HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Caps new nastier direction

Old
04-18-2013, 10:02 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Where was the new nastier direction tonight? At least pretend you care about losing...eesh.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:10 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Do coaches expect the team to give max effort every game every year?

Or are there write offs, and are they wise. Fishman says tonight is a write off

Heck even top corporations cut their losses.

These games happen to every team in the league, and maybe across almost all sports.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:08 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Where was the new nastier direction tonight? At least pretend you care about losing...eesh.
Relax. There is a professional team on the other side too. If you're expectations for "this direction" are to go 82-0 and never have an off night you are in for deep dissappointment.

Sometimes, as hard as it is to do, you just have to give credit to the other team for playing a good game and Ottawa did just that as they were flying.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Relax. There is a professional team on the other side too. If you're expectations for "this direction" are to go 82-0 and never have an off night you are in for deep dissappointment.

Sometimes, as hard as it is to do, you just have to give credit to the other team for playing a good game and Ottawa did just that as they were flying.
Caps are one loss from missing the playoffs. 1.

Then what?

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Chokingdogs

Quote:

yep...

from the second the game ended on tuesday i had this one pegged as the proverbial "mail it in/let down/fall back to earth" game.

and it was.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Caps are one loss from missing the playoffs. 1.

Then what?
??

they miss the playoffs.....that's what, and we all get to wear our collective fingertips down to bloody knubs.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
??

they miss the playoffs.....that's what, and we all get to wear our collective fingertips down to bloody knubs.
No man. Posters like Bob are trying to paint this rosey Caps land picture here. We are "nastier", and more "ready for the playoffs" then ever, and this "could be our year"...when defending the team, and its management.

Bob knows what I am saying to him. All that schmaltz....and now we could actually miss the playoffs.

*If* that happens, then what is the defense of this regime?

That said,

Fire George

Old
04-19-2013, 11:34 AM
bgroban

Quote:
No man. Posters like Bob are trying to paint this rosey Caps land picture here. We are "nastier", and more "ready for the playoffs" then ever, and this "could be our year"...when defending the team, and its management.

Bob knows what I am saying to him. All that schmaltz....and now we could actually miss the playoffs.

That said,

Fire George
So it is okay for some Caps' fans to be dour about the team, but it is not okay for some fans to be rosey about the team?

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:51 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You guys are missing the boat. Everyone knows you're not going 48-0. Doesn't mean that when you're getting smacked in the mouth all night that you can't show some heart and fight.

I gave full credit to Ottawa. They were disciplined, worked hard, and they smacked us around all night. Would have liked to see some well timed fisticuffs to spark the team. Sadly I guess everyone was taking a night off.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:58 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
yep...

from the second the game ended on tuesday i had this one pegged as the proverbial "mail it in/let down/fall back to earth" game.

and it was.
That we EXPECT a team of PROFESSIONALS to take a night off and mail it in, says a lot about the Caps as an organization.

1st - 4 shots
2nd - 8 shots
3rd - 7 shots

Outshot 38-19 by a much less talented team is pathetic.

Anyway, rather they get this sad loss out of the way before the playoffs.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Elganja

any word on backstrom?

Elganja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Outshot 38-19 by a much less talented team is pathetic.
I think we've pretty well learned, although perhaps the front office has not, that talent alone only takes a team so far unless we're talking about special exceptions. This team isn't one of those exceptions unless 8/52 put up exemplary performances.

Ottawa is far more cohesive, disciplined, seemingly faster and more tenacious. What Washington has done to so many teams lately from a discipline and cohesion standpoint was turned on its head (and then some) last night. Primarily IMO that was because of speed and not just ragged, manic speed but composed high tempo. This is why I see this season as more of a transition year unless, again, they get special performances from 8/52. I don't think they have the necessary pace and likely don't even have the right mix yet to pull off much of a run.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:20 PM
BobRouse

Quote:

That said,

Fire George
When did I ever say we are guaranteed to make the playoffs this year? I said I like the direction. This to me means I like the trend. I didn't say we have fully arrived at the destination.

In fact I have expressly pointed out that some of it (Wilson, Latta, offseason restructuring) has not come to fruition. Its not going to happen overnight.

Think you need to let the anger go a bit my man. Its not worth getting all stressed out about. Keep things in proper perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

Ottawa is far more cohesive, disciplined, seemingly faster and more tenacious. What Washington has done to so many teams lately from a discipline and cohesion standpoint was turned on its head (and then some) last night. .
Remember..it was one game. The Caps were off and Ottawa was on. That happens in sports.

Quote:
That we EXPECT a team of PROFESSIONALS to take a night off and mail it in, says a lot about the Caps as an organization.
Hold on there. You are sounding like a Toronto fan or one of those Boston fans that was saying they need to trade everyone after we came back and beat them earlier this year.

It was 1 loss. They didn't "mail it in". They did not "dog it" Jagr style. They didn't have the energy where Ottawa did.

You won't even remember this game a year from now. If we rewind to every stanley cup winner from previous years we can find a dozen games where they didn't have gas in the regular season.

Last edited by BobRouse: 04-19-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 12:44 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think we've pretty well learned, although perhaps the front office has not, that talent alone only takes a team so far unless we're talking about special exceptions. This team isn't one of those exceptions unless 8/52 put up exemplary performances.

Ottawa is far more cohesive, disciplined, seemingly faster and more tenacious. What Washington has done to so many teams lately from a discipline and cohesion standpoint was turned on its head (and then some) last night. Primarily IMO that was because of speed and not just ragged, manic speed but composed high tempo. This is why I see this season as more of a transition year unless, again, they get special performances from 8/52. I don't think they have the necessary pace and likely don't even have the right mix yet to pull off much of a run.
In other words they play like a team instead of relying on superhuman individual performances.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hold on there. You are sounding like a Toronto fan or one of those Boston fans that was saying they need to trade everyone after we came back and beat them earlier this year.

It was 1 loss. They didn't "mail it in". They did not "dog it" Jagr style. They didn't have the energy where Ottawa did.

You won't even remember this game a year from now. If we rewind to every stanley cup winner from previous years we can find a dozen games where they didn't have gas in the regular season.

Really I sound like them? I missed the part where I suggested we trade everyone.

I'll remember it if it's the start of a losing streak that leads to missing the playoffs.

I think it's fun to watch you make excuses for the team now....it's like you've completely flipped sides.

You yourself made this thread about a new nastier direction, but when it was needed last night, it was nowhere to be found.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
So it is okay for some Caps' fans to be dour about the team, but it is not okay for some fans to be rosey about the team?
Of course they can. All we can do is discuss the reasons for our positions, right?

Old
04-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
When did I ever say we are guaranteed to make the playoffs this year? I said I like the direction. This to me means I like the trend. I didn't say we have fully arrived at the destination.

In fact I have expressly pointed out that some of it (Wilson, Latta, offseason restructuring) has not come to fruition. Its not going to happen overnight.

Think you need to let the anger go a bit my man. Its not worth getting all stressed out about. Keep things in proper perspective.
Fire George???

Is that what you mean?

Old
04-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
In other words they play like a team instead of relying on superhuman individual performances.
That obviously isn't what Oates is prescribing, if that's what you're trying to imply.

Yeah, they were off and Ottawa was on, but it looked like AHL vs. NHL out there.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:12 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Really I sound like them? I missed the part where I suggested we trade everyone.

I'll remember it if it's the start of a losing streak that leads to missing the playoffs.

I think it's fun to watch you make excuses for the team now....it's like you've completely flipped sides.

You yourself made this thread about a new nastier direction, but when it was needed last night, it was nowhere to be found.
Once again I will stress that it was one game. Trust me this will happen again in the future too no matter what direction we take, what general manager we will or won't get, what coach, or what players. In fact it will happen to every team in every sport at some point in the near future.

I will reiterate that it is a direction. Its a process. It will take time and you will either have to have patience or you'll lose a ton of hair over a grouping of wealthy atheletes and team officials getting paid handsomely for something most of us would probably do for free.

I understand your frustration but its not going to do any good and will only serve to add undue stress to your life.

If you want Choking Dogs will give you a hug.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Their puck movement and support isn't that strong/bright. When the pace picks up it gets exposed and they don't really have an answer aside from trying to keep play to the outside defensively. Overall their hope is that the opposition lets them dictate the tempo and largely they've been able to recently. Upping their own tempo in a controlled manner is essential and something that likely has to wait until next season to fully address.

Volpatti did truck Gonchar there in the third but fairly isolated incidents of toughness doesn't make a team tough. There's also a strategic usage of toughness that this team doesn't employ. They've never been a strong dump and chase team nor do they really have the size on the back-end to be that stout in diffusing cycles. Fundamentally they're built to be a higher pace finesse puck moving team yet still don't have the habits to pull it off convincingly from top to bottom.

That game should be an eye-opener but I'm not sure they can do much aside from trying to tighten up a bit more defensively and generally support one another on the ice better.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:26 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Their puck movement and support isn't that strong/bright. When the pace picks up it gets exposed and they don't really have an answer aside from trying to keep play to the outside defensively. Overall their hope is that the opposition lets them dictate the tempo and largely they've been able to recently. Upping their own tempo in a controlled manner is essential and something that likely has to wait until next season to fully address.

Volpatti did truck Gonchar there in the third but fairly isolated incidents of toughness doesn't make a team tough. There's also a strategic usage of toughness that this team doesn't employ. They've never been a strong dump and chase team nor do they really have the size on the back-end to be that stout in diffusing cycles. Fundamentally they're built to be a higher pace finesse puck moving team yet still don't have the habits to pull it off convincingly from top to bottom.

That game should be an eye-opener but I'm not sure they can do much aside from trying to tighten up a bit more defensively and generally support one another on the ice better.

Glad I'm not the only one seeing it. I still think a few players need to be rotated out who are passive guys, and that will probably need to be done in the offseason. We need a few more "in your face" players with skill IMO. Hopefully Wilson is one of them, but he's a ways away from making a real impact. They need it now.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:28 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:

They needed to be way more physical. Ottawa's D weren't one bit worried about paying a price. That would have helped them dictate the tempo. It's not about the other team letting them do it; it's about taking it by force. They did that earlier in the streak, but not yesterday.

And yet, both goals were softies. Holtby had a weak and great game all at once, and they were in it to the end, dictating the play much more late. Losing Nicky hurt them and shows how much they really rely on him.

They got outplayed but the only goals against were softies and they had a chance to win. It wasn't pretty, but as losses go, I've seen much worse.

Obviously, whether they rebound and play MTL hard tomorrow will be an indicator of what kind of team this really is, but how they play the Sens on Thursday will really be a huge tell. Can they adapt and learn or do they just keep banging their heads against the wall?

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:34 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Volpatti did truck Gonchar there in the third
I'm sure some of you guys read up Japersrink and RMNB. While I like the humor and interesting articles there is one thing I absolutely don't get from them...

Their love for Wolski!! They constantly bag on Volpatti and seem genuinely baffled as to why WW isn't in the lineup.

I think most posters here can easily understand why. Its like those bloggers are new to hockey or are clearly part of the new Rock the Red fans.

Yeah Volpatti isn't a great player but he hustles, hits and gives it his all. That is what you need from a 4th liner.

Wolski should either be in the top 6 or not in the lineup at all. He is not an energy player and would drag those lines down in terms of accomplishing their mission. And if he is consistently in your top 6 then you either have a bunch of injuries or are a cruddy team.

The guys at JPs and RMNB just don't get it.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:48 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Did anyone else see the fine PK work of Oleksy last game?

They ran a replay with a behind the goal cam and Oleksy was very active in front, battling potential screeners. He was hacking and whacking and harassing non stop - a small clinic was put on.

I think most all the others can take a lesson watching his work on that PK. Harassing PP forwards can result in make up calls. Refs bury the whistle for small things on the PK, and in front of the net battles all game long.

While it was all routine stuff I for one thought it was refreshing to see a non erskine D man battling in front.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:52 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Did anyone else see the fine PK work of Oleksy last game?

They ran a replay with a behind the goal cam and Oleksy was very active in front, battling potential screeners. He was hacking and whacking and harassing non stop - a small clinic was put on.

I think most all the others can take a lesson watching his work on that PK. Harassing PP forwards can result in make up calls. Refs bury the whistle for small things on the PK, and in front of the net battles all game long.

While it was all routine stuff I for one thought it was refreshing to see a non erskine D man battling in front.
RE Oleksy: Encouraging to know this since I missed the game.

Last week Alan May did an Erskine breakdown and he mentioned something along the lines of "they aren't going to call everything". In fact alot of times the opposing forward will take a retaliation shot which can end up getting called.

Its a fine line to walk since you can't be too blatent but alot will be let go in front of the net especially on the PK.