. There are around 20 atm you could argue for to get in for this upcoming one and that backlog is only going to grow. No one says that Clark Gillies or Boivin were as famous or on the same level as Ted Lindsay. And most would not say that Ted Lindsay was on the same level as Beliveau....this can just go keep going in a cycle. You have to accept that there are different levels within the HOF. It's not a list to rank players. One player being in there will not taint another one. Seeing Clark Gillies in the HOF does not make me think in my head that he's automatically a top 50 or top 100 player of all-time. It's just an indication that he was historically significant.

The argument that you should be making is that if Boivin is in there then X (let's say, another 50s dman like Jimmy Thomson) should be in there as well, not take Boivin out. We don't know what the committee was thinking at the time of induction and how prestigious the players career was considered at the time being. Mats Sundin's induction was too much for some of you but he was a star in the league for more than a decade for the biggest franchise in the league and the selection committee clearly saw something. And maybe Boivin's stats do not stick out but neither do those of Scott Stevens for much of his career and he was consistently a top 5 dman defensively in the league for more than a decade.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:27 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
The argument that you should be making is that if Boivin is in there then X (let's say, another 50s dman like Jimmy Thomson) should be in there as well, not take Boivin out.
Er, no. Then we find a guy who was only slightly worse than Thomson. Then a guy slightly worse than that guy. And suddenly every player who has ever played is in the Hall, because hey, that other guy is in, so why not?

I'd probably remove up to 50 players from the Hall if I had a chance. A handful of select builders too. Harold Ballard, for one.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I think it's plenty prestigious if some of the best players from the 90s can't even get in and they only allow 4 players max per year.
Which players are you referring to?

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:44 PM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

Quote:
Edgar Laprade, Dino Ciccarelli, Dick Duff, Gerry Cheevers, Lanny McDonald...
Dino Ciccarelli had a rare skill that few players even are worthy of comparing to him. If you don't know what made him so special then you likely are staring too much at stat sheets and not enough at his actual play.

Bernie Federko is another player who was elite at a particular (different) skill that the history of the game should not forget, hence his induction.

If anything, the criiticism of their inductions could be a sign of the lack of adequate documented memoirs to remind future generations of why they were so great at what they did, why they were hockey greats, why the history of hockey ought not to forget them!!

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Dino Ciccarelli had a rare skill that few players even are worthy of comparing to him. If you don't know what made him so special then you likely are staring too much at stat sheets and not enough at his actual play.

Bernie Federko is another player who was elite at a particular (different) skill that the history of the game should not forget, hence his induction.

If anything, the criiticism of their inductions could be a sign of the lack of adequate documented memoirs to remind future generations of why they were so great at what they did, why they were hockey greats, why the history of hockey ought not to forget them!!
For certain players yes I would agree but for others, it's pretty clear there was a much lower bar or threshold required for their induction.

Clark Gillies, Leo Boivin, Edgar Laprade and Cheevers are examples of this.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Big Phil

The HHOF has made mistakes for sure. Harold Ballard in there as a builder is nonsensical. He inherited a dynasty, left them unprepared for expansion, and ran them to the ground one decade worse than the other.

There are a lot of names that I question as players as well. Pulford, Duff, Neely, Ciccarelli, Nieuwendyk, Gillies, etc. Most of the questionable picks are forwards for whatever reason. Out of that above group, Ciccarelli is the best of the bunch and has the best case to be legit. I always consider Federko to be rather borderline and as for goalies I think Cheevers is possibly the worst but still good enough to make "my" cut.

But no doubt there are some names I would never had inducted in the first place.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:04 AM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

I think it is a sad joke that the Hockey Hall of Fame has more inductees than the Baseball Hall of Fame.
There are a lot of early inductees that are there because after winning a couple of cups were automatic shoe-ins.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Ed Wood

Gillies, Pulford and Duff are pretty iffy but I don't mind Boivin being in. I haven't done an in depth analysis or anything but he and Denis Potvin are the two best hip checkers I've ever seen. It musn't be an easy skill to master because we see so little of it today. I miss it.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:20 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Gillies, Pulford and Duff are pretty iffy but I don't mind Boivin being in. I haven't done an in depth analysis or anything but he and Denis Potvin are the two best hip checkers I've ever seen. It musn't be an easy skill to master because we see so little of it today. I miss it.
People skate faster now.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Canadiens1958

Not Really

Quote:
People skate faster now.
You have plenty of NHL players who are not fast - Johan Franzen, Todd Bertuzzi, Drew Miller, Milan Lucic, Rene Bourque short list amongst forwards.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote