HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keenan out in Florida

Old
09-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
What a surprise. Keenan has a shelf life of about 18-24 months.
true

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 07:32 AM
KFC

vCash: 500
good for florida for getting rid of him... he's a horrible GM

KFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 08:18 AM
94now

Isn't it true that when person submit a resignation, his contact is being terminated? I mean Panthers owe him nothing as opposed to balance of his contract pay in case of firing. Why no one consider Keenan fleeing Florida very much like he left NYR some dozen years ago?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 08:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Isn't it true that when person submit a resignation, his contact is being terminated? I mean Panthers owe him nothing as opposed to balance of his contract pay in case of firing. Why no one consider Keenan fleeing Florida very much like he left NYR some dozen years ago?
When a person resigns, they do not get the rest of the contract. When they are fired, they do.

The difference with Keenan's time in NY was he was claiming that the Rangers were in breach on contract.

09-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
My guess is that it basically goes like this, Cohen to Keenan "you can resign if you wants to". Keenan needs Cohens permission to resign, but my point is that if Cohen wants to be nice to Keenan he lets him resign and still get paid, instead of beeing fired and still get paid, it looks better.

Another scenario is that Cohen lets Keenan resign, or tells him that he will be asigned new scout for Florida in Siberia. Don't know if thats possible in the US, its not in Sweden (would be the same as beeing fired). Though my bet is that Keenan was allowed to resign and got a hefty paycheck, instead of beeing fired and paid.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 09:41 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I remember Mess saying how it affected the team, and especially him. Was Anaheim one of the first few games of the season?
It was probably within the first 10 games of the season, somewhere around there. I think after Keenan went ballistic and broke the stick over the crossbar, the Rangers played the Kings at the Garden in the next game. That's when Tikkanen won the game on a slapper, either in the third period or in overtime.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
he has taken three or four teams to the finals and won once. That's not a horrible coaching record, and if you ask Messier, I think he'd say that Keenan had that team focused from the first day of practice that season when Keenan broke a stick over the goal crossbar. I would say that all the pieces were in place in 1994, and that included Keenan. Without him, I think you would be looking at an earlier playoff exit (of course, this is pure speculation and it may depend on who became coach).
But the problem is that he hasn't reached that level of success in what 12 years? The thing with Keenan is that for all his success, every team he's been involved with left devastated in his wake.

Obviously the Rangers got the cup, but I doubt all the other teams feel the price was worth the cost in hindsight. Heck one goal difference and we're right there with them, with only the memories of what he cost us to look back on.

At the end of the day Keenan isn't a Bowman, he isn't on "that" level. Now if he was, you could argue that his strategies are worth it. The problem is that his approach is far more likely to implode you team that bring a cup. That one cup is what keeps him afloat, take that away and there is no one willing to take that risk anymore.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote