HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mats Zuccarello

View Poll Results: Re-sign Zucc RIGHT NOW?
YES - AT Least 1 YR 199 89.24%
I am still very unsure, if the season ended today then...YES 17 7.62%
I am still very unsure, if the season ended today then...NO 2 0.90%
Sorry, but No. 5 2.24%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 02:45 AM
toewsintangibles

vCash: 500
Love how Zuccarello drives the net far more than our tough guys like Clowe, Asham.

Also drives the goal more than the huggable giant Brian Boyle

Old
04-19-2013, 03:06 AM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStian View Post
How long before Zucc drops the gloves with someone? I mean, he obviously isn't afraid to engage players several sizes bigger. Just look at the Toronto game, where he called Phanuf "a cute little feline". I'm glad he didn't drop them with Phanuf, but the time might come sooner or later.
Lets hope not!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8IolUG9mu8

Old
04-19-2013, 03:28 AM
KingStian

If he ever were to drop the gloves, I think it would be just about the respect and showing toughness. But how awesome wouldn't it be if he just destroyed someone in a fight?

Old
04-19-2013, 08:01 AM
NYR Viper

He has been getting chances pretty much every game and he looks good on the PP. He has brought pretty much exactly what I thought he would bring. His speed has gotten better since last year as well.

I hope they re-sign him. They need the skill.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I like Zuccarello's skill. I think hes an exciting player in that regard. I just dont think hes a very productive player, especially against non-minor league teams like the Panthers were last night.

.5 PPG, a 40 point pace for a regular season, just isnt enough offensive production to make up for his defensive liabilities. People just want to gloss that over, but he is really, really bad on the defensive side of the pick. You just dont see what happened to him on Florida's goal happen too often in the NHL.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I like Zuccarello's skill. I think hes an exciting player in that regard. I just dont think hes a very productive player, especially against non-minor league teams like the Panthers were last night.

.5 PPG, a 40 point pace for a regular season, just isnt enough offensive production to make up for his defensive liabilities. People just want to gloss that over, but he is really, really bad on the defensive side of the pick. You just dont see what happened to him on Florida's goal happen too often in the NHL.
Who should replace his passing game, nose for going to the crease (he of all players have to teach the rest of the squad that?!) and PP abilities? Boyle? Our problem isn't to prevent goals, it's to score some of our own.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

I think that given a whole TC and another off-season to train, he could go over 40 points in a season. Especially if this team's PP ever became good for an extended period of time. He provides depth scoring and flexibility and he is great in the shootout. Is he a defensive whiz? No. But he doesn't have to be.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Who should replace his passing game, nose for going to the crease (he of all players have to teach the rest of the squad that?!) and PP abilities? Boyle? Our problem isn't to prevent goals, it's to score some of our own.
Thats a different discussion.

Hes the best option in a series of mediocre options.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post
Zuke strong in front of the net again. You must be ecstatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post
Too busy scoring from right in front...
Florida certainly does have a defense worthy of the KHL. BTW, they're last in the NHL in goals against by a pretty far margin.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 04-19-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old
04-19-2013, 08:31 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
SBOB - Bow to the Hobbit... maybe it was vs a meek Florida squad 2night but since you called him out - 3 goals in 2 games. Cuz we have heard plenty of hate from you here regarding Frodo throughout years of criticism.

I would love to see the "plenty of hate" I've had for him. Concerns, doubts and skepticism, absolutely. Hate? No. I save the "hate" for players who are heartless (Poti, Pyatt, Kaminsky).

I've said that he has skill. I have also said I have concerns about him holding up over the grind of the a full season (and he still hasn't shown if he can or not).

Look, the kid is very likeable and very easy to root for. I just wish he was as big as his legend. I'm still waiting for him to be the purported spark plug for the power play that many hear have made him out to be. I would few things more than for him to prove me wrong as I would rather see the Rangers win than be "right."

Old
04-19-2013, 08:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
He's pretty much another Hagelin, except he can finish. keep this guy.
I don't see a comparison with Hagelin. Zuccarello is more skilled. Hagelin is a more complete player.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:33 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
yep,and without those 3 game winners this team would be on the outside looking in with the Devils

Nice try though
Zucc is also a reason the are still in there. Without his game deciding shootout goal, The Rangers would also be on the outside looking in,no?

But I'm agree with you, I don't want him in New York either. I want him to play world cup for Norway, and then sign for another NHL team. But he really want to be there with his buddies McDonaugh,Stepan and Lundy.

Last edited by fredrikstad: 04-19-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old
04-19-2013, 08:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
A Poster was making an issue of some of us saying Zooks is a around a .5ppg player. Well irony alert time.

Zooks-10 games-5 points-2013 season
Zooks-62 games-31 points-NHL Career
It's still too small a sample size. You're talking about less than one full season.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Hope we make the playoffs and he makes an impact.
I think we all hope that.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't see a comparison with Hagelin. Zuccarello is more skilled. Hagelin is a more complete player.
Because they're small?

But honestly, I think Zuccarello and Hagelin are two of the more different players on the roster.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Man...

What difference 2 goals make...

Old
04-19-2013, 08:55 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
I was against bringing Zucc in.

I don't think he's been a liability defensively. I also have no problem with his .5 PPG pace. He brings in some creativity which this team lacks (outside of him, Brassard and Stepan). His shootout skills are good. If he can spark the PP and be a 2nd/3rd line tweener, I'd give him a new contract, if the conditions are right.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:56 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Lets say Zuccarello is really a .5 PPG player in the NHL? So what?

Besides offensive ability that doesnt translate to stellar - or even good - production, the rest of his game is severely lacking by NHL standards.
Shootout? Puck possession?

He has other skills. Just not on the defensive side of the puck. I also think it is a bit of a stretch to assume he will not improve with more time and experience in the NHL. It's not like he is getting a ton of minutes either.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Shootout? Puck possession?

He has other skills. Just not on the defensive side of the puck. I also think it is a bit of a stretch to assume he will not improve with more time and experience in the NHL. It's not like he is getting a ton of minutes either.
I think his career can mirror that of PA Parenteau. A guy capable of putting up big numbers (60 points, perhaps) on terrible teams.

Just my opinion, but I dont think he'll ever be a complete enough player to be a focal point on a truly contending NHL team.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:00 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Man...

What difference 2 goals make...
Obviously it can only help people's views on him.

Personally he changed my opinion even without scoring. He's been playing with an edge, doing some dirty work, hitting, and forechecking pretty well. That was enough for me. Much better in these aspects from his last time here.

If he keeps that up his scoring is a bonus. Love how he's been playing. If he can keep this up through this last stretch and into the bonus there's no doubt he'll be back next year.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:06 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Lets say Zuccarello is really a .5 PPG player in the NHL? So what?

Besides offensive ability that doesnt translate to stellar - or even good - production, the rest of his game is severely lacking by NHL standards.
Quote:
I think his career can mirror that of PA Parenteau. A guy capable of putting up big numbers (60 points, perhaps) on terrible teams.

Just my opinion, but I dont think he'll ever be a complete enough player to be a focal point on a truly contending NHL team.
I can agree with that. However, I would not mind PA on the Rangers 2nd/3rd line as a depth scorer. That is what separates the good offensive teams from the bad ones. When Nash and Stepan are not scoring, you have to have guys who can step up and score 50-60 points. I think MZA can do that. On top of his other skills like the shootout and puck possession.

He can also play both wings which is important for a coach.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:23 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
Ha ha, I remember that one. Grenwho is 6`3" and 225 lbs has actually 18 games with The Rangers in 02-04.
Would have killed Zuccarello if he wanted to.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I can agree with that. However, I would not mind PA on the Rangers 2nd/3rd line as a depth scorer. That is what separates the good offensive teams from the bad ones. When Nash and Stepan are not scoring, you have to have guys who can step up and score 50-60 points. I think MZA can do that. On top of his other skills like the shootout and puck possession.

He can also play both wings which is important for a coach.
Yea, but you have to be careful. Not giving up goals is just as important as scoring goals.

Im just not sure if Zuccarello's reward is worth the risk of giving him bigger ES minutes.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yea, but you have to be careful. Not giving up goals is just as important as scoring goals.

Im just not sure if Zuccarello's reward is worth the risk of giving him bigger ES minutes.
As a wing, he is average. Michal Ryder is not good defensively either, he has been a valuable player for multiple teams. There are countless other examples as well. IMO, if you have defensively responsible centers, the wings should be able to provide more offense.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
As a wing, he is average. Michal Ryder is not good defensively either, he has been a valuable player for multiple teams. There are countless other examples as well. IMO, if you have defensively responsible centers, the wings should be able to provide more offense.
Hes not average. You're just lying to yourself if you think that.

What Huburdeau did to him last night does not happen to average defensive players.

Closed Thread