HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I wonder though if we end up getting Seth Jones if that will pretty much mean that Petry will be done as an Oiler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Doubtful. There are a few guys that are done before Petry is.
Agreed JS29, however I would think that Petry would HAVE to be included in any deal for Weber, imo.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Bobblehead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So am I the only one who wants to move Hartikainen as part of a package for a more established player?

I love Harti's big body and strength, I don't love his not doing much else. Doesn't throw that many hits, doesn't play overly gritty and lacks speed.

If you can move him now, while be may have some interest because of his size and strength, then return a player who will contribute more, you're ahead.

I'd move him in the right deal. To me, either Hartsi or PRV is gone. We can't have Hall, PRV, Hartsi and Smyth (assuming Jones is gone) patrolling LW again. We need to bring in different attitudes and some bite. To me the big bodies of PRV and Hartsi are good, but just being big isn't enough. You have to make the other team take that second look over their shoulder or pay the price to win the battle. They might be good on the cycle, fast and big, but hey don't intimidate anyone. Depdning on who get traded (Gagner, Hemsky, PRV) and what the return is (vet center, wingers, D) I would move Hartikainen if it makes/breaks a deal.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:52 AM
OilerFan4Life

Petry is a cornerstone #3 d-man for this team moving forward.

He's still only 25 and getting better each and every game.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:52 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Agreed JS29, however I would think that Petry would HAVE to be included in any deal for Weber, imo.
Well of course, if that was to happen. But I don't think simply drafting Jones means we trade a d-man.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:13 AM
popo

I wouldn't want to move the big four. But I wonder if they'd be willing to party with a package of Paajarvi and Petry?
Dealing Petry you are really digging yourself a hole on a weak blueline, but I have to imagine a lot of teams would ask about him.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:28 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
I wouldn't want to move the big four. But I wonder if they'd be willing to party with a package of Paajarvi and Petry?
Dealing Petry you are really digging yourself a hole on a weak blueline, but I have to imagine a lot of teams would ask about him.
Moving Petry is like moving Gagner. If you do you better hope there is a plan to bring in someone to replace them.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:29 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Eberle for Lucic is an overpay for us, I feel.

I don't think an offer of Lucic for Eberle is going to blow MacT away, either.

I'd do our first rounder and Paajarvi though.. and the way we're playing, our first rounder will be a high pick.

But Boston wouldn't do that either. Good thing I'm not a GM.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:29 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Despite Eberle having an off year, he's at around .67PPG and last year was around 1ppg Just breaking into the league. Lucic has topped out and could very well be regressing, while Eberle has yet to show what his peak is.

Hitting and running goalies is nice and all, but it's not enough to make me wanna risk a just-getting-started Eberle for a possibly falling Lucic this summer.

Huge risk especially if Boston is benching the guy.

Paajarvi + 1st? Sure why not. If he's still playing poorly after he gets benched, then Boston won't really want to keep him.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:30 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
Yep I'm sure Boston would love to deal Lucic for Paajarvi and Petry. Could we toss Omark in there and they maybe add a 4th in 2015?

Old
04-19-2013, 09:51 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog82 View Post
Bruins fan coming in peace. Over on the Bruins board, a lot of folks are suggesting the Bruins trade Lucic for Eberle.

What would you Oil fans be willing to part with?
If the Bruins are looking to trade Lucic, they almost certainly won't get an Eberle level talent back. Benn, Kane, etc. teams almost never move those guys. If Eberle was the asking price, then I would have no problem with MacT hanging up the phone.

I would be willing to go as high as Hemsky + Hartikainen + 1st 2014 + 2nd 2015 for Lucic. Given his play this year, his contract is a bit of a risk, and with the cap dropping Boston's options for trade might be limited. Especially if the rumours that Lucic wants to raise his kid closer to his parents is true.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Yep I'm sure Boston would love to deal Lucic for Paajarvi and Petry. Could we toss Omark in there and they maybe add a 4th in 2015?
Actually, you might be surprised at what Boston does here. I wouldn't be surprised if they took that deal at all. It depends on their current thoughts around Milan and what they're planning in the future.
Don't forget, Lucic's salary jumps 2m next season and they now be thinking he may not be worth it given the current team makeup. That, coupled with Sequin needing more playing time and his own salary jumping 2.2m for next season.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:56 AM
popo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
I don't think Boston will deal him (not with Neely in management there). Nor do I think that 95% of Bruins will find any trade suggestion plausible because they love Lucic, rightfully so.
I was just looking at an Oilers perspective, on a scenario not including the big four- would we be willing to part with that for him? I didn't think the offer was that bad, mainly because I put a premium on top four defenseman. I think Petry walks onto their team as their second best blueliner. However not sure there is a need there with Hamilton emerging, and a stable supporting cast (Seidenberg, Boychuck, McQuiad).

Old
04-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I think if MacT is picking 1-3 he might trade to move down. Pick up a strong asset in the process. If the Oilers feel Klefbom is the better asset as our top D in the system, and Marincin is at or above Jones. I dont think we will have an interest in Nate; Barkov , Monahan i think is what we want. If you can grab a decent blue chip PLUS the player you wanted to begin with (a middle 6 large framed centre --which we do NOT have anywhere in the system) by just flipping the pick you got for sucking the last 6 games than i am ok with it. The prospect would have to be special though in addition to the flipped pick.
Like if Ottawa had 8th and gave up Stone to go to #3 I would do it. ESPECIALLY if Jones and Nate go 1-2 and leave Barkov and Monahan still unpicked and us sitting within 5 picks.

I know OTT is not going to be at 8th.
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!?!?!?!?!!?!!??!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm reading some pretty funny tweets by Jets fans regarding the Oilers discussing possible trades for Bogosian/Wheeler (not sure why those players are the crux of the discussion) and they all say the say thing. "If one of RNH, Hall and Eberle aren't in the discussion then it's a non-starter."

Winning a few games and being within striking distance of a playoff spot sure gives fans fat heads.
Um...they have a right to feel that way, bogosian is a top pairing stud, bordering on true #1D, i'd easily give eberle for him, i'd add to eberle.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Despite Eberle having an off year, he's at around .67PPG and last year was around 1ppg Just breaking into the league. Lucic has topped out and could very well be regressing, while Eberle has yet to show what his peak is.

Hitting and running goalies is nice and all, but it's not enough to make me wanna risk a just-getting-started Eberle for a possibly falling Lucic this summer.

Huge risk especially if Boston is benching the guy.

Paajarvi + 1st? Sure why not. If he's still playing poorly after he gets benched, then Boston won't really want to keep him.
I can think of about 6 million reasons why not even at that price.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Alright, time to put together some wishes/dreams for what I'd like to happen next season...So here goes..

Use amnesty buyouts on Shawn Horcoff and Ryan Smyth.
Let Jones, Whitney and Peckham walk.
Trade Nick Schultz for a pick/minor roster player.
Can't do much with Belanger...meh.
Sign Petrell for 900k.
Sign Smithson for 1m.
Sign Fistric for 1.7m.
Draft (top 5) Barkov.
Trade Hemsky, Hartikainen, 2014 1st and 2013 2nd for Lucic. Harti brings youth/strength..
Trade Gagner and Lander for Yandle.
Sign Weiss as an UFA for 4m.(currently makes 3.1m)
Sign Bickell as an UFA for 1.7. (currently makes 500k)

New roster for 2013 with between 1 and 2m in cap space remaining:

Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov
Lucic-Weiss-Eberle
Bickell-Barkov-MPS
Petrell-Smithson-Brown
Belanger (switch with Barkov/Smithson)

Yandle-Schultz
Petry-Smid
Fistric-Klefbom
Potter

Dubnyk
?? someone around $2m

Old
04-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Koto

lol buyout horcoff, insert rookie, play more of belanger/smithson

thats hilarious

Old
04-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
lol buyout horcoff, insert rookie, play more of belanger/smithson

thats hilarious
So you want to retain 5.5m as a 3rd line c? Where are you going to get the money to pay for Hall/Eberle raises, plus add some pieces? I think the bottom six isn't where you spend the largest dollars...What is Horcoff's 5.5m faceoff percentage this year?

Old
04-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Petry is a cornerstone #3 d-man for this team moving forward.

He's still only 25 and getting better each and every game.
No....no he is not. What the heck have you been watching this year? He has regressed and looks terrible half the time. He is very very inconsistent.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
So you want to retain 5.5m as a 3rd line c? Where are you going to get the money to pay for Hall/Eberle raises, plus add some pieces? I think the bottom six isn't where you spend the largest dollars...What is Horcoff's 5.5m faceoff percentage this year?
Don't even try to reason with this forum about Horcoff Oilfan2. It's a lost cause. Also there is no chance he will be bought out. The Oilers would rather shed themselves of two possibly useful players than get rid of the golden calf.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:40 AM
shogun99

I think when the Bruins trade Lucic it will be for way less then what we all predict on here. I don't think he'll be worth his contract.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:48 AM
dyzfunctioned

Can't believe how many posts advise/support doing any of the following:

1) Buying out Horcoff and basically assuming Lander can fill his role
2) Buying out Nick Schultz when this team is already about 2 NHL-caliber d-men short of a full roster
3) Trading Gagner ++ or whatever other package for Keith Yandle, who BTW is not only extremely soft, but is by no means a #1 d-man. He receives nearly 60% O-zone starts and has a negative zone start differential, as well as being last amongst PHX d-men in CorsiRelQOC. I'm all on board with bringing him in as a #3 d-man but at the cost of Gagner + Paajarvi or whatever else people are offering, hell no.
4) Shelling out huge money/term for players that "need a change of scenery" like Clarkson, Horton, etc.
5) And building upon 4), assuming high-demand UFA's will come to EDM for affordable contracts.

/end rant

Old
04-19-2013, 10:52 AM
oilers89

do you guys think if we draft high enough to grab Seth Jones then package Petry ( i do like him) gagner, and paajarvi ( or harski) for Berglund and Shattenkirk. We get big #2 center and a NUmber 1/2 defensemen. Blues get smaller 2nd line center and good cheaper d to fill in for shattenkirk.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Don't even try to reason with this forum about Horcoff Oilfan2. It's a lost cause. Also there is no chance he will be bought out. The Oilers would rather shed themselves of two possibly useful players than get rid of the golden calf.

Hey, i can be sold on buying out horcoff, but you better have a good replacement, which i don't think will be easy, and when you go suggesting a rookie, belanger and smithson will be the answer then its laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Can't believe how many posts advise/support doing any of the following:

1) Buying out Horcoff and basically assuming Lander can fill his role
2) Buying out Nick Schultz when this team is already about 2 NHL-caliber d-men short of a full roster
3) Trading Gagner ++ or whatever other package for Keith Yandle, who BTW is not only extremely soft, but is by no means a #1 d-man. He receives nearly 60% O-zone starts and has a negative zone start differential, as well as being last amongst PHX d-men in CorsiRelQOC. I'm all on board with bringing him in as a #3 d-man but at the cost of Gagner + Paajarvi or whatever else people are offering, hell no.
4) Shelling out huge money/term for players that "need a change of scenery" like Clarkson, Horton, etc.
5) And building upon 4), assuming high-demand UFA's will come to EDM for affordable contracts.

/end rant
Love every single point in this post.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Lacaar

Lucic seems to approaching that point where he's not worth the cash to Boston and they may consider trading him.

The risk is does he wake up when he gets to his new team.

Historically speaking Edmonton has an awful time motivating these types of players and usually their run out of town. I don't like our odds with Lucic and I'd hate to lose any of the top 4 or this draft pick to piss it down the crapper on a player we can't motivate.

Guess that's the risk with Lucic.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers89 View Post
do you guys think if we draft high enough to grab Seth Jones then package Petry ( i do like him) gagner, and paajarvi ( or harski) for Berglund and Shattenkirk. We get big #2 center and a NUmber 1/2 defensemen. Blues get smaller 2nd line center and good cheaper d to fill in for shattenkirk.
no, as far as the blues are concerned theyre getting two downgrades for an inconsistent prospect.

Closed Thread