HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2013 Regular Season

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 09:30 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
And Rollins proves my point again. Instead of taking pitches and trying to work the count, he swings away at balls in the dirt. But he's got to be the big hero, doesn't he? I'm sick of his act.
1st and 3rd with no outs and the fastest runner on the team on 3rd. How about a safety squeeze?

How about bunting for a base hit every once in a while from the .230 hitting Rollins or .200 hitting Revere?

Old
04-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
1st and 3rd with no outs and the fastest runner on the team on 3rd. How about a safety squeeze?

How about bunting for a base hit every once in a while from the .230 hitting Rollins or .200 hitting Revere?
Or they could...wait for it....draw a ****ing walk

Old
04-19-2013, 10:25 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Or they could...wait for it....draw a ****ing walk
Rollins would have to learn how to take a pitch before he can draw a walk.

How about the manager give the hitter a red light every now and again on the first pitch?

Old
04-19-2013, 01:39 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
So how much could we get for Utley?

^This sentence makes me sad.
Putting my bias aside, you're likely not going to get much for him. He's got an injury history as well as on the last year of his contract. Last year, the Rangers weren't willing to trade their second best prospect for Cole Hamels. I just don't think it's worth it to trade Chase. If you want to make a trade you're better off trading... sigh... Lee, under contract for longer, healthy ace pitcher with playoff experience. Hell, maybe Rollins might fetch something decent.

They aren't going to do anything until Ruiz and D. Young come up though. That will be their excuse til at least the end of April. If they are not in it by June, that's when things will start to get ugly.

I don't want to trade these guys though. I really don't want to have to watch them break this team apart for some spare parts. Please just let them get better, ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post

Lol, Charlie has called a squeeze, what, twice in his whole managing career? It's what I meant about Charlie not being creative in game day situations.

Revere does try to bunt, he just never gets on. Rollins is too busy trying to hit homers.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
They'll have to remove someone from the 40 man roster if they're going to add Morgan. I'm not sure who that would be. It might just make more sense to call up Pettibone or Ethan Martin if it's just going to be two or three starts, since they're already on the 40 man.
I figured at some point this year Morgan would get a look as he's one of their top prospects and looks like he's getting really close. Pettibone has really struggled so not sure if they will go that route and Martin as far as I know is on the mound tonight for LV.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:03 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Putting my bias aside, you're likely not going to get much for him. He's got an injury history as well as on the last year of his contract. Last year, the Rangers weren't willing to trade their second best prospect for Cole Hamels. I just don't think it's worth it to trade Chase. If you want to make a trade you're better off trading... sigh... Lee, under contract for longer, healthy ace pitcher with playoff experience. Hell, maybe Rollins might fetch something decent.

They aren't going to do anything until Ruiz and D. Young come up though. That will be their excuse til at least the end of April. If they are not in it by June, that's when things will start to get ugly.
They got a pretty solid return for Victorino last year, and he was in the middle of his worst season and on an expiring contract. If Utley is healthy and producing like he has so far, they could get something for him. Although, I might rather just keep him.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:29 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
They got a pretty solid return for Victorino last year, and he was in the middle of his worst season and on an expiring contract. If Utley is healthy and producing like he has so far, they could get something for him. Although, I might rather just keep him.
They'll get something, but I don't think anything near what Chase Utley is worth to the Phillies. I'm thinking maybe medium level prospect. I just don't think it's worth it if Utley can make a comeback and be anywhere close to what he was before.

And how amazing. Look what happens after one walk. Thank you, Chase.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:14 PM
RussianRocket10

Wooooo a win!

Old
04-19-2013, 10:26 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
And how amazing. Look what happens after one walk. Thank you, Chase.
I like how the broadcast crew tried to make it sound like it was some sort of magic. Like "crazy things just happen when you give up a 2 out walk!"

Old
04-20-2013, 07:45 PM
RussianRocket10

We finally have a hit! Only took until the 5th inning.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:29 PM
jml87

How can a pitcher this bad still be put in the game in these situations. This is a joke. And Revere grounding into a double play with the bases loaded. Enough of this. This team needs a change in the biggest way. Fire Manuel.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
How can a pitcher this bad still be put in the game in these situations. This is a joke. And Revere grounding into a double play with the bases loaded. Enough of this. This team needs a change in the biggest way. Fire Manuel.
As much as I don't care for what Chuck has been doing behind that screen he sits at, firing him won't change the fact that guys who are woefully underperforming (Horst, Durbin, Revere, etc.) still occupy roster spots on this team. Firing Chuck might change things up a bit for a while, but eventually whoever is managing the team - presumably Sandberg - will have to use these guys.

Tonight Bastardo didn't get it done. Horst stinks, Valdes stinks, Aumont has been unreliable lately, and you weren't going to see Adams/Papelbon there. I don't get on Charlie a whole lot for BP decisions prior to the 8th with the dreck he has. It's a crapshoot.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:18 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Clutch hitting is clutch.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Kratz definitely came through there. Nice to see. This man who was a career backup catcher (and has been playing like for the better part of the season thus far) now has 2x as many HRs as Howard. Big Piece needs to find a power surge.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:31 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
As much as I don't care for what Chuck has been doing behind that screen he sits at, firing him won't change the fact that guys who are woefully underperforming (Horst, Durbin, Revere, etc.) still occupy roster spots on this team. Firing Chuck might change things up a bit for a while, but eventually whoever is managing the team - presumably Sandberg - will have to use these guys.

Tonight Bastardo didn't get it done. Horst stinks, Valdes stinks, Aumont has been unreliable lately, and you weren't going to see Adams/Papelbon there. I don't get on Charlie a whole lot for BP decisions prior to the 8th with the dreck he has. It's a crapshoot.
Bastardo was doing fine. An error and a walk to a great hitter was not on him. The team just looked lost out there for the majority of the game.

And then they score 4 runs. Whatever, I just want them to win.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Bastardo was doing fine. An error and a walk to a great hitter was not on him.
I wouldn't say he was doing fine, maybe average. You can't blame him for the error, but you can the walk. Especially after getting ahead of Beltran 0-2. Giving a free pass after burying a hitter in the count is one of the worst things a reliever can do. And yes, it was Beltran, but still you can't let him walk there.

Chances are though, Durbin still comes in after Beltran even if Tony got him. He probably still gives up the hit that scores the go-ahead run, but who's to say? Maybe he pitches around Craig a bit with 1st open, and then still walks Molina and then ends the inning by striking Matt Adams out with the bases loaded.

But, all of this is academic, as they say. Happy they won.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:53 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Nix's pinch hit at bat can't go without praise. That was a great at bat, taking 10 pitches, and capitalizing with a hit.

04-22-2013, 11:59 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Pettibone to make his ML Debut tonight. Anyone else excited?

Old
04-22-2013, 12:32 PM
zarley zelepukin

I'm looking forward to it but not expecting too much. He was off to a rough start with the Pigs so far, and he's the kind of guy that needs his control to be really sharp to be successful.

I've seen him on TV a few times- this year in spring training and last year a couple Iron Pigs starts- and I've yet to see him when he's on his game. I hope tonight's the night.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Nix's pinch hit at bat can't go without praise. That was a great at bat, taking 10 pitches, and capitalizing with a hit.
def, i was hard on him early this year but he's come up with some big pinch hits. i really think he's found a nice home coming off the bench but i wouldn't start him too much, as he does have his deficiencies, only enough to keep him sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Pettibone to make his ML Debut tonight. Anyone else excited?
i'm pretty excited but he hasn't been doing very well to start the season in triple A so i'm not expecting much. hopefully with Lannan's extended trip to the dl Pettibone will have enough time to work through his issue with dubee and we can get a glimpse of what the future has in store for him.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
def, i was hard on him early this year but he's come up with some big pinch hits. i really think he's found a nice home coming off the bench but i wouldn't start him too much, as he does have his deficiencies, only enough to keep him sharp.
I agree. Nix as a bench guy/spot outfield or first base start is pretty good. He's not a starter, but in the role he is in, you aren't going to get too much better (especially against righties).

Old
04-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
If I caught the summary in MLB Gameday correctly, it seems Pettibone got on base via walk. Now he's in scoring position.

Interesting how that works.

04-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
And he scores.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:02 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If I caught the summary in MLB Gameday correctly, it seems Pettibone got on base via walk. Now he's in scoring position.

Interesting how that works.
Who cares about walks? They are overrated, all we need is production.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:04 PM
FLYguy3911

More walks than Erik Kratz this season.

Closed Thread