HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Conkanen*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Well Mikko Koivu is #1 C in the NHL. Barkov who outplayed Mikko Koivu at the lockout season as a 17 year old when they was matched against. We all know that Mikko Koivu competes everytime when he is on ice despite being FEL game. We are talking 17 year old who basically destroyed every offensive record in FEL for draft eligible player despite being one of the best two-way players if not the best in the league. Not best prospect or young player but arguably best two-way foward in the entire league.

Barkov has already polished game, he creates alot of nonflashy chances and scores alot of goals infront of net and clear majority of goals are scored infront of net. It is the crucial scoring area in game especially in the NHL. Barkov is playing against men and faces experienced pro players. It's not as easy to score flashy goals and dangles against them. It's easier to dangle CHL players who are still unexperienced and are prone to make mistakes. Barkov haven't made alot of highlight reel plays but how much Crosby does those plays nowadays? How much he dangles nowadays? It's just simple and effective. Barkov plays similar offensive game. He has very fast head and can think the game couple steps ahead other players. Crosby is on different level on his head but Barkov is very high-end in that department.

When i compare him to Mikko Koivu Barkov has clearly more offensive talent and is already better than him in many offensive attributes. I have no doubt that Barkov has #1 C potential. In Oilers case #1B. RHN could score slightly more points every year but Barkov is the one who plays every situation, more TOI and is more important and useful for the team.

Barkov is defensively elite and he has potential to be competing for selke every year. How he competes and fight for the puck reminds me from Jere Lehtinen and Mikko Koivu. He doesen't give up in any situation. Isn't as intensive as Koivu but works as hard. Dragan Umicevic the swedish player stated that Barkov is the most talented player he has played with and he clearly stated that he has played with Kopitar. It doesen't mean that he will be as good or better but has talent to be better.

You don't score 48 points as 17 year old in FEL without having #1 potential. Mikko Koivu had 1 point in his draft year. Different era yes but Barkov has made history in FEL offensively. He contributed in WJC as 16 year old. Scoring gamewinner in QF and was younger than Crosby to score in WJC. Had 4 points in 7 games without having any PP time as 3rd C and those points was against Can, Cze, Svk and swe. Statistically he is impressive but when you watch him playing you'll notice that he doesen't have to change thing to translate his offensive game into NHL. Simple, quick, effective and straight foward. When considering his raw skating and it is still developing i think that his offensive ceiling is very high. Sky is the limit but he never will be flashy player just effective.
Damn thomast sweet breakdown. He sounds like exactly what we need.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

For all the "small small small" "rabble Rabble rabble" stuff going on, consider a couple things. First, a guy like Drouin (and MacKinnon to an extent) may not be "huge" players, but they are HIGH END talents.

Second, if some how Drouin falls to the Oilers, forcing them to take him, then you can trade Gagner without even blinking an eye. I'm suggesting either converting Drouin to the middle or flipping, say, Gagner, Hemsky and Hamilton to PHX for Hanzal and Klesla, boom big center and the overall skill on the team has increased.

Again, we all whine about size, and it's needed, but being better then everyone helps too.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:02 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Again, we all whine about size, and it's needed, but being better then everyone helps too.
I would argue that the NHL is almost like a zero sum game. Of course we would like to add more skill but it would be at the expense of improving somewhere else. Lets face it, this team is built on 1st round picks. If we aren't going to address a need through the draft, I don't have the confidence in our management team to add big physical players while only giving up small skilled guys.

Hall, RNH, Eberle, Paajarvi, Yakupov, Hemsky and Gagner are all 1st round picks. Given that our top 7 forwards were all drafted here, I just don't see us being able to trade for elite talent.

By all accounts, I think Drouin will be better than Eberle. I just don't see us moving Ebs and filling those holes we need.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
The Oilers aren't going to be in position for Mack or Drouin (or Barkov most likely).

If we win lottery than its Jones. If we don't win lottery we are picking 5-9 and those players are gone
Have you watched the oilers play lately? anyone is catchable except FLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I've been a huge Jones fan all year, but my god do I want Barkov now
Yeah me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I'm currently praying for as many losses as possible down the stess. 1) for the obvious reason of guaranteeing one of Mackinnon/Barkov or Monahan. 2) Make for such a miserable ending that a huge overhaul has to happen this summer.
Yeah that second part is really important, i was getting worried if we finished 9/10 they might return most of the roster, we need to replace at least 7 players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafrelio View Post
IF we did land Barkov, he could be sent to the minors if he came over but needed more seasoning, no?
I think so, usually it depends what the deal is with the players European contract, if its expired, then he should be NHL/AHL at his teams discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Yes I believe so. It'll be interesting what whoever gets him does, since he could be out up to 6 months with his shoulder injury.
Really? when did this happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Say we end up at best possible scenario 4th. Who's worth more Barkov or Bogosian?
Bogosian. He's easily a top pair guy, maybe a true #1, Barkov is a prospect who isn't even getting consideration for 1st overall.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:56 AM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Really? when did this happen.
During his playoffs. Apparently more recent info is it'll only be 3 months.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:12 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I think I'd probably draft Barkov #2 behind Jones at this point, TBH.

This is the first draft to me, where "BPA" doesn't necessarily mean "most talented".

I'd probably go something like:

Jones
Barkov
Mackinnon
Monahan
Drouin
Lindholm
Nurse

Old
04-19-2013, 11:03 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
For all the "small small small" "rabble Rabble rabble" stuff going on, consider a couple things. First, a guy like Drouin (and MacKinnon to an extent) may not be "huge" players, but they are HIGH END talents.

Second, if some how Drouin falls to the Oilers, forcing them to take him, then you can trade Gagner without even blinking an eye. I'm suggesting either converting Drouin to the middle or flipping, say, Gagner, Hemsky and Hamilton to PHX for Hanzal and Klesla, boom big center and the overall skill on the team has increased.

I keep hearing the same things every year. Always draft BPA and worry about trading for needs later yet the trades never happen and the same needs remain.
The Oilers are not getting Hanzal out of Phoenix without one of "The Big 4" going the other way, that's just the reality of it. Hanzal is arguably their 2nd most player, he will be extremely tough to pry out of Phoenix.

If there is a choice between Drouin and Barkov, you take Barkov and don't think twice. I would draft Monahan over him too. It's not like Drouin is a generational talent or a consensus #1 pick. If the Oilers are at 7 or 8 and Drouin drops that far then it becomes a no brainer to take him but otherwise, give me the strong 2 way center or the potential #1 Dman.
The BPA thing is overrated unless you're drafting in the top 3 or the prospect is CLEARLY the BPA.

The Oilers already have enough skilled high end talent on the wing to last a generation. It's time to add strength and 2 way play to this group and the easiest way for the Oilers to do this is through the draft since they don't have a lot of attractive assets outside of The Big 5 who i'm sure are pretty much untouchable.

Last edited by CupofOil: 04-19-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old
04-19-2013, 11:26 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

For me, Jones is #1 and Drouin, MacKinnon and Barkov are tied at #2.

BPA applies when there is a considerable difference in players. For example, Florida may need a forward more but they should pick Jones because is almost the undisupted #1.

I would still take MacKinnon over Barkov though. That being said, I haven't seen Barkov as much.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
This is post which i posted about his personality to the leafs boards. Not sure what he could bring in oilers locker room but i could see intant chemistry between yakupov and Barkov. Barkov speaks fluent russian. Barkov was also leading his playoff series in points before he got injured.

I've been following this conversation about Barkov for while and the thing about his Leadership is pretty interesting. Like interactif stated Barkov isn't very charismatic or leader on the locker room. I never see Barkov as future captain. He is shy and extremely humble think Datsyuk or Jere Lehtinen in personality.

But how Barkov leads by example on the ice? He does it everything. How he competes on the single puck battles, how he blocks the shots and most of all how he leads his team by his poise and confident game which boost other players confidence aswell. I think that interactif have some valid points Barkov being not charismatic but then there is clearly lack of knowledge about his passion to win, to be a better player and what kind of team player he is. Barkov is first guy at the team practices and the last guy leaving the ice. His hockey team coach has stated that he has to drive Barkov away from training too much at the gym and on the ice.

The thing that this 17 year old kid does incredibly well that he does everything what coach says without a problem. He is showing example to old veteran players and stanley cup champs how the game system should be played. I don't see any other player in FEL who excetutes the team concept or team system as well as Barkov. I would describe him as an dream player for coach. Barkov leads by example how the game should be played and the coach say to other players just watch Barkov and play like that. That is incredible for 17 year old.

Barkov is heart and soul of his FEL team and that team has come from non playoff team to a championship contending team and Barkov is carrying that team on his young shoulders.

Barkov isn't the loudest guy or the voice in the locker room but he is all about winning and he leaves everything off him to the ice and it doesen't matter if it is team practice or something he does all with amazing effort.

His team is shifting Barkov as player who takes the control of the game with his calmness and ice cool play when the team is getting high pressure.

Barkov is never going to be cocky and charismatic off the ice he's always going to be humble guy who chats to fans like any other people or signs autographs for every single fan. I've seen him doing that at 17 year old of age. He is very kind for fans and any other people. There is little bit of Forrest Gumpness in Barkov. When Jenny shouts to Forrest "run, Forrest, run" he runs like crazy until there is someone who say stop. Think coach as Jenny and Barkov as Forrest and playing hockey instead of running. There is similar excecution. Barkov does all the little things and details correctly just like coach ask for. He has that similar passion as Forrest in practicing and getting as a better player(Forrest mastering ping ball) it looks almost stupid when you look how hard this guy practices or how he can't stop until there is coach or team mate to stop him but he just want to be an better player. It's incredible ability for 17 year old at pro league. I know that it is wierd to compare movie character to hockey player but you guys wanted description about his personality and there it is in a nutshell.
I didn't know all this about Barkov, but I like him even more now. I think the less ego the better. I think that would be a better fit in the locker room.

This is purely circumstantial, but from what I've heard of Drouin, in terms of personality, is he is Mike Comrie 2.0. That's from a guy who used to play with Comrie. Not comparing skill level. Just the Hot Shot vibe. It may not matter. Kane is the same and won a cup in Chicago, but I'd just prefer not to have that type of guy on the team if that's what he's like. The Ego balance on the team can be a delecate thing with so many high draft picks.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Well Mikko Koivu is #1 C in the NHL. Barkov who outplayed Mikko Koivu at the lockout season as a 17 year old when they was matched against. We all know that Mikko Koivu competes everytime when he is on ice despite being FEL game. We are talking 17 year old who basically destroyed every offensive record in FEL for draft eligible player despite being one of the best two-way players if not the best in the league. Not best prospect or young player but arguably best two-way foward in the entire league.

Barkov has already polished game, he creates alot of nonflashy chances and scores alot of goals infront of net and clear majority of goals are scored infront of net. It is the crucial scoring area in game especially in the NHL. Barkov is playing against men and faces experienced pro players. It's not as easy to score flashy goals and dangles against them. It's easier to dangle CHL players who are still unexperienced and are prone to make mistakes. Barkov haven't made alot of highlight reel plays but how much Crosby does those plays nowadays? How much he dangles nowadays? It's just simple and effective. Barkov plays similar offensive game. He has very fast head and can think the game couple steps ahead other players. Crosby is on different level on his head but Barkov is very high-end in that department.

When i compare him to Mikko Koivu Barkov has clearly more offensive talent and is already better than him in many offensive attributes. I have no doubt that Barkov has #1 C potential. In Oilers case #1B. RHN could score slightly more points every year but Barkov is the one who plays every situation, more TOI and is more important and useful for the team.

Barkov is defensively elite and he has potential to be competing for selke every year. How he competes and fight for the puck reminds me from Jere Lehtinen and Mikko Koivu. He doesen't give up in any situation. Isn't as intensive as Koivu but works as hard. Dragan Umicevic the swedish player stated that Barkov is the most talented player he has played with and he clearly stated that he has played with Kopitar. It doesen't mean that he will be as good or better but has talent to be better.

You don't score 48 points as 17 year old in FEL without having #1 potential. Mikko Koivu had 1 point in his draft year. Different era yes but Barkov has made history in FEL offensively. He contributed in WJC as 16 year old. Scoring gamewinner in QF and was younger than Crosby to score in WJC. Had 4 points in 7 games without having any PP time as 3rd C and those points was against Can, Cze, Svk and swe. Statistically he is impressive but when you watch him playing you'll notice that he doesen't have to change thing to translate his offensive game into NHL. Simple, quick, effective and straight foward. When considering his raw skating and it is still developing i think that his offensive ceiling is very high. Sky is the limit but he never will be flashy player just effective.
On another note, how's Umicevic playing this year? I thought he might turn out to be a steal for us. I was incorrect.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Baggers

Quote:
TROGDOR RETURNS!!! (Burninating the countryside!)

Old
04-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
TROGDOR RETURNS!!! (Burninating the countryside!)
And don't forget those poor peasants.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:19 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky View Post
On another note, how's Umicevic playing this year? I thought he might turn out to be a steal for us. I was incorrect.
He was playing on ässät team at the beginning. It is the team where Joel Armia plays after that he moved to Tappara. He is quite soft and slow player but posesses excellent vision. He has been ok i think. Had 14points in 21gp and 6points in 11 playoff games. Nothing special, the difference of his good and bad game is enormous. Very inconsistent.

Another big point that Barkov actually played against some NHL-players most of this year because of the lockout and outplayed most of them. Basically broke up every offensive record for draft eligible player and majority of the season was against lockout players. Not to forget that Barkov is couple weeks of being 2014 draft eligible player.

Last edited by thomast: 04-19-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Toydarian

I can't see NSH passing on Barkov, EDM would have to pick ahead of the preds if they hope to get him.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:49 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
According to this site,Alex Barkov is projected to be selected 5th overall.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

1.Seth Jones
2.Jonathan Drouin
3.Nathan Mackinnon
4.Valeri Nichushkin
5.Aleksander Barkov

Last edited by oilersfan11: 04-19-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 01:52 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
He was playing on ässät team at the beginning. It is the team where Joel Armia plays after that he moved to Tappara. He is quite soft and slow player but posesses excellent vision. He has been ok i think. Had 14points in 21gp and 6points in 11 playoff games. Nothing special, the difference of his good and bad game is enormous. Very inconsistent.

Another big point that Barkov actually played against some NHL-players most of this year because of the lockout and outplayed most of them. Basically broke up every offensive record for draft eligible player and majority of the season was against lockout players. Not to forget that Barkov is couple weeks of being 2014 draft eligible player.
the points about playing against a lot of NHL players for half the season and being very close to a 2014 draft pick (in age) are very important.... he has shown he can play against very good competition and still be a force... he is already big, but is exceptionally so for how young he is... he could easily be another 10 pounds heavier if he wasn't drafted until next year

it really is too bad that we're likely going to miss out on this player by about 2-3 spots... soooo close, oh well

Old
04-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

This is a really good post. Thanks for this.

I agree. I'm a huge fan of Barkov. During the season last year, I assumed we would finish this year with the 5th overall pick, so I went ahead and looked at some prospects in the 2013 draft. The two who jumped out at me were Barkov and Monahan, who I figured would both fight with Jones and MacKinnon for first overall. Jones has taken the top position and ran with it, deservingly so. MacKinnon and Drouin, I'm not so sure on, and I never have been. I hope for our sake other teams are so that we are able to draft Barkov at 5, or wherever we draft because I see him as even more than a 2C, I see him as a top centre, just below a franchise player (Toews, Kopitar). Him and RNH would create a 1-2 punch for the ages, matched only by Crosby and Malkin IMHO. Both have excellent vision and are fantastic at both ends of the ice. Drafting Barkov won't make the team better instantly, but it will go a long way in making the team a contender.

www.myNHLdraft.com is a good site to use when looking at the draft because not only does it take ISS rankings into consideration, it also takes a team's needs and tendencies into consideration when creating a top 30 list.

If we draft Barkov, I would bring him first to the AHL, then give him the third line Couturier treatment, meaning Gagner should stick around for two more seasons. After that, he should be either traded for depth, or tried at the wing in order for Barkov to become the 2C. One of Gagner or Eberle should be traded in order to fill needs at other positions. The pros to trading Gagner is Eberle is obviously the better player, but the con is he will net a much smaller return. The pro to trading Eberle is that Gagner can play centre and wing and will probably come cheaper while Eberle who is the better player can net a significant return.

Two possible scenarios:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Barkov-Yakupov
Hartkianen-Lander-????

Schultz-Klefbom
Petry-XXX
Smid-Musil

Hall-RNH-Gagner
Paajarvi-Barkov-Yakupov
Hartkianen-Lander-XXXX

Schultz-YYYY
Klefbom-Petry
Smid-Musil

Eberle could be traded for XXX and YYYY in scenario 2, while Gagner would probably only be able to return XXXX in scenario 1.

Last edited by Mr Forever: 04-19-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 02:03 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post

1.Seth Jones
2.Jonathan Drouin
3.Nathan Mackinnon
4.Valeri Nichushkin
5.Alex Barkov
99% Nichushkin won't go that early.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
99% Nichushkin won't go that early.
I was thinking, when looking at their mock draft, I can't imagine a universe where the Oilers Pass on Monahan outside the top-5

Old
04-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Anyone else kind of hoping the Oilers win the lottery, for obvious reasons of course (Jones) but, to see Mac-T's "Troll Face"?

I think it would be kind of hilarious and epic.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Anyone else kind of hoping the Oilers win the lottery, for obvious reasons of course (Jones) but, to see Mac-T's "Troll Face"?

I think it would be kind of hilarious and epic.
Yes it would be like a passing of the torch from Tambo to MacT.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:49 PM
SterlingArcher

We finish off the season against tough teams. We could easily fall a few more spots I would feel comfortable taking Barkov if we were 4th. Any higher than that and we just hope he falls maybe due to his injury. I really want Barkov

Old
04-19-2013, 02:49 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
I was thinking, when looking at their mock draft, I can't imagine a universe where the Oilers Pass on Monahan outside the top-5
I was thinking that too. Hell, i see them even taking him in the top 5 if Barkov is off the board.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:58 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post

1.Seth Jones
2.Jonathan Drouin
3.Nathan Mackinnon
4.Valeri Nichushkin
5.Aleksander Barkov
Monahan doesn't drop to 11th

no chance

Old
04-19-2013, 04:10 PM
OilFury

all we need is barkov we got klefbom coming, and have some good d prospects for the future in gernat/musil/marincin barkov will be that big bodied elite player we want for a C.

Closed Thread