HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 01:36 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Yeah good point lets wait 4 more years before wnjoying some good perfomances from Price. Meanwhile forget any stanley cups.
Really the only Price fans left are trolls. If hou think it will take 10 years for a goalie to achieve a level where he will perform at his best you don't give him the starting job now you let him develop in the minors until hes ready for the big league...any person with some brain will have figured that out

Just admit the mistake they did with Price by giving him the Throne before he even earned it. Stop making excuses.
You REALLY think that Carey Price's current performances are the only thing standing in the way of the Habs winning the Stanely Cup?

Come on man

Old
04-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious HABit View Post
over-hyped first round draft pick who the fan-base was made to believe was elite.

If halak was drafted 5th overall we'd be jumping on his D. Imagine price as the 271st pick? We would't care.
Quote:
Yeah good point lets wait 4 more years before wnjoying some good perfomances from Price. Meanwhile forget any stanley cups.

Really the only Price fans left are trolls. If hou think it will take 10 years for a goalie to achieve a level where he will perform at his best you don't give him the starting job now you let him develop in the minors until hes ready for the big league...any person with some brain will have figured that out

Just admit the mistake they did with Price by giving him the Throne before he even earned it. Stop making excuses.
Some of the "chicken little" Habs fans I referred to in an earlier post.

You people invent your petty little arguements of BS and stand on your little soap boxes shouting about the end of the world. Do you have nothing better to do then troll real Hab fans?

Old
04-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Can anyone explain why it's relevant for Carey Price to be known as 'elite'?

Plenty of teams have won Cups with goalies who can be considered 'not elite' and plenty of goalies who are considered 'elite' have never won Cups.

So in the end, why care about some ridiculous catch phrase that fans/media like to toss around to make it seem like they really know what they're talking about.

I couldn't careless if Carey Price is elite...Carey Price just needs to play like we all know he can, and if that happens, he's as good as any goalie in the league.

But of course, we all know...you need more than a goalie standing on his head to win a Stanley Cup, many things have to be rolling right for any team to be successful.
Because of the commitment the Habs have made to Price. You're right that plenty of team have won it all with non-elite goalies, but Montreal has decided not to go the Niemi route. The cap space, term, draft pick and games allotted to Price have been/are an impediment to adding another goalie and other good players. Which is fine, as long as he performs at an elite level.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:54 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Because of the commitment the Habs have made to Price. You're right that plenty of team have won it all with non-elite goalies, but Montreal has decided not to go the Niemi route. The cap space, term, draft pick and games allotted to Price have been/are an impediment to adding another goalie and other good players. Which is fine, as long as he performs at an elite level.
Well we might just have to wait until the blue-line is fixed. Because no elite goalie is doing anything behind the D we've had the last three games.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:29 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Terrible team D.

Which is what you get with a Drewiske-Beaulieu pairing. Desharnais at center and Bouillon in your top 4.
Not to really say DD is any good in defense, but considering he was a +2 in the game, his contribution to the loss was rather minimal if any at least from a results point of view.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Some of the "chicken little" Habs fans I referred to in an earlier post.

You people invent your petty little arguements of BS and stand on your little soap boxes shouting about the end of the world. Do you have nothing better to do then troll real Hab fans?
And what exactly makes you more of a "real" habs fan than me?

pfff

Old
04-18-2013, 02:39 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Price is a thoroughbred Gainey said so! Seriously the guy has size athleticism and mad positional skills but is in a funk right now -- got to believe he'll bounce back.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Well unlike a lot of people believe, people in hockey know that Carey Price has accomplished quite a bit at his age, at his position and especially, in the market he plays in. To keep a guy like Carey Price given those circumstances, the team had to make a long term committment and they did. The Habs will always have to pay whoever plays goalie for them a ton of money when it's time to sign them to a long term deal, there isn't a more scrutinzed position in the NHL.

Like I said, this 'elite' vs 'non-elite' nonsense is just that...nonsense. It doesn't really impact anything. It's another in a long line of over-used buzzwords fans/media like to use (along with over/under rated, overpaid, etc) that really don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Carey Price is a very good goalie, in fact, i'd argue that most of the goalies in the NHL are capable of backstopping any team that's built properly, to a Stanley Cup. It's the position that's evolved the most over the years in the NHL. There aren't many terrible starting goalies these days.

But I don't believe any one goalie can win his team a Stanley Cup on his own...it's one thing to have an 'elite' goalie, it's a whole other to have an 'elite' team. (Or I should say, a team built well enough to compete & win a Stanley Cup).

Old
04-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Perrah

Quote:

2010-2011 didnt earn anything for him?

Old
04-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Carey Cost*

Good performance from Carey Price tonight. He got very lucky in a few occasions but that's cool I can live with that.

SV%: .941 Very hot.

I hope he keeps it up.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
That save he made when he was stretched out and had right foot on post, then lifted it to stop stamkos I think, maybe st. louis, was ridiculous.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:05 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
That save he made when he was stretched out and had right foot on post, then lifted it to stop stamkos I think, maybe st. louis, was ridiculous.
Indeed. It better be on the TSN highlight reel right after Tavares's goals. Need the leaf fans to remember what their chirping brings karma-wise.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

People will have to slow down on his "insane positional play". We do notice that for a big guy Price moves way too much in front of his net. And don't believe me....as much as you think he's an idiot and a bad coach, we could at least probably believe what Patrick Roy has to say on that subject. And he also believes he moves way too much for a big goalie. And that's not solely based on yesterday or his bad stretch. It's incredible that it wasn't fixed yet.

Some of the incredible saves he made yesterday, would have been put on the "Those were incredible saves but that's because he's average positionnaly and had to stretch out" if his name wasn't Price. Yet, he made those saves and that's exactly what he needed to his game going....or so we hope.

Price do have his flaws. From his movement, to him being on his knees too often, to his puck tracking, to him not using his stick well enough to protect the 5-hole. Still work to be done. But he's 26. So it either means, it's already late to work on everything....or still young for a goalie. Take your pick.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:58 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
People will have to slow down on his "insane positional play". We do notice that for a big guy Price moves way too much in front of his net. And don't believe me....as much as you think he's an idiot and a bad coach, we could at least probably believe what Patrick Roy has to say on that subject. And he also believes he moves way too much for a big goalie. And that's not solely based on yesterday or his bad stretch. It's incredible that it wasn't fixed yet.

Some of the incredible saves he made yesterday, would have been put on the "Those were incredible saves but that's because he's average positionnaly and had to stretch out" if his name wasn't Price. Yet, he made those saves and that's exactly what he needed to his game going....or so we hope.

Price do have his flaws. From his movement, to him being on his knees too often, to his puck tracking, to him not using his stick well enough to protect the 5-hole. Still work to be done. But he's 26. So it either means, it's already late to work on everything....or still young for a goalie. Take your pick.
The flaws you mention aren't flaws he has constantly and hasn't fixed - they're things that happens when he and/or the team are off their game. When he's focussed and in the zone, which is more often than not, he in an incredibly hard goalie to beat. Lately he's just had to put the pieces back together.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Habnot

Quote:

Agreed. Patrick Roy last night made a very good point. Even though Price had a good game, you can still see that Price is in a funk and anxious in nets and that manifests itself in him being overly aggressive.

When he is on his game he is very confident positionally and you don't see him over committing.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:17 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Agreed. Patrick Roy last night made a very good point. Even though Price had a good game, you can still see that Price is in a funk and anxious in nets and that manifests itself in him being overly aggressive.

When he is on his game he is very confident positionally and you don't see him over committing.
You're going to have to wait until he gets a few wins in before that comes back. When you're in a slump, you just go out and forget the technique, you just try and stop the puck. Everything else starts to return. Over-thinking and over-analyzing is actually the worst thing for a goalie to do, you've got to be in the present moment, react, and let your practice habits come through as reflexes.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Mats86

I think Price is overrated. Price is a main cog for Habs....but 20 something in save percentage is just not going to cut it. At 6.5 million he needs to be top 10- top 5 goalie in league

Old
04-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I think Price is overrated. Price is a main cog for Habs....but 20 something in save percentage is just not going to cut it. At 6.5 million he needs to be top 10- top 5 goalie in league
Price could be top 65 and people would still say hes a top 10 regardless

But he did play a good game yesterday regardless he was lucky.. he took some chances and was more involved in the game...thats what I want to see from Carey Price.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
The flaws you mention aren't flaws he has constantly and hasn't fixed - they're things that happens when he and/or the team are off their game. When he's focussed and in the zone, which is more often than not, he in an incredibly hard goalie to beat. Lately he's just had to put the pieces back together.
Don't necessarily agrees. Even in his great moments, I think that at best he doesn't move as much. But his puck tracking was often mentioned years ago. His stick on the ice in butterfly position was probably mentioned in Juniors. Something you are better at when you're confidence is that you confront the opponent. Your in front of your red paint and cut the angles. When you lack confidence, you're too deep. So THAT, I would agree that it's solely about confidence. He wouldn't have the record he has if he was always too deep. But him on his knees too often, was often noticed even in good moments. Just that he's big so even on his knees he covers a whole lot. Yet, when you add a bad D, well the opponents have more time to pick the corners and he's more beatable.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Plante

Quote:
Good performance from Carey Price tonight. He got very lucky in a few occasions but that's cool I can live with that.

SV%: .941 Very hot.

I hope he keeps it up.
Extremely vocal about goaltending and not knowledgable about goaltending.

You're like the fox news of the Habs board.

Old
04-19-2013, 07:10 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Don't necessarily agrees. Even in his great moments, I think that at best he doesn't move as much. But his puck tracking was often mentioned years ago. His stick on the ice in butterfly position was probably mentioned in Juniors. Something you are better at when you're confidence is that you confront the opponent. Your in front of your red paint and cut the angles. When you lack confidence, you're too deep. So THAT, I would agree that it's solely about confidence. He wouldn't have the record he has if he was always too deep. But him on his knees too often, was often noticed even in good moments. Just that he's big so even on his knees he covers a whole lot. Yet, when you add a bad D, well the opponents have more time to pick the corners and he's more beatable.
His goaltending coach is telling him to go on his knees. Trust me. When you see Price warming up in his net, getting down in his half-butterfly position against the post and measuring the depth and push-off angles. It's something he is working on in practice.

Old
04-19-2013, 07:12 PM
dutchy29

Unless your Pat Roy, Brodeur, etc. you won't get consistency year after year after year, or even consistency during an entire career, Price does have moments of brilliance as did Theodore, Halak, Hackett. But until he puts it all together in a long playoff run their will still be people scrutinizing his play and overall talent.
The question is on a good hockey team does Price have the ability to win a cup? I believe he does. So did the organization, and he will get the shot to do this year. Saying that without Emelin our Defense looks very average. Markov and Boullion are getting fatigued and should be rested before playoffs start. Boulllion is not a top 4 guy. and the whole flow of the game is changed without Emelin, when opposition don't have to worry about a frieght train coming at them in the neutral zone, they play a lot more aggressive. If Price can elevate his game to make up for the loss of Emelin and we get Diaz back, I think we could win a series or two, but without Emelin our chances at a cup or small IMO.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
Extremely vocal about goaltending and not knowledgable about goaltending.

You're like the fox news of the Habs board.
I'm sorry I don't have a Major in goaltending as you do.

I was just a goalie my entire life...

Unless you state exactly what makes you think that Price is such a god, your a troll cuz all you do is say that i'm wrong and you bring no arguments to the table to back you up.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Danadiens

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't have a Major in goaltending as you do.

I was just a goalie my entire life...

Unless you state exactly what makes you think that Price is such a god, your a troll cuz all you do is say that i'm wrong and you bring no arguments to the table to back you up.
Oh the irony

Old
04-19-2013, 10:06 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

Typically, goalies are overly criticized for losses and overly lauded for wins depending on how good the team is in front of them. Price, nor Budjai should not carry the entire responsibility for the Habs 3 game losing streak where they gave up 5, 7 and 6 goals. However, I am often critical of Price because he goes down way too early at times and gives away the top part of the net. Its not just him as this is the style of many goalies in the NHL these days. I do not like this style. Perhaps the worst for this is James Reimer of the Leafs. The guy is 6-4 and goes down way too early and gives away the top of the net. When Price is playing well, he stays in the athletic position for a split second longer and reacts to the shot.

Closed Thread