HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 12:31 PM
DenverHabsFan

vCash: 500
Not sure why people hope to play the Isles. We've struggled just as much against them as we did against the Leafs and our D can't stop Tavares.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:35 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

I'm not trying to be a dick but why should the game in Boston tonight be cancelled?

Old
04-19-2013, 12:37 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick but why should the game in Boston tonight be cancelled?
Because there is a fugitive at large and the entire city is on lockdown.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:40 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
Because there is a fugitive at large and the entire city is on lockdown.
On any day there are thousands of criminals at large in hundreds of cities all across the United States. (Please let's discuss this with reason not emotion.)

Old
04-19-2013, 12:42 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
On any day there are thousands of criminals at large in hundreds of cities all across the United States. (Please let's discuss this with reason not emotion.)
Anytime you're ready to start.

I mean, come on...I'm not saying the game should be cancelled necessarily but to pretend this is "just another day like anywhere else"...really?

Old
04-19-2013, 12:43 PM
MJG

Quote:
I'm not emotional. You asked a question and I answered. And it isn't my decision. But don't pretend like this is your average criminal or situation. The entire world is watching.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

I mean, come on...I'm not saying the game should be cancelled necessarily but to pretend this is "just another day like anywhere else"...really?
Any reason they can't play the game in another arena? Is the one in Hartford still there, or some other pro arena? I realize there are logistic difficulties -- seating number and placement -- but wouldn't that still be preferable to a total rescheduling?

Old
04-19-2013, 12:45 PM
MJG

Quote:

Thanks. I felt like I was taking crazy pills for a second.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:45 PM
DenverHabsFan

On game days, there are a ton of fans driving down 89/91/93. Even if they don't cancel, attendance should be lower than usual as those fans probably won't want to risk having to turn around and head back.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:46 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Any reason they can't play the game in another arena? Is the one in Hartford still there, or some other pro arena? I realize there are logistic difficulties -- seating number and placement -- but wouldn't that still be preferable to a total rescheduling?
That's a logistical nightmare.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:49 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
I'm not emotional. You asked a question and I answered. And it isn't my decision. But don't pretend like this is your average criminal or situation. The entire world is watching.
Sorry my bad I didn't mean to suggest you were emotional, I meant if we and others discuss this going forward.

It is a police action to find a crime suspect. Why not simply check people entering TD Garden?

Old
04-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Not sure why people hope to play the Isles. We've struggled just as much against them as we did against the Leafs and our D can't stop Tavares.
As far as I'm concerned I don't care who play against, whether it's the leafs, the isles or any other team. The habs will show what they are made of against any opponent and if we are to win a cup we'll be facing teams a lot tougher than what we are to expect in the 1st round. I wouldn't even mind facing the penguins, an easy win in the 1st round of the PO doesn't make it easier for a team to win the cup, i.e Boston in 2011.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:53 PM
MJG

Quote:
Sorry my bad I didn't mean to suggest you were emotional, I meant if we and others discuss this going forward.

It is a police action to find a crime suspect. Why not simply check people entering TD Garden?
I'm not a policeman and I'm not 100% up to date on everything that's going on. But my understanding is that the city is lockdown. They want as few people on the streets as possible. I'm guessing 20,000 people wandering around downtown would interfere with catching the suspect which is priority #1 in the states right now.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:55 PM
habtastic

Quote:

I understood completely what you meant in terms of discussing this objectively without getting riled up since its a sensitive matter, but we can look at the logistics.

I don't fullly understand why the entire city is on lockdown for one guy. It's not like they do that in similar situations, this seems to be very specific. Please note that my sister lives right in back bay, a few blocks from where the explosions happened, so I don't want anyone getting hurt/I care about the safety situation. I just don't get why they think the guy can't hide/force his way into a house/whatever if he really wants to. I'm probably being naive or mis-informed, so feel free to explain.

That being said, IF there's a lockdown, then of course, I understand cancelling the game.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:55 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:

Cops are chasing a suspect, why close the arena? If it's about the threat then screen people coming into the arena. If it's about the tragedy itself why don't games get cancelled every time there's a tragedy. When Lepine massacred 29 women students the Habs played the same night, albeit an away game.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:00 PM
MJG

Quote:
Cops are chasing a suspect, why close the arena? If it's about the threat then screen people coming into the arena. If it's about the tragedy itself why don't games get cancelled every time there's a tragedy. When Lepine massacred 29 women students the Habs played the same night, albeit an away game.
Has the game actually been cancelled yet? Or are we still just speculating?

Old
04-19-2013, 01:01 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Well as of right now it seems the city is on lockdown, including where the arena is located I would have to assume...who knows how long it'll go on for, but I doubt they're going to turn to each other and go "oh **** the Bruins are supposed to play tonight! Better drop the manhunt so people can get to the game!".

Old
04-19-2013, 01:01 PM
DenverHabsFan

This is not an OJ-type situation where they're just chasing a criminal. They strongly suspect there might be additional explosives and are taking no chances. Better safe than sorry.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:02 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Well as of right now it seems the city is on lockdown, including where the arena is located I would have to assume...who knows how long it'll go on for, but I doubt they're going to turn to each other and go "oh **** the Bruins are supposed to play tonight! Better drop the manhunt so people can get to the game!".
lol. let's not give Julien more reasons to complain.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:02 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I understood completely what you meant in terms of discussing this objectively without getting riled up since its a sensitive matter, but we can look at the logistics.

I don't fullly understand why the entire city is on lockdown for one guy. It's not like they do that in similar situations, this seems to be very specific. Please note that my sister lives right in back bay, a few blocks from where the explosions happened, so I don't want anyone getting hurt/I care about the safety situation. I just don't get why they think the guy can't hide/force his way into a house/whatever if he really wants to. I'm probably being naive or mis-informed, so feel free to explain.

That being said, IF there's a lockdown, then of course, I understand cancelling the game.
Yes see this is where I'm curious, and researching recent Boston city and state government policy might explain the lockdown. For five years now Boston has had an 11pm curfew for all people under 21. This February in response to a storm, Mass Governor Deval Patrick ordered all citizens to stay home, closed all public transit and threatened one year in jail for driving. That was unprecedented. Now a police action seeking a crime suspect the city goes into lockdown. If I was a conspiracy theorist I might think the city is an experiment in confining an urban population to their homes.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:04 PM
MJG

In the end. Safety comes first. And they will make these games up if they need to.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:11 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
This is not an OJ-type situation where they're just chasing a criminal. They strongly suspect there might be additional explosives and are taking no chances. Better safe than sorry.
Plus potential accomplices. Certainly a unique situation.

But if he's willing to throw grenades at cop cars, what would stop him from doing it to the crowd outside of TD?

Old
04-19-2013, 01:37 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Plus potential accomplices. Certainly a unique situation.

But if he's willing to throw grenades at cop cars, what would stop him from doing it to the crowd outside of TD?
Agree a unique and emotionally-charged situation, which is what I think is influencing the unique response. Are we seeing some precedents being set here?

If god forbid there is a bombing in another city, will the response be cancelling sporting and cultural events, because "this is a time for grieving not hockey/baseball/concerts/dining, let's shut the city down"? Or if a dangerous criminal is on the loose will it be "No transit no driving everybody must stay at home or be arrested plus we are shutting off cell phone networks and Twitter until we find the suspect"?

It seems the police search is in suburban Watertown which is not so close to the TD Garden, across the river and 10km away.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:38 PM
EveryDay

Can you believe that Karlsson is back on the ice with the team already???? OMG the sens will be dangerous in playoff!!!

Old
04-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Can you believe that Karlsson is back on the ice with the team already???? OMG the sens will be dangerous in playoff!!!
They will. They have stellar goaltending combo, a good coach and a good system. Incredible that they will make the playoffs even if their top players (Spezza, Michalek, Karlsson and Anderson) were injured for most of the season. One of the most hard working team in the NHL.

Closed Thread