HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIV: Be Seeing You

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 03:56 PM
MNNumbers

vCash: 500
Concerning alignment. It seems clear that time zones are what actually drove the recent arrangement. Suppose that continues. You then have 17 Eastern Time Zone teams with Quebec. One is going to have to play in the west.

It makes all kinds of sense that the current owners would say that it will be Quebec that does so. They all have the seniority, and will claim it themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually went ahead with this just to make sure that they all got rights to "Eastern conference" before PKP could.

So, Colorado moves to the division with the Pacific teams and with Calgary and Edmonton, and Quebec plays in the division with Winnipeg, Minnesota, etc.

Not perfect, but passable.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I am being honest when I say that I never hear QC being spoken about as the front runner. Always Seattle.
Ya, see, normally I would engage in conversation on the Seattle thread here on hf but I dont, have no interest in doing so as I simply dont believe its even remotely credible, plausible at this time. I live on the Westcoast so sure, love to see a team there, pretty darn sure it'll be a winner with the sports fans, no doubt about it.... but... It. Just. Aint. Ready. Not by a longshot. Better the Coyotes stay parked if indeed the NHL has designs on the Northwest, let it play out. The situation is extremely unstable at the moment, a million details to be sorted out, just cant logistically be pulled off and to try it on this summer? Serious gamble that could blow up in their faces but good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
I expect some comment about how not showing up is an odd way of encouraging someone to buy the team.... Oh, and some parting comments about Goldwater Inst. before GB drops the mic and walks off stage (stage in SEA or QC to be clear).
Absolutely. I can hear the words already "we tried, we really did, and but for 3rd party interference this team wouldve been sold over a year ago". Then walks off with no follow-ups allowed. Like the one Im dying to ask him; how is that you enabled Hulsizer to take his pitch to the nth degree, tentatively approved him as an owner in Phoenix yet rejected him in St.Louis when he came up short financially, an established mid-pack franchise, when clearly it wouldve taken considerably more capital to have affected a turnaround in Phoenix?

Old
04-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Concerning alignment. It seems clear that time zones are what actually drove the recent arrangement. Suppose that continues. You then have 17 Eastern Time Zone teams with Quebec. One is going to have to play in the west... Not perfect, but passable.
Well, Im not so sure about that MNN. Peladeau's no pushover & he brings considerable weight & heft to the party with his all sports cable station (which is available coast-coast btw, french version of TSN/Sportnet) & media interests in newspapers & radio (also national in scope). The NHL would accommodate Quebec in the east in order to maximize broadcast & sponsorship timing and revenues. Pretty dumb to have a Nordiques team playing the bulk of their games in Mountain & or Western Time Zones. There are also pre-existing rivalry aspects, most notably with Montreal but so too with most of the Great Lakes teams, Ottawa, Boston, the 3 clubs in Jersey & New York etc.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:42 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, Im not so sure about that MNN. Peladeau's no pushover & he brings considerable weight & heft to the party with his all sports cable station (which is available coast-coast btw, french version of TSN/Sportnet) & media interests in newspapers & radio (also national in scope). The NHL would accommodate Quebec in the east in order to maximize broadcast & sponsorship timing and revenues. Pretty dumb to have a Nordiques team playing the bulk of their games in Mountain & or Western Time Zones. There are also pre-existing rivalry aspects, most notably with Montreal but so too with most of the Great Lakes teams, Ottawa, Boston, the 3 clubs in Jersey & New York etc.
You could week be right, Killion. However, if the Boutiques come back this fall, I expect what I wrote to be the temp arrangement, anyway.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:04 PM
JB52

Personally, I came to think that realignment doesn’t favor Seattle or Quebec City, it only favors continuity. Things will remain the same; the Coyotes will be in Phoenix next year. Anyway the new Colisée is not ready yet.

At that time two years ago, when the Thrashers moved, weren’t we submerged by rumors? What do we have this year? One Graig Leipold’s declaration, vague Marcel Aubut’s thoughts and one Darren Dreger’s tweet. Not even enough to make conspiracy theory.

Last edited by JB52: 04-19-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 05:07 PM
GF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
Personally, I came to think that realignment doesn’t favor Seattle or Quebec City, it only favors continuity. Things will remain the same; the Coyotes will be in Phoenix next year. Anyway the Colisée is not ready yet.

At that time two years ago, when the Thrashers moved, weren’t we submerged by rumors? What do we have this year? One Graig Leipold’s declaration, vague Marcel Aubut’s thoughts and one Darren Dreger’s tweet. Not even enough to make conspiracy hypothesis.
Well actually, by your logic, in previous there were lots of rumours and nothing happened. This year there are no rumours, so something should happen.

What do you mean the Colisee not ready yet? I've heard only thing missing was a new cooling system and that the city already had approved the budget for this. ???

Old
04-19-2013, 05:19 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
...One Graig Leipold’s declaration...
Can I jump in here and ask what this quote was? I was in Vegas for the past week and am a bit out of touch. Also experiencing a bit of memory lose. And am now poor.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower
How many days has it been? The NHL's deal with Moyes to take control of the Coyotes was finalized November 3, 2009. As of today, April 19, 2013, that was 1,263 days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Please, that would be 90+ fortnights...

Be seeing you!
Well, 2 weeks (or a fortnight) from this Sunday will mark the 4 year anniversary of Moyes putting the team in bk.

It's been going on for an olympiad

Old
04-19-2013, 05:42 PM
JB52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post

What do you mean the Colisee not ready yet? I've heard only thing missing was a new cooling system and that the city already had approved the budget for this. ???
No, sorry, I meant the new colisée. They one thay are building right now.

And for David99, I can't even find it in English, but here's the TVA sports article:

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/coyot...eipold-9042013

Old
04-19-2013, 05:59 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Welcome. I'll have a Tanqueray & Tab and keep em comin... or do I still suck?
Oh please tell me that some buddy of yours, who lacks taste buds, is actually enthralled with the concept of gin and Tab?

Old
04-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Oh please tell me that some buddy of yours, who lacks taste buds, is actually enthralled with the concept of gin and Tab?
... from the 1996 Bill Murray movie Kingpin, and I dont think Ive even seen a can of Tab for over a decade or more. Big deal in the late 60's & 70's then vanished. Another great line in that movie was "your on the Gravy Train now with Biscuit Wheels". Puts one in mind of the Jamison Dealeo or earlier, The Hulsucker Proxy.... the only thing I mix with gin is tonic. On the rocks. Hendricks or London Gin No.1. Juniper. Twist of lime. 2 packs of cigarettes. Only way I can handle watching my Leafs Im afraid. Loaded, chain smoking. Pretty sad really.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:24 PM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 300
Quote:
... from the 1996 Bill Murray movie Kingpin, and I dont think Ive even seen a can of Tab for over a decade or more. Big deal in the late 60's & 70's then vanished. Another great line in that movie was "your on the Gravy Train now with Biscuit Wheels". Puts one in mind of the Jamison Dealeo or earlier, The Hulsucker Proxy.... the only thing I mix with gin is tonic. On the rocks. Hendricks or London Gin No.1. Juniper. Twist of lime. 2 packs of cigarettes. Only way I can handle watching my Leafs Im afraid. Loaded, chain smoking. Pretty sad really.
well into the 80's too, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to the Future, 1985
Lou: You gonna order something, kid?

Marty McFly: Ah, yeah. Give me- Give me a Tab.

Lou: Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.

Marty McFly: Right. Give me a Pepsi Free.

Lou: You want a Pepsi, pal, you're gonna pay for it.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
well into the 80's too...
Ya, made by Coke. But I think if you want any castle you'll have to go to like Botswana, Losotho, Namibia or perhaps even Swaziland to get your fix of that saccharin sweetened delight.... The Now Taste of Tab.... A Beautiful Drink for Beautiful People in 3rd World countries I guess.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Material Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The thing that still gets me about QC is the recently approved realignment. Do they just tell Detroit the deal is off and back to the Western Conf with them?
I personaly think this approved realignment is all smoke screen, only to "prove" relocation to Quebec City was not planned...

Remember they also said it could be reviewed in 2015 or earlier if needed...

Last edited by Material Defender: 04-19-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post
I personaly think this approved realignment is all smoke screen, only to "prove" relocation to Quebec City was not planned...

Remember they also told it could be reviewed in 2015 or earlier if needed...

Yes, that is certainly possible, but who do they kick out of the East? Detroit again?

It very well may be that Phoenix indeed stays put and two teams are added to the West via expansion. Including Phoenix, there are three spots there to even it up with the East. You either swap Phx/QC with another team, like Detroit, or go the status quo but still add two more.

Old
04-19-2013, 07:11 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:

Yes, that is certainly possible, but who do they kick out of the East? Detroit again?

It very well may be that Phoenix indeed stays put and two teams are added to the West via expansion. Including Phoenix, there are three spots there to even it up with the East. You either swap Phx/QC with another team, like Detroit, or go the status quo but still add two more.
Again, Fugu,

The easy thing is for a year or 2, Quebec plays in the CTZ, with Winnipeg, etc. and Colorado goes to the Pacific. Then, try this mess again, and try again for something like

4 distinct conferences. Now you can move DET/CMB back to the west, because their schedule is no different than the others.

Or, put QUE in the NE, and move the FL teams to the CTZ division,

Or, whatever.

But, the main lesson is, GET THE TEAM IN THE RIGHT PLACE. Then, worry about alignment. In other words, the city the move to won't be "because it makes alignment easier...."

Old
04-19-2013, 07:20 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:

So, Colorado moves to the division with the Pacific teams and with Calgary and Edmonton, and Quebec plays in the division with Winnipeg, Minnesota, etc.

Not perfect, but passable.
That would great i could live with that

Old
04-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Confucius

Quote:

Once upon a time, Leafs were in the west

Old
04-19-2013, 07:47 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Are'nt the Jets in the east?

Old
04-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember my once deeply reviled arch nemeses (Wings fan here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
Are'nt the Jets in the east?
In the new realignment being implemented for next season, they will be in the Central grouping and thus Western Conference.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Again, Fugu,

The easy thing is for a year or 2, Quebec plays in the CTZ, with Winnipeg, etc. and Colorado goes to the Pacific. Then, try this mess again, and try again for something like

4 distinct conferences. Now you can move DET/CMB back to the west, because their schedule is no different than the others.

Or, put QUE in the NE, and move the FL teams to the CTZ division,

Or, whatever.

But, the main lesson is, GET THE TEAM IN THE RIGHT PLACE. Then, worry about alignment. In other words, the city the move to won't be "because it makes alignment easier...."

I understand all that, but really my point is that the NHL and BOG know more than we do about the potential-- relocation or expansion, what is or isn't likely and when. Then they approved the new realignment. Maybe they did consider it a two year trial since they didn't think everything would be in place soon enough to plan beyond that.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Llama19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
If you really need a Tab, you can order it from here: http://www.sodafinder.com/products/tab

To keep this on topic, I think my City of Glendale is no longer willing to pay the NHL's tab to keep the Coyotes!

Be seeing you!

Old
04-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes.... Hendricks. In the old stoneware jug.
Dash of Schweppes Tonic. Lime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
Yepp.... Once Upon a Time in the West.... Bronson, Fonda, Jack Elam, Claudia Cardinale....
so very very VERY long ago..... and then the railroad & society, parity came along...

Old
04-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
If you really need a Tab, you can order it from here...
$17.95 for a 12 pack?! Who owns the distributorship, Jeremy Jacobs & NHL Enterprises Inc or MLSE?.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Llama19

vCash: 50
Quote:
$17.95 for a 12 pack?! Who owns the distributorship, Jeremy Jacobs & NHL Enterprises Inc or MLSE?.
Well, the NHL's tab for the Coyotes is a reported $170+ million...

Be seeing you!

Closed Thread