HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 10:25 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
BTW..I'm not so sure keeping Bryz another year is a good idea now. All you do with that is create a Bob situation with Mason b/c the team has to continue to give Bryz chances to prove his worth. In the meantime, Mason suffers with development b/c possibly he is not given enough reps/consistent starts to prove himself now that he's got a clearer mind. Look at last night..Bryz plays even though Mason had a great game. This is what happened to Bob. The coach bears responsibility b/c he doesn't set out a clear strategy with respect to the starting goaltending. It is inconsistent. Do you platoon (which Lavi is not a fan of) or do you reward the goalie who shows the better body of work in practice and games? Lavi seems to prefer the latter but then b/c he maybe feels pressure to get Bryz going vacillates. Nothing worse from a players perspective, especially a young player, when the coach is unpredictable like that. I mean this year Bryz became the outright starter b/c we didn't have competent backups to challenge him..but then he got fatigued. Now he has a competent backup and possible starter behind him again and remains to be seen how it will affect him...so far he's let out a big "yawn."

Old
04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Being mired in a "middle ground" opinion with respect to Bryz IMO is akin to accepting the mediocrity that defines his identity with this team.

Nonetheless, you are entitled to your opinion and we all have differing ways of expressing them.

Indeed, my opinion of your interpretation of particular approaches to analysis as being characterized as "paranoia" is a bit of an oversimplification and exaggeration itself particularly with a personality like Bryz.

I mean I understand where you are coming from to some extent and some of the vitriol against Bryz may be over the top but really he brings it upon himself with his mediocre play and polarizing interviews that do require reading between the lines whether you agree with the interpretations or not. This is why this is a public discussion forum. Comment is free...

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you validation of freedom of opinions on this forum and I just expressed mine without trying to sway anyone my way.

Being brouht up behind "the iron curtain", I truly appreciate the freedom of expression.
I understand why people are hating on him or loving him to death; it's just difficult to participate in shouting matches. That's all.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:31 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
BTW..I'm not so sure keeping Bryz another year is a good idea now. All you do with that is create a Bob situation with Mason b/c the team has to continue to give Bryz chances to prove his worth. In the meantime, Mason suffers with development b/c possibly he is not given enough reps/consistent starts to prove himself now that he's got a clearer mind. Look at last night..Bryz plays even though Mason had a great game. This is what happened to Bob. The coach bears responsibility b/c he doesn't set out a clear strategy with respect to the starting goaltending. It is inconsistent. Do you platoon (which Lavi is not a fan of) or do you reward the goalie who shows the better body of work in practice and games? Lavi seems to prefer the latter but then b/c he maybe feels pressure to get Bryz going vacillates. Nothing worse from a players perspective, especially a young player, when the coach is unpredictable like that. I mean this year Bryz became the outright starter b/c we didn't have competent backups to challenge him..but then he got fatigued. Now he has a competent backup and possible starter behind him again and remains to be seen how it will affect him...so far he's let out a big "yawn."
Perhaps, you are right. But canucks survived this year. (and I am not comparing Bryz to Luongo).

Old
04-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Reduxs

First few starts of their Flyers careers...and I think we all know how they all ended up (from BroadStreetHockey.com)

Goalie Year Record GAA Save percentage
Mason '13-13 1-2 1.8 .941
Bryzgalov '11-12 3-0 1.7 .940
Bobrovsky '10-11 2-0 2.0 .931
Leighton '09-10 4-1 1.7 .943
Boucher '09-10 2-3 1.8 .930
Emery '09-10 3-0 2.3 .922
Leighton '06-07 2-0 2.0 .933
Biron '06-07 3-1-1 2.5 .928
Niittymaki '03-04 3-0 1.0 .961
Hackett '03-04 2-0-1 1.3 .940
Burke '03-04 2-0 1.5 .945
Esche '02-03 3-0 1.7 .926

Let's not get too excited yet. There's a reason Columbus discarded him for Leighton and a 3rd.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:03 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Agree with Meltzer.

The other thing I found ironic was how Bryz tried to be more active with the puck to aid the D.

So did it take Mason to show him how effective that extra effort could be of benefit to the team (except against the Devils of course)?

Quote:
There are many criticisms that get levied against Bryzgalov, some fair and some unfair. One of the legitimate gripes is that he is not very good in winning one-on-one battles with shooters, whether it's committing himself on a breakaway or getting beaten from about 10 feet away

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...abiah/45/50997

Old
04-19-2013, 11:08 AM
BillDineen

Any discussion involving Bryz has to include his contract. Otherwise it is irrational (but this was obvious in the first version of this thread).

My biggest concern right now is what happens if they pass on buying him out, Mason has bounce back season, but Bryz improves closer to his career save % and they don't buy him out? Then Mason resigns as an RFA for one year, continues to play well, but then leaves the next summer as a UFA because Bryz is kept (regardless of his play in 2014-15) for financial (cap) reasons (not wanting a standard buyout). The end result being they keep an aging goalie with a high cap hit over a younger one and miss out on a lot of the upside from acquiring Mason in the first place.

Last edited by BillDineen: 04-19-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old
04-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Any discussion involving Bryz has to include his contract. Otherwise it is irrational (but this was obvious in the first version of this thread).

My biggest concern right now is what happens if they pass on buying him out, Mason has bounce back season, but Bryz improves closer to his career save % and they don't buy him out? Then Mason resigns as an RFA for one year, continues to play well, but then leaves the next summer as a UFA because Bryz is kept (regardless of his play in 2014-15) for financial (cap) reasons (not wanting a standard buyout). The end result being they keep an aging goalie with a high cap hit over a younger one and miss out on a lot of the upside from acquiring Mason in the first place.
You're basically saying, what if Bryzgalov plays well enough not to be bought out in 2014, but then reverts to form afterward?

It is a valid concern--but there's not much anyone can do about it at this point, and its really no different than would have been the case had there never been a lockout and amnesty buyouts.

I think you're right, though, in that a decision will be made one way or the other next summer. Either Bryzgalov is bought out, or he becomes the starting goaltender for the years that follow. Fortunately, they have another full season of evaluation before they have to make that call.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:25 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you validation of freedom of opinions on this forum and I just expressed mine without trying to sway anyone my way.

Being brouht up behind "the iron curtain", I truly appreciate the freedom of expression.
I understand why people are hating on him or loving him to death; it's just difficult to participate in shouting matches. That's all.
Off topic, are you from Russia ? In 1991 I went to Moscow for 15 days to play Bandy, such a awesome experience !!!

Old
04-19-2013, 11:40 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, I did indeed oversimplify. I used the transitive property of general relativity to round "much" up to "all," while taking care to respect the cosmological constant without breaking C. It's all very complex.
The Flyers' new goalie coach.

It would be appropriate, given Bryzgalov's interest in astrophysics.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:43 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
You can't blame Bryz when the O doesn't net a single puck.

Matt Read had the best chance of the night and blew it.
Wasn't it Giroux who took the 2-on-1 feed and fired a point-blank wrister into Brodeur?

Old
04-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The Flyers' new goalie coach.

It would be appropriate, given Bryzgalov's interest in astrophysics.
That also explains why the Flyers net has become a black hole, sucking in all nearby pucks.

04-19-2013, 12:01 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That also explains why the Flyers net has become a black hole, sucking in all nearby pucks.
The event horizon for our net on breakaways appears to be the top of the circle.

04-19-2013, 12:19 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Wasn't it Giroux who took the 2-on-1 feed and fired a point-blank wrister into Brodeur?
That was another blown chance but Read was in tight and had Brodeur completely flatfooted due to the various options he had to do with the puck.

With Brodeur standing so upright, if Read shoots hard and he has a very, very solid chance at netting one.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
That was another blown chance but Read was in tight and had Brodeur completely flatfooted due to the various options he had to do with the puck.

With Brodeur standing so upright, if Read shoots hard and he has a very, very solid chance at netting one.
Even Brodeur was wondering what the hell he was doing waiting. he had a open look and passed on it. baffling.
Actually that one play may describe the Flyers season in a nutshell.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:29 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Off topic, are you from Russia ? In 1991 I went to Moscow for 15 days to play Bandy, such a awesome experience !!!
Born in the part of the USSR that later became Independent Ukraine

Old
04-19-2013, 12:31 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Even Brodeur was wondering what the hell he was doing waiting. he had a open look and passed on it. baffling.
It looked like none of the Flyers had confidence to shoot the pack on Brodeur.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
It looked like none of the Flyers had confidence to shoot the pack on Brodeur.

I think they were ok until NJ got that first goal. Once that happened you had a feeling that was it. Much like The Flyers were in Pittsburgh's heads before this season NJ is in ours.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Curufinwe

To think it was just three years ago this week that the Flyers were dominating the Devils in a first round playoff series.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:15 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
I think they were ok until NJ got that first goal. Once that happened you had a feeling that was it. Much like The Flyers were in Pittsburgh's heads before this season NJ is in ours.
Read's brain fart was right before the first goal, though

Old
04-19-2013, 05:59 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
he made a lot of dumb plays last night. at one point he was rushing in near the circle close to the boards by himself, no one in front but with two devils behind him and just stopped, got hammered and coughed it up. he was all alone. all he had to do was veer in towards the net for an insanely open shot and he stopped dead for no reason. no focus goin on. just probably lookin for help. he's awesome when he's got confidence. as far as keeping bryz for another year, we should milk it since were already paying him and how's it gonna hurt to ease mason into the starting role anyway? i don't think its good to just hand it over to him without some level of competition cause he cracked the last time it was all on him. maybe if we can actually use that money to sign someone or work out a trade it'd be worth the risk tho.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:09 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
The event horizon for our net on breakaways appears to be the top of the circle.
Luckily, Bryzgalov has demonstrated an ample downward escape velocity to avoid puck impact.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Akanon

This belongs here too.. Mason's new mask

Old
04-20-2013, 12:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Basically an orange and black version of what he had. Looks great though.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:09 PM
TmlHockeyFan

So, Mason seems like he's been solid for you guys. That's good. Seems like a change of scenery was good for him.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Apples and Oranges, I think.

Bob was here, then Bryzgalov was brought in and handed the job. Bob read the writing on the wall, and the Flyers moved him for value before he left as an RFA.

Mason is a reclaimation project--and he knows it.

In hindsight, obviously, they jumped the gun on Bobrovsky--though I'm not convinced he makes the jump he has if he had stayed here--but I don't see the two situations as that similar.

Closed Thread