HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Round 1 matchup

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Kings and Sharks both win. We are 5 points from mathematically clinching our playoff spot.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Mike Liut

4) LA - 55 pts
5) SJ - 55 pts
6) Blues - 54 pts

#4 seed is in sight

Old
04-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Keep Your Head Up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
Jinx thread
Exactly my thought

Old
04-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Keep Your Head Up

Bring on the Kings...

Old
04-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Your Head Up View Post
Exactly my thought

No such thing as a jinx. The Blues are a lock for the playoffs

Old
04-19-2013, 11:17 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
4) LA - 55 pts
5) SJ - 55 pts
6) Blues - 54 pts

#4 seed is in sight
St. Louis definitely has the easier schedule over LA and SJ. They SHOULD be guaranteed six points with the last game up for grabs in their last four games.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:52 AM
BlueDream

You guys care way too much about the 4th seed. You can argue that that would hurt us.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:37 AM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
You guys care way too much about the 4th seed. You can argue that that would hurt us.
Honestly, I would much rather finish 6th and play the Canucks. Not only do I think the series would have better games, but the T.V coverage would be so much better up here in Canada. Looking at the remaining schedules of each individual team though, I don't see the Blues finishing 6th.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:06 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Blues have played very well on the road compared to their mediocre home record, so it wouldn't bother me at all if the 'note finish 5th or 6th in the Western Conference.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:49 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I think it is about being realistic over where we end up. Is it a better match up for us against the Canucks/Sharks rather than the Kings? Yes.

However, considering the Sharks and Kings still have a game to play against each other, we are effectively tied with them with 4 games to play. 3 of our 4 are against terrible teams, all the Kings games are against either playoff teams or teams battling for the playoffs and it is the same for the Sharks with the exception of their game against the Coyotes.

For those interested in when the playoff spot becomes official, then we need 2 more points to clinch.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:27 AM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 113
LA is also within 5 points of catching Anaheim for the 2nd seed. If the Ducks keep sliding, they could quickly wind up in the 4,5,6 talk.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:03 AM
shifting

Bring on the Kings, gotta beat the best to be the best.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:11 AM
BlueAero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Honestly, I would much rather finish 6th and play the Canucks. Not only do I think the series would have better games, but the T.V coverage would be so much better up here in Canada. Looking at the remaining schedules of each individual team though, I don't see the Blues finishing 6th.
I agree with this. Home ice is way overrated. All it takes is one road win to turn the tables....happens all the time. Plus, I don't see the Blues' confidence level at this point being up to a first-round matchup with the Kings. I'd rather take on Vancouver and let the Sharks duke it out with LA in a 5-versus-4 series. You never know, San Jose might beat 'em.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Mike Liut

I wonder if the Hawks will be resting players that last game vs the Blues?

Old
04-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
I wonder if the Hawks will be resting players that last game vs the Blues?
I think it's almost a given that Toews will sit that game out.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:47 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

As long as San Jose stays ahead of the Blues in points the Blues can't play LA in round 1. Ideally the 4-5 would be Blues-Sharks. In a perfect world the finish is 4. Blues 5. Sharks 6. Kings. Blues beat San Jose, Anaheim wins, and LA plays Chicago after rolling through Vancouver. Blues go San Jose, Anaheim, Kings/Hawks winner. Then they still "have to beat the best to be the best" but they get possibly three rounds out of the deal. They should beat San Jose and they'd have a solid shot against Anaheim (who will not be caught by LA, it's way too late). Then Oshie comes back for that third series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
But the Blues flat-out aren't the better team, so you're hoping for a quick exit by rooting for this. I don't get it. This team has financial needs to keep the team intact. Those needs are real. They need home playoff dates. If they play LA that series is over in four or five and the Blues get exactly two home playoff dates, the bare minimum. You can just turn on LA's games to see the nightmare that awaits us if we draw them.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:20 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
Actually you just have to beat whatever teams you are matched up against but whatever you want to believe.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

The kings arent even the best.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:29 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
As long as San Jose stays ahead of the Blues in points the Blues can't play LA in round 1. Ideally the 4-5 would be Blues-Sharks. In a perfect world the finish is 4. Blues 5. Sharks 6. Kings. Blues beat San Jose, Anaheim wins, and LA plays Chicago after rolling through Vancouver. Blues go San Jose, Anaheim, Kings/Hawks winner. Then they still "have to beat the best to be the best" but they get possibly three rounds out of the deal. They should beat San Jose and they'd have a solid shot against Anaheim (who will not be caught by LA, it's way too late). Then Oshie comes back for that third series.

But the Blues flat-out aren't the better team, so you're hoping for a quick exit by rooting for this. I don't get it. This team has financial needs to keep the team intact. Those needs are real. They need home playoff dates. If they play LA that series is over in four or five and the Blues get exactly two home playoff dates, the bare minimum. You can just turn on LA's games to see the nightmare that awaits us if we draw them.
LAK have had the Blues number the past couple seasons, but I don't think they're playing near the level we saw last post-season. I think they're beatable. (The Blues aren't playing at the level of last season either, but they seem to be on an upswing right now...so maybe they gel and get there.)

I don't get the sense that the players on the Blues fear the Kings at all. Anyway, I think you're blowing that matchup out of proportion.

That said, I want the Blues to finish as high as they can. Home ice in the first round could mean an additional game of revenue...and if there are upsets to the extent of last season it could even mean home ice in the 2nd round...if they get there.

As a fan, I'm a lot less worried about the matchup right now as I am in seeing the Blues playing at their best. They're winning games, showing signs of life...but they aren't there yet. I like the way they responded to the physical play from desperate teams this week. I hope they don't take a step backwards playing Colorado Colorado Calgary.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
I bet Detroit gets some ref favoritism the next few games so they can have a CHI-DET matchup for thei last year in the West.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:43 AM
erderuft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
As a fan, I'm a lot less worried about the matchup right now as I am in seeing the Blues playing at their best. They're winning games, showing signs of life...but they aren't there yet. I like the way they responded to the physical play from desperate teams this week. I hope they don't take a step backwards playing Colorado Colorado Calgary.
This. Keep the foot on the gas. Colorado and Calgary really have nothing to play for, in fact they might do better by losing. Let's hope they at least feel like playing us hard. Gotta keep us in playoffs-mode.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:22 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by erderuft View Post
This. Keep the foot on the gas. Colorado and Calgary really have nothing to play for, in fact they might do better by losing. Let's hope they at least feel like playing us hard. Gotta keep us in playoffs-mode.
Ha! Ha! -The Blues current trend of scoring only one goal a game (2 when they get HOT) will guarantee that all their games are close, and in playoff style.

I'm actually hoping that Colorado's swiss-cheese defence will allow The Blues to score 4-5 both games (when storming their net), so they can remember that they ARE capable of scoring, when they enter The playoffs.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Oshie97

Not too worried about who we play, we won't get past the first round if we can't figure out how to score. Our defense is looking pretty good and thankfully Elliott looks to have regained his composure but your not going to win a series scoring a goal per game.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:59 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I bet Detroit gets some ref favoritism the next few games so they can have a CHI-DET matchup for thei last year in the West.
Yep, of course they will, 2 original 6 teams

Old
04-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Yep, of course they will, 2 original 6 teams
Would be a conspiracy if it was CHI-DET, BOS-TOR, MTL-NYR which it looks like its going to be. With that being said it looks like Chicago is going all the way this year.

Closed Thread