HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 CHL Playoff Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 01:09 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Crazy how the OK's take away time and space. Play like an NHL team. Other than V. Rask, the Hitmen really struggled with breaking the press.

How good was Curtis Lazar? Still dont know why he isn't in everyone's top 20 for the draft. Wicked hockey player

Crowd's have been tough in Calgary and apparently Edm also. Very concerning. Personally think there should be closer to 10k not 5k. Hopefully things turn for the better tonight and the rest of the way.
Maybe fans don't like seeing their higher seed teams beatdown lower seeds 9-2, 6-0, etc.?!

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:11 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Was just a question. I didn't get to watch much of the game, only saw the last 10 minutes of the 3rd.
Wasn't meant to be as snarky as it seems to have been interpreted. Just a fundamental flaw with shot clocks.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:13 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Maybe fans don't like seeing their higher seed teams beatdown lower seeds 9-2, 6-0, etc.?!
I personally think the condensed NHL schedule has something to do with it. Most years the Oil Kings / Hitmen would be the only team in town at this point in the season. People that would usually go to both Hitmen/OK and Flames/Oilers games are choosing to just go to the NHL ones. Not easy for people to go to 4+ hockey games a week.

Flames play their last home game tonight, hopefully the city will wake up and support the Hitmen come Tuesday/Wednesday and beyond.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:17 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Crazy how the OK's take away time and space. Play like an NHL team. Other than V. Rask, the Hitmen really struggled with breaking the press.

How good was Curtis Lazar? Still dont know why he isn't in everyone's top 20 for the draft. Wicked hockey player

Crowd's have been tough in Calgary and apparently Edm also. Very concerning. Personally think there should be closer to 10k not 5k. Hopefully things turn for the better tonight and the rest of the way.
Yes the Oil Kings are quite structured. Portland is also very good at pressing, and breaking out with support.

I'm hoping both series' go 7 games, but I'd love to see the rematch of last years championship series.

Agreed on Lazar. My favourite prospect for this draft after Seth Jones. It's not just how he plays either. The way he holds himself in media, the passion he plays with, the enthusiasm. Special kid.

I thought Virtanen was an absolute stud last night, all over the ice. Physically, positionally. Look at the play he makes on the winner too....changes his skating pace absolutely perfectly to avoid the back check and the pressing defender, smoothly splits them (head up the whole time) and creates the easy goal for Brassart.

This kid is truly impressive.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
madmike77

Quote:
I personally think the condensed NHL schedule has something to do with it. Most years the Oil Kings / Hitmen would be the only team in town at this point in the season. People that would usually go to both Hitmen/OK and Flames/Oilers games are choosing to just go to the NHL ones. Not easy for people to go to 4+ hockey games a week.

Flames play their last home game tonight, hopefully the city will wake up and support the Hitmen come Tuesday/Wednesday and beyond.
Again - not sure the Hitmen will have universal support in Calgary because of Brossoit. Plenty of Flames fans will likely be cheering for Edmonton - as odd as that may seem.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Shots smots....if they're coming from the outside and hitting the goalie in the chest, all they do is give the road team another whistle to quiet the crowd.

Game control isn't about shot clock, it's about tempo....I imagine Edmonton didn't feel like they owned the game, like pumpkinbomb is suggesting.

I watched it start to finish....before Cheek's goal, Edmonton looked absolutely listless.

Could hear a pin drop in Rexall. It was a pretty low-event road game, exactly what Calgary was probably looking to do.

I watched the game as well and completely disagree.. the Oil Kings dominated this game. Calgary must have scored on most of their chances.. they stole Game 1. Driedger was the difference.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 04:47 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post

I watched the game as well and completely disagree.. the Oil Kings dominated this game. Calgary must have scored on most of their chances.. they stole Game 1. Driedger was the difference.
Fair enough.

I guess I'm out numbered. I just don't feel like a high volume of shots shows anywhere close to domination. Calgary played a perfect road game.

Oil Kings were lucky to get to OT.

My biggest issue is where people are suggesting Calgary wasn't winning puck battles.

Hope it's another good game tonight

Old
04-19-2013, 05:01 PM
JetsHomer

First game of the Barrie - Belville will be on sportsnet tonight if anyone wants to watch.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Brewster

Quote:

Should be around 12 000 tonight at Rexall.

Possesion wise, the Oil Kings dominated the Hitmen yesterday. The poster that said the split was 80/20 in favour of Edmonton wasn't exaggerating by much. However, the Hitmen did a fantastic job of deflecting pucks out of play and breaking the flow of the game, and did have the edge in grade A chances for the first half of the game.

The Kings should win tonight, especially if they bring the intenstiy they had in overtime.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:25 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Refereeing is the big story tonight. All the little slashes that were permitted last night, were called tonight.

13 PP's thru two.

Glad the series looks like its going to be even.

Bad blood is boiling...

Wonder if Virtanen gets suspended for his kneeing major on Corbett.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:39 PM
soothsayer

vCash: 50
lol aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Calgary turtles when challenged. What a surprise. Stick a fork in em.

soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:40 PM
PumpkinBomb

This series is crazy; Calgary is broken.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:42 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Funny is I made my post with 10-12 minutes left in the game and there were like 50 PIM's after that.

Crazy game.

Poor discipline late by Calgary, but the officiating was pretty weak all night.

Good for Edmonton to finally make them pay. Only took 10 PP's to get their PP warmed up. It's humming now.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
6-0 Oil Kings.. 50 shots on net..

Series tied 1-1

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:52 PM
BigD66

Calgary imploded and the ref inserted himself into the game way too much. Should have been a lot closer of a game.

BigD66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:56 PM
StringerBell

Lot of soft calls tonight that did nothing to control the game. Pretty disappointing game to watch for an impartial fan.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:32 AM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Calgary had more than a few bonehead plays, but when you have three guys in the box, calling a little slash in front of the net is unnecessary.

Anyone that know me knows that I HATE games influenced by a bad penalty or two. Edmonton won this game. I am hoping that they can let the boys play and we can see who the better team is in a best of 5.

Assuming Corbett will be missing time, Virtanen is almost gaurenteed to be suspended.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:47 AM
timekeep

Calgary played like they were Hitmen, they were very undisciplined and will need to stay out the box if they are going to win. Ref's played a role but kept it under control which this series going to need.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:16 AM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
6-0 Oil Kings.. 50 shots on net..

Series tied 1-1
Probably fair to also mention they had 26 shots through 2 and were 0-10 on the PP.

They went 4 for 4 on the PP in the 3rd and had 26 shots, spending most of the last 10 minutes on the man advantage, 5 on 3 for most.

I wish there wasn't so much time off between these games. It's going to be a good long series.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Calgary had more than a few bonehead plays, but when you have three guys in the box, calling a little slash in front of the net is unnecessary.

Anyone that know me knows that I HATE games influenced by a bad penalty or two. Edmonton won this game. I am hoping that they can let the boys play and we can see who the better team is in a best of 5.

Assuming Corbett will be missing time, Virtanen is almost gaurenteed to be suspended.
I agree.

Lost in all of this penalty talk was the fact that Brossoit had a very solid game. Not tested too often and hardly at all in the third, but came up with big saves on a pair of two on ones and a Calgary breakaway.

One other player that impressed me was Keegan Lowe. Vastly improved over last year.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:34 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:

Calgary is playing to their strength, which is intimidation/physicality. If the refs dont call a tight game, they get away with it and it favours the Hitmen, conversely, if the refs call a tight game you get what we see last night.

I dont think Calgary has the depth of scoring and/or offense to hang with the Oil Kings playing it clean. They have to bring it Broadstreet Bullies style and hope their very good defensive game will keep them close until they can take advantage of a turnover and win that way.

Should be a great series whatever happens the rest of the way, as most of us thought it would be.

The officiating in the dub this year has been absolutely atrocious though, not just in this series, but all year long.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:56 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Calgary is playing to their strength, which is intimidation/physicality. If the refs dont call a tight game, they get away with it and it favours the Hitmen, conversely, if the refs call a tight game you get what we see last night.

I dont think Calgary has the depth of scoring and/or offense to hang with the Oil Kings playing it clean. They have to bring it Broadstreet Bullies style and hope their very good defensive game will keep them close until they can take advantage of a turnover and win that way.

Should be a great series whatever happens the rest of the way, as most of us thought it would be.

The officiating in the dub this year has been absolutely atrocious though, not just in this series, but all year long.
It's weird really. The Hitmen are pretty much mirroring Edmonton's style in terms of defensive zone coverage. Both teams are living and dying by that high forward in the offensive zone. When you see that high man pinch, that's where all the chances are coming. Hitmen don't have the speed through the neutral zone and their defenseman are looking really clumsy with the reduced time and space.

With how close the games have been you would like to see another good 60 minutes of 5-on-5 (for the most part) like in game 1. I really hope they don't try to make up for the lob-sided penalties in game 2 by screwing over Edm in Game 3. Edmonton seems to be the stronger all-around team, but the Hitmen have a talented bunch and can definitely win some games if they stick to their game plan.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Tripod

Halifax wins 6-4

Drouins with 5 points
MacKinnon with 3g-1A

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:55 PM

Fricking Drakkar.... very very physical and intense. Deep team, tight defense, hot goaltender. Last year's Memorial Cup winning coach too. Gonna be tough to comeback from 0-2.

GO ARMADA !!!

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:21 PM
RJQuack

A competitive game!

Moose win 6-4.
Drakkar win 2-1

MacKinnon hat-trick and this by Drouin...

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote