HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Weakest team to ever make the Finals...

Old
04-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Crosbyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
1967-68 Blues were the best of the three Blues teams to make the SC Finals. They lost four games by one goal, including two overtime games. 1969 and 1970 the goal differential was 9 and 13 respectively.

Looking at two previous O6 sweeps, 1960 and 1952, the goal differential was 10 and 9 goals with no overtime games.
It is somewhat hard to judge those series, as there was never any doubt about the eventual winner. The ipso facto Cup winning goal had already been scored in the previous series in the East, with the winner trying to remain focused for the "finals".

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Canadiens1958

1937-38 Chicago Blackhawks II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Going from memory, I believe the Black Hawks had started the season with an all-American lineup which led to a lot of losses. They wised up and improved the roster during the season.
Actually their first half was stronger than the second half:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/team...938_games.html

.500 first six games. Seven wins each half, six ties first half, three second half.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Canadiens1958

O6 Finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
'49 TML also had a losing record, but won the cup, and lost only 1 playoff game. '48 TML had the best record and won the cup. i don't know why TML were that much weaker in '49, but loss of syl apps must have been important. their GA was still good, but their GF was 2nd worst.

i think '38 chicago would have to rank lower than TML, b/c TML had winning records in '47, '48 and '50, and were a dynasty. it's strange though that chicago made the finals 3 times in '30s, but also missed the playoffs several times.

O6 finals were rather interesting. 4th place team making the finals often produced a scenario where a finalist had a losing regular season record. 1949 Toronto was the only team that won. Some of the other finals with sub .500 teams include 1950, 1951, 1953, 1958, 1959, 1961.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSemin28 View Post
If Markkanen was on the bench, not Conklin when Roloson got injured, Edmonton win.
You mean the same Roloson who gave up four unanswered goals in roughly a period and a half?

The way things were going, if Roloson hadn't gotten injured, the Canes probably would've won the game in regulation. Once they decided to start playing that game, they were in his head, big-time.

In fact, I would go so far as to say Markkanen's performance was the biggest single factor in that series going so long.

But this is about the weakest team to make the finals. Clearly the 06 Canes were not a weak team since they were one of the elite regular season teams that year.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:47 AM
double5son10

For me it's the '82 Canucks. Although they were an underrated defensive team, 5th overall in GA, they only had 77 points and essentially made the Finals because everyone they met in the first three rounds was a worse team: Flames 75 pts., Kings 63 pts., Blackhawks 72 pts. Not an epic run. Then they of course got swept. Even the the 91 North Stars, with as lousy a regular season as they had, were able to beat the two top regular season teams and the defending champs on their way to the Finals and extended the Pens to six.
I'm not buying '96 Florida (92 pts.), '98 Washington (92 pts.), '03 Anaheim (95 pts.) '04 Calgary (94 pts.) '06 Edmonton (95 pts) : All those teams had respectable regular seasons and all of them had a future HOFer, All-Pro or trophy winner on the team, including the North Stars and the Blues of the late 60s. Who's the flag bearer on that Canucks team? Hlinka? Boldirev? Smyl? Tiger?

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Kirikanoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by double5son10 View Post
For me it's the '82 Canucks. Although they were an underrated defensive team, 5th overall in GA, they only had 77 points and essentially made the Finals because everyone they met in the first three rounds was a worse team: Flames 75 pts., Kings 63 pts., Blackhawks 72 pts. Not an epic run.
I think the 82 Canucks are consistently underrated. Sure they had 77 points, but you must remember this was before regular season overtime, or shootouts, so they did not get the opportunity to pick up extra points through OT or SO wins that teams today enjoy.

Under today's point system with the 17 ties they had they would have likely picked up another 5 to 6 wins and minimum another 10 points or more and would likely be around a 90 point team.

As you mentioned the 82 Canucks (286 GA) had the 5th best goals against in a season where the league average was 321. The only teams with a better average were Montreal(223), NY Islanders(250) Buffalo(273) and Boston(285) who were all top teams that season

People also forget that, that Canuck team went undefeated (6-0-3) in their last 9 going into the playoffs and proceeded to go 11-2 to reach the finals. Only losing 2 of their last 22 games combined going into that final. All that from a team that before that season had never even won a playoff series.

In the playoffs two of those teams they faced were only 2 points(Calgary) and 5 points(Chicago) worse than Vancouver. Should have made for a close competitive long series, right? And yet they went 7-1, sweeping Calgary, and eliminating Chicago in five games.

Quote:
Then they of course got swept.
By the (at the time) two time defending Stanley Cup Champions, who would go on to win 4 straight Stanley Cups, and appear in 5 straight Final series. Losing 6-5(OT) 6-4, 3-0, 3-1, with none of the games being a blowout, was a pretty respectful showing for Vancouver against that Islander team.

Had it been anyone else other than the Islanders in that final, and as we know the Islander came within a whisker of being eliminated in the deciding game of round 1, needing a goal with 2:21 left in the 3rd and another in OT to win that series. Against anyone else with how well the Canucks were playing at that point in time, and especially how well their goaltending and defense were compared to the other teams left, they could very well have won it all and we would be putting them on the list of worst teams to win a Stanley Cup.

Kirikanoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Probably the 1967-68 Blues who won the expansion division and were swept in the finals.
You are probably right but the Blues also didn't earn their way to the finals like later teams had to either, with the setup of the league and conferences back in 68.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
For me it's the '82 Canucks. Although they were an underrated defensive team, 5th overall in GA, they only had 77 points and essentially made the Finals because everyone they met in the first three rounds was a worse team: Flames 75 pts., Kings 63 pts., Blackhawks 72 pts. Not an epic run. Then they of course got swept. Even the the 91 North Stars, with as lousy a regular season as they had, were able to beat the two top regular season teams and the defending champs on their way to the Finals and extended the Pens to six.
I'm not buying '96 Florida (92 pts.), '98 Washington (92 pts.), '03 Anaheim (95 pts.) '04 Calgary (94 pts.) '06 Edmonton (95 pts) : All those teams had respectable regular seasons and all of them had a future HOFer, All-Pro or trophy winner on the team, including the North Stars and the Blues of the late 60s. Who's the flag bearer on that Canucks team? Hlinka? Boldirev? Smyl? Tiger?
well while teams get to the finals it was Broduer in 82 that was the difference.

Taco McCarthur has some interesting stats on that season that back up what the eye test told most Canuck fans.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:19 PM
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
You mean the same Roloson who gave up four unanswered goals in roughly a period and a half?

The way things were going, if Roloson hadn't gotten injured, the Canes probably would've won the game in regulation. Once they decided to start playing that game, they were in his head, big-time.

In fact, I would go so far as to say Markkanen's performance was the biggest single factor in that series going so long.

But this is about the weakest team to make the finals. Clearly the 06 Canes were not a weak team since they were one of the elite regular season teams that year.
Markkanen was amazing, no doubt, I feel that Markkanen wouldn't have made Conklin's dumb play in the end. I do agree on the point if Bergeron hadn't hit Ladd into Roloson, they would have likely lost regardless.

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
1937-38 Chicago Blackhawks, losing regular season record, 14-25-9, yet they won the Stanley Cup:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CBH/1938.html

This was what I was going to say. I think they had the worst regular season winning % of any team to ever win a professional championship [though I'm not 100% sure of that].

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote