HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Old
04-18-2013, 12:26 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Well look at that. The team that finished last year is in the playoffs. Holy **** this organization is a joke.

Good thing we got the guy of Columbus on this team now.
Didn't that "guy" put the majority of that team on the ice? Including Vezina candidate Sergei Bobrovsky?

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 04-18-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: qdp
GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
MacT wants to make a bold move or a big splash and 29 other GM's are going to make it as difficult for him as possible. I doubt he gets any first time trader discounts.

Hopefully he is shrewd enough to make some positive changes to the lineup without trading away the obvious assets.
With the cap going down MacT is going to have to look for some effective players who other teams might want to shed simply because of their slightly expensive contracts.

Taking on big contracts might not seem like a good idea but Howson said it best yesterday (although he was talking about UFA's) when he said that the Oilers might have to pony up some extra money to coax certain players here.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:54 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Didn't that "guy" put the majority of that team on the ice? Including Vezina candidate Sergei Bobrovsky?
True, I just find it odd that when he left they went from 30th to a playoff team. That is quite the turn around especially considering thy we're last place last year as well.

It stuns me that this team is going to finish bottom 5 again

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 04-18-2013 at 01:06 AM.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
True, I just find it odd that when he left they went from 30th to a playoff team. That is quite the turn around especially considering thy we're last place last year as well.

Like the Habs last summer the Jackets wanted a wholesale change in management and Howson was doomed from the moment John Davidson came in. He wanted to bring in his own GM. Howson was dealt multiple bad cards in Columbus. I don't think that he was quite as bad as his track record would suggest. There's not much you can do when you make a big splash (Jeff Carter) and the dick decides that he's going to sulk and dog his way through games.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:00 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

It's been a whole bunch of things coming together. Most of which is thanks to Howson

04-18-2013, 01:01 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Like the Habs last summer the Jackets wanted a wholesale change in management and Howson was doomed from the moment John Davidson came in. He wanted to bring in his own GM. Howson was dealt multiple bad cards in Columbus. I don't think that he was quite as bad as his track record would suggest. There's not much you can do when you make a big splash (Jeff Carter) and the dick decides that he's going to sulk and dog his way through games.
Yup. The team just bottomed out. The only questionable things I can think of him doing were keeping Mason around for so long and signing Wiesnewski.

Even the Nash trade doesn't look so bad.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:07 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I know people are frustrated, but lets not go overboard please. Calling someone a cancer is over the line. Consider this your only warning.

04-18-2013, 01:10 AM
Panda Bear

I doubt Howson wanted to bring in Wisniewski and trade for Jeff Carter. All signs were pointing towards a rebuild, but ownership wanted to make money in the playoffs so he kept missing out on premium talents in the draft.

He did a good job considering his obstacles. The only real fault that I would put on Howson is sticking with Mason for so long as goaltending was the only thing preventing that team from being a contender for the playoffs. Even then I don't blame him for hoping that Mason would get over his sports anxiety issues.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:15 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
I doubt Howson wanted to bring in Wisniewski and trade for Jeff Carter. All signs were pointing towards a rebuild, but ownership wanted to make money in the playoffs so he kept missing out on premium talents in the draft.

He did a good job considering his obstacles. The only real fault that I would put on Howson is sticking with Mason for so long as goaltending was the only thing preventing that team from being a contender for the playoffs. Even then I don't blame him for hoping that Mason would get over his sports anxiety issues.
Considering his rookie season I would have had a hard time looking past Mason as well. He was absolutely outstanding in his first NHL season.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:17 AM
Qrispy

Is there any proof that it was CBJ ownership who wanted Carter and Wisniewski? Seems like people are just wanting to make excuses for him. There was also the whole Nash debacle.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Considering his rookie season I would have had a hard time looking past Mason as well. He was absolutely outstanding in his first NHL season.
For sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Is there any proof that it was CBJ ownership who wanted Carter and Wisniewski? Seems like people are just wanting to make excuses for him. There was also the whole Nash debacle.
If your ownership doesn't want to rebuild, then they want to win. I won't be finding an articles for you, but the previous ownership wanted as much short-term success as possible to reinvigorate poor attendance/fan support in the area.

If they wanted the rebuild, they would not have allowed Wisniewski's contract nor the Carter trade where they gave up younger, cheaper assets.

They had made the playoffs in 08-09 then started bottoming out. Wisniewski came on board along with Carter in 11-12.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:05 AM
shiva

Despite my misgivings with all of this, I'm still willing to give the new "team" a chance, especially if they are allowed to do so without interference or having to get a blessing from Uncle Kevin.

My only major concern with MacT is that he allows his personal judgement to override what is best for the team, and has a known history of burying or getting rid of useful players, while certain players become favorites and become privileged and are not held accountable when they should be.

There's a very deep sickness within this team and organization, we all see it, and I hope that now MacT is the man in charge, that he will put aside friendships and the old boys on the bus routine, and make the changes that are needed, and have been needed for years.

I think the Minnie game really showed how clearly the problem is with certain vet players, the complete and total lack of effort. This has been going on for years now, there has been several episodes per year where this team has embarrassed themselves with their lack of effort and commitment. To poop the bed this badly with this performance when they were in contention for a playoff spot is inexcusable, and this falls squarely on the vets in the lineup.

This team will never get better until this issue is addressed, and fixed.

As for Howson, I'm actually pretty happy. The one thing he is known for being very good at is pro scouting and acquiring decent players to fill certain needs. The Nash deal LOOKED bad, but considering how much his hands were tied, CBJ did very well, considering those players the jackets got have played a huge part in getting them into the playoff picture, while NYR has fallen down and may miss the playoffs completely. Our pro-scouting is horrendous, but at the very least, the team should be a lot better if Howson just does the picking.

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:12 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
There is rarely proof of anything in today's NHL. The speculation from CBJ was that Howson needed to make the playoffs at all costs. It was unfortunate as the UFA market wasn't the greatest.

Was there ever proof to what exactly the issue was when Smyth left Edmonton?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:42 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I was watching the Bruins-Sabres game last night, paying specific attention to the compete level of an elite team in Boston, and we are so far from that it isn't even funny. MacT has a lot of work to do if we want to get into that echelon of teams anytime soon.

Julien has a great system in Boston as well.

Didn't we basically trade Julien to the Canadiens back in the day?

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:54 AM
fysloc

Watching some other games when flipping through channels, and the biggest thing I notice is that EVERY TEAM gets their shots and good goals from the high slot, and they get that chance alot. Edmonton never seems to get shots from the high slot that is open. Its always blue line, or down low and trying to force your way into the slot only to turn it over. I think this is a failure in tactics.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
I will be especially interested to see how MacT handles players like Whitney, Khabby, Hemsky, and Gagner.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Kranix

Proud and indignant, Lowe said "it’s safe to say that half the general managers in the National Hockey League would trade their roster for our roster right now." With that he admitted, or at least implied that the Oilers tanked on purpose all these years, and that they should be commended for being transparently horrible. I always thought that Tambellini was proud of the job they were doing, as if he believed it takes a shrewd management team to finish dead last and pick 1st three years in a row. Each time he stepped up to that podium to pick 1st overall, he acted like it was a hard road traveled, and a huge accomplishment. I knew Lowe was the real problem though, and it has become much more public this week. He's very happy with the roster. So happy, he fired the GM.
I don't think the 23 or so teams above the Oilers, fighting for a Playoff berth would swap rosters with them.
Everyone knows Lowe is the real GM, and he adapts his strategy by changing his subordinate, bringing in a different temperament.
I admit, they were hampered by the Pronger debacle, but Lowe doesn't strike me as a man who can build a winner. He puts foot in mouth a lot too. Too bad for Edmonton.

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:30 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I feel awful for you guys. Its like your team is being held hostage by some inbred cabal.
I would like to see someone make an avatar with either the 3 stooges, the 3 musketeers or the 3 amigos and put their faces on them.

In all seriousness though, i'm kind of warming up to Howson being in the organization again, his former team is doing quite well now, although I wonder how he feels about last years' draft, if he has any bad feelings about what happened or not, or if they even talk about that at all, it would be interesting to hear that conversation.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 04-19-2013 at 04:04 AM.
TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:17 AM
joestevens29

What is this about hiring an associate coach? Somehow Ruff's name came up, but I caught the end of the convo on gregors show.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:10 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
I will be especially interested to see how MacT handles players like Whitney, Khabby, Hemsky, and Gagner.
whitney and habby are gone
Hemsky is on the block and Gagner may price himself off of the oilers

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I don't buy this at all. Part of the due dilligence required in recruiting a player is properly assessing that players want to be part of an org. Not for a moment can anybody convince that Carter had any interest in being a blue jacket. So why specifically acquire that player after spending years doing nothing to supplement Rich Nash with appropriate support?

Howson is like Tambo bad in this regard. Fiddled for years and wasted the career of one of the better players in the game and a guy that could've been part of a special, and dominant team.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Yup. The team just bottomed out. The only questionable things I can think of him doing were keeping Mason around for so long and signing Wiesnewski.

Even the Nash trade doesn't look so bad.
From the standpoint that the best player in a trade tells who won the trade the move is an unmitigated disaster. Luckily Gaborik was added later as a marquee player in a market that could use some.

The subtraction of Rick Nash from a non hockey market is plain silly looking at it either on or off the ice.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:35 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I don't buy this at all. Part of the due dilligence required in recruiting a player is properly assessing that players want to be part of an org. Not for a moment can anybody convince that Carter had any interest in being a blue jacket. So why specifically acquire that player after spending years doing nothing to supplement Rich Nash with appropriate support?

Howson is like Tambo bad in this regard. Fiddled for years and wasted the career of one of the better players in the game and a guy that could've been part of a special, and dominant team.
Well how are you suppose to know if a guy wants to play for you? You aren't allowed to talk to him until he is yours.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well how are you suppose to know if a guy wants to play for you? You aren't allowed to talk to him until he is yours.
An astute manager is going to find a way to discern that information either from the GM in question, other GM's, or other players any of whom CAN talk to their NHL brethren.

I can't imagine there isn't regular dialogue going back and forth between all players on what its like playing somewhere and "hey, hop on this train". Yep, we know it does happen and regularly and isn't considered tampering. Not asking around and not beating the carpet for clues is naive, plain lazy, and yields awful results.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:46 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
I'm sure it's tricky sometimes, but there are ways to get a read on a player's personality by talking to people who knew/played with/hired the guy.
The Carter thing seems like one of those situations he should have picked up on. The timing of the deal alone put the whole situation off to a bad start.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote