HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds vs Hawks

Old
04-19-2013, 10:40 PM
drwpreds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Openly cheering against the guys that are wearing Nashville on their chest is bs to me. It's fine to justify a loss with "well atleast we'll get a better pick now" is one thing but celebrating a loss is totally different.
I don't think that's what anyone is doing. Cant speak for anyone but myself, but I want us to get a top 3 pick, whatever it takes, but I am absolutely not celebrating- as I've said numerous times, it is one of the worst feelings I've ever had as a sports fan and I just want this nightmare season to end.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
a couple of weeks ago, you could say that the Preds could get hot and make the playoffs... at this point they cannot possibly make the playoffs, but they can land a potential franchise forward in the draft. This last handful of games will not be remembered for very long, but the effect of adding a guy like MacKinnon to the mix would be felt for many years going forward.
Well said.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Being ok with a loss and cheering against guys that give their all for Nashville is 2 different things.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Oh and higher picks don't always mean better players.
Of course not. But it means a much better chance of success than a lower pick. If we're that concerned about it, then we can always trade the pick for a proven NHLer. But then, of course, we'll receive criticism for "what could have been" if that pick, or one soon after, turns out to be a superstar.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
The work has been there lately. Tonight they were rewarded with goals (thanks, Crawford). Halischuk was Halischuk.

Forsberg was more or less invisible...but I think that's a product of 1) he's still learning the NHL game and 2) he's playing against the best competition so far. The Hawks don't give you a lot of space to play with the puck...this is probably a good game for him to learn you have to have some hustle, scrap, and grit (Halischuk) to succeed against them.

A lot of guys struggled...Josi, Weber, Bartley on D...Kostitsyn, Smith, and various other forwards.

Hali looked good almost every single shift. I liked Butler's game. Clune was at least pretty consistent. Bang and Henderson did better than some of the more experienced forwards. I was actually impressed with Henderson's hustle...I thought he did well grinding in the corners. Legwand may have been our best veteran forward.

Lots of good effort...but way too many mistakes, and aside from Bartley's great breakout pass to Halischuk...awful passing and possession.

We're basically 1/2 NHL and 1/2 AHL at this point. Considering that, we played alright. Tanking aside...I want to see effort and flashes of our future. I think we got a little of that tonight. I'd like to see more out of our veteran players...but with this many new folks on the ice, I can understand (to a degree) the general discombobulation.
Legwand is pretty much our only veteran forward.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:43 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Oh and higher picks don't always mean better players.
Of course there are never any guarantees- and if this was just an average draft talent-wise, I would be more in agreement with your way of thinking. But almost every hockey expert agrees this is one of the best drafts since 2003, with 3 players at the top who almost certainly will be NHL ready next year and be sure fire stars.......That is the reason everyone wants in the top 3- would not be nearly as big a deal if this was not a loaded draft......

Old
04-19-2013, 10:44 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
a couple of weeks ago, you could say that the Preds could get hot and make the playoffs... at this point they cannot possibly make the playoffs, but they can land a potential franchise forward in the draft. This last handful of games will not be remembered for very long, but the effect of adding a guy like MacKinnon to the mix would be felt for many years going forward.
Tell that to they guys still going out and giving it their all, tell them how meaningless it is after they thrown their body around and played as hard as they could to represent the franchise.

It wasn't meaningless the other night when everyone was so upset that Rinne got hit, Weber was supposed to go to jail to defend him, Trotz was supposed to risk suspensions and fines, send the entire bench out some of you said, was it meaningless then?

Old
04-19-2013, 10:45 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Legwand is pretty much our only veteran forward.
Upon further consideration, you are correct.

I'll change that to best veteran player tonight.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:46 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Of course there are never any guarantees- and if this was just an average draft talent-wise, I would be more in agreement with your way of thinking. But almost every hockey expert agrees this is one of the best drafts since 2003, with 3 players at the top who almost certainly will be NHL ready next year and be sure fire stars.......That is the reason everyone wants in the top 3- would not be nearly as big a deal if this was not a loaded draft......
So they shouldn't even try to win? Is that what you all want, a team of quitters?

Old
04-19-2013, 10:48 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Tell that to they guys still going out and giving it their all, tell them how meaningless it is after they thrown their body around and played as hard as they could to represent the franchise.
It's not meaningless. It's a tryout. Pre-training camp. Also raising your stock before the summer free agent market.

They're not playing for the wins as much as their future.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:48 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
You are talking about two things that have nothing to do with each other- how we cheer or don't cheer as fans has ZERO effect on how the team did on the ice tonight.

Of course the team is out there giving it all they've got- its their job and they are being paid handsomely for it....

Again, I think you are misrepresenting what we are doing here- NO ONE on here is cheering against our team or celebrating a loss......

Old
04-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Preddownsouth

I take no joy in any Nashville loss no matter the time of year. It has been a string of mostly bad from when Suter bolted to the lockout and culminating with this crap season. The only solace I get is that the consensus says this draft has 4 or 5 dynamic players that can make a difference on a team right away AND we might see one of those guys drafted here.

Losing sucks but if it ends up giving us a Kane or a Toews type player that will be a Pred for years to come, then it lessens the blow somewhat.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:50 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's not meaningless. It's a tryout. Pre-training camp. Also raising your stock before the summer free agent market.

No no no, it's meaningless, that's what was said on here, and many agreed.

Cheering against your own team is garbage.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:51 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
You are talking about two things that have nothing to do with each other- how we cheer or don't cheer as fans has ZERO effect on how the team did on the ice tonight.

Of course the team is out there giving it all they've got- its their job and they are being paid handsomely for it....

Again, I think you are misrepresenting what we are doing here- NO ONE on here is cheering against our team or celebrating a loss.
Go back and read this thread, people are cheering against the team and celebrating the loss.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
I take no joy in any Nashville loss no matter the time of year. It has been a string of mostly bad from when Suter bolted to the lockout and culminating with this crap season. The only solace I get is that the consensus says this draft has 4 or 5 dynamic players that can make a difference on a team right away AND we might see one of those guys drafted here.

Losing sucks but if it ends up giving us a Kane or a Toews type player that will be a Pred for years to come, then it lessens the blow somewhat.
See this to me is ok, and I can almost agree with it.

But rooting for your team to lose, I can't agree with.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:52 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
So they shouldn't even try to win? Is that what you all want, a team of quitters?
I'm not sure you are reading any of my other posts- OF COURSE THE TEAM should try to win, and they are.

As I said, we don't have any effect on how hard the team tries to win- no one is happy about the situation, but the fact remains, a top 3 pick could change the future- and if we had have won this game tonight, and that kept us from getting that pick, then yes, in the grand scheme of things, it really is a meaningless win.........

I think we are going around in circles here so I guess we should just agree to disagree......

Old
04-19-2013, 10:55 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:

It's a message board.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:55 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Go back and read this thread, people are cheering against the team and celebrating the loss.
Last post on this, but regardless of what anyone posted, no one is celebrating us losing. What PREDDOWNSOUTH posted is exactly what everyone is doing.

I posted "at least we didn't get 2 points"- its just a message board post and its just a way to communicate what is going on in a unique situation- it doesn't mean I am cheering against my team or celebrating losing.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
This summer will be interesting, guys like Bang and Butler are playing their way on the team and we already had a full compliment of forwards. There might be some trades or a buyout. The thought of a healthy lineup is actually amazing to me knowing how some of the kids play and if we get rid of the dead weight.

Forsberg had a bad game, but he made some great passes still. This kid will be good. Beck also was pretty bad as well.

It was kind of crazy that every time our 4th line was on the ice they had sustained pressure.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Top 6 Spaling

This is an interesting debate, but I'm with drw.

What is the final goal? Is it to win a few games? No. It is to bring the Stanley Cup to Nashville. Losing the next few games is a short-term-pain-long-term-gain thing that could land us the franchise C we need in Mackinnon. With a franchise player at C, D, and G, this team just needs to improve an already good supporting cast before Lord Stanley comes to Music City.

Call me a bad fan. Call me disloyal. Whatever. I want to see the Stanley Cup in gold, and if losing is the next few games is the best track to do that, so bet it. From day 1 of next year, I'm cheering for this team to go 82-0, but we have nothing to gain right now from winning.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:15 PM
WartracePred

Quote:

Agreed. Even Weber said guys are playing for contracts and roster spots before he realized he was being too honest. He followed up with playing for wins. But the first thing out of his mouth was contracts and roster spots.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:22 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Agreed. Even Weber said guys are playing for contracts and roster spots before he realized he was being too honest. He followed up with playing for wins. But the first thing out of his mouth was contracts and roster spots.
And I have zero problem with him saying that.

Yes, you want team players...but guys are also going to do what is best for them. You might play your way onto next year's team, or you might play your way to being a more valuable trade commodity. The one thing you don't want to do is play your way back to Milwaukee.

While you want to play to win, I'd rather have a team with a healthy level head, that knows the situation, than one that is getting frustrated with the (predictable) results of playing so many prospects.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:27 PM
WartracePred

Quote:

I'm cheering against them every night. Have been for a week or so. I check the standings and hope all the teams around the Preds are winning. I'm relieved when the Preds lose in regulation. I'm a pragmatist. And sometimes you throw convention out the window for a greater good. We aren't in the playoffs. We are fielding an AHL team. These last two weeks are basically practice for guys working on their game. Putting a w in the win column does absolutely nothing for the long term prospects of this team or city. Losing however yields a much better chance at landing a player that we all ***** about not having.

Being an absolutist in this situation is garbage.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
See this to me is ok, and I can almost agree with it.

But rooting for your team to lose, I can't agree with.
I'm with you on this. I was extremely active on some Kings message boards up until several years ago, and a string of seasons where a lot of the posters hoped and actively rooted for losses just stifled any real joy there was for me in trying to talk hockey, or even watching games. I guess it's how some best cope with the crap of a poor season, but...I can't say I ever enjoy watching the guys lose, or ever finding positives in that (even though the upside of a higher draft pick is quite obvious).

I guess, bottom line sometimes, don't let a message board affect your love of the game and the team, and worst case, just do your best to ignore it. Take it from someone who saw a love of his lifelong team partially wane because of it. At least you can take heart in knowing that the guys on the ice don't feel the same way.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:41 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I'm cheering against them every night. Have been for a week or so. I check the standings and hope all the teams around the Preds are winning. I'm relieved when the Preds lose in regulation. I'm a pragmatist. And sometimes you throw convention out the window for a greater good. We aren't in the playoffs. We are fielding an AHL team. These last two weeks are basically practice for guys working on their game. Putting a w in the win column does absolutely nothing for the long term prospects of this team or city. Losing however yields a much better chance at landing a player that we all ***** about not having.

Being an absolutist in this situation is garbage.
im with this guy.

i want us to lose the next 3 in regulation... but i promise there are still very few even on this message board that are a bigger fan than me. i know where my heart is.. im rooting for what's best for this franchise.. right now, its losing.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote