HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Gorges $3.9M/6 years Bad Contract or Good?

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
He almost cost his team again tonight with his lazy penalty late in the third on Malone. He was also out of position a dozen times, as was the rest of his bonehead blueline partners. Here's a tip, stop trying to block every shot, you are deflecting more onto our net than you are stopping. That goes for the rest of the dmen trying to block shots, but doing more harm than good.
Blocking shots does more harm to the team than good... gotcha

Old
04-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
I think what he meant was : either you BLOCK the shot, or you let your goalie see the puck instead

Old
04-19-2013, 07:52 AM
JohnLennon

Gorges hasn't been as good this season, but we need defensive defensemen on this team. How some of you are comparing him to Drewiske after only a handful of games, during which he wasn't even that impressive, is pretty ridiculous.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Native

gorges' contract is a reward that is based on his character and intangibles. yes, the $ value is too high, but in montreal, you typically have to overpay.

gorges is a dedicated player that works his strengths. what he lacks in natural talent and skill, he makes it up with hard work, dirty work, being vocal and supportive, and physical sacrifice.

when he fights, he knows he'll lose and get pummeled. willing to block shots with his head because he can't subban his way with slick moves. he does what he has to do. he does what he can. lead by example. alot of other players are playing below their potential.

gorges has recently stated that its not the goalies fault. don't blame them. blame him. holding his stick too tight, doing more than he can.

while i was disappointed with all his mistakes, i can't help but respect the guy for saying that and for what he brings. sometimes, you have to step back a bit and see things for what they are.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Habsawce

Did Gauthier or MB give Gorges that contract?

If MB did, it cannot be a reward for leadership and character or he is the biggest hypocrite in the world. Wouldn't sign PK to a long term deal because he needed to get to know him more and make sure he is a good guy for the room, yet gives Gorges a contract right off the bat based on those things without knowing a thing about him besides word of mouth?

If it was Gauthier that gave it to him this point is moot.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Did Gauthier or MB give Gorges that contract?

If MB did, it cannot be a reward for leadership and character or he is the biggest hypocrite in the world. Wouldn't sign PK to a long term deal because he needed to get to know him more and make sure he is a good guy for the room, yet gives Gorges a contract right off the bat based on those things without knowing a thing about him besides word of mouth?

If it was Gauthier that gave it to him this point is moot.
NOT signing PK to a long term deal was probably the best thing MB did as a GM so far. It humbled PK a bit, forced him to walk the walk in terms of being a team player on and off the ice and didn't put the crazy pressure on him that has derailed the career of a guy like Myers because of his huge extension. As much as we'll probably take a hit in terms of cap hit after 13-14, it's worth it if PK reached full potential as a perennial top 5 NHL d-man.

Not sure how that relates to Gorges? Gorges was an established NHL veteran in his prime who was headed to UFA. I'd rather have him signed for 4 or 5 years instead of 6 but sub 4 mil cap hit for a top 4 d-man is a good deal.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
NOT signing PK to a long term deal was probably the best thing MB did as a GM so far. It humbled PK a bit, forced him to walk the walk in terms of being a team player on and off the ice and didn't put the crazy pressure on him that has derailed the career of a guy like Myers because of his huge extension. As much as we'll probably take a hit in terms of cap hit after 13-14, it's worth it if PK reached full potential as a perennial top 5 NHL d-man.

Not sure how that relates to Gorges? Gorges was an established NHL veteran in his prime who was headed to UFA. I'd rather have him signed for 4 or 5 years instead of 6 but sub 4 mil cap hit for a top 4 d-man is a good deal.
That was not what I asked in the slightest. I asked if MB signed him to the contract, and if people believe he did so in the context of leadership and character? Because if he did it would make him a hypocrite for the comments he made about not signing PK because he didn't know what he was like in the room.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
That was not what I asked in the slightest. I asked if MB signed him to the contract, and if people believe he did so in the context of leadership and character? Because if he did it would make him a hypocrite for the comments he made about not signing PK because he didn't know what he was like in the room.
MB surely knew the "scoop" on what PK was in the room.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
It was Gauthier who signed the contract. A simple google search

Old
04-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
It was Gauthier who signed the contract. A simple google search
cheers

Old
04-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Habs

Quote:
Are you serious? You can't fathom the difference between what I am suggesting?

Old
04-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Habtchum*

Gorges is built to play 70-72 games at most with the physical attibutes he has, and his all-out style to block shots. I would like Therrien to rest him for a couple of games before Playoffs. But I doubt it's gonna happen.

He is paid not only for his play, but also for his leadership and everyday presence in front of medias.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Here's a tip, stop trying to block every shot, you are deflecting more onto our net than you are stopping. That goes for the rest of the dmen trying to block shots, but doing more harm than good.
You are suggesting that defenceman shouldn't try to block every shot they think they should.

Quote:
Are you serious? You can't fathom the difference between what I am suggesting?
While you may have meant something else, it's not what you wrote. How do you think it's a good idea to put doubt in a players head by telling him to not try to block every shot they can? It's what made Gorges such an important player in the playoffs

Old
04-19-2013, 04:41 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
That's completely false. The reason PK Subban was signed to a bridge contract was because he was still young, unproven and had only played 2 NHL seasons.... why would you sign a young defense to a long-term deal after two damn seasons?!

Gorges, on the other hand, had played seven seasons, already burned through his bridge contract and had proven himself in the NHL; thus earning his contract. How you can compare a veteran to a borderline rookie and then complain that they aren't treated the same is beyond me.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:44 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

Old
04-19-2013, 05:59 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Nice addition to this discussion...

Seriously, is it because you are mad that he is right and still want something to to complain about regarding MB? Why bother posting?

Old
04-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post

Seriously, is it because you are mad that he is right and still want something to to complain about regarding MB? Why bother posting?
The triple-laugh smiley is what you add when you can't debate what's being quote.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:46 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

great point , for the first time in his life PK was challenged and someone said NO
he got away with great skill in Belleville , but Montreal said this is how you have to play to succeed

great move , wouyld he do this if he got 30 over 6 right away , probably not

clearly the comments by Gorges and Markov in the media signalled that a character change had to be done

Old
05-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Bieber fever

-3 in so far in playoff

He's putrid

Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 PM
bw74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
-3 in so far in playoff

He's putrid
he was awful in last games
today he was terrible, cant imagine he 'll stay 5 more years in montreal

Old
05-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Deflected Silfverbergs shot into the net and chose to let Karlsson dance through him instead of lifting his stick leading to the first goal. Just brutal.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:54 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
The triple-laugh smiley is what you add when you can't debate what's being quote.
I'm just not delusional. It's a bad contract.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:14 AM
JustAHabFan

Gorges is playing awful hockey right now.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Aceekay

I still can't believe how bad he's gotten, he's actually useless, no offense, no defense, no toughness. It irks me that he's probably one of the players who speaks up the most in the lockeroom, before he starts talking like a veteran he should try to start playing like one, because gorges is playing like a scared rookie right now.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:09 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Gorges is playing awful hockey right now.
Yup. I don't know what him and Diaz were doing behind the net. We had a clear chance to get it out. TONS of time and then they try this screwed up reverse that ends up in a great chance for Ottawa and Carey couldn't make the proper save.

While Carey is getting a lot of heat (justifiably), down the stretch (and I've posted quite a bit about captain kelowna), Gorges has been horrible. He used to be the guy that you rely on. Now, he's the liability. Doesn't block shots like he used to, rather he gets in the way. He battles hard for sure and that could be used by guys like Ryder, but the results are getting worse by the day, something I did NOT expect. He'll now have one solid game out of 5. He does have the experience though so I'm hoping he knows how to fix this. Both his and Diaz have the problem of only being able to handle the puck on their forehand. Paired together it makes for some big time problems. I'm just glad there was no interview from him post-game.

Closed Thread