HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Sleeper players that hit 1000 points

Old
04-18-2013, 11:34 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Brian Bellows? He was an excellent, underrated player, but he might be up there as the worst player to hit 1000 points -- I'd probably give Ray Whitney an edge here at this point and maybe even Kovalev.

Or perhaps Pat Verbeek is the worst player to hit 1000. Actually, the more I think about it, the less sure I am on how to rank them.

(With the obvious caveat that anyone who can score 1000 points in the best league in the world is a great player who's achieved one hell of a milestone, etc. etc.)
I think the worst player to hit 1000 has to be a guy who played most or all of his career in the 1980s/early 1990s.

Bellows is as good an answer as any.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Stevens was quite the offensive dman back in his days as a Cap. He became known as the big hitting machine he is with the Devils.
Not at all. He got his rep with the Caps. He used to hit anything and everything that moved when he played there.
It wasn‘t until he went to the Blues that Sutter got him to pick his spots better.

Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think the worst player to hit 1000 has to be a guy who played most or all of his career in the 1980s/early 1990s.

Bellows is as good an answer as any.
Regular season only Glenn Anderson, Kovelev and Whitney all have a case as well.

Although all 3 for different reasons.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:22 AM
vadim sharifijanov

i think i might take most of the guys mentioned, and definitely glenn anderson, over dave taylor.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:45 AM
tony d
The franchise

Dale Hunter

04-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Hawkman
Feels like rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think the worst player to hit 1000 has to be a guy who played most or all of his career in the 1980s/early 1990s. Bellows is as good an answer as any.
Agreed. My post is one of Great Expectations, not the worst player.

Quote:
Plus/Minus
1979-80 NHL 45 (6)
1984-85 NHL 46 (9)
1986-87 NHL 39 (9)
Career NHL 310 (25)
Although he was a great two way player, Brian Propp (79-94, 1004 points) held the Canadian junior career scoring record and people thought he was going to be one of the best offensive players in the league.

Last edited by Hawkman: 04-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Agreed. My post is one of Great Expectations, not the worst player.

Although he was a great 2 way player, Brian Propp (79-94, 1004 points) held the Canadian junior career scoring record and people thought he was going to be one of the best offensive players in the league.
Propp had a pretty good NHL career.

Part of his high expectations came from playing his first two years of major junior with a year older Bill Derlago and same age Ray Allison.

Derlago BTW would probably hold the record if not for an injury in his final year.

In Popp's final junior season he was centered by Laurie Boschman who was a very effective junior center.

Old
04-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Hawkman
Feels like rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Propp had a pretty good NHL career. Part of his high expectations came from playing his first two years of major junior with a year older Bill Derlago and same age Ray Allison. Derlago BTW would probably hold the record if not for an injury in his final year. In Popp's final junior season he was centered by Laurie Boschman who was a very effective junior center.
Agreed. Propp was a great two player and I meant no disrespect. Some may rank him higher than HHoFer Glenn Anderson. Offensively Propp turned out to be more similar to someone like Rod Brind'Amour (92.4) or Bernie Federko (92.3) in adjusted point shares.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:32 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
Luc Robitaille drafted in the 11th round, finished with the highest point total for a LW
Only those who saw the tailend of his career could be surprised at his career totals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD 2013 sub-board
6'1, 210 lbs. left winger Luc Robitaille, whose first seven seasons were phenomenal with seven consecutive 1st or 2nd team all-star selections and seven straight years top-10 in goals. By age 26 he had already scored 382 NHL goals, including 34 playoff goals. He scored 799 points in his first 640 NHL games, not once in his first eight seasons dipping below the 84 point total of his rookie year. "Lucky" Luc worked hard to put himself in good scoring position and had a fantastic shot. He was known for his competiveness, even in practices, as much as he was known for his friendliness. He had a boatload of determination and it showed. He went on to play for over a decade more, including three more times top-10 in goals, five more times top-10 in powerplay goals, another 2nd team all-star. He is presently still top-10 all-time in career goals scored among all NHLers, tied with Jaromir Jagr. The fact that he has scored the most goals and points in history for a left winger is almost beside the point, as is his secondary role in a Stanley Cup championship in his 16th year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Kings Legends
Robitaille made up for any skating deficiencies with one of the most accurate shots in NHL history. He was a regular leader in shooting percentage, thanks to a number of reasons. He worked himself into high percentage scoring areas, often down low and in tight. Though a defender might have been draped all over him, he always kept his stick unchecked. He would release his shot in the blink of an eye, usually just burying passes and rebounds with no backswing at all.

Robitaille, an under-noticed physical player, continued to be almost unquestioningly the league's best left winger for 8 seasons, consistently scoring goals. He scored at least 44 goals in 8 consecutive seasons (only Gretzky and Mike Bossy had better streaks), and also managed to shake his playoff jinx as he became a genuine playoff threat in 1992 with 12 goals in 12 games and in 1993 when he was a major part of the Kings "Cinderella" Cup run.

Just one year after coming so close to winning Lord Stanley's Grail, the Kings missed the playoffs. Robitaille played for Canada's national team at the 1994 World Championship in Italy. It was Robitaille who scored the gold medal winning goal in a shootout, giving Canada its first world championship in 33 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times, Nov. 10, 2009
... he personified everything good about this game and the undying power of hope backed by tireless effort.

"I've known Luc since he was 17, with the Hull Olympiques," Gretzky said as he traveled the red carpet before the [Hall of Fame induction] ceremony.

"I've said this before: with 'Rocket' Richard, Mike Bossy, Guy Lafleur and Mario Lemieux, there's nobody who wanted to score more desperately than Luc Robitaille. He made himself a Hall of Famer."
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fo...play.php?f=181

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:50 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I don't know if it's so much that he is under rated.

There were times in his career when teams decided to part with him for little or no return and he has never been a difference maker or one of the top 20 players in the league either.

He has had a long career and is aging well.
He scored 77 Pts last season and was year end All-Star on Left Wing. He has been very good the last few seasons.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:52 PM
BarberioTheBarbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
What about Dale Hunter? He's the only player with 1,000 points and 3,000 penalty minutes.

What makes that feat more impressive for Ray Whitney is that he has over 500 points since the lockout.
He has had over 500 points this season?

BarberioTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Agreed. Propp was a great two player and I meant no disrespect. Some may rank him higher than HHoFer Glenn Anderson. Offensively Propp turned out to be more similar to someone like Rod Brind'Amour (92.4) or Bernie Federko (92.3) in adjusted point shares.
Rob played longer, and probably never had the peak of the other 2, but yes Bernie would be a good career comp, as it can be between a play making center and a more balanced scoring LW.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian View Post
He has had over 500 points this season?
Pretty sure he means the 05 lockout but it really is a shame that there have been 3 of them now.