HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Who is the Sharks' biggest rival?

View Poll Results: Who is the Sharks' biggest rival?
Ducks 54 59.34%
Kings 16 17.58%
Coyotes 0 0%
Stars 5 5.49%
Red Wings 5 5.49%
Canucks 11 12.09%
Blackhawks 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-19-2013, 03:54 PM
ramstoria

vCash: 500
No question it's the Ducks.

ramstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 04:00 PM
domon

Themselves.

domon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:06 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I don't consider the Red Wings a rival because they are going back to the east and the games usually aren't very chippy with the exception of a few incidents. Usually a lot of high end skill and good hockey.

The sharks and redwings faced each other 4 times in the playoffs and for a number of years were 2 of the best teams in the conference. Every game against each other prior to this year has been a measuring stick game.

Of course they're rivals... I agree they will stop being one next season but as long as so many of the same players are still on both teams they will be rivals. Just cause neither teams chooses to goon it up over playing great hockey has nothing to do with being rivals. One of the greatest regular season games in sharks history was a couple years ago against the wings.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:07 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
The sharks and redwings faced each other 4 times in the playoffs and for a number of years were 2 of the best teams in the conference. Every game against each other prior to this year has been a measuring stick game.

Of course they're rivals... I agree they will stop being one next season but as long as so many of the same players are still on both teams they will be rivals. Just cause neither teams chooses to goon it up over playing great hockey has nothing to do with being rivals. One of the greatest regular season games in sharks history was a couple years ago against the wings.
I think it was that game we lit up Hasek for 9 goals

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:11 PM
rangerssharks414

I voted for the Red Wings just because of they have met up in the playoffs a few times. I know the Ducks and Kings are in-state rivals, but I feel like the rivalry with Detroit is bigger. Once the Red Wings move to the east next year, I think the Kings will become the biggest rival with the Ducks not far behind.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:18 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
No not that one, it was a 6 to 5 game that was back and forth with great scoring plays. The 9 goal game was a blow out...

Old
04-19-2013, 06:20 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
I voted for the Red Wings just because of they have met up in the playoffs a few times. I know the Ducks and Kings are in-state rivals, but I feel like the rivalry with Detroit is bigger. Once the Red Wings move to the east next year, I think the Kings will become the biggest rival with the Ducks not far behind.
It'll depend on which team plays the cheapest. Kings games aren't typically full of cheap shots. It's why Ducks games are so heated no matter where the teams are in the standings...

Old
04-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Agreed but it wont be anymore because of the move to the East. Right now it would have to be LA/Anaheim. Dallas hasnt made the playoffs in 5 years so I think that rivalry isnt what it used to be. LOL at Coyotes being in the poll. The Blues are a much bigger rival than the Yotes.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Dom-in-ick has-ek ain't what he used to be
ain't what he used to be, ain't what he used to be

ain't what he used to be no-more

Tried to get that one going at the tank a couple times... failed miserably--I sounded good though

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:

Usually the most bitter of rivalries are started over something physical. It was more of a measuring stick for San Jose as opposed to Detroit since they were where San Jose wanted to be. I am well aware of the game a few years ago...i was there and it was awesome.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
ain't what he used to be, ain't what he used to be

ain't what he used to be no-more

Tried to get that one going at the tank a couple times... failed miserably--I sounded good though
Dominick canthakit.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
It's probably the Ducks right now. The Blues have been a healthy rivalry for the playoffs for a good while. The Wings are probably the biggest rivals to the team themselves. If we get the Blues again this year, we could see that rivalry renewed as it didn't get too bad last year but it heated up pretty well. It certainly was no Pronger-Blues-Sharks playoff rivalry though.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:34 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Red Wings used to be. Now it's LA.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Leidi J

It was difficult at first, cause we did have a stretch of awesome rivarly with Detroit, but it seemed one sided as they didn't really care about us. The Kings because o the natural NorCal-LA hatred that comes from other sports too. Vancouver has emerged a little bit and may grow into one with the new divisions.

But when it came down to it i just decided to consider it this way... Which team do I hate the most? WHich team do I take the most pleasure and glee from watching the Sharks beat no matter the circumstances. And the answer to that question for me was easy... THE DUCKS.

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:37 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
Rivalries are born in the playoffs. But both teams have to have beat each other for it to really blossom.
Exactly why, over franchise history, the biggest rival for the Sharks is a no-brainer: The Detroit Red Wings.

Everything from high of the first ever playoff series victory, to the low of the tennis series sweep, to the three series in the past seven seasons.

Both teams have to beat each for it to really blossom? Well, again, Red Wings now that the Sharks have won 3 playoff series against them to the Wings 2. That's pretty even.

I just don't buy any other team because there isn't enough playoff history. You could argue the Avalanche, everything from the Columbine series to Teemu's wraparound to the Sharks first ever WCF appearance to Boyle's own goal.

Ducks, Kings?? Nope, not yet. Not enough playoff series yet. That will change with realignment. Same with Nucks. And sadly, the Sharks will lose their biggest rival for the duration of their rival to the East...until (fingers crossed) they start an epic SCF rivalry.

Edit: We are talking about players, not fans, right? Yes I know many fans are more about Ducks/Kings because of NorCal/SoCal, but it's pretty obvious that many players look to the Wings, especially Jumbo and Patty who seem to get up for the Wings more than any other team in the league.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 04:44 AM
NWShark*

I think that's a an important distinction that wasn't mentioned before Chomp did... players or fans?

For fans? yeah probably LA or Anaheim but for the players it's been detroit and Anaheim. Probably more detroit for the players up until this year.

I totally forgot det and SJ faced each other 5 times.. I'd blocked out the Marleau hop series from my memory... ;P

Old
04-20-2013, 04:57 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
I think that's a an important distinction that wasn't mentioned before Chomp did... players or fans?

For fans? yeah probably LA or Anaheim but for the players it's been detroit and Anaheim. Probably more detroit for the players up until this year.

I totally forgot det and SJ faced each other 5 times.. I'd blocked out the Marleau hop series from my memory... ;P
wasn't the marleau hop against dallas?

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:32 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
wasn't the marleau hop against dallas?
It's very possible... I guess that one was the Marleau defensive gaff that let Detroit score late in a game and then Ron Wilson yelled at him and he went in the tank for nearly the entire next season... I think that's the one...

Old
04-20-2013, 06:49 AM
vilpertti

Now that Detroit is moving to the easymode conference, there is no other option than the Ducks, at this time. Dallas is close too, even though they lost Ott, Ribeiro and Morrow. They seem to develope people whose faces you want to see punched in very well.

But, Ducks have Perry and Rogaine, and the sting of losing that playoff series won't subside until the Sharks win one against them. Maybe this year. Would be nice to beat them on the first round just to hand them their own medicine.

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Squeeven

I was thinking it was the Ducks but I wasn't sure because the rivalry has been a bit less physical since Parros left the Ducks and Clowe and Murray left the Sharks. Then again they haven't really played since Clowe and Murray left but ever since Parros left its died down a little.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
I was thinking it was the Ducks but I wasn't sure because the rivalry has been a bit less physical since Parros left the Ducks and Clowe and Murray left the Sharks. Then again they haven't really played since Clowe and Murray left but ever since Parros left its died down a little.
There is plenty of hate for Corey Perry and they don't like Dan Boyle or Joe Thornton. Some of the faces change but the big boys still don't like one another.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:59 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
Now that Detroit is moving to the easymode conference, there is no other option than the Ducks, at this time. Dallas is close too, even though they lost Ott, Ribeiro and Morrow. They seem to develope people whose faces you want to see punched in very well.
The Dallas rivalry will go away (I mean fan-wise) with them not being in the division anymore and divisional playoffs so most likely Sharks and Stars won't have a playoff series unless it is WCF, not to mention the frequency of Stars/Sharks reg season will go down. As I mentioned in another thread, the Stars already decided that their "6 pack" of tickets won't have the Sharks anymore. I know Dallas fans here are ready for a rivalry with the Hawks and don't care about Sharks anymore.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
The Dallas rivalry will go away (I mean fan-wise) with them not being in the division anymore and divisional playoffs so most likely Sharks and Stars won't have a playoff series unless it is WCF, not to mention the frequency of Stars/Sharks reg season will go down. As I mentioned in another thread, the Stars already decided that their "6 pack" of tickets won't have the Sharks anymore. I know Dallas fans here are ready for a rivalry with the Hawks and don't care about Sharks anymore.
I expect the Sharks-Canucks rivalry to pick up quite a bit. In the division next year, we're looking at Ducks, Kings, Sharks, and Canucks as the teams to beat for a playoff spot within the division...save for a crossover, of course. Outside chance to Phoenix while Calgary and Edmonton have no chance right now. And when the Oilers finally get a team that wants to play defense and become a playoff team, the rivalry with them will pick up where it left off in 2006.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:10 AM
MechaMarleau
Vertebraeker

Having gone to games since the mid-90s, there was totally a time when the Stars were despised (Belfour helped) and every game against them had a hostility you didn't normally see.

It worked better around the time they won the Cup and we were the underdogs. Then they started missing the playoffs and having a pretty boring roster, so it's gone. Likely to never return.

MechaMarleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Squeeven

Thought I'd bring this poll back to life because I'm sure many people here may have changed their mind especially after the Canucks series and all the accusations and now that we're facing the Kings and with the Torres hit and all I think may have sparked the rivalry a little.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote