HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIV: Be Seeing You

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
I am pointing out they are not and could really care less about the NHL and the NBA unless it will make them money.... I will adress the 50k statement below.... A 50k contract gets about 2 weeks of ONE senior level consultant's time and about a week of a junior level person.
Who currently owns AEG Tommy? Who currently owns Global-Spectrum & who sits on their parents Board? Who (multiple individuals) works for SMG in Sr. Exec Capacities with very close ties to both NBA & NHL (NFL, MLB, AHL, MLS etc) interests? Its all connected. Nepotism like you wouldnt believe.

And your suggesting these people arent "beholding" to the NHL or NBA? That they "could care less about the NHL or NBA unless it will make them money"? Who do you think makes them money, and who do you think actually controls them and their activities? That their stand alone sole interested parties?... the Arena Management Companies are what its all about. The Ghosts in the Machine. You dont "own" arenas', you manage them, and you own & or influence the biggest players on the planet in doing so as a member of the NBA, NHL, NFL & MLB BOG's. It's like the Hellfire Club, a fraternity. To suggest that these are independent, unconnected, unrelated, apathetic & ambivalent companies tone deaf to any given owner in any of the major leagues is to be beyond naive'.

Now onto your $50K contract thesis & suppositions; it buys more than 72hrs chatting to Edward Beasley & Mayor Elaine Scruggs, John Kaites, Jerry & Michael Reinsdorf, a walkaround Glendale Arena. What would make Ed Beasley an expert on professional sports team & venue management anyway that his "feelings" would constitute a $48,000 below radar awarding of a Contract to a company who's track record is akin to TL Hockings and just about every other Grifter he decided to employ to frame a picture that he, for reasons still unclear, was being painted by Kaites, the Reinsdorfs & the NHL?

Are you telling me that maybe 1 or 2 Senior Executives at Beacon are worth $2000 an hour based on 3 - 8 hour days? If they even spent 8 hours talking to whomever then completing what is essentially 3 pages of utter tripe? I guess maybe if that rate included 5***** accommodations, dinners & drinks in Scottsdale, Ok, no problem. Easy to blow through $50K in 3 days. First Class from MA. $1200 a day for the rental on the Lamborghini Veneno' while in Phoenix. Absolutely I have no idea what your even talking about in suggesting a Junior Consultant would run you $48K for one week. Are you frikin serious?! And then you fail to enjoin Fortune 500 Arena Mgmnt Companies with multi league interests?... Im sorry, I just dont know what to say to you. Your just wrong on every level.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:16 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
So I asked one of my friends who happens to hail from the Peg, and he sent me this:

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/spo...dators-coyotes

take it for what its worth.
The Coyotes will have a soft landing spot in 30 days. Barring a miracle it will not be in Glendale. The NHL always has "soft"places to go. Li'il Gary and willy d. are masters of their own domain.

The NHL lies when they say they are not in relocation discussions. Cue Dreger!

Old
04-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Are you telling me that maybe 1 or 2 Senior Executives at Beacon are worth $2000 an hour based on 3 - 8 hour days?
I believe the bit you quoted said two weeks of a senior plus one week of a junior. So 80 hours of senior plus 40 hours of junior. Assume senior costs double the junior, works out to $200 per junior hour and $400 per senior hour plus $10k travel costs.

Money well spent? Dunno. But the OP's pricing isn't crazy.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:36 PM
aqib

Quote:

Are you telling me that maybe 1 or 2 Senior Executives at Beacon are worth $2000 an hour based on 3 - 8 hour days? If they even spent 8 hours talking to whomever then completing what is essentially 3 pages of utter tripe? I guess maybe if that rate included 5***** accommodations, dinners & drinks in Scottsdale, Ok, no problem. Easy to blow through $50K in 3 days. First Class from MA. $1200 a day for the rental on the Lamborghini Veneno' while in Phoenix. Absolutely I have no idea what your even talking about in suggesting a Junior Consultant would run you $48K for one week. Are you frikin serious?! And then you fail to enjoin Fortune 500 Arena Mgmnt Companies with multi league interests?... Im sorry, I just dont know what to say to you. Your just wrong on every level.
I can tell you from personal experience consulting firms rack up huge bills fast. When I was right out of grad school in 01 I was working at PWC in New York, and the bill rate for guys out of grad school was $275 an hour. The way the ranks worked was you had associates (out of undergrad) senior associates (out of grad school), than manager, director and partner. Partners billed over $700 an hour. This was 12 years ago. Also, travel, hotel, food etc was on top of the hourly rate.

Once when I was working for an insurance company we paid a consultant over $100K for 3 weeks work to do a cost benefit analysis on outsourcing our desktop PC build and repair operation. There work only confirmed what a one page spreadsheet I did already said but whatever.

So a long-winded way of saying yes,

Old
04-18-2013, 11:53 PM
theoriginal55

After setting record-low attendances for new Yankee Stadium on Friday (35,033), Sunday (34,154) and Tuesday (34,107), New York drew 36,033 for the homestand finale.

This wouldn't be happening if they put the new Yankee Stadium in Manhattan instead of putting it way out there in the Bronx!

Old
04-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Money well spent? Dunno. But the OP's pricing isn't crazy.
You would be mistaken. The "bit" that Im quoting on is based on fact. Three days of Consultancy by Beacon for $48K? 72hr in & out job from Massachusetts on what? A privately chartered Gulfstream? Only if your including Strippers Dado.

Quote:
Ya? A short way of saying you actually went to a school that didnt have barbed wire & Guards armed with Tasers unlike the Grifters involved with Beacon. Even at the hyper-inflated rate of 275 bucks an hour for some kid still reeking of Sunlight Soap & the playing grounds of PS123 how do you justify not only that rate but for the Love of God near on $2K an hour for Beacons' Branzoids?... You cant. So whats your point aqib? That the Worlds so ***** up that companies like PWC in setting an insane precedent, that Flim Flammers like Beacon should just replicate that model? Does that make it right? Everythings normal, just all Hunky-Dory?.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
I can tell you from personal experience consulting firms rack up huge bills fast. When I was right out of grad school in 01 I was working at PWC in New York, and the bill rate for guys out of grad school was $275 an hour. The way the ranks worked was you had associates (out of undergrad) senior associates (out of grad school), than manager, director and partner. Partners billed over $700 an hour. This was 12 years ago. Also, travel, hotel, food etc was on top of the hourly rate.

Once when I was working for an insurance company we paid a consultant over $100K for 3 weeks work to do a cost benefit analysis on outsourcing our desktop PC build and repair operation. There work only confirmed what a one page spreadsheet I did already said but whatever.

I should interject that it's very poor management to just let consultancy firms keep billing at whatever rate they desire ad infinitum.

One would hope that there is a deliverable at the end of that work-- the project metrics and the estimated final cost.

You get Project X for $____. It would be prudent for the party requesting the work to get multiple bids, and to review the billing structure, inclusive of the rates and other expenses. It's also prudent to build in clauses that protect you against project overruns and delays (or even penalties if the work isn't completed by a certain time, if time is a factor).

Old
04-19-2013, 12:56 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Well why would they build parking garages used 10 times a year, when you can put something on the land that generates revenue more regularly (at some point it will be worth something) also garages are expensive to build.
The garages were to be built on Westgate land. The original plan for Westgate included several garages to be built on the site over time as each phase was built taking up land on the site. Currently there's only one garage on the site between the arena and hotel next door.

The Cardinals still use some lots at Westgate for parking in addition to the new ones Glendale created to replace those eliminated by Tanger..

Old
04-19-2013, 01:12 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
The original plan for Westgate included several garages to be built on the site over time as each phase was built taking up land on the site.
Real dumb question here TL... but why would Westgate need parking garages beyond really the convenience of locale? As in the garage, a multi-tiered affair, like a wedding cake, a maze that would still take you forever to find your car?. Its not like the Sonoran Deserts like the Sahara with Sand Genies, like in Hidalgo or the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies and sand storms. Faces & everything. Why dont they just build lots on all that vacant land surrounding the joint? Doesnt make any sense to me. $25M for a frikin "garage" in the desert? Why bother? Just grade & pave the desert. Like, is there a problem with snakes and spitting gila monsters or something?

Old
04-19-2013, 01:15 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Real dumb question here TL... but why would Westgate need parking garages beyond really the convenience of locale? As in the garage, a multi-tiered affair, like a wedding cake, being right there, but like an English Garden, a maze that would still take you forever to find your car. Its not like the Sonoran Deserts like the Sahara with Sand Genies, like in Hidalgo or the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies and sand storms. Why dont they just build lots on all that vacant land surrounding the joint? Doesnt make any sense to me. $25M for a frikin "garage" in the desert? Why bother? Just grade & pave the desert. Like, is there a problem with snakes and spitting gila monsters or something?

Jumping chollas. Now those things are nasty.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:32 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Jumping chollas. Now those things are nasty.
Teddy Bear Cactus? Whatre' we talkin here, Day of the Triffids?...

Old
04-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Teddy Bear Cactus? Whatre' we talkin here, Day of the Triffids?...

They just pop off and fly through the air, attach themselves to things, people. The needles are hooked, so if you try to pull one off, it just attaches itself to your hand and rolls along your flesh, embedding more needles into your flesh while ripping out the other already-embedded needles, blood left in its wake. Vicious little demon plant.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:41 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Vicious little demon plant.
Well, thats a Hell of a thing to have attached to your crotch, face, hair. So perhaps not feasible, outdoor parking huh?

you people ever heard of chainsaws?...

Old
04-19-2013, 08:40 AM
mesamonster

It appears that Friday will be the final home game of the season! Will GB come out prior to that with some presser or other regarding the teams future?

Old
04-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post

Keeping along the Prisoner tangent (sort of) ...

Old
04-19-2013, 08:55 AM
GF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
It appears that Friday will be the final home game of the season! Will GB come out prior to that with some presser or other regarding the teams future?
Actually at this point in time, with the Coyotes virtually eliminated and only two home games, it could be a good time for the NHL to come up with the news. But there's still a chance the team could make the playoff so I guess, even if the NHL wanted to let people know, they wouldn't risk announcing a relocation as long as they are not officially eliminated.

Even then, I have a feeling this will drag on for at least a couple more weeks.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:09 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

I my opinion, you can't announce anything involving a relo as long the team can make playoffs.

They could announce the team is saved this morning.

I think they won't go public before the end of the season.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:14 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Actually at this point in time, with the Coyotes virtually eliminated and only two home games, it could be a good time for the NHL to come up with the news. But there's still a chance the team could make the playoff so I guess, even if the NHL wanted to let people know, they wouldn't risk announcing a relocation as long as they are not officially eliminated.

Even then, I have a feeling this will drag on for at least a couple more weeks.
The statistical probability of making the po`s is almost non-existent with two teams four points ahead of them! That being said, GB one way or the other, owes the fans some explanation or HONEST status report on his plans for the team! No more of this obfuscation and deception, we all know that the team is virtually not viable for resale. So lets see if the midget is capable of, "coming clean" and leveling with everyone about the real future of this franchise.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:15 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Thing is we are so used to anything but transparency with this league.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Slashers98

The Coyotes' next home game is only on April 24th against the Sharks, so they have plenty of time to make an announcement prior to their last two home games!

Old
04-19-2013, 09:30 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
The statistical probability of making the po`s is almost non-existent with two teams four points ahead of them! That being said, GB one way or the other, owes the fans some explanation or HONEST status report on his plans for the team! No more of this obfuscation and deception, we all know that the team is virtually not viable for resale. So lets see if the midget is capable of, "coming clean" and leveling with everyone about the real future of this franchise.
IMO the next time you see Bettman in front of a microphone talking about the Coyotes, he will be doing so from some other city that has just been awarded a relocated hockey team.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:53 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
IMO the next time you see Bettman in front of a microphone talking about the Coyotes, he will be doing so from some other city that has just been awarded a relocated hockey team.
That would be a shame for almost everyone involved...

A shame for the Coyote fans who deserve better.
A shame for the City of Glendale who spent millions to build the NHL an arena.
A shame for Quebec City who sound like they will not get the team - but deserve one.

A lose-lose-lose.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
A shame for Quebec City who sound like they will not get the team - but deserve one.

Wha? Is there some new development I'm not aware of?

Old
04-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Who currently owns AEG Tommy? Who currently owns Global-Spectrum & who sits on their parents Board? Who (multiple individuals) works for SMG in Sr. Exec Capacities with very close ties to both NBA & NHL (NFL, MLB, AHL, MLS etc) interests? Its all connected. Nepotism like you wouldnt believe.

And your suggesting these people arent "beholding" to the NHL or NBA? That they "could care less about the NHL or NBA unless it will make them money"? Who do you think makes them money, and who do you think actually controls them and their activities? That their stand alone sole interested parties?... the Arena Management Companies are what its all about. The Ghosts in the Machine. You dont "own" arenas', you manage them, and you own & or influence the biggest players on the planet in doing so as a member of the NBA, NHL, NFL & MLB BOG's. It's like the Hellfire Club, a fraternity. To suggest that these are independent, unconnected, unrelated, apathetic & ambivalent companies tone deaf to any given owner in any of the major leagues is to be beyond naive'.

Now onto your $50K contract thesis & suppositions; it buys more than 72hrs chatting to Edward Beasley & Mayor Elaine Scruggs, John Kaites, Jerry & Michael Reinsdorf, a walkaround Glendale Arena. What would make Ed Beasley an expert on professional sports team & venue management anyway that his "feelings" would constitute a $48,000 below radar awarding of a Contract to a company who's track record is akin to TL Hockings and just about every other Grifter he decided to employ to frame a picture that he, for reasons still unclear, was being painted by Kaites, the Reinsdorfs & the NHL?

If they were beholding to the NHL and NBA, why would they compete to manage arenas that house competing events? They may sit on the board but if you have learned only one thing through all this saga, most NHL and NBA teams make ZERO money and even the profitability of the top teams is nothing compared to the profitability of major corps. If an arena management firm thinks they will make money off managing Jobing, they will be responding to the RFP.

As for the 50k, it is not how long they met with anyone, it is how long it takes to get the job done. You could meet with people for 4 days and gather tons of information but then it is researching other relevant and related information from other sources, confirming the information received is accurate, putting that information into a coherent deliverable, having it deliver the message you want, go through editing, revisions, and then presenting the findings all take time, and lots of it.

Quote:
I should interject that it's very poor management to just let consultancy firms keep billing at whatever rate they desire ad infinitum.

One would hope that there is a deliverable at the end of that work-- the project metrics and the estimated final cost.

You get Project X for $____. It would be prudent for the party requesting the work to get multiple bids, and to review the billing structure, inclusive of the rates and other expenses. It's also prudent to build in clauses that protect you against project overruns and delays (or even penalties if the work isn't completed by a certain time, if time is a factor).
Hence the 50k fixed fee contract which, in some governments, requires a deliverable to be produced. Many times the deliverable for this size of a contract is a report that has predefined sections in it such as Executive Summary, History, Observations, and Recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
That would be a shame for almost everyone involved...

A shame for the Coyote fans who deserve better.
A shame for the City of Glendale who spent millions to build the NHL an arena.

A lose-lose-lose.

Very true.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:13 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Wha? Is there some new development I'm not aware of?
Hi Ugmo:

I have not followed this story in 6 months but everytime I hear "experts" on TSN, Sportsnet or the CBC talk about relocation, they always say Seattle.

Closed Thread