HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Four games with draft implications tonight:
Quote:
NYR v. BUF
NSH v. CHI
EDM v. COL
ANA v. CGY
- Any kind of points by Buffalo would help ensure that the Flyers don't slip any further from their current spot.

- Nashville needs at least four points from its final four games to jump the Flyers in the standings--and one of those games is against Calgary. Asking for anything against Chicago is a stretch, but who knows.

- We can't realistically catch Colorado, so root for an Edmonton win here.

- It would be nice if Calgary managed the upset; they play Nashville next week, but they need at four points to pass the Flyers.

Our positioning can't get any better tonight--we'll still be 8th--but the right results could set up breaks for next week.

Old
04-19-2013, 07:55 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Monahan. There are some good defensemen prospects available in the 2nd rd but forward talent drops off pretty rapidly.
Honestly I'd rather double down on d prospects unless there is a clear best player available scenario involved, like if everyone is scared of by Nichushkin's Russian-ness and he drops.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Honestly I'd rather double down on d prospects unless there is a clear best player available scenario involved, like if everyone is scared of by Nichushkin's Russian-ness and he drops.
It is a bit of a moot point as I don't see Monahan getting past Nashville or Calgary, or which ever one doesn't choose Barkov. Based on current standing:

Florida- Mackinnon
Colorado-Jones
Carolina-Drouin
Nashville-Barkov
Tampa-Nichushkin
Calgary-Monahan
Edmonton-Nurse

So the Flyers would have to choose between Lindholm or a defenseman. If that's the case, I would probably lean defensemen. Unless the Flyers were really high on Lindholm, then I would trust there judgement when it comes to forwards.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Zadorov isn't a Bogosian-type of defenseman. In all fairness, and I hate using this comparison, he really does compare favourably to Zdeno Chara. Zadorov has a really hard shot like Chara, he's physical like Chara, and his offense is a work in progress. I think the biggest thing about Zadorov's game that often gets overlooked is just how well he manages the game when he's on the ice. His game management is off the chart and so is his intelligence and positioning.

Those are the qualities that really stand out for me when I watch Zadorov play. Personally, I think his offense will translate at the next level because of how smart he is. He just knows where to be on the ice at all times and when given the chance to play an offensive role, he seems to be very confident with the puck and it's always on the net. He just has that "it" factor with regards to the game.

I know he isn't as flashy as Jones or Nurse or has played against men like Ristolainen has, but whoever drafts Zadorov, if they're patient with him, the returns are going to be big. This is a guy who really is a five tool defenseman and those are rare.
The Flyers have several defensemen in their system that can play the body and clear a crease. What they need most are PMDs. IMO, when they pick both Nurse and Jones will be gone. The best PMD on the board would be Ristolainen. He should be the choice.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:17 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

- Any kind of points by Buffalo would help ensure that the Flyers don't slip any further from their current spot.

- Nashville needs at least four points from its final four games to jump the Flyers in the standings--and one of those games is against Calgary. Asking for anything against Chicago is a stretch, but who knows.

- It would be nice if Calgary managed the upset; they play Nashville next week, but they need at four points to pass the Flyers.

Our positioning can't get any better tonight--we'll still be 8th--but the right results could set up breaks for next week.

Grr! Why did the Flyers have to go and play better than .500 hockey their last 10 games..something they couldn't do the entire year.

That 4 game winning streak really screwed this team's draft position...

Old
04-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
It is a bit of a moot point as I don't see Monahan getting past Nashville or Calgary, or which ever one doesn't choose Barkov. Based on current standing:

Florida- Mackinnon
Colorado-Jones
Carolina-Drouin
Nashville-Barkov
Tampa-Nichushkin
Calgary-Monahan
Edmonton-Nurse

So the Flyers would have to choose between Lindholm or a defenseman. If that's the case, I would probably lean defensemen. Unless the Flyers were really high on Lindholm, then I would trust there judgement when it comes to forwards.
I can't believe the hurricanes could get Drouin. They're not even a bad team offensively, Ward is out and they have a shaky defense. Id' rather see Drouin on Nashville or Calgary where they need a potential superstar to help their franchise.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Flyers2point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Zadorov isn't a Bogosian-type of defenseman. In all fairness, and I hate using this comparison, he really does compare favourably to Zdeno Chara. Zadorov has a really hard shot like Chara, he's physical like Chara, and his offense is a work in progress. I think the biggest thing about Zadorov's game that often gets overlooked is just how well he manages the game when he's on the ice. His game management is off the chart and so is his intelligence and positioning.

Those are the qualities that really stand out for me when I watch Zadorov play. Personally, I think his offense will translate at the next level because of how smart he is. He just knows where to be on the ice at all times and when given the chance to play an offensive role, he seems to be very confident with the puck and it's always on the net. He just has that "it" factor with regards to the game.

I know he isn't as flashy as Jones or Nurse or has played against men like Ristolainen has, but whoever drafts Zadorov, if they're patient with him, the returns are going to be big. This is a guy who really is a five tool defenseman and those are rare.
Couldn't have put it any better. I'm really, really hoping the flyers draft him. The kid has so much potential and he's a hard worker, he wants to get better in all aspects of the game and he certainly has the tools to do so. I hope we get him.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Nichushkin is clearly a talented player. I don't know much about his work ethic or goals or whatever you want to call it, but this league has seen a couple guys in recent years with a ton of talent come from Russia and either fizzle out because of a purported lack of interest/work ethic or whatever you want to call it, or just bolt to Russia at some point (Zherdev, Filitov, Arthyukin, Radulov come to mind...there may be more that I am unaware of). People are constantly on Homer for his poor asset management and squandering draft picks on trades or goons, but this seems ok to many. I see it as a high risk-high reward scenario, in a sea of low-risk-high reward scenarios (defenseman or other forwards that may be available) The reward may not be as high, but the risk certainly is lower. I would be completely uncomfortable drafting this guy knowing he is under contract for two more years in the KHL. I'm not saying he won't come over or won't be good when/if he does, I am just saying if I have a top ten pick, I would be very uncomfortable spending on him.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:48 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
The Flyers have several defensemen in their system that can play the body and clear a crease. What they need most are PMDs. IMO, when they pick both Nurse and Jones will be gone. The best PMD on the board would be Ristolainen. He should be the choice.
Zadorov is more than just a crease clearer. He has superb puck moving skills and he's got a fantastic bomb of a shot from the point. The only reason he didn't play more on the offensive side this year was that he went to the team and asked to be put in the shut down role. He knew his defense needed work and he really fine tuned his defensive game. Next season, Zadorov will be given the opportunity to run the power play and play a more offensive game. If it comes down to Zadorov or Ristolainen, then it's Zadorov for me. Don't get me wrong, I really like Ristolainen, but Zadorov's potential might be too good to resist.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Jack de la Hoya

I think the London-Plymouth game was supposed to be re-aired tomorrow on the NHL network--but the BOS/PIT game has been rescheduled for 12:30--so I'm not sure if it will still be on.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Tripod

Quote:

lol....currently 7-3 NYR over Buffalo...no help there!

Old
04-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Mgkibbles

Lottery is now a lock. Yay!!!!

Old
04-19-2013, 08:56 PM
SuchySays

4% chance of getting #1 pick? ****

Old
04-19-2013, 08:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

3-2 Chicago with 10 mintues to go in the 2nd. Nashville is taking this tanking thing way too serious. It's going to be hard to top their suckage.

Edmonton up 2-1 after 1.

Calgary tied up at 0 after 1

Old
04-19-2013, 09:48 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
3-2 Chicago with 10 mintues to go in the 2nd. Nashville is taking this tanking thing way too serious. It's going to be hard to top their suckage.

Edmonton up 2-1 after 1.

Calgary tied up at 0 after 1
You'd think they would be going all out for the playoffs just to get a couple more games of gate receipts in. Weber's salary isn't going to pay itself.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:53 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
You'd think they would be going all out for the playoffs just to get a couple more games of gate receipts in. Weber's salary isn't going to pay itself.
Their forward core is so awful. The only talented forwards they have are all young and inexperienced. I highly doubt they'll be in the market for a defensemen so they might not be a problem for us like Edmonton and Calagry who could use some defensemen.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

**** 4 min PP for Chicago.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Welp, Predators picked up an important point. More than I expected against the Hawks.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Oilers and Flames winning, Preds get it to OT.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Predators and the Devils are the kings of the loser points.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:30 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Oilers win has us at 7th overall.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:34 PM
BernieParent

Calgary up 2-1 with 1:20 left. Man, you'd think the NHL Network could have stuck with the game for the last 80 seconds!

Edmonton wins.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Well, three out of four ain't bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Oilers win has us at 7th overall.
Unfortunately, we "win" the tie-breaker (ROW).

EDIT: You're right, in that they are "ahead" right now because they have a game-in-hand, but if they lose it, they will drop back below us. They still need another point.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-19-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 10:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Calgary up 2-1 with 1:20 left. Man, you'd think the NHL Network could have stuck with the game for the last 80 seconds!

Edmonton wins.
Calgary with the empty netter to seal it 3-1.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:43 PM
BernieParent

Nice. Plus, if that's Kiprusoff's last game in Calgary, he goes out in style.

Closed Thread