HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
We should target Jack Johnson and Grant Clitsome. Our D needs an overhaul.
Columbus isn't going to just give away JJ for crap, they traded Jeff Carter away to acquire him. Who would the Habs move?

Old
04-19-2013, 03:26 PM
PKarey Plekoretty

Might be on the wrong side of 30, but due to their style of play I'd like us to go after UFAs Douglas Murray and/or Robyn Regher

Old
04-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Eller would be the most attractive for Chicago. Unless we get another center to play with Galchenyuk (not DD) in the following years coming back (Danault/Terravainen), I don't think Eller would be traded. Bournival's the closest prospect we have to Eller's skill set and I don't think he could fill the hole Eller would leave.
Quote:
He Who Must Not Be Named in any trade discussions?
You were asking about who would fill the hole Eller would leave and I think Galchnyuk will do fine, you do know we drafted him as a centre, don't you?

Old
04-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Interlagos Blue
You Had ONE JOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
We should target Jack Johnson and Grant Clitsome. Our D needs an overhaul.
I'd get the guy just for his name.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
You were asking about who would fill the hole Eller would leave and I think Galchnyuk will do fine, you do know we drafted him as a centre, don't you?
"Unless we get another player to play with Galchenyuk"

Of course I know he was drafted as a center. As a future #1 offensive center. Eller fills our future #2 defensive center spot once Plekanec retires/gets traded.

I thought you were saying he'd be more attractive than Desharnais or Eller for Chicago, thus the He Who Must Not Be Named in trade discussion

Old
04-19-2013, 03:45 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Eller would be the most attractive for Chicago. Unless we get another center to play with Galchenyuk (not DD) in the following years coming back (Danault/Terravainen), I don't think Eller would be traded. Bournival's the closest prospect we have to Eller's skill set and I don't think he could fill the hole Eller would leave.
The only way we should trade Eller is if we get a crazy good return for him. He does not need to be given away.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:46 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

- Let go of one of Diaz or Gorges for quality assets. Bring in a quality d-man with some size if possible. (Keith Aulie/Doug Murray/Mark Stuart)
- Bring in a quality 4th line guy who plays the same kind of game as Prust. (Carcillo)
- If you lose Ryder, replace him with a big aggressive body. Either Clowe or Clarkson will do in that case. If you can't get neither of them, go after Stalberg or Bickell.
- Try to trade one of Nashville's or Calgary's 2nd rounder with your own 1st to move up in the 15-20 first picks.

Projected, realistic lineup:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta (tough minutes line)
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher (soft minutes line)
Bourque - Desharnais - Bickell (two physical wingers with a smart center)
Moen - Prust - Carcillo (grinding line)

Markov - Emelin (tough assignments pair)
Diaz/Gorges - Subban (Subban and the other guy)
Bouillon - Murray (stay-at-home, physical pair)

Price
Budaj

The year after, Beaulieu and Tinordi take the spots left by Markov and Bouillon. Re-sign Markov if Beaulieu still isn't 100% ready to be a solid PP QB with good puck-moving skills.
Gionta gets out, and we give a chance to Collberg or Kristo to take his spot. You try to move Desharnais for assets and get some prospects/picks out of him.

Realistically, our lineup would look like;

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Collberg/Kristo (by then, I trust Galchenyuk to be a 70 points centerman, Pacioretty should still be good for his 60+ points. Kristo/Collberg should be good for some production)
UFA/Trade - Plekanec - Gallagher (A UFA or a trade bringing a winger capable of 50 points. Plekanec will still be Plekanec. Gallagher should be a 55 points forward by then)
Bourque - Eller - Bickell (Bourque gets lesser assignments and around 30 points, but still is a two-way threat. Eller is a 40 points center. Bickell is a physical winger with potential for 35-40 points)
Moen - Prust - Carcillo (All grinding line)

Markov - Emelin (replace Markov with Beaulieu at some point in the season IF Beaulieu's progression is consistent)
Tinordi - Subban (great pairing. Complementing each other perfecly.
Gorges - Murray (Shutdown pairing. If Murray is gone or regresses too much, try Dietz.)

Price
Budaj

Last edited by HiggsBozon: 04-19-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 03:46 PM
TheGoalJudge

I wouldn't mind Scuderi or Lydman on a 1 or 2 year deal if they come cheap. Fistric or Rozsival also.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Draft

Any interest in J.Bernier offer sheet or trade? Sign him for 3.3mil and we only give up our 2nd round pick. LA will have trouble fitting everyone under the cap as it is, might be able to get away with it. If we sign Bernier and he happens to be excellent, we could trade Bernier or Price for big returns. Might have to be done by trade as I don't believe Bernier would sign an offer sheet to play behind another #1 goalie.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
- If you lose Ryder, replace him with a big aggressive body. Either Clowe or Clarkson will do in that case. If you can't get neither of them, go after Stalberg or Bickell.
None of those compensate for the loss in scoring. Horton would be a worthy gamble IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
I wouldn't mind Scuderi or Lydman on a 1 or 2 year deal if they come cheap. Fistric or Rozsival also.
Leopold would probably tops in terms of potential FA targets. 2-way game with some PP potential would help our D and our 2nd PP unit.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:06 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
None of those compensate for the loss in scoring. Horton would be a worthy gamble IMO.

Leopold would probably tops in terms of potential FA targets. 2-way game with some PP potential would help our D and our 2nd PP unit.
We might lose some scoring, but I still predict Eller, Galchenyuk and Gallagher will progress enough to compensate for the 20-25 points those guys would have less than Ryder.

Eller should be good for 40 points next season.
Galchenyuk should be good for 50, just like Gallagher.
Then you add, let's say, Bickell, who can get 40.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:25 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Ryan Murray, CBJ.

Would likely cost a fair bit (Eller + Leblanc+ Montreal 2nd) but why settle for second-rate past their prime players.
Oh ya I bet Columbus is just itching to get that 2nd rounder and a near bust prospect.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:34 PM
pcamp

Id say we would be in pretty good shape if we can acquire a big body 3rd liner who can score and a 5th defenseman who can hit.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Draft

Frozenice and I kind of touched on the subject of the rebuild earlier in the thread. Aren't people sick of barely competing (this year's an anomaly), not really having a chance at the cup and having boring teams to watch?

Why not trade Plekanec while his value is high? Why not trade big assets for impact players or prospects? I'm not necessarily talking about tanking, that's miserable, I'm talking about shedding excess fat off the roster and improving key positions for the future. Why not strive for a dynasty?

*** Trading Plekanec is just a drastic option.
*** I don't mean trade all these players all at once.

Players/positions we can improve or trade for value in packages:
Plekanec/DD
Gorges
Emelin/Diaz
Gionta/Markov
Moen
D-prospects

Players to target:
@Frozenice- Murray
Terravainen
Yakupov
Demers
Niederreiter
Burmistrov
Myers
2013 Top-5

These are all potential pick-ups from teams that need assets that we have or have been rumoured to be available, all with varying degrees of usefulness. All have huge upside. There's risk involved.

Last edited by Draft: 04-19-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Dagistitsyn

Said it before, I'll say it again. Moving Plekanec would be a stupid, terrible mistake.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Tusk

I know this is impossible and I won't make any proposals for him, but man, Tim Gleason is exactly what the blue line is missing. Was really hoping he was gonna go to Free Agency. One of my favourite non-Habs. Habs need someone in the Lyle Odelein mode bad.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Said it before, I'll say it again. Moving Plekanec would be a stupid, terrible mistake.
A stupid, terrible mistake 2-3 years from now or for next year? If he returns a guy like Seabrook in a trade.... we still have 3 good centerman. If Plekanec was traded, it would be for a big return and big improvement in another area. Not ideal but not stupid or terrible when you look at the future of the team.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
A stupid, terrible mistake 2-3 years from now or for next year? If he returns a guy like Seabrook in a trade.... we still have 3 good centerman. If Plekanec was traded, it would be for a big return and big improvement in another area. Not ideal but not stupid or terrible when you look at the future of the team.
You don't trade your best player unless you are going full rebuild. We don't need to do that as there are going to be guys available at low cost because of cap issues.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:13 PM
habsrule22

one player we should target is vanek from buffalo, they will doing a rebuilt and miller and vanek will probably move this summer.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Would not trade Pleks. DD and or Eller would be offered up.

Bergevin needs to start shopping Gionta after the season though.
I'm not sure we should move any centers at this point, aside from maybe DD.
If Eller can keep up his progression and become around a 60pt player (he's on a scoring pace of a 50pt player over a full year this season without PP time or two top 6 wingers), then having Galchenyuk-Eller-Plek down the middle is seriously interesting. Not sure I'm ready to let go of this.

Imagine if Galchenyuk becomes that franchise center, scoring at ppg pace, with Eller at 60ish pts, and Plekanec chipping in 40-50 as a 3rd center, that would be amazing.

Quote:
We can't trade Plekanec now. Galchenyuk hasn't even played center yet, Eller isn't even used in a top 6 role, and DD is struggling this year. Nobody has come close to being capable of filling Plekanec's role.
Seabrook would be an interesting addition, but not for Plekanec.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
You don't trade your best player unless you are going full rebuild. We don't need to do that as there are going to be guys available at low cost because of cap issues.
-Subban is our best player IMO
-You can trade your best player when he isn't in the top-30/40 best players in the league and you have depth
-We are in a rebuild/retool
-If you wanted high-end, impactful players/prospects you would need to do that or something of similar value
-You're missing/not understanding the purpose or message behind the post, I don't want to trade Plekanec, it was just one of many suggestions

Old
04-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm not sure we should move any centers at this point, aside from maybe DD.
If Eller can keep up his progression and become around a 60pt player (he's on a scoring pace of a 50pt player over a full year this season without PP time or two top 6 wingers), then having Galchenyuk-Eller-Plek down the middle is seriously interesting. Not sure I'm ready to let go of this.

Imagine if Galchenyuk becomes that franchise center, scoring at ppg pace, with Eller at 60ish pts, and Plekanec chipping in 40-50 as a 3rd center, that would be amazing.

We can't trade Plekanec now. Galchenyuk hasn't even played center yet, Eller isn't even used in a top 6 role, and DD is struggling this year. Nobody has come close to being capable of filling Plekanec's role.
Seabrook would be an interesting addition, but not for Plekanec.
Really don't care about the Plekanec situation. If he's traded for a big return/overpayment, I'm happy. If he's not, I'm happy. Please consider looking over the OP for what the post actually meant

To paraphrase I was suggesting to trade current roster players (depth) for impact prospects/RFAs/picks from teams that would be looking for said roster players so we can compete in the future and continue with our rebuild.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:15 PM
yianik

In terms of the D we have 3 PMD in Markov, PK and Diaz, with Beaulieu as a prospect. I think it makes sense to have 3 guys capable of moving the puck and you usually don't get the complete package in one D-man ( size, big hitter, strong defensively ) and so you need guys to complement. Gorges is a usually solid defensive player, Emelin is a wrecking ball, and Cubes is a filler waiting for the young guys to earn his spot over the course of the year. Tinordi is our hope for the monster sized big hitting, crease clearing D-man we crave. Tinordi is some time away from this, he weighs just over 200 lbs and needs to add weight and strength as well as needing to think playing positionally smart before he stars unloading big hits, where you can be thrown out of position.
We talk about adding a top 3 or 4 guy but that likely means a 4 year contract on an older UFA guy and that blocks out younger guys and besides Nathan B and Tinordi there are lots of other guys from whom a guy or 2 might be able to play in the NHL.
While I really like Diaz hes a UFA after next year and if he plays like he was, hell be looking at $4M a year. If the Habs don't want to pay him that kind of money then you have a very tradeable guy and you open up a spot for another big, punishing hitter strong defensive kind of guy, that maybe you trade for. If MB hangs on to Diaz then I don't see adding a signifant player on the backend because I think Markov ( less Ice-time though ) PK, Gorges, Emelin ( hes UFA after next year and need to sign him, about $3.5M -$4.0M ), stick past next year. Then you have the young guys.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:17 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
Id say we would be in pretty good shape if we can acquire a big body 3rd liner who can score and a 5th defenseman who can hit.
Regarding the forward, either Clowe or Clarkson would do.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:23 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Frozenice and I kind of touched on the subject of the rebuild earlier in the thread. Aren't people sick of barely competing (this year's an anomaly), not really having a chance at the cup and having boring teams to watch?

Why not trade Plekanec while his value is high? Why not trade big assets for impact players or prospects? I'm not necessarily talking about tanking, that's miserable, I'm talking about shedding excess fat off the roster and improving key positions for the future. Why not strive for a dynasty?

*** Trading Plekanec is just a drastic option.
*** I don't mean trade all these players all at once.

Players/positions we can improve or trade for value in packages:
Plekanec/DD
Gorges
Emelin/Diaz
Gionta/Markov
Moen
D-prospects

Players to target:
@Frozenice- Murray
Terravainen
Yakupov
Demers
Niederreiter
Burmistrov
Myers
2013 Top-5

These are all potential pick-ups from teams that need assets that we have or have been rumoured to be available, all with varying degrees of usefulness. All have huge upside. There's risk involved.

There's nothing on your list of tradeable assets, I'd want for 20 yr old Nino.

While the isles do need a 1st line rw for Tavares (Boyes is too soft), their 2nd line was strong in the last 20 games of 2011-2012 and has been their best line for the last 5 weeks.I doubt they break up that Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line.

Moulson-Tavares-???
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo

Closed Thread