HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honestly if the Oilers were picking say 8th... and for some reason Drouin fell and was still on the board... and all the other elite names were already gone... I'd have no problem at all with the Oilers picking him.

He'd definitely be BPA and he's arguably the most talented player in the entire draft. He may not be ideal to fill the "bigger and more physical" mandate everyone is shooting for on the Oilers, but innate talent and skill conquers all.
Management would simply have to make other moves to fill those holes. Their incompetence to do so can't be a reason to not choose a supremely talented player like Drouin.
respectfully disagree. talent is maybe 1/4 of a championship team. a championship team might have 1 dangler, often none and very rarely two. although, i agree, i we pick as low as 8th and Drouin is still there, that's different. i mean, McKinnonon/Monohan/Barkov before Drouin. BPA available before need in most years. but in Oilers circa 2013, after 3 consecutive 1st overalls and a gluttony of smallish forwards, need over BPA. gotta build a team.

Last edited by Up the Irons: 04-19-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old
04-19-2013, 12:11 AM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
so, take yet another 5'10", 180LB dangler, then try and trade 2 of our four 5'10", 180LB danglers for what we actually need?. this fascination with danglers is gonna make me slash my wrists. How many danglers does LA have? Boston? Pittsburg?

at some point, and the point has actually passed, the Oilers have to build a team. they need a small danglers as much as they need another Cory Potter.

if they take Drouin I will lose my f--king mind.
I agree with this. The kid could possibly go first overall based on talent alone but he is not what this team needs.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:20 AM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafrelio View Post
IF we did land Barkov, he could be sent to the minors if he came over but needed more seasoning, no?
Yes I believe so. It'll be interesting what whoever gets him does, since he could be out up to 6 months with his shoulder injury.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:22 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I agree with this. The kid could possibly go first overall based on talent alone but he is not what this team needs.
If Drouin is head and shoulders better than the next guy available, you'd be foolish to pass on him because of need. What happens if we trade for Lucic and then sign Horton?(not saying it'll happen) Suddenly we won't need grit, and Drouin will bring a much better return than say Nurse or Monahan. If the players are close, then sure. But as Jimmi Jenkins said, you don't pass on Kane for JVR just to address size

04-19-2013, 12:23 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
so, take yet another 5'10", 180LB dangler, then try and trade 2 of our four 5'10", 180LB danglers for what we actually need?. this fascination with danglers is gonna make me slash my wrists. How many danglers does LA have? Boston? Pittsburg?

at some point, and the point has actually passed, the Oilers have to build a team. they need a small danglers as much as they need another Cory Potter.

if they take Drouin I will lose my f--king mind.
They need to trade the pick unless Jones is on the board IMO. Would anyone trade our 1st for Bogosian or Buff? I could see Winnipeg moving one of them this summer.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:25 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
They need to trade the pick unless Jones is on the board IMO. Would anyone trade our 1st for Bogosian or Buff? I could see Winnipeg moving one of them this summer.
Bogosian, maybe. Depends where the pick ends up. Buff, no.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Yes I believe so. It'll be interesting what whoever gets him does, since he could be out up to 6 months with his shoulder injury.
Last I read was that it was projected to keep him out 3 months and he might be able to take part in some of the less dynamic lower body tests at the combine.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:28 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Bogosian, maybe. Depends where the pick ends up. Buff, no.
Say we end up at best possible scenario 4th. Who's worth more Barkov or Bogosian?

Old
04-19-2013, 01:02 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Say we end up at best possible scenario 4th. Who's worth more Barkov or Bogosian?
Hmm that is tough so it's probably a trade that is fair for both sides.

If Bogo was LD than I think you make tht trade but he's right so I'm more willing to pass from our perspective.

I think people have to look at which side these guys are playing. If you get Bogo than you have to move Petry for LD. So who could we get for Petry? This is where it gets complicated. Would we get equal value back?

Old
04-19-2013, 01:10 AM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

Quote:
Barkov for me. How nice would it be to have a Kopitar style player as the 2C behind Hopkins?

Old
04-19-2013, 01:21 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Well, I don't see Schultz or Klefbom being #1 defencemen. Of course, as long as the rest of our D-core is solid we really don't need a legit #1. And I was talking about Jones, referring to this quote...

Jones is projected to be a #1 defenceman. Barkov could be a #1 center but on our team he would probably be #2 behind Nuge. #1 D > #2 C. I also think a #1 D would have a greater impact than a #2 C.
My perspective is that both a 1/2 C with 2 way solid game and awesome offense, and SIZe and PHYSICALity... is more needed on the OIlers because we dont have jack nor **** as options for that position in the system. On the other hand we have Klefbom Marincin and Musil on D.

from A GM perspective of making sure my franchise is 6 deep in all positions i am drafting the stud C.

Oh and as a bonus im pretty sure this helps our midget wingers.

Im also coming from a mindset that; i am an impatient man and i will do bold things like get a D via trade-or FA, the right D...a D with very little growing pains...a d that doesnt need 5 years to adapt and fill out. A d ready to play strong minutes Oct 2nd.
Itake the learning curve and playing against 15 year olds in junior as a dman to heart when drafting a D.

I think we all know what the Oilers will do. No one is waiting another 5 years for this draft pick to make an impact.

Barkov for Bogosian or another NHL PROVEN and NEAR POLISHED DMAN is the only interest on the back end for the oil if they want to get out of the basement.

Last edited by oilinblood: 04-19-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old
04-19-2013, 01:36 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
its close but i still think MacT would prefer to trade or FA acquire the D. I think, considering the pain we went through this season, that pick wont be moved.

N Schultz, I believe needs to be moved this summer for a D flip. I am a N Schultz backer but he has not done well with this group or Krueger. He needs to go. Smid should be wearing the A anyways for the D. We need another solid 15 minute guy to play a physical and PK role on the right and flip Schultz for an available lefty.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:13 AM
Panda Bear

Of all our defencemen, I think it's Nick Schultz that's suffering the most from playing a man-on-man system where the wingers are too far away to provide puck support. The guy is the epitome of a defend-off-the-rush, pokechecking zonal defenceman.

His biggest weaknesses are: 1) physical play, which gets amplified when you plan to man-to-man; and 2) breakout passing, which gets amplified when your wingers play too faraway and your centre flies the zone too early trying to support the too-faraway wingers.

I'm not saying it's acceptable, but the system's not doing him any benefits. He looks fine until we get into our own zone (although he can get into problems because he's not decisive about when to pinch).

If Krueger and staff play a proper system (there's a great Derek Zona article on this), he'll go back to looking like a second-pairing defenceman instead of a third-pairing. I mean, Christ, all of our defencemen from last year look worse this year.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:12 AM
Broilers

Barking for Barkov

Season is over and this point we are picking at 7. Barkov is available between 4-6 so I am ready suck to get him. He is big physical offensive minded center. Just what we need take over number2 center position in the next few years.

He is almost point per game player in Finnish professional league

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=145634

Old
04-19-2013, 03:32 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Season is over and this point we are picking at 7. Barkov is available between 4-6 so I am ready suck to get him. He is big physical offensive minded center. Just what we need take over number2 center position in the next few years.

He is almost point per game player in Finnish professional league

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=145634
This is post which i posted about his personality to the leafs boards. Not sure what he could bring in oilers locker room but i could see intant chemistry between yakupov and Barkov. Barkov speaks fluent russian. Barkov was also leading his playoff series in points before he got injured.

I've been following this conversation about Barkov for while and the thing about his Leadership is pretty interesting. Like interactif stated Barkov isn't very charismatic or leader on the locker room. I never see Barkov as future captain. He is shy and extremely humble think Datsyuk or Jere Lehtinen in personality.

But how Barkov leads by example on the ice? He does it everything. How he competes on the single puck battles, how he blocks the shots and most of all how he leads his team by his poise and confident game which boost other players confidence aswell. I think that interactif have some valid points Barkov being not charismatic but then there is clearly lack of knowledge about his passion to win, to be a better player and what kind of team player he is. Barkov is first guy at the team practices and the last guy leaving the ice. His hockey team coach has stated that he has to drive Barkov away from training too much at the gym and on the ice.

The thing that this 17 year old kid does incredibly well that he does everything what coach says without a problem. He is showing example to old veteran players and stanley cup champs how the game system should be played. I don't see any other player in FEL who excetutes the team concept or team system as well as Barkov. I would describe him as an dream player for coach. Barkov leads by example how the game should be played and the coach say to other players just watch Barkov and play like that. That is incredible for 17 year old.

Barkov is heart and soul of his FEL team and that team has come from non playoff team to a championship contending team and Barkov is carrying that team on his young shoulders.

Barkov isn't the loudest guy or the voice in the locker room but he is all about winning and he leaves everything off him to the ice and it doesen't matter if it is team practice or something he does all with amazing effort.

His team is shifting Barkov as player who takes the control of the game with his calmness and ice cool play when the team is getting high pressure.

Barkov is never going to be cocky and charismatic off the ice he's always going to be humble guy who chats to fans like any other people or signs autographs for every single fan. I've seen him doing that at 17 year old of age. He is very kind for fans and any other people. There is little bit of Forrest Gumpness in Barkov. When Jenny shouts to Forrest "run, Forrest, run" he runs like crazy until there is someone who say stop. Think coach as Jenny and Barkov as Forrest and playing hockey instead of running. There is similar excecution. Barkov does all the little things and details correctly just like coach ask for. He has that similar passion as Forrest in practicing and getting as a better player(Forrest mastering ping ball) it looks almost stupid when you look how hard this guy practices or how he can't stop until there is coach or team mate to stop him but he just want to be an better player. It's incredible ability for 17 year old at pro league. I know that it is wierd to compare movie character to hockey player but you guys wanted description about his personality and there it is in a nutshell.

Last edited by thomast: 04-19-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old
04-19-2013, 03:33 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

we have a 2013 nhl draft thread

Old
04-19-2013, 03:44 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
YESSSsssss I want Barkov too.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:45 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
we have a 2013 nhl draft thread
Yeah, I'm guessing it has 20 pages. Long enough to keep me far away.

If we don't draft Barkov when he's available we better be going for a d-man otherwise my head will explode.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:47 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
This is post which i posted about his personality to the leafs boards. Not sure what he could bring in oilers locker room but i could see intant chemistry between yakupov and Barkov. Barkov speaks fluent russian. Barkov was also leading his playoff series in points before he got injured.

I've been following this conversation about Barkov for while and the thing about his Leadership is pretty interesting. Like interactif stated Barkov isn't very charismatic or leader on the locker room. I never see Barkov as future captain. He is shy and extremely humble think Datsyuk or Jere Lehtinen in personality.

But how Barkov leads by example on the ice? He does it everything. How he competes on the single puck battles, how he blocks the shots and most of all how he leads his team by his poise and confident game which boost other players confidence aswell. I think that interactif have some valid points Barkov being not charismatic but then there is clearly lack of knowledge about his passion to win, to be a better player and what kind of team player he is. Barkov is first guy at the team practices and the last guy leaving the ice. His hockey team coach has stated that he has to drive Barkov away from training too much at the gym and on the ice.

The thing that this 17 year old kid does incredibly well that he does everything what coach says without a problem. He is showing example to old veteran players and stanley cup champs how the game system should be played. I don't see any other player in FEL who excetutes the team concept or team system as well as Barkov. I would describe him as an dream player for coach. Barkov leads by example how the game should be played and the coach say to other players just watch Barkov and play like that. That is incredible for 17 year old.

Barkov is heart and soul of his FEL team and that team has come from non playoff team to a championship contending team and Barkov is carrying that team on his young shoulders.

Barkov isn't the loudest guy or the voice in the locker room but he is all about winning and he leaves everything off him to the ice and it doesen't matter if it is team practice or something he does all with amazing effort.

His team is shifting Barkov as player who takes the control of the game with his calmness and ice cool play when the team is getting high pressure.

Barkov is never going to be cocky and charismatic off the ice he's always going to be humble guy who chats to fans like any other people or signs autographs for every single fan. I've seen him doing that at 17 year old of age. He is very kind for fans and any other people. There is little bit of Forrest Gumpness in Barkov. When Jenny shouts to Forrest "run, Forrest, run" he runs like crazy until there is someone who say stop. Think coach as Jenny and Barkov as Forrest and playing hockey instead of running. There is similar excecution. Barkov does all the little things and details correctly just like coach ask for. He has that similar passion as Forrest in practicing and getting as a better player(Forrest mastering ping ball) it looks almost stupid when you look how hard this guy practices or how he can't stop until there is coach or team mate to stop him but he just want to be an better player. It's incredible ability for 17 year old at pro league. I know that it is wierd to compare movie character to hockey player but you guys wanted description about his personality and there it is in a nutshell.
I only recall seeing a youtube video of his highlights, to me he looked a lot like Couturier in terms of his offensive upside, do you see him as having 1st or 2nd line NHL offensive skills?

04-19-2013, 04:30 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
If Drouin is head and shoulders better than the next guy available, you'd be foolish to pass on him because of need. What happens if we trade for Lucic and then sign Horton?(not saying it'll happen) Suddenly we won't need grit, and Drouin will bring a much better return than say Nurse or Monahan. If the players are close, then sure. But as Jimmi Jenkins said, you don't pass on Kane for JVR just to address size
but he's not. and we drafted Drouin, first overall last year. and yes you do pass on Kane if you already have 3 Kanes and 0 JVRs!!!!!!! And its doubtful Drouin will be as good as Kane who tore up the O, not the Q; big difference. besides, if they draft Drouin, think how many of you, with your man-crush for Eberle, will be broken hearted when he is traded for the need that Drouin didn't fill (not to mention that, if he's as good as Kane, then he's better than Eberle). that would be funny to see all those man-tears.

Quote:
bingo. immediate need. all this draft attention in the last few years has made too many of you forget that you are supposed to try and win, every year, not in some obscure future. the present is just as important as the future.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:32 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:

hmmm. well, that's interesting.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:53 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Quote:

That is a pretty good assessment on Barkov. He does remind me of Lehtinen's personality quite a bit.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:58 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I only recall seeing a youtube video of his highlights, to me he looked a lot like Couturier in terms of his offensive upside, do you see him as having 1st or 2nd line NHL offensive skills?
Well Mikko Koivu is #1 C in the NHL. Barkov who outplayed Mikko Koivu at the lockout season as a 17 year old when they was matched against. We all know that Mikko Koivu competes everytime when he is on ice despite being FEL game. We are talking 17 year old who basically destroyed every offensive record in FEL for draft eligible player despite being one of the best two-way players if not the best in the league. Not best prospect or young player but arguably best two-way foward in the entire league.

Barkov has already polished game, he creates alot of nonflashy chances and scores alot of goals infront of net and clear majority of goals are scored infront of net. It is the crucial scoring area in game especially in the NHL. Barkov is playing against men and faces experienced pro players. It's not as easy to score flashy goals and dangles against them. It's easier to dangle CHL players who are still unexperienced and are prone to make mistakes. Barkov haven't made alot of highlight reel plays but how much Crosby does those plays nowadays? How much he dangles nowadays? It's just simple and effective. Barkov plays similar offensive game. He has very fast head and can think the game couple steps ahead other players. Crosby is on different level on his head but Barkov is very high-end in that department.

When i compare him to Mikko Koivu Barkov has clearly more offensive talent and is already better than him in many offensive attributes. I have no doubt that Barkov has #1 C potential. In Oilers case #1B. RHN could score slightly more points every year but Barkov is the one who plays every situation, more TOI and is more important and useful for the team.

Barkov is defensively elite and he has potential to be competing for selke every year. How he competes and fight for the puck reminds me from Jere Lehtinen and Mikko Koivu. He doesen't give up in any situation. Isn't as intensive as Koivu but works as hard. Dragan Umicevic the swedish player stated that Barkov is the most talented player he has played with and he clearly stated that he has played with Kopitar. It doesen't mean that he will be as good or better but has talent to be better.

You don't score 48 points as 17 year old in FEL without having #1 potential. Mikko Koivu had 1 point in his draft year. Different era yes but Barkov has made history in FEL offensively. He contributed in WJC as 16 year old. Scoring gamewinner in QF and was younger than Crosby to score in WJC. Had 4 points in 7 games without having any PP time as 3rd C and those points was against Can, Cze, Svk and swe. Statistically he is impressive but when you watch him playing you'll notice that he doesen't have to change thing to translate his offensive game into NHL. Simple, quick, effective and straight foward. When considering his raw skating and it is still developing i think that his offensive ceiling is very high. Sky is the limit but he never will be flashy player just effective.

Last edited by thomast: 04-19-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old
04-19-2013, 07:44 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Thats a lot of ifs. First, I don't think Drouin is that much better than Barkov if we are picking top 7. So it would have to be a debate between Drouin, Monahan, Nurse and Lindholm. Obviously Drouin is better in terms of talent but that doesn't mean we have to draft him. At that point I recommend trading the pick in order to address a need. Someone would be willing to pay a premium for Drouin. I don't like the idea of drafting a guy just to trade him within the year.

Also, if we hypotheticaly added Horton type player and a Lucic (which I doubt Boston gets rid of all of their toughness) it's not like we still don't have enough small skilled guys.

Hall-RNH-Lucic
Horton-Gagner-Yakupov
PRV-Barkov-Jones
Hartski-Horcoff-Brown

That's a solid lineup. That doesn't even include what we would get in a trade for Hemsky.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Of all our defencemen, I think it's Nick Schultz that's suffering the most from playing a man-on-man system where the wingers are too far away to provide puck support. The guy is the epitome of a defend-off-the-rush, pokechecking zonal defenceman.

His biggest weaknesses are: 1) physical play, which gets amplified when you plan to man-to-man; and 2) breakout passing, which gets amplified when your wingers play too faraway and your centre flies the zone too early trying to support the too-faraway wingers.

I'm not saying it's acceptable, but the system's not doing him any benefits. He looks fine until we get into our own zone (although he can get into problems because he's not decisive about when to pinch).

If Krueger and staff play a proper system (there's a great Derek Zona article on this), he'll go back to looking like a second-pairing defenceman instead of a third-pairing. I mean, Christ, all of our defencemen from last year look worse this year.
Awesome analysis thx for that.

Closed Thread