HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
For any one in the know, why has Pulock been dropping with scouts? It seems like him, Ristolainen a little and Hagg, which were the top dmen after Jones in the preseason, have dropped. Hagg I thought had a good World Juniors too. It it too much exposure or the fancy new guys syndrome with Nurse and Zadorov?
Nurse has rocketed up, to be sure, and Zadorov's stock has definitely improved.

Pulock has fallen a bit because of questions around his defensive game (and, to a lesser extent, skating).

I don't think Ristolainen has really fallen much. He's still right there with Zadorov as the 3rd / 4th best defenseman in the draft on most lists.

I don't remember Hagg ever being in the conversation as a top-10 overall pick. I though he was pegged more in the 20-30 range from the start--and that seems to be where he is now, no?

Old
04-18-2013, 02:47 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Nurse has rocketed up, to be sure, and Zadorov's stock has definitely improved.

Pulock has fallen a bit because of questions around his defensive game (and, to a lesser extent, skating).

I don't think Ristolainen has really fallen much. He's still right there with Zadorov as the 3rd / 4th best defenseman in the draft on most lists.

I don't remember Hagg ever being in the conversation as a top-10 overall pick. I though he was pegged more in the 20-30 range from the start--and that seems to be where he is now, no?
He was ranked 11th overall on ISS initial list in October.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:48 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I'm still pulling for Risto or Zad.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He was ranked 11th overall on ISS initial list in October.
Fair enough.

The highest I remembered seeing him was 17th (November). The early season ones are usually pretty poor--with guys rated in the top-10 who don't end up going in the 1st round. Going back to the start of the (shortened season), I didn't remember ever seeing him projected to go in the top-10 of the draft.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Fair enough.

The highest I remembered seeing him was 17th (November). The early season ones are usually pretty poor--with guys rated in the top-10 who don't end up going in the 1st round. Going back to the start of the (shortened season), I didn't remember ever seeing him projected to go in the top-10 of the draft.
October 2012- 11th
November 2012- 17th
December 2012- 17th
January 2013- 12th
February 2013- 22nd
March 2013- 23rd

Here's his rankings by months. I guess the WJC's boosted his stock back up a bit and then he dropped.

Overall he could be a late pick in the 1st round or fall into the 2nd round at this point.

Depending on what we do with our 1st pick, Hagg could potentially be a good pick for the Flyers in the 2nd round if he falls.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-18-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old
04-18-2013, 03:18 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I have a feeling that we'll be digging more deeply into this Zadorov v. Ristolainen discussion after April 29.

I do like that Zadorov is playing in London under Hunter, but I'm wary about his offensive upside. That said, the Flyers don't often pick this high, so there might be some value in taking a bigger risk.

The way BCF16 described Zadorov, it reminded me a bit of Bogosian--other than the handedness, of course.
Zadorov isn't a Bogosian-type of defenseman. In all fairness, and I hate using this comparison, he really does compare favourably to Zdeno Chara. Zadorov has a really hard shot like Chara, he's physical like Chara, and his offense is a work in progress. I think the biggest thing about Zadorov's game that often gets overlooked is just how well he manages the game when he's on the ice. His game management is off the chart and so is his intelligence and positioning.

Those are the qualities that really stand out for me when I watch Zadorov play. Personally, I think his offense will translate at the next level because of how smart he is. He just knows where to be on the ice at all times and when given the chance to play an offensive role, he seems to be very confident with the puck and it's always on the net. He just has that "it" factor with regards to the game.

I know he isn't as flashy as Jones or Nurse or has played against men like Ristolainen has, but whoever drafts Zadorov, if they're patient with him, the returns are going to be big. This is a guy who really is a five tool defenseman and those are rare.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
October 2012- 11th
November 2012- 17th
December 2012- 17th
January 2013- 12th
February 2013- 22nd
March 2013- 23rd

Here's his rankings by months. I guess the WJC's boosted his stock back up a bit and then he dropped.

Overall he could be a late pick in the 1st round or fall into the 2nd round at this point.

Depending on what we do with our 1st pick, Hagg could potentially be a good pick for the Flyers in the 2nd round if he falls.
Seems ISS was just a lot higher on him than others. At the same time that they had him at 12, McKenzie had him at 29, Button at 28, ans McKeen's at 22.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
I could see them, after making the early selection, move up if he tumbles.

Old
04-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Zadorov isn't a Bogosian-type of defenseman. In all fairness, and I hate using this comparison, he really does compare favourably to Zdeno Chara. Zadorov has a really hard shot like Chara, he's physical like Chara, and his offense is a work in progress. I think the biggest thing about Zadorov's game that often gets overlooked is just how well he manages the game when he's on the ice. His game management is off the chart and so is his intelligence and positioning.

Those are the qualities that really stand out for me when I watch Zadorov play. Personally, I think his offense will translate at the next level because of how smart he is. He just knows where to be on the ice at all times and when given the chance to play an offensive role, he seems to be very confident with the puck and it's always on the net. He just has that "it" factor with regards to the game.

I know he isn't as flashy as Jones or Nurse or has played against men like Ristolainen has, but whoever drafts Zadorov, if they're patient with him, the returns are going to be big. This is a guy who really is a five tool defenseman and those are rare.
I had visions of Malakhov watching Zadorov. Big, rangy, skilled, smart. He's not as mean as Chara, and not quite as big... yet.

One of the reviews said there is talk he go very high (even top 5) to team that likes his potential.

Would go perfectly in the left side with Zaitsev as his partner! (fingers crossed).

For me, if we can get Nurse or Zadorov, I will be happy. Not sure now, with these darn wins....

Old
04-18-2013, 04:55 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I had visions of Malakhov watching Zadorov. Big, rangy, skilled, smart. He's not as mean as Chara, and not quite as big... yet.

One of the reviews said there is talk he go very high (even top 5) to team that likes his potential.

Would go perfectly in the left side with Zaitsev as his partner! (fingers crossed).

For me, if we can get Nurse or Zadorov, I will be happy. Not sure now, with these darn wins....
Well, there are four teams that could probably use a defenseman that are in the top 10 - Florida, Tampa Bay, Edmonton and Philadelphia. With that being said, MacTavish is looking to shake up the Oilers, so it's possible their first round pick could be dealt as part of that shake up. With Yzerman in Tampa Bay, it's possible that with Slater Koekkoek in the fold, he looks at a forward. So, we're down to two teams actually look for defensemen - Florida and Philadelphia. With the glut of high end forwards available in this year's draft (and let's not kid ourselves here, there's an embarrassment of riches amongst the forward position), the Flyers could very well end up choosing between Nurse and Zadorov.

Personally, I see the draft going something like this:

1) Jones
2) Drouin
3) Nichushkin
4) Mackinnon
5) Barkov
6) Monahan
7) Lindholm
8) Nurse or Zadorov
9) Nurse or Zadorov

Those are pretty good odds to face. Of course, as mentioned, the wild cards are Edmonton and Tampa Bay. It all depends on what Yzerman and MacTavish do.

Old
04-18-2013, 05:43 PM
ahthorne

I'm gonna go ahead and say that I'm praying for Nurse or Zadorov since Jones is out of the question. Ristolainen would be nice too, but I'd LOVE Nurse or Zadorov.

If we fall out of the top-10, I will be disappointed. Top-10 gives us an opportunity at these players:

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Drouin
4. Barkov
5. Lindholm
6. Monahan
7. Nichushkin
8. Nurse
9. Zadorov
10. Ristolainen

After the top-10 it seems more like a guessing game. Picks all over the map on every mock that I've seen. At least this is a very deep draft and it's likely that we'll be able to get a solid NHLer. I have high faith in the Flyers scouting. From what limited draft and college/european free agent resources they've had over the past few years they've drafted some great players.

Since 2000, they've only drafted in the first 2 rounds 16 times out of a possible 24 ... they've given up 8 1st and 2nd round picks over the past twelve years... such a bummer. Out of those 16 picks only Woywitka, Marshall, Ratchuk, Bodrov, and Nodl* look like they aren't solid picks (Stolarz and Laughton not included... although both look like good picks). Since 1995 the only 1st round picks that didn't turn into quality NHLers have been Woywitka and a pair of goalies (and Boucher was a solid backup for a while...). The 2001 draft (Woywitka) was really not a very good draft to begin with...

I have high faith in a solid selection no matter where we are, though but I'm holding my breath for a high end player...

Old
04-18-2013, 05:56 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Well, there are four teams that could probably use a defenseman that are in the top 10 - Florida, Tampa Bay, Edmonton and Philadelphia. With that being said, MacTavish is looking to shake up the Oilers, so it's possible their first round pick could be dealt as part of that shake up. With Yzerman in Tampa Bay, it's possible that with Slater Koekkoek in the fold, he looks at a forward. So, we're down to two teams actually look for defensemen - Florida and Philadelphia. With the glut of high end forwards available in this year's draft (and let's not kid ourselves here, there's an embarrassment of riches amongst the forward position), the Flyers could very well end up choosing between Nurse and Zadorov.

Personally, I see the draft going something like this:

1) Jones
2) Drouin
3) Nichushkin
4) Mackinnon
5) Barkov
6) Monahan
7) Lindholm
8) Nurse or Zadorov
9) Nurse or Zadorov

Those are pretty good odds to face. Of course, as mentioned, the wild cards are Edmonton and Tampa Bay. It all depends on what Yzerman and MacTavish do.
I honestly think that with the dire need of Dmen the NHL if its a even close at all you go with the D. Either way if we finish top 10 we either get a Dman or a nice fwd. As far as finishing top 10 who knows but we may be able to trade up a few spots.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
1. Jones
2-3. MacKinnon and Drouin [in some order]
4. Barkov
5-8. Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin, Nurse [in some order]
9-10. Zadorov and Ristolainen [in some order]
That's what I expect. FLA going 1st overall could be a wildcard--they may well take Mackinnon over Jones.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
That's what I expect. FLA going 1st overall could be a wildcard--they may well take Mackinnon over Jones.
Yeah. I could also see a different team in need of selling tickets taking MacKinnon over Jones too. If Nashville winds up with #1 they need offense, and also to sell tickets. Tampa Bay too I could see going MacKinnon. Not a lock by any means, but I could see a couple teams taking MacKinnon over Jones.

Old
04-18-2013, 08:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Don't worry guys. All the teams we need to win for us to get a higher pick....are losing...sigh

Also I guess we arent an NHL team anymore

Last edited by sa cyred: 04-18-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old
04-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Don't worry guys. All the teams we need to win for us to get a higher pick....are losing...sigh
Eh, we were never going to catch FLA anyway--it is more important that they lose to NJD and TB. Maybe they'll come out a bit better against the Devils after that effort.

Old
04-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Eh, we were never going to catch FLA anyway--it is more important that they lose to NJD and TB. Maybe they'll come out a bit better against the Devils after that effort.
Yea we aren't catching any of the bottom three teams. we should be looking at the teams with 38 or more points, which is everyone above the 3rd worst spot. We can still pick top 5, just not that realistic. Sort of like our playoff chances were.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:09 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Also I guess we arent an NHL team anymore

Too funny. Ottawa makes the playoffs AND gets a shot at the lottery. Sweet.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Would have been nice if TB could have held on for a point.

CAR gets one--but not a lot of help so far tonight.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-18-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old
04-18-2013, 09:53 PM
daynus

this list is bonkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Too funny. Ottawa makes the playoffs AND gets a shot at the lottery. Sweet.
yah ottawa gets a shot at the lotto, boston picks twice, columbus gets 1 pick and we dont get a first round pick. this wont go over well.sa cyeds list.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Would have been nice if TB could have held on for a point.

CAR gets one--but not a lot of help so far tonight.
Phoenix got a loser point too.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Yea we aren't catching any of the bottom three teams. we should be looking at the teams with 38 or more points, which is everyone above the 3rd worst spot. We can still pick top 5, just not that realistic. Sort of like our playoff chances were.
Agreed, the only teams I can see possibly passing us are the flames, oilers, and MAYBE the lightning. Hoping atleast one of them will pass us.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Agreed, the only teams I can see possibly passing us are the flames, oilers, and MAYBE the lightning. Hoping atleast one of them will pass us.
The problem, at this point, is that the teams currently slotted between #3-7 would pretty much all have to win at least two games to get "ahead" of us in the standings (the Oilers could do it with a win and loser point).

The downside of all the ROW--we win a tiebreaker against most of the teams.

Old
04-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

If you had to choose between Monahan and Zadorov, who would be your pick? The Flyers need help at both defense and forward. I want the BPA when we pick.The countdown is at 15 and dropping where we pick. My favorite mid 1st round pick maybe there when we pick...Kerby Rychel!!!

Last edited by Hockeypete49: 04-19-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old
04-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
If you had to choose between Monahan and Zadorov, who would be your pick? The Flyers need help at both defense and forward. I want the BPA when we pick.The countdown is at 15 and dropping where we pick.
Monahan. There are some good defensemen prospects available in the 2nd rd but forward talent drops off pretty rapidly.

Closed Thread