HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Houston to Des Moines ?? Or Sioux Falls, SD? UPD: Iowa Wild approved

Old
04-18-2013, 06:37 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

vCash: 500
Wasn't the Ducks AHL team briefly in Iowa? Didn't that fail?

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:44 PM
MinWild1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Yes, the Iowa Chops, but I think the AHL will finally succeed this time in Des Moines, because of the affiliation with the Wild. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing quite a few hockey fans in Iowa are Wild fans.

MinWild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Yes and No.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:22 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
I'd phrase it differently. There was an AHL team in Des Moines for three years. The first two years it was an affiliate of the Dallas Stars (and was named the Iowa Stars), but not owned by the stars. Then the Stars bought a franchise of their own and put it in Cedar Park (outside Austin), leaving the Des Moines team there, but without an affiliation. So, the owners affiliated with Anaheim for the next season and renamed the team the Iowa Chops.

Then the owners failed financially -- though not necessarily directly related to the failure of the franchise on its own... the franchise was yanked from them when the owners put the team up as collateral for a debt, which is against AHL rules.

So, there was a Ducks-affiliated team in Des Moines, that failed, it wasn't a Ducks-OWNED NHL team. This case has a Wild-OWNED NHL team in Des Moines, so the Wild will be both supplying the players _and_ running the business operations -- which wasn't the case with the I-Stars/Chops.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
I'd phrase it differently. There was an AHL team in Des Moines for three years. The first two years it was an affiliate of the Dallas Stars (and was named the Iowa Stars), but not owned by the stars. Then the Stars bought a franchise of their own and put it in Cedar Park (outside Austin), leaving the Des Moines team there, but without an affiliation. So, the owners affiliated with Anaheim for the next season and renamed the team the Iowa Chops.

Then the owners failed financially -- though not necessarily directly related to the failure of the franchise on its own... the franchise was yanked from them when the owners put the team up as collateral for a debt, which is against AHL rules.

So, there was a Ducks-affiliated team in Des Moines, that failed, it wasn't a Ducks-OWNED NHL team. This case has a Wild-OWNED NHL team in Des Moines, so the Wild will be both supplying the players _and_ running the business operations -- which wasn't the case with the I-Stars/Chops.
Actually, Hans, that was not the case. Dallas did not buy a franchise and move it. They were given that "temporary" franchise but i do not recall if that was before or after Iowa had theirs suspended by the league.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:27 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Actually, Hans, that was not the case. Dallas did not buy a franchise and move it. They were given that "temporary" franchise but i do not recall if that was before or after Iowa had theirs suspended by the league.
I am pretty sure that it was before. The talk was maybe 31 teams IIRC.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:52 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Courious to see what logo and colors and jerseys look like

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:01 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Percentage of capacity, more than anything, contributes to season ticket sales. That means getting money sooner, that means being ahead of bills instead of behind, perhaps it means money gaining interest as well.

Here's the thing: is that $25 to $30 a season ticket price?

Your description sounds like it's right in the wheel well of the Portland Winterhawks. I'd guess the average price sold is around $25 (including season seats), averaged almost 7,000 this season, beer's at $9. Problem is, how much of a cut does the NBA hosts get?
I see what you are saying about the percent capacity.

Yep there is hardly a discount at all for season tickets, the amount I quoted was ST prices.

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:02 AM
IceCapsFanNL

I should add I am truly sorry for the Houston fans, I've been there.

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:11 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
Courious to see what logo and colors and jerseys look like
If I had to take a guess, their colors are going to be red and green and their logo would have some basis on this one...

04-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I am pretty sure that it was before. The talk was maybe 31 teams IIRC.
That's what I though because at the time Edmonton's was still dormant so this meant 31 franchise "licenses" were out there.

From the Franchise History thread "Texas Stars (2009-Current; granted a conditional franchise for 2009-2010 season)"

Some Links
Dallas Ends Iowa Affiliation

Dallas Affiliation with Iowa

Old
04-19-2013, 05:19 PM
BlueAero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 75 View Post
The highest level of ice hockey being played in Houston next season will be high school. Unless Les Alexander decides he wants to run that out of town, too.
Boy ain't that the truth! Man, I feel like I've been kicked in the gut. I'm an Aeros fan since their rebirth 19 years ago and I'll always be an Aeros fan. Les Alexander is the man who killed hockey in Houston. Disgraceful....his greed knows no bounds. I hope OKC destroys the Rockets in 4 straight blowouts.

BlueAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:01 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
I was avoiding going into that particular confusing detail -- the T-Stars played in Cedar Park with a "conditional" membership for the first season, that condition being that they agree to purchase a _real_ franchise ASAP. And guess what? They did so during the playoffs of that first season, purchasing the Chops:

http://www.texasstarshockey.com/arti...s-cedar-park-l

Quote:
Cedar Park, TX – The Texas Stars, in conjunction with the American Hockey League and Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, announced Tuesday that the American Hockey League Board of Governors has unanimously approved the purchase of the Iowa Chops inactive franchise by Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, owners of the Texas Stars.

“On behalf of the Hicks family, we are proud to officially become a member of the American Hockey League”, said Executive Vice President of Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, Mack Hicks. “We have a great base of hockey fans here in Central Texas and this purchase reaffirms our commitment to the sport and to the Austin area. The Texas Stars are just one element in our continuing efforts to bring the highest quality entertainment to the Cedar Park Center.”
The purchase brings the Texas Stars to full membership in the AHL and satisfies the conditions of the limited membership granted to Hicks Cedar Park for the 2009-10 season.
So yes, Dallas bought and moved a franchise to Cedar Park -- so I'm right... but yes, that was a year after the T-Stars started playing, so you're right too.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Aero 75

Looks like Sugar Land, Tx. (30 miles SW of downtown Houston) is possibly in line for an NAHL team for next season. Certainly not the Aeros, but they should do well in Sugar Land.

http://blog.chron.com/hockeystop/201...-team-to-town/

Aero 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Aero 75

Houston Business Journal article on the Aeros move. Surprising to read Tulsa, Ok. and Wichita, Ks. were also considered as possible locations, before chosing Des Moines. Never saw anything where either one of those cities could land the Aeros, but Tulsa has an impressive facility at BOK Center, and Wichita has always supported their teams, so why not. First I've heard they were in discussions to build a NEW facility in Sugar Land, Tx. Maybe that's where the future Aeros will end up.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/b...ptions-in.html

Aero 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:56 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAero View Post
Boy ain't that the truth! Man, I feel like I've been kicked in the gut. I'm an Aeros fan since their rebirth 19 years ago and I'll always be an Aeros fan. Les Alexander is the man who killed hockey in Houston. Disgraceful....his greed knows no bounds. I hope OKC destroys the Rockets in 4 straight blowouts.
What will it take to get a team back in Houston? Has Alexander ruined it for future potential suitors? Is there another facility besides the Toyota Center that a team can play in?

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:52 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Does anyone here know which number Harding played with in his short condition stint in Houston?

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:28 AM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Does anyone here know which number Harding played with in his short condition stint in Houston?
http://theahl.com/mobile/game-summar...ame_id=1011004

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote