HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mats Zuccarello

View Poll Results: Re-sign Zucc RIGHT NOW?
YES - AT Least 1 YR 199 89.24%
I am still very unsure, if the season ended today then...YES 17 7.62%
I am still very unsure, if the season ended today then...NO 2 0.90%
Sorry, but No. 5 2.24%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2013, 10:38 AM
  #451
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,927
vCash: 500
I'm struck by how improved his skating is, and in the back of my mind, I have the knowledge that MSL broke out offensively at age 27.

With this offensively deprived team, and the lack of solid free agents, I think its a no-brainer to offer him a new contract.

Buy out Richards this offseason. Brassard and Stepan can be our top two centers. Spend the money on Jagr for one season, and go hard after Malkin next offseason.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:38 AM
  #452
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hes not average. You're just lying to yourself if you think that.

What Huburdeau did to him last night does not happen to average defensive players.
It happened to Chris Pronger by Nigel Dawes. I disagree.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:41 AM
  #453
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hes not average. You're just lying to yourself if you think that.

What Huburdeau did to him last night does not happen to average defensive players.
Yea your right, cause players never get burned on the ice by a great move.



I guess the truth is out according to you, Pronger was not even an average defenseman since he let that happen.

edit - Boyler beat me

Green Blob* is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:44 AM
  #454
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hes not average. You're just lying to yourself if you think that.

What Huburdeau did to him last night does not happen to average defensive players.
You're absolutely right.



Edit: Lol. We all had the same thought.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:46 AM
  #455
Leetch2McDonagh27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hes not average. You're just lying to yourself if you think that.

What Huburdeau did to him last night does not happen to average defensive players.
Kidding right? Huberdeau made a great skilled move around Zucc. It happens. Zucc is not in there for D. Hes in there to create O, with his passing and skill. YOU TAKE THAT.....especially since we don't have much SKILL with this team SANS a Nash.

Huberdeau (who leads all rookie scorers with 14 btw) could of easily put that move on Cally or Nash and no one would say ****. So please.....

THIS team.....the way it is, with that Idiot torts on the bench, is better with Zuccarello. Nash has been terrible defensively lately as well. Point is....you can put up with their D lapses, at least a good team should be able to, as long as they create offense, which is what they are here to do. Like I said before.....look at a guy like Jeff Carter. He he terrible defensively....but the Kings don't complain about him, since he has 25 Goals. A good team compensates and covers the few D-lapses on their offensive forwards. Plain and Simple

Leetch2McDonagh27 is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:50 AM
  #456
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
We're really going to compare that play to the Pronger/Dawes play, huh? Geez, no wonder why a ton of you dont understand/respect the defensive side of the pick.

The Pronger play came almost immediately off the confusion of a turnover.

The Zuccarello play was a standard rush where he had PLENTY of time to read the play. He apparently decided that getting to the trailer late and making a lazy stick check was the right course of action.

Why is there a need to inflate Zuccarello's offense prowess and gloss over real issues he has on the defensive end? Is it because hes small and easy to root for? Because seriously, Im just trying to evaluate a player without any bias here.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:51 AM
  #457
anofsti
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Some posters are doing the whole Fox News debate in here. Arguing extreme points to shift the "truth is somewhere in the middle" towards their own position.

I think zuccarello hasn't peaked, and that he'll continue to get better each year until his early thirties.

Also, to comment on the Nash thing. If he weren't here, AA and Dubi would, and they might have combined for 15 goals or so in the Rangers system. Or other players that would have shared the TOI Nash would have voided.

anofsti is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
  #458
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
We're really going to compare that play to the Pronger/Dawes play, huh? Geez, no wonder why a ton of you dont understand/respect the defensive side of the pick.

The Pronger play came almost immediately off the confusion of a turnover.

The Zuccarello play was a standard rush where he had PLENTY of time to read the play. He apparently decided that getting to the trailer late and making a lazy stick check was the right course of action.

Why is there a need to inflate Zuccarello's offense prowess and gloss over real issues he has on the defensive end? Is it because hes small and easy to root for? Because seriously, Im just trying to evaluate a player without any bias here.
I understand the defensive side of the puck. I have been defending Boyle on here for a year. However, you stated that doesn't happen to average defensive players. It does all the time. They are split second decisions.

MZA is also a solid forechecker and pocket picker all over the ice.

Is he going to win a Selke? No, of course not. Is he going to be a PKer? No. The Rangers have enough of those types of players. I fail to understand why it is not a good idea for this team to have a supremely skilled player who creates flexibility throughout the line-up and contributes on the score-sheet.

I am not comparing him directly to Briere as Danny has proven he has a ton of offense in him, but Briere is a BAD defensive player and has done just fine for himself. Another small forward with a ton of skill.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
  #459
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anofsti View Post
Some posters are doing the whole Fox News debate in here. Arguing extreme points to shift the "truth is somewhere in the middle" towards their own position.

I think zuccarello hasn't peaked, and that he'll continue to get better each year until his early thirties.

Also, to comment on the Nash thing. If he weren't here, AA and Dubi would, and they might have combined for 15 goals or so in the Rangers system. Or other players that would have shared the TOI Nash would have voided.
Some people are making an informed judgment based on what they've seen during his NHL tenure thus far on both sides of the puck.

Others, like yourself, are basing your opinions on hope that he will become a more productive player.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:59 AM
  #460
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I understand the defensive side of the puck. I have been defending Boyle on here for a year. However, you stated that doesn't happen to average defensive players. It does all the time. They are split second decisions.

MZA is also a solid forechecker and pocket picker all over the ice.

Is he going to win a Selke? No, of course not. Is he going to be a PKer? No. The Rangers have enough of those types of players. I fail to understand why it is not a good idea for this team to have a supremely skilled player who creates flexibility throughout the line-up and contributes on the score-sheet.

I am not comparing him directly to Briere as Danny has proven he has a ton of offense in him, but Briere is a BAD defensive player and has done just fine for himself. Another small forward with a ton of skill.
I never said to take him out of the lineup. Im saying I dont think hes a difference maker. And you need difference makers on a contending team. Hes fine for just another mediocre Ranger squad trying to squeak into the playoffs.

When he produces offensively to Danny Briere levels, he can miss all the assignments he wants. Wake me when that happens.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:01 AM
  #461
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
We're really going to compare that play to the Pronger/Dawes play, huh? Geez, no wonder why a ton of you dont understand/respect the defensive side of the pick.

The Pronger play came almost immediately off the confusion of a turnover.

The Zuccarello play was a standard rush where he had PLENTY of time to read the play. He apparently decided that getting to the trailer late and making a lazy stick check was the right course of action.

Why is there a need to inflate Zuccarello's offense prowess and gloss over real issues he has on the defensive end? Is it because hes small and easy to root for? Because seriously, Im just trying to evaluate a player without any bias here.
Cmon you get the reason for the use of this example of course each play is different and needs to be dissected on its own but thats the point they're making. People are using this one play to attack Zuke when his D play for his career has certainly not been that bad. people are pointing how ridiculous this is bty showing how any1 can be beat on any given play. The irony is that this post here is doing exactly what those you are argueing with are doing.

shinchanyo is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:02 AM
  #462
mrmovies779
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anofsti View Post
I think zuccarello hasn't peaked, and that he'll continue to get better each year until his early thirties.
Players start to decline once they hit their early 30's,not get better.If you mean you think he is going to get better yearly until his early 30's,i disagree.I think what we see from him now is the best he will ever be.

We still dont know if he can handle the full wear and tear of an 82 game season either and his defensive shortcomings are a concern

mrmovies779 is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:03 AM
  #463
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,927
vCash: 500
Boyler has it. It's easy to get good defensive forwards. Powe, Boyle, Fedotenko, the list goes on and they are not hard to come by.

It is a lot harder to get an offensive player. This team's offense being what it is, we can afford a defensive liability at the forward position. We had Prucha for a few years. Colorado had Svatos. ECT.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:13 AM
  #464
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I'm struck by how improved his skating is, and in the back of my mind, I have the knowledge that MSL broke out offensively at age 27.

With this offensively deprived team, and the lack of solid free agents, I think its a no-brainer to offer him a new contract.
His improvement in skating is impressive. He is now looking to use his speed the minute he gets the puck on the wing. I like what I see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It happened to Chris Pronger by Nigel Dawes. I disagree.
The bashing this kid gets from his haters is not going to be stopped by your logic. At 25 years of age playing in a foreign land on a $700k a year salary he is supposed to be a combination of Cam Neely in his prime on offense mixed in with Scott Stevens in his prime on defense. Anything less is a player not worth having.

NickyFotiu is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:16 AM
  #465
mrmovies779
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
His improvement in skating is impressive. He is now looking to use his speed the minute he gets the puck on the wing. I like what I see!



The bashing this kid gets from his haters is not going to be stopped by your logic. At 25 years of age playing in a foreign land on a $700k a year salary he is supposed to be a combination of Cam Neely in his prime on offense mixed in with Scott Stevens in his prime on defense. Anything less is a player not worth having.
So people that notice his defense isnt very good are now haters.

Typical HF logic

mrmovies779 is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:21 AM
  #466
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmovies779 View Post
So people that notice his defense isnt very good are now haters.

Typical HF logic
He got burned by a very good offensive player. If he's around next season and it continually happens, I think we can make more assumptions.

esidebill is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:22 AM
  #467
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,927
vCash: 500
What I do not fully understand is why he is such a polarizing player to the fanbase?

No other prospect has received this amount of love/hate.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:23 AM
  #468
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,973
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
What I do not fully understand is why he is such a polarizing player to the fanbase?

No other prospect has received this amount of love/hate.
Avery? Orr? Lefebvre?

Again, it' not hate. Concerns and doubts, certainly, but not "hate".

__________________

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 04-19-2013 at 11:46 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:28 AM
  #469
mrmovies779
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
What I do not fully understand is why he is such a polarizing player to the fanbase?

No other prospect has received this amount of love/hate.
I do not hate him,but i do wonder how he will fare over a full 82 game season defensively while getting pounded daily.

No one questions his offensive ability,its the other side of the puck their are legit concerns over.

mrmovies779 is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:37 AM
  #470
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmovies779 View Post
So people that notice his defense isnt very good are now haters.

Typical HF logic
The kid has only been on the ice for 2 regular goals against in 10 games. He back checks like crazy. He is often the first guy back out of all the forwards. He never just quits when the puck goes the other way unlike some other Rangers forwards. When posters who bashed him long before he was signed now only focus on a couple of hiccups while choosing to ignore the good he has also done then yes they are the definition of haters.

NickyFotiu is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:40 AM
  #471
mrmovies779
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
The kid has only been on the ice for 2 regular goals against in 10 games. He back checks like crazy. He is often the first guy back out of all the forwards. He never just quits when the puck goes the other way unlike some other Rangers forwards. When posters who bashed him long before he was signed now only focus on a couple of hiccups while choosing to ignore the good he has also done then yes they are the definition of haters.
Those few hiccups get magnified even more in the playoffs.Its hard not to wonder how he will be on the defensive side of the puck in critical games.Its not hating,its being reasonable.

If you choose to only gush over his offense,thats your choice,but i prefer to watch both sides of the puck and his defense is just not very good.

mrmovies779 is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:42 AM
  #472
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 706
vCash: 500
Disclaimer - I am neither a Zucc lover or hater.

That said, I am happy with his play given what he is getting paid - he has brought some creativity to an offensively starved team that desperately needs help on offense. As for his defensive play, I'd like to throw a couple of things into the sauce.

1) Not many (if any) NHL teams ice a roster containing 21 skaters that are all solid 2 way players.

2) Positioning can be taught. Hustle, heart, and the desire to win can't.

NYR1967 is online now  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:44 AM
  #473
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmovies779 View Post
Those few hiccups get magnified even more in the playoffs.Its hard not to wonder how he will be on the defensive side of the puck in critical games.Its not hating,its being reasonable.

If you choose to only gush over his offense,thats your choice,but i prefer to watch both sides of the puck and his defense is just not very good.
I am pretty sure that you can analyze any player like that, no?

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:45 AM
  #474
nyrleetch
Registered User
 
nyrleetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Really happy he's back. One of my favorite Rangers to watch. He is easily one of our most creative players on the ice. Defensively he's been fine and his skating has really improved since his last tenure with us. He makes things happen on the ice, it was only a matter of time before the points started to accumulate. Not sure why there is some bias against him when since his return he has easily been one of our best players. Even when the points weren't adding up at first he was still making plays.

nyrleetch is online now  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:48 AM
  #475
mrmovies779
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I am pretty sure that you can analyze any player like that, no?
Still doesnt change the fact that he can become a major liability defensively come playoff time.

mrmovies779 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.