HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ouch

Old
08-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Ti-girl

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Ouch

I've had my skates for about 2 months now (RBK 9K pumps) and lately they've been giving me some pain, mainly across the top of the foot.

Lace bite?

I've never had it before and it's been just lately (as of the last 4 or 5 ice times)

I don't overpump the skates (usually 5 pumps is good for me) and am on them about twice-three times a week. They hurt like something terrible when I stand still but are pretty okay when I skate.

Should I get them re-baked (they've been baked once) or should I get them punched...or just suck it up?

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
They make gel pads to protect against skate bite.

Google "lace bite pad" and you will see lots of stuff.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Jeffw-13

Or go to your local Home Depot or whatever they have where you're at and get neoprene pipe insulation. Break off a piece and stick it over the sore spot before you lace up.

A six foot length cost a few bucks.

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:24 PM
EmptyNetter

I've never tried these skates so forgive the dumb question but are you tightening the laces before or after pumping up the skates? If you haven't done this already, completely loosen you laces, slide your foot into the boot, pump up the skate and then tighten your laces last as needed. I imagine you're tigtening the laces so they're nice and snug and then pumping in air and crowding your instep. The laces stretch a little as you skate so that's why the pain lessens.

If the pain were in the ball, arch or heel I'd say re-bake the skate.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 04:48 PM
MikeD

maltesehockey.com for a great lace bite pad. My sons and I all use them. I also passed a set on to Mika Norenon to try out. He had been using a silly thin foam pad. I saw him constantly adjusting them at an ice session so gave him a new spare set I had in the bag. HE loves them. think they are about 15.00 US for a set.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I've never tried these skates so forgive the dumb question but are you tightening the laces before or after pumping up the skates? If you haven't done this already, completely loosen you laces, slide your foot into the boot, pump up the skate and then tighten your laces last as needed. I imagine you're tigtening the laces so they're nice and snug and then pumping in air and crowding your instep. The laces stretch a little as you skate so that's why the pain lessens.

If the pain were in the ball, arch or heel I'd say re-bake the skate.
I've never thought of that. THough right now I'm suffereing something horrible because I took a really hard slapshot off the top of my foot.

I think I may have to amputate it. (I'm really not serious about amputating it, but it hurts something terrible.)

I may have to invest in some lacebite pads considering I'm on the ice 3-4 times a week...maybe more if I play for 2 teams.

Old
09-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Jacob

May be an obvious suggestion, but maybe tie your skates a little looser. I usually tie mine tight at the bottom, loose in the middle, then tight again in the last two eyelets.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Ti-girl

Yeah I tie mine really loose through the forefoot and tight at the top.

Old
09-01-2006, 09:20 PM
MikeD

the lace bite pads also help secure the foot in the skate with out having to be so concious of how you tighten through the top of the foot. The entire process is sooooo simplified when you use them. They also attenuate the force of any impact that might make it to the metatarsal or upper front of the foot.

Old
09-02-2006, 08:58 PM
arcticwinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Yeah I tie mine really loose through the forefoot and tight at the top.
mine have hurt a few times and i've just left the middle looser and tightened the top also.

arcticwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 10:35 PM
VisionQuest*

I concur with the maltese gel rec.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
I've run into this problem before in my hockey camps and the majority of time it is simply skate/lace bite. Try tieing your skates a little looser and try the gel pad. If it's still hurting, you may have high arches. If your skate is tight however there is no support on the arch, it can cause pain on the upper part of the foot. Your doctor can prescribe a gel pad (a la Dr Scholls) to fix this.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 08:26 PM
MikeD

by the way...the gel is good for either goalie or out player. The protection factor is even more important for the "blocking" defenseman who has no problem getting the feet out to block a shot. It makes a world of a difference. Shots to the gel protected area are hardly felt. Its why i have the Maltese gel toe caps on my goal pads. Even with the hard plastic toe caps those tended to hurt like hell. With the gel from maltesehockey.com its not a problem at all.

they will aslo do custom work so just drop the company owner a line at phil@maltesehockey.com He wont sell you a line. You will get the straight up cause he wont sell you a product he doesnt think you will benefit from.

Old
09-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Allsmokenopancake

Maybe the skate is the wrong shape for your foot?

After a year on CCM tacks, I just (literally, bought them today) changed to Easton. CCM (also owned by reebok) tacks skates are wide, but shallow, and when I laced them up, even loosely, was getting pain across the top of my foot.

I tried on a pair of Eastons yesterday, and unbroken, new on my feet, they felt more comfortable than tacks ever did.

When I first started, I knew nothing, but read the skates would be sore until broken in, so I just agreed with the guy fitting me, and the result was he put me in a skate that was too shallow (I thought pain would go with breaking in, it didn't

This is how wrong the skates were for me, I went from a CCM 852 tack size 11.5 E, to an Easton 10 D size.

If you just bought them because they were new on the market and getting hype, I would suggest trying on some different models, see what fits your foot

Hope that helps

Allsmokenopancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Ti-girl

I've worn Tacks my whole life and have never had a problem with them so I'm just thinking that a lot of it is the fact that I am spending so much time on the ice. I would spend usually 4 hours a week last year on the ice and this year its up to 8 or more.

I am going to check out those Maltese pads. I tend to take a lot of shots off the feet and get a lot of hacks on the top of the feet.

Old
09-05-2006, 10:14 AM
VisionQuest*

Are Vectors roughly the same shape as Tacks?
Ive always worn CCM, as my foot is indeed wide and shallow...

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Allsmokenopancake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
Are Vectors roughly the same shape as Tacks?
Ive always worn CCM, as my foot is indeed wide and shallow...
As far as I know, Vectors run a bit narrower than tacks, not sure if they are deeper though

Allsmokenopancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 11:38 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
I've worn Tacks my whole life and have never had a problem with them so I'm just thinking that a lot of it is the fact that I am spending so much time on the ice. I would spend usually 4 hours a week last year on the ice and this year its up to 8 or more.

I am going to check out those Maltese pads. I tend to take a lot of shots off the feet and get a lot of hacks on the top of the feet.
That could be your problem. RBK's don't fit like Tacks. Tacks are a lot wider then RBK's, especially in the mid foot area.

I had a simular problem with my Graf 703's. The lace bite was something nasty. I bought some RBK 8k's (wider deeper boot) and problem solved.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote