HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Kings Right Wing Prospect Brandon Kozun Is Finally Growing Up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2013, 04:45 PM
  #26
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Well firstly, Toffoli isn't Kozun, and theya re two different types of players. Usually he gets into the line up when Penner is out, and where does Penner play? With Carter and Richards often, so likely DS doesn't want to juggle the other lines.

Secondly, I was also referring to regular NHLers, which Toffoli isn't. When Toffoli gets to be a regular next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him spending some time on the 3rd line unless his game is just so advanced that he can hold his own on a scoring line, which we could use since Penner is likely gone after the season.

A third factor to consider is that Toffoli is a prospect of the likes we haven't seen in a forward in years. A kid who can score goals like crazy. When was the last time we had a kid who could slide into the line up (whether from Europe or from Manchester) and look excellent immediately on the top two lines for an extended period of time (not for a game or two)? Kopitar? That's years ago. Toffoli is a rare treat.

Most of our prospects who have or who will be getting a recall will play largely on the 3rd or 4th lines. That will happen with Kozun, Vey, Pearson, etc. It's a combination of two things; number one, our top two lines are pretty much set, especially if we can lock up Brown long-term and Toffoli cements that 2nd line winger slot. Number two, third and fourth line gives players more sheltered minutes, and against lighter checking players. Odds are they won't get overwhelmed playing constantly against the other teams best players, outside of a few occassions.

Honestly, it's the smart way to bring up kids, let them play where they can succeed, in limited dosages. Really, that's what the Kings are doing this year with Toffoli, letting him play at times, but also making him eat popcorn in the pressbox with Richardson too. He's not being overwhelmed and will be acclimatized a bit better should he have to play in the playoffs due to an injury.



I agree (as usual) and want to add that Stamkos is a great example of bringing a scoring forward along in the same manner. His first season he would play and sit, play and sit and then sit until he had a handle on the how to play in the NHL and they had the ability to make a permanent spot for him. Stamkos was handled perfectly and TT is being done in a very similar manner.

On D you can use VV as an example of how it is done. When they are ready under the best circumstances you bring them up with sheltered minutes and D partners and then ease them into their spots.

One of the things I like about the way that DL brings our kids up and onto our team (when he does so) is that we place all of our concern into bringing the kid up at the right time. VV would have been the Calder winner if he had played all 82 games last season imo.

DL knew that VV was very close to ready and could have made room for him early on but waited until the right situation came along. He wasn't concerned about VV possibly losing out on being rookie of the year as much as he was on continuing to develop him into a great player.

TT is being brought along correctly and both Vey and TP will be too. There may not be any set rule on when but how seems to be pretty easy when you know what your doing.

That is what makes the Kozun situation frustrating to me but as always I may question some of the decisions that DL and co make but I support them entirely.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:59 PM
  #27
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I agree (as usual) and want to add that Stamkos is a great example of bringing a scoring forward along in the same manner. His first season he would play and sit, play and sit and then sit until he had a handle on the how to play in the NHL and they had the ability to make a permanent spot for him. Stamkos was handled perfectly and TT is being done in a very similar manner.

On D you can use VV as an example of how it is done. When they are ready under the best circumstances you bring them up with sheltered minutes and D partners and then ease them into their spots.

One of the things I like about the way that DL brings our kids up and onto our team (when he does so) is that we place all of our concern into bringing the kid up at the right time. VV would have been the Calder winner if he had played all 82 games last season imo.

DL knew that VV was very close to ready and could have made room for him early on but waited until the right situation came along. He wasn't concerned about VV possibly losing out on being rookie of the year as much as he was on continuing to develop him into a great player.

TT is being brought along correctly and both Vey and TP will be too. There may not be any set rule on when but how seems to be pretty easy when you know what your doing.

That is what makes the Kozun situation frustrating to me but as always I may question some of the decisions that DL and co make but I support them entirely.
I get what both of you are saying but I think most believe that Melrose screwed up stamkos's rookie year.
I agree that you should only put kids in where they have a chance to succeed. However I still maintain that currently I do not think Kozun would succeed if he was put into a third line role with the kings.
That is all.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:04 PM
  #28
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 32,310
vCash: 500
Who really knows with Kozun being NHL ready. He'll have to earn a call up first and show what he could do in a brief amount of time, and that isn't going to happen this year. Maybe next year he could show his stuff at camp and in preseason, but there's some stiff competition he has to beat. He has a lot of competition ahead of him and I don't see him winning a spot over some of those who are ahead of him (Toffoli, Pearson, Vey, etc.).

For all we know, he could end up being the next Noah Clarke, a very productive minor leaguer who really doesn't fit in at the NHL level.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:31 PM
  #29
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I get what both of you are saying but I think most believe that Melrose screwed up stamkos's rookie year.
I agree that you should only put kids in where they have a chance to succeed. However I still maintain that currently I do not think Kozun would succeed if he was put into a third line role with the kings.
That is all.
All I can say is I really hope we screw up Kozun's year the way Tampa Bay screwed up Stamkos' and benefit in future years just as much.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:45 PM
  #30
HockeyCA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I didn't get that at all. The only thing I really took exception to was the claim that it is top two lines or bust for Kozun as an NHLer.

Morris himself explained his 'AX to grind" with Morris, and it all boils down to attitude, something even Kozun admitted to in the article many times. He's worked on it and Morris has ackowledged that. The article doesn't seem slanted at all, other than to show Kozun as a kid who had a chip on his shoulder (and understandably so) when he arrived in Manchester three years ago, and now has learned that he can success without that chip, a maturation essentially of Kozun. Pointing out how much a player has matured is not a slam job. It's a positive thing which should be applauded, and rightfully so. DL has always been about character and dedication, and the fact that Kozun has worked hard on becoming a two-way, all-zones guy (something even he acknowledges he needed to do) is a sign of him becoming a King down the road, not an attack on him as a player, nor as a person.

I think I will disagree with some of your assertions. Just looking at the other Article Titles by the writer in question, I think it is quite clear this was not really an article about the positive things Kozun brings to the table. "Kozun is finally growing up," "Vey is on the right side of the puck in his second season," "Kings have lucked out with 2012 First Round Pick, "Toffoli showing why hes the Kings top prospect." One of those articles is unlike the other, in my opinion, and that's my only point.

Also, the way the article written is somehow implying that Kozun is EVEN MORE cocky, arrogant, and confident then some of the other "young guys" that have come into the Kings system. Do we really think that Vey, Toffoli, and Pearson are not confident, and in some cases even cocky? I very much doubt that. So I guess my final point is, Hockey Canada does not take arrogant, overconfident, destructive players onto their World Junior Teams (Ask Kyle Beach). Obviously there can be exceptions, especially if you are a hyped up potential top overall pick, but generally, if you are not one of those players, they look for "high character" guys. This article is implying I guess that Kozun was not one of those players early on.. Which I very much doubt.

HockeyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:45 PM
  #31
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Who really knows with Kozun being NHL ready. He'll have to earn a call up first and show what he could do in a brief amount of time, and that isn't going to happen this year. Maybe next year he could show his stuff at camp and in preseason, but there's some stiff competition he has to beat. He has a lot of competition ahead of him and I don't see him winning a spot over some of those who are ahead of him (Toffoli, Pearson, Vey, etc.).

For all we know, he could end up being the next Noah Clarke, a very productive minor leaguer who really doesn't fit in at the NHL level.
I see the same things in Kozun that I have in every other player that I have said was ready to make the jump to the NHL and how they would perform once they did. It has worked out correctly so far but I am basing my opinion on my personal experience as that is what I have to go on. Kozun is NHL ready. I guess it will be difficult to really know unless things work out a certain way but I believe that I am as right as BJ as I have been about several other players over the years.

Other than that we will have to wait and see how BK does when he gets his chance wherever that is.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:56 PM
  #32
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
All I can say is I really hope we screw up Kozun's year the way Tampa Bay screwed up Stamkos' and benefit in future years just as much.
haha fair enough.


Last edited by Perro: 04-18-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: fair not far
Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:15 AM
  #33
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
I think I will disagree with some of your assertions. Just looking at the other Article Titles by the writer in question, I think it is quite clear this was not really an article about the positive things Kozun brings to the table. "Kozun is finally growing up," "Vey is on the right side of the puck in his second season," "Kings have lucked out with 2012 First Round Pick, "Toffoli showing why hes the Kings top prospect." One of those articles is unlike the other, in my opinion, and that's my only point.
Why is it a negative to say Kozun is finally grown up? The message comes from the coach himself, it's ok to say it and to do so in a positive manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
Also, the way the article written is somehow implying that Kozun is EVEN MORE cocky, arrogant, and confident then some of the other "young guys" that have come into the Kings system. Do we really think that Vey, Toffoli, and Pearson are not confident, and in some cases even cocky? I very much doubt that. So I guess my final point is, Hockey Canada does not take arrogant, overconfident, destructive players onto their World Junior Teams (Ask Kyle Beach). Obviously there can be exceptions, especially if you are a hyped up potential top overall pick, but generally, if you are not one of those players, they look for "high character" guys. This article is implying I guess that Kozun was not one of those players early on.. Which I very much doubt.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:19 AM
  #34
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Does anyone seriously think that Kozun will ever be a regular on the kings roster? I'd love to see how he does and I'm really pulling for this guy, but I just don't see it happening. I do think he can be an nhl regular. Just not with the kings.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:28 AM
  #35
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Does anyone seriously think that Kozun will ever be a regular on the kings roster? I'd love to see how he does and I'm really pulling for this guy, but I just don't see it happening. I do think he can be an nhl regular. Just not with the kings.
Likely not, but you never know. If we end up dumping guys like Richardson and Fraser and Penner, it is possible. I mean, someone will have to come in and play/sit in their place. Toffoli seems likely to grab one of the spots, but there could still be some roster fluxuation, especially with the salary cap this year. Wouldn't shock me if someone had to be dealt to free up some salary cap space, especially if a guy like Bernier or Voynov gets a RFA bid.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:35 AM
  #36
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Likely not, but you never know. If we end up dumping guys like Richardson and Fraser and Penner, it is possible. I mean, someone will have to come in and play/sit in their place. Toffoli seems likely to grab one of the spots, but there could still be some roster fluxuation, especially with the salary cap this year. Wouldn't shock me if someone had to be dealt to free up some salary cap space, especially if a guy like Bernier or Voynov gets a RFA bid.
Well, this is where you and I differ in our thinking. You think any winger should be able to play either side, whereas I think they have their strong side and weak side. Therefore, even with LWs Richie and Penner gone next season, that still doesn't create room for RWs Holloway and Toffoli.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:43 AM
  #37
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
I did not get the impression that Kozun does not think he is ready for the NHL at all. The kid has produced consistently night in and night out down in Manchester for 3 years now. Everyone knows that Morris has had an AX to grind with Kozun ever since he showed up in Manchester.. Which is rather strange. Your article is slanted towards trying to portray this kid as some kind of arrogant selfish individual who doesn't get along with teammates, which obviously is just plain wrong. As your article points out, he lives with the enforcer of the team, who by definition is a good "character" guy. Every time I have met him, I have always gotten the impression that he's a good kid who is very easy to get along with. Point 1.

In addition, I think it must also be pointed out that Kozun has been a point producer while getting significantly less ice time than our so called "top-gunners." For most of the year Kozun has not even been on the first PP unit, and is still a top 20 scorer. I guess my point is that it is this poster's opinion that Kozun has been given somewhat of a raw deal. He's currently a plus player, been on the team for 3 years now,is never hurt, and play's bigger than his size. Kozun will be an impact NHL player with somebody. Whether it's with us, I doubt it. But the old-fashioned scouting eye test tells me he's a player. I wish your article focused more on the player's abilities and the positive attributes he brings to the table, instead of some superficial slam job article about how much he's "grown up." My two cents anyways.
You need to read the story again. The article did not say that.

Also, you have your opinion about this. My story was based on first-hand accounts, including Kozun's own admission about his attitude. How it is that you're arguing that facts are wrong?

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:57 AM
  #38
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
You need to read the story again. The article did not say that.

Also, you have your opinion about this. My story was based on first-hand accounts, including Kozun's own admission about his attitude. How it is that you're arguing that facts are wrong?

From my pov.

I didn't see the facts of the article were wrong (not that you are asking me ) and still think it was well written and enjoyed it. Kozun has had that chip on his shoulder since his teamCA days (as far as I know). That was when I met him and got to know him. Cocky about his game I agree with entirely but not as a person at least not where i saw anyways.

I think there is room for differentiation between Kozun's level of maturity and his skills as a hockey player. That is where I have seen Kozun as having been NHL ready for the past two seasons (including this one). His game in so far as his on ice play has improved since joining the Monarchs without a doubt but he is today and has been in my opinion for the past two seasons ready and capable of playing in the NHL.

I think his maturation process has benefited from being on the farm without a doubt and in that agree that he has taken another step forward in his pro hockey career (on ice) but I also think that being on the Kings as well as being around the caliber of people/players/support would have been a great place for him to develop as well.


I guess I am saying that I believe that Kozun has been ready to play in the NHL skill wise for the past couple of seasons (including this one) and that he is only as immature as most young prospects. In that he could have also learned how to mature on the Kings as well as he has in MCH.

That said the minor leagues are the proper place to work out the rough edges of a young players game so that is that. I am more than hopeful now that we will see all of BK's hard work and maturity turn into him getting his shot. His game is above average and now that he has been deemed to be mature enough to handle it I hope to see him at least have the opportunity to make it at the next level.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:05 AM
  #39
Flour Child
Unleavened User
 
Flour Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Drury Lane
Posts: 22,625
vCash: 319
I have to say this is the longest thread that a Gann article has conceived.

It's sure different from the days of "Gannama!" and "Secret Agent Gann"

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:05 AM
  #40
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
From my pov.

I didn't see the facts of the article were wrong (not that you are asking me ) and still think it was well written and enjoyed it. Kozun has had that chip on his shoulder since his teamCA days (as far as I know). That was when I met him and got to know him. Cocky about his game I agree with entirely but not as a person at least not where i saw anyways.

I think there is room for differentiation between Kozun's level of maturity and his skills as a hockey player. That is where I have seen Kozun as having been NHL ready for the past two seasons (including this one). His game in so far as his on ice play has improved since joining the Monarchs without a doubt but he is today and has been in my opinion for the past two seasons ready and capable of playing in the NHL.

I think his maturation process has benefited from being on the farm without a doubt and in that agree that he has taken another step forward in his pro hockey career (on ice) but I also think that being on the Kings as well as being around the caliber of people/players/support would have been a great place for him to develop as well.

I guess I am saying that I believe that Kozun has been ready to play in the NHL skill wise for the past couple of seasons (including this one) and that he is only as immature as most young prospects. In that he could have also learned how to mature on the Kings as well as he has in MCH.

That said the minor leagues are the proper place to work out the rough edges of a young players game so that is that. I am more than hopeful now that we will see all of BK's hard work and maturity turn into him getting his shot. His game is above average and now that he has been deemed to be mature enough to handle it I hope to see him at least have the opportunity to make it at the next level.
He may have the offensive skill, but apparently, his defensive game still needs more work, and he needs to add some more muscle to his frame. As for the maturity/attitude thing, that is a huge part of advancing to the next level. If a player doesn't have that down, he's not going to make it in the NHL.

On all of those issues, Morris confirmed all of them, from his view as the head coach, and Kozun admitted all those things in his comments to me, as reported in the story.

I'm still trying to figure out how someone (not you) could claim that I was trying to paint a negative picture of Kozun in this story...if anything, it's the exact opposite.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:07 AM
  #41
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
I have to say this is the longest thread that a Gann article has conceived.

It's sure different from the days of "Gannama!" and "Secret Agent Gann"
Not sure what your point is?

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:11 AM
  #42
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
He may have the offensive skill, but apparently, his defensive game still needs more work, and he needs to add some more muscle to his frame. As for the maturity/attitude thing, that is a huge part of advancing to the next level. If a player doesn't have that down, he's not going to make it in the NHL.

On all of those issues, Morris confirmed all of them, from his view as the head coach, and Kozun admitted all those things in his comments to me, as reported in the story.

I'm still trying to figure out how someone (not you) could claim that I was trying to paint a negative picture of Kozun in this story...if anything, it's the exact opposite.
I didn't see the negative thing either but I like your writing and typically see it as being at the very least informative and more often then not encouraging.

As to the rest I have gone around and around with Morris a few times. I agree with him most of the time but there are times when I don't. He is a nice guy but can be stubborn and that probably serves him well at his job. In the end all I am hoping for in this case is that the kid gets his shot.

The rest doesn't really matter anyways.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:15 AM
  #43
Flour Child
Unleavened User
 
Flour Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Drury Lane
Posts: 22,625
vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
Not sure what your point is?
Either am I

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:15 AM
  #44
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Well, this is where you and I differ in our thinking. You think any winger should be able to play either side, whereas I think they have their strong side and weak side. Therefore, even with LWs Richie and Penner gone next season, that still doesn't create room for RWs Holloway and Toffoli.
I never said that.

I do believe that players should be able to play multiple positions, but playing either wing with no loss in skill/ability isn't a constant for all players. Playing your off wing for example can greatly affect your shot and shooting angle and make it easier to knock you off the puck. Not all players can play their off wing. So no, not all players can play either wing.

Most however can, and odds are that if Holloway (who I never mentioned in this thread at all from what I can recall) and Toffoli make the squad next year, that either they will be able to play the off-wing, or lines can be shuffled somewhat to allow for an easier transition. The same can be said of Kozun. The amount of line juggling that goes on in camp and to start the season is a lot higher than fans think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post

I'm still trying to figure out how someone (not you) could claim that I was trying to paint a negative picture of Kozun in this story...if anything, it's the exact opposite.
I agree. Outside of the "top two lines or bust at the NHL level" comment, I agreed with the article completely, and never found it to be negative at all.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:15 AM
  #45
lumbergh
Registered User
 
lumbergh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 1,670
vCash: 500
Great article, Gann. One of the best I've read from you.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of reading one article after another that pumps the tires of every prospect we have. This is really insightful. I want to learn about the positives and negatives. It gives me a perspective into the development of a hockey player that I otherwise might not know. Thank you.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:58 PM
  #46
HockeyCA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
You need to read the story again. The article did not say that.

Also, you have your opinion about this. My story was based on first-hand accounts, including Kozun's own admission about his attitude. How it is that you're arguing that facts are wrong?
I really do not want to get into a back and forth on this, but I feel like I should at least respond. Let me first cut and paste the text that I think some may find issue with:

"had no one to blame for that but himself... Indeed, Kozunís attitude had gotten in the way of his development, and it has taken him until this season, his third with the Monarchs, to take big steps towards seeing the light."

"In fact, to several of the media covering the Kings, including yours truly, Kozun came off as a bit cocky and perhaps, as Morris noted, arrogant."

"I attributed that to Kozun constantly having to deal with questions about his size, and those saying that he is too small to play at the next level, ever since his youth hockey days. In fact, I believed that he developed that attitude as motivation."

"Thereís that maturity thing popping up again."

It seem's to me that you have let any personal feelings/observations that you have for the player seep into the article. Which if fine, obviously, you are the writer. Any kind of respected writer should not be "cheerleading" our teams players/prospects. They should write objective commentary. My only point, however, is that you seem to have written a piece that is overall, pretty negative. Kozun is not a cancer in the dressing room, and is not any more confident/cocky that any other professional hockey league prospect. It crosses the line, in my view, when you dedicate pretty much an entire write up on a player with its main focus being some sort of fabricated "off-ice" maturity issue that pretty much EVERY prospect deals with. Whether the articles you write have any sort of influence within the Kings organization or not (I am assuming that they don't), I do not think it is "right" to put out a perception of a player that may be characterized by some as fact, one way or the other. That is my only point.

Quick side note. It is strange to me to see a coach really give it to a player like Morris did through the media. Questioning character/attitude is something that should be left to the confines of the dressing room, in my opinion. Rather odd to see him highlight one of his top players supposed former "negative" qualities in such a frank matter of fact fashion. Whether that is done to illustrate personal growth in the player or not, quite odd for the focus not to be what Kozun does on the ice where he is quite effective.

HockeyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:28 PM
  #47
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
 
Puck U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Apple Valley, CA.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
sounds like a good future Trevor Lewis replacement
What's wrong with the Trevor Lewis we got now ? someone break it ? it was barely used. seriously though ... I don't get the comment ? Trevor Lewis should be around for many years, I see him as being groomed as a Jarret Stoll replacement if anything. I think of him as our version of Kirk Maltby or Kris Draper ?

In fact add Clifford to Lewis and Stoll and we have the LA Grind Line (Maltby, Draper & McCarty version)

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:36 PM
  #48
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
What's wrong with the Trevor Lewis we got now ? someone break it ? it was barely used. seriously though ... I don't get the comment ? Trevor Lewis should be around for many years, I see him as being groomed as a Jarret Stoll replacement if anything. I think of him as our version of Kirk Maltby or Kris Draper ?

In fact add Clifford to Lewis and Stoll and we have the LA Grind Line (Maltby, Draper & McCarty version)
I want to keep Lewis on our bottom 6 but Kozun would be our Drapper. Gritty tough and has good hands. TL could center the line and Stoll could center King and Nolan for our grind line. We have so many options that it is amazing to think about. Gotta love our depth. Andy Andy is going to come up and make it easy for us to replace King or maybe even Clifford (though maybe not too).

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:48 AM
  #49
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
I really do not want to get into a back and forth on this, but I feel like I should at least respond. Let me first cut and paste the text that I think some may find issue with:

"had no one to blame for that but himself... Indeed, Kozun’s attitude had gotten in the way of his development, and it has taken him until this season, his third with the Monarchs, to take big steps towards seeing the light."

"In fact, to several of the media covering the Kings, including yours truly, Kozun came off as a bit cocky and perhaps, as Morris noted, arrogant."

"I attributed that to Kozun constantly having to deal with questions about his size, and those saying that he is too small to play at the next level, ever since his youth hockey days. In fact, I believed that he developed that attitude as motivation."

"There’s that maturity thing popping up again."

It seem's to me that you have let any personal feelings/observations that you have for the player seep into the article. Which if fine, obviously, you are the writer. Any kind of respected writer should not be "cheerleading" our teams players/prospects. They should write objective commentary. My only point, however, is that you seem to have written a piece that is overall, pretty negative. Kozun is not a cancer in the dressing room, and is not any more confident/cocky that any other professional hockey league prospect. It crosses the line, in my view, when you dedicate pretty much an entire write up on a player with its main focus being some sort of fabricated "off-ice" maturity issue that pretty much EVERY prospect deals with. Whether the articles you write have any sort of influence within the Kings organization or not (I am assuming that they don't), I do not think it is "right" to put out a perception of a player that may be characterized by some as fact, one way or the other. That is my only point.

Quick side note. It is strange to me to see a coach really give it to a player like Morris did through the media. Questioning character/attitude is something that should be left to the confines of the dressing room, in my opinion. Rather odd to see him highlight one of his top players supposed former "negative" qualities in such a frank matter of fact fashion. Whether that is done to illustrate personal growth in the player or not, quite odd for the focus not to be what Kozun does on the ice where he is quite effective.
It was commentary based on an objective analysis of the facts, as presented to me directly by first-hand sources, head coach Mark Morris and right wing Brandon Kozun. Nowhere did I say that Kozun was a "cancer." You drew your own conclusion about what the story said in that case.

Also, in no way does this story do any sort of cheerleading, as you put it. Again, it is a commentary/analysis piece, to be sure. However, it is all based on facts presented by first-hand sources.

I believe the difference is that you're going on what you've seen, as a fan following the Monarchs. I'm relying on actual, credible sources. You've claimed that parts of what I wrote are "untrue." Considering that I reported what Morris and Kozun told me, are you saying that they were lying?


Last edited by FrozenRoyalty: 04-20-2013 at 12:54 AM.
FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:50 AM
  #50
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
I really do not want to get into a back and forth on this, but I feel like I should at least respond. Let me first cut and paste the text that I think some may find issue with:

"had no one to blame for that but himself... Indeed, Kozunís attitude had gotten in the way of his development, and it has taken him until this season, his third with the Monarchs, to take big steps towards seeing the light."

"In fact, to several of the media covering the Kings, including yours truly, Kozun came off as a bit cocky and perhaps, as Morris noted, arrogant."

"I attributed that to Kozun constantly having to deal with questions about his size, and those saying that he is too small to play at the next level, ever since his youth hockey days. In fact, I believed that he developed that attitude as motivation."

"Thereís that maturity thing popping up again."

It seem's to me that you have let any personal feelings/observations that you have for the player seep into the article. Which if fine, obviously, you are the writer. Any kind of respected writer should not be "cheerleading" our teams players/prospects. They should write objective commentary. My only point, however, is that you seem to have written a piece that is overall, pretty negative. Kozun is not a cancer in the dressing room, and is not any more confident/cocky that any other professional hockey league prospect. It crosses the line, in my view, when you dedicate pretty much an entire write up on a player with its main focus being some sort of fabricated "off-ice" maturity issue that pretty much EVERY prospect deals with. Whether the articles you write have any sort of influence within the Kings organization or not (I am assuming that they don't), I do not think it is "right" to put out a perception of a player that may be characterized by some as fact, one way or the other. That is my only point.

Quick side note. It is strange to me to see a coach really give it to a player like Morris did through the media. Questioning character/attitude is something that should be left to the confines of the dressing room, in my opinion. Rather odd to see him highlight one of his top players supposed former "negative" qualities in such a frank matter of fact fashion. Whether that is done to illustrate personal growth in the player or not, quite odd for the focus not to be what Kozun does on the ice where he is quite effective.
Also, if you're saying the piece painted Kozun in a negative light, overall, either 1) you didn't really read the story or; 2) You didn't read the entire story or; 3) you picked out particular quotes that bothered you and took them out of context.

Otherwise, I don't see how anyone could consider that to be anything but a positive story about Kozun.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.