HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals vs. Senators. 7:30pm. Scotiabank Place. 4.18.2013

Old
04-19-2013, 07:05 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Can't win them all. Clearly a lack of energy. Its not like we were never going to lose again.

Seems like a bad bruise for Backstrom so thats kinda good news.

Tough breaks for Holtby. He played a real strong game outside of 2 mistakes that cost the team. Just goes to show how unforgiving professional sports can be!

Get ready for Montreal Saturday. Hopefully at least Ward or Backstrom can play and if not that WW steps up bigtime

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Holtby's puck-handling decisions have improved, but that area of his game, for now, remains a liability. I'm sure there doesn't exist any data that quantifies the positive effects of goalies helping breakouts and so on, but I very much doubt that those positive effects outweigh the few totally unwarranted goals those goalies give up when they don't make responsible decisions.
His puck handling skills are second to none in the league. His decision making is where the liability sits.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:10 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
His puck handling skills are second to none in the league. His decision making is where the liability sits.
He makes 100 good plays with the puck for every bad one. This bad one happened to end up in the back of the net. It happens.

No risk no reward. When you take risks (a goalie playing the puck) then sometimes you will botch things. It just happened to go perfectly Ottawa's way in this instance.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:19 AM
txpd

when you have a goalie that is going to play the puck a lot plays like that are going to happen. i am not sure that was so much a bad decision as it was a bad pass. had he passed it to alzner, it wouldnt have ended up in the net.

by the way, broduer is better with the puck. not a lot of goalies are as good or willing to be as active, but broduer is in a league by himself.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
when you have a goalie that is going to play the puck a lot plays like that are going to happen. i am not sure that was so much a bad decision as it was a bad pass. had he passed it to alzner, it wouldnt have ended up in the net.

by the way, broduer is better with the puck. not a lot of goalies are as good or willing to be as active, but broduer is in a league by himself.
Watch Holtby's head, it's down before and during the pass. He knew someone was there because that's the structure of the defense / common sense but he has to be more aware when playing the puck. I agree it's a risk / reward type of situation and I'm all for it, I just think he can minimize those types of gaffes.

And tx, I also agree, Broduer > Holtby but I'm not sure it's that much of a gap.

Last edited by 442: 04-19-2013 at 07:47 AM.
442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:55 AM
bgroban

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
He makes 100 good plays with the puck for every bad one. This bad one happened to end up in the back of the net. It happens.

No risk no reward. When you take risks (a goalie playing the puck) then sometimes you will botch things. It just happened to go perfectly Ottawa's way in this instance.
Absolutely. It was a brain fart. Happens to the best of them.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:17 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

It wasn't a brain fart, he just missed. Alzner's pass was a brain fart (really, his whole game was kind of a brain fart). Bad game all around, but it'll happen. Go get Montreal.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:37 AM
BTCG

Reality folks: it's 1 game.

If we make the playoffs, and Pittsburgh gets eliminated, our chances increase ten-fold.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:48 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Yup.

I'd also put Mike Smith up there.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:06 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Yup.

I'd also put Mike Smith up there.
Cool whip, Reddi-Whip, any of that stuff (your avatar) in a can is referred to as "Cat-Cream" in my house.

Our female Maine Coon (SheRa) gets one squirt of it every night just before we head upstairs to watch a little TV before bedtime.

She's addicted to cat-cream... vet says although she cannot recommend it, a little shouldn't hurt SheRa.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:53 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketrockets View Post
Getting hit in the nuts doesn't take you out of a game for 25 minutes. I'm thinking its something worse.
I took a lacrosse ball off my cup in high school and was not able to function as a human for the better part of an hour. Would think a cold rubber disc would have the same affect.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:08 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I took a lacrosse ball off my cup in high school and was not able to function as a human for the better part of an hour. Would think a cold rubber disc would have the same affect.
Played goalie in lacrosse in college, and I still play on a men's club team. Dumb position. Don't know why I still do it. Guess I'm just a gluten for punishment (as if being a Skins and Caps fan isn't enough).

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:41 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Played lacrosse in college, was a defenseman. Use to love the coach's comments, "jump in front of the shots and that's one less save our goalie has to make". Doing fast break drills one day in practice, my responsibility was to move towards the attackman that was carrying the ball to make him commit. In this case it was one of our coaches and he committed alright, quick sticked it at our goal but it never made it there as it went through my face cage (spreading the bars) and the next thing I realized, I was on my knees with blood rushing out of my face and the ball rolling around on the inside of my face mask. Luckily only got 4 stitches over the eye.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:20 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Played lacrosse in college, was a defenseman. Use to love the coach's comments, "jump in front of the shots and that's one less save our goalie has to make". Doing fast break drills one day in practice, my responsibility was to move towards the attackman that was carrying the ball to make him commit. In this case it was one of our coaches and he committed alright, quick sticked it at our goal but it never made it there as it went through my face cage (spreading the bars) and the next thing I realized, I was on my knees with blood rushing out of my face and the ball rolling around on the inside of my face mask. Luckily only got 4 stitches over the eye.
I'm laughing here at work, good stuff. I always love the big, bad defensemen who get hit with a shot and roll around like they've been shot. Or better yet, when a shooter winds up to crank a shot and the defense and attack part like Moses and the Red Sea.

I got hit once so hard in the head in college it cracked my helmet. The ball fell right in front of me, I picked it up, threw an outlet pass, and went black; I fell backwards into the net. Next thing I knew I was waking up on the sideline with my trainer asking me the usual, "what's your name," "what day is it," "what's 3+3." Fun times.

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
His decision making is where the liability sits.
That's what I said.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote