HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

San Jose Sharks system continues to show improvement in mid-season Top 20 ranking

Old
04-19-2013, 05:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
San Jose Sharks system continues to show improvement in mid-season Top 20 ranking

The San Jose Sharks prospect pool continues to get better and better. The 2012-13 season has been a strong one for development, and while there looks to be a gap in high-end skill after top prospect Tomas Hertl, a number of prospects have really played themselves into the limelight and have shown at times an ability to possibly fill that gap.

Big risers Chris Tierney and Nick Petrecki have each climbed up the rankings by 10 spots after starting the year in much different boats. Tierney, a relative newcomer to the Sharks' Top 20 list, has had a tremendous year in the OHL, and Petrecki, one of the longest 'projects' and perhaps biggest disappointments in recent Sharks memory, has finally started living up to his potential.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

inb4 Petrecki at 8!!! LOL

I know when I talked to David Thicke (great guy, excellent hockey mind, one of the few HF staffers like me that dare to traverse these boards) about Petrecki's climb he was a bit apprehensive--and rightly so-- dmen like Acolatse and Doherty just as easily could sit in front of him, and then you have guys from other positions, like say Tarasov who are making some noise and getting hyped like crazy--but Petrecki's the real deal, and like a lot of Shark's brass, I feel like he'll only get better at the NHL level. I'm hoping I didn't fall into the trap a lot of previous writers have when covering this team, but the way Petrecki has played this season, if I am to look at this situation objectively, and without bias, when I watch number 29 out on the ice, I see a fantastic player, with tremendous potential, who's playing a simplified and powerful game that translates well to the NHL level.

As always though, I really put a lot into this, and hope you get something out of it. By all means debate, and critique, heck share your own rankings (I love seeing how other people view this prospect pool)--this team's future is looking very promising.

Craig Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:52 PM
stalockrox

Pretty nice write up Craig! I'm curious, did Stalock 'age' out of prospect status or do you not consider him to be in the top 20.

I'm also curious if you've gotten to watch (or talk to the scouts who watch) Joakim Ryan?

Regarding Petrecki, he's had a good season and I've been one of few Sharks fans that think he still has an NHL future - I'm just not so sure it'll be with the Sharks. He will never live up to his draft expectations but he can still be an every day NHLer.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:06 PM
hockeyball

Looks pretty good Craig. Curious how these new guys will fit in.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Pretty nice write up Craig! I'm curious, did Stalock 'age' out of prospect status or do you not consider him to be in the top 20.

I'm also curious if you've gotten to watch (or talk to the scouts who watch) Joakim Ryan?

Regarding Petrecki, he's had a good season and I've been one of few Sharks fans that think he still has an NHL future - I'm just not so sure it'll be with the Sharks. He will never live up to his draft expectations but he can still be an every day NHLer.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Stalock aged out last rankings I believe--same with Irwin.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/

Quote:
...if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.
I'm really interested in what's going to happen with Alex next season. With the recent signing of Grosenick, Anderson finishing up Juniors, Heemskerk showing some real development--and then of course the two S' in Worcester, there is a huge logjam of goaltenders within the system. One has to think that Greiss realistically won't be re-signed, and if that's the case, that's a huge leap of faith in Stalock...or potentially no faith at all if the team looks outside the organization to fill the void.

I've watched Ryan... 3 times this season (I'll be the first to tell you guys, it's not easy for me to keep tabs on these college players--but I do my best), and I've spoken to a few ECAC scouts about him. The consensus on him is that he's a good skater (he looked great against Yale in one game I saw) but I take what he displays in the Ivy-league, with a grain of salt. He's going to have to overcome a lot in terms of size issues (I think we list him at like 5'11 here, but there's no way he's 5'11) to really make it at the pro level. Two years from now I'm hoping (just as I hope with every person I cover--I don't wish bad on anyone) he bulks up, and impresses the Sharks enough to earn a contract (and he's doing great things). One thing that really impressed me is his shot blocking technique. Someone really taught this player well--he's a terrific shot blocker.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:53 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fischer View Post
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Stalock aged out last rankings I believe--same with Irwin.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/

I'm really interested in what's going to happen with Alex next season. With the recent signing of Grosenick, Anderson finishing up Juniors, Heemskerk showing some real development--and then of course the two S' in Worcester, there is a huge logjam of goaltenders within the system. One has to think that Greiss realistically won't be re-signed, and if that's the case, that's a huge leap of faith in Stalock...or potentially no faith at all if the team looks outside the organization to fill the void.

I've watched Ryan... 3 times this season (I'll be the first to tell you guys, it's not easy for me to keep tabs on these college players--but I do my best), and I've spoken to a few ECAC scouts about him. The consensus on him is that he's a good skater (he looked great against Yale in one game I saw) but I take what he displays in the Ivy-league, with a grain of salt. He's going to have to overcome a lot in terms of size issues (I think we list him at like 5'11 here, but there's no way he's 5'11) to really make it at the pro level. Two years from now I'm hoping (just as I hope with every person I cover--I don't wish bad on anyone) he bulks up, and impresses the Sharks enough to earn a contract (and he's doing great things). One thing that really impressed me is his shot blocking technique. Someone really taught this player well--he's a terrific shot blocker.
There are still some things I disagree with but when it comes to prospects there are LOTS of opinions...this was one of the more thorough write ups I've seen.

Ryan and Watson are the two I have the hardest time tracking but what I've seen of Ryan (and heard) he's got a lot of good tools.

I don't think Greiss or Heemskerk will be re-signed and I think Stalock will be backing up Niemi next year. As of now, that leave Sateri and (likely) Grosenick in Worcester and Anderson in SF.

Also, regarding their recent UFA signings, I see Schwarz charging up this list quickly, Hayes could be in the top 15 as well. Then there's a guy on an ATO right now that I think will be on this list too in Brace.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:03 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

When it talks about Hertl's potential, it says he could be the face of the franchise, but 8.0 isn't exactly a face of the franchise number, is it? Would 8.5C make more sense in his case? Good read otherwise though, just didn't really get that. But Couture was a 7.5B and I'd argue that right now he's an 8.0 player.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:13 PM
do0glas

man the expectation for hertl is just way too high right now. i hope he delivers.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
man the expectation for hertl is just way too high right now. i hope he delivers.
And he gets traded...

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
When it talks about Hertl's potential, it says he could be the face of the franchise, but 8.0 isn't exactly a face of the franchise number, is it? Would 8.5C make more sense in his case? Good read otherwise though, just didn't really get that. But Couture was a 7.5B and I'd argue that right now he's an 8.0 player.
It could be depending on the franchise. It's all semantics really, so don't let it bug you too much. Hertl's a good prospect and projects to be a good player.

You'll probably see more updates with ratings and stuff in the summer (if you notice, there were a few updates here, but I'll have to certainly assess things as they go along--I know it was discussed with a few staffers, maybe during the top 50 article, by the way, David and I were like the bastions of Hertl--fighting for his deserved rise in that list, that he should be moved up to an 8b. Who knows though, things are always changing.)

Old
04-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
And he gets traded...
Well we do have to fill the void Burns leaves somehow

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:49 PM
domon

"Ryan Clowe" :/.

domon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:37 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Good point.

On the 10, 9 and 8 ratings, I use the following as definitions to clarify HF's subjectivity. 10 is generational which means multiple years with league awards, Richard, Norris, Hart . . . 9 is perennial All-Star, at least 3 consecutive years, preferably 5. 8 is sometimes All-Star, more than one.

Couture got his first All-Star last time around. I don't know that he will go perennial but I would bet more than one. I don't like the idea of face of the franchise label, but IMO it should be reserved for 9's and up.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Hold the Pickles

What rating should Patty considered for most of his career, 8.5?

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:57 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
If Patty is an 8.5 that makes Thornton a what? A 9? 9.5?

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
If Patty is an 8.5 that makes Thornton a what? A 9? 9.5?
He gets an 11!

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:06 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
8.5, enough selections to push the 8.0 level. JT pulls a 9.0. Consistent All-Star for JT, but only one year with league hardware. Same would go for Pronger. I wouldn't push 9.5 unless he had at least two years of league hardware.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote