Whiteout

Old
04-19-2013, 10:42 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
How about instead of heckling the Winnipeg Jets fan, who paid HIS money, sitting in HIS seats, cheering for HIS team, that you guys heckle the opposing fans, who always manage to purchase tickets despite the rink being sold out for 5+ years, wearing the enemies jersey?!

Jesus H Christ some of you are unbelievable, we are all fans, we are all in the same boat cheering for the same team. What colour we wear doesn't define us. Our noise and our team feeding off said noise defines us. I can't believe some of you would stoop to the level of heckling other Jets fans, will you guys grow up? Honestly.

I'll wear whatever I feel like wearing that night WITH PRIDE, until TNSE formally states "we want everyone is white" it is MY CHOICE, and even then it's still MY CHOICE, they aren't going to deny me entry. Its enough for me being part of the Winnipeg Jets fan base where I can finally watch NHL hockey live in person after so many years without.

My $0.02.

Whatever. All you blueshirts are the same. Think you're above wearing white cause you're so darn cool.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:43 AM
jetsfan8

vCash: 500
Quote:
How about instead of heckling the Winnipeg Jets fan, who paid HIS money, sitting in HIS seats, cheering for HIS team, that you guys heckle the opposing fans, who always manage to purchase tickets despite the rink being sold out for 5+ years, wearing the enemies jersey?!

Jesus H Christ some of you are unbelievable, we are all fans, we are all in the same boat cheering for the same team. What colour we wear doesn't define us. Our noise and our team feeding off said noise defines us. I can't believe some of you would stoop to the level of heckling other Jets fans, will you guys grow up? Honestly.

I'll wear whatever I feel like wearing that night WITH PRIDE, until TNSE formally states "we want everyone is white" it is MY CHOICE, and even then it's still MY CHOICE, they aren't going to deny me entry. Its enough for me being part of the Winnipeg Jets fan base where I can finally watch NHL hockey live in person after so many years without.

My $0.02.

you arent going to be shot down, or kicked out, but you will be given a hard time
why?

because you will just look silly, and really there is no logical reason to not wear what everyone else will be wearing
unless of course you are one of them attention seekers.....lack some attention in your life so you gotta be different somehow i guess....

jetsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:44 AM
jetsfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenager View Post
I can't believe people are suggesting that a person wearing blue to a white-out wouldn't be heckled.

Setting aside whether it's right or not, have you seen how much people drink at a regular season game? Have you seen how passionate people get at a Tuesday evening tilt against Buffalo? There's no way you're not getting heckled if you decide to make yourself a target by knowingly rejecting the tradition everyone else is participating in.

I will never understand why some people feel they literally need to make themselves stand out in a crowd and ruin everyone else's fun.

exactly
thats all it is, a fee negative nellies looking for attention

they will be heckled, and get some interesting looks

after alcohol gets into people, there may be some nastiness

Old
04-19-2013, 10:58 AM
GrandChelems

Some folks are already forgetting that it can be fun to be a fan. Sure you're entitled to the "ME - ME - ME' attitude, but you're a serious downer to those that enjoy a little fun with others.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Steenager

Quote:
In the case of a white-out, the fanbase is deciding what defines it. You have every right not to participate, but you're not really being part of the fanbase as a collective (and will probably receive jeers as a result).

For all intents and purposes a blueshirt would be saying "I want the Winnipeg hockey team to win, but I'm not going to participate in what the Jets fans as a community are doing to identify with each other and show support".

Steenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:20 AM
wpgsilver

vCash: 50
I can't imagine people who regularly attending game jeering fellow Jets fans.
From my experience it wouldn't happen.
Perhaps I'm coddled in the lower bowl, but I can't foresee a situation in which people would hurl insults at ANYONE wear Jets gear, regardless of colour.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Prot

Only here in Winnipeg, could we actually have a disagreement about a whiteout.... I think the icing on the cake is we actually aren't in the playoffs as I write this.

Good job guys.

I think I'll wear off-white just to peeve off both sides of this ridiculous argument.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:25 AM
spicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Perhaps I'm coddled in the lower bowl, but I can't foresee a situation in which people would hurl insults at ANYONE wear Jets gear, regardless of colour.
i would give my fellow STHs sitting around me a hard time if they wore our Home jerseys to a White Out playoff game, but us STHs in the upper bowl are fairly laid back, and give each other hard times all the time. Its like a party up there.

I dont understand why a STH wouldnt take part in the White Out tradition. Just doesnt make sense to me.

spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Peter Tagli Eddie
All 3 of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I was lucky enough to go to a few 1.0 playoff whiteouts and I can tell you that people who didn't wear white got heckled. I know this because I was one of the hecklers.

Peter Tagli Eddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Gnova
CowboysR^2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenager View Post
In the case of a white-out, the fanbase is deciding what defines it. You have every right not to participate, but you're not really being part of the fanbase as a collective (and will probably receive jeers as a result).

For all intents and purposes a blueshirt would be saying "I want the Winnipeg hockey team to win, but I'm not going to participate in what the Jets fans as a community are doing to identify with each other and show support".
If enough fans didn't wear white and decided to wear blue I guess they are deciding that wearing white doesn't define them.

But let's be honest. Whenever the Jets do finally play a playoff game it's fans will wear white regardless of whether they want to or not because of peer pressure.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:33 AM
wpgsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy View Post
i would give my fellow STHs sitting around me a hard time if they wore our Home jerseys to a White Out playoff game, but us STHs in the upper bowl are fairly laid back, and give each other hard times all the time. Its like a party up there.

I dont understand why a STH wouldnt take part in the White Out tradition. Just doesnt make sense to me.
Busting balls, and heckling are different. Heck, I have a good enough relationship I'd rib the guys around me.
Good natured ribbing isn't an issue AFAIC, but heckling people "out of town" to me is ridiculous.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Whileee

Getting back to the OP, do it for Laddie...

Quote:
"The whiteout is the most appealing thing, and being a part of where that all started would be, for me, something that would be pretty cool to play in front off," Ladd said after Wednesday's practice.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:45 AM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:

My $0.02.
Yup. You're entitled to wear whatever you want. But honestly, it's not even about heckling the opponent, or paying the tickets with your own money, or choices or whatever.

This isn't about how politically correct you are. It's what the city of Winnipeg is about. Not having any tradition in the playoffs is the worst thing. Vancouver has one, Phoenix and Pittsburgh has one. Again, if anyone is against the whiteout, it shouldn't be about what their right is, it should be about WHY, the reason, that they don't want to wear white.

The unity of Jets fans is supporting this ONE team, the unity of Jets fans is chanting the SAME thing,
the unity of Jets fans being loud ALL at the SAME time, the unity of Jets fans is not by being entitled to wear whatever, to do whatever, or your rights or your wrongs.

It doesn't even have to come down to TNSE announcing the Whiteout. It should be like before, where they come in white because they are unified. Rebelliousness won't get anyone anywhere. Plus, it will be no ones fault but you, if fans in the stands laugh at you, stare at you, heckle you or hurt your feelings.

I've said it before but I hope this doesn't come down to putting down shirt in every seat just like in Phoenix. That doesn't show unity.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:57 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Whatever. All you blueshirts are the same. Think you're above wearing white cause you're so darn cool.
Haha dick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan8 View Post
you arent going to be shot down, or kicked out, but you will be given a hard time
why?

because you will just look silly, and really there is no logical reason to not wear what everyone else will be wearing
unless of course you are one of them attention seekers.....lack some attention in your life so you gotta be different somehow i guess....
Silly to you, but keep in mind there will be lots of people wearing the opposing teams jersey, hell it happens in regular season games (see the Leafs, Habs, Pens, Rangers, Sens, etc). What makes you think that those fans will wear white to support our whiteout?

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:10 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Silly to you, but keep in mind there will be lots of people wearing the opposing teams jersey, hell it happens in regular season games (see the Leafs, Habs, Pens, Rangers, Sens, etc). What makes you think that those fans will wear white to support our whiteout?
Here's your answer.

Quote:
because you will just look silly

Old
04-19-2013, 01:49 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
Here's your answer.
You think people cheering for our opponent care if they look silly to us?!

Old
04-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Haha dick!

Do you think that'll be an issue in the playoffs?

Watching 42 games of regular season hockey is a lot. I fully understand why a STH would sell/give his tickets to somebody else who really, really wants to see the Habs (or whomever).

But in the playoffs? If you've invested in STs you're a Jets fan, and you're going to want to see those playoff games.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 04:03 PM
jetsfan8

i think the real question here is WHY wouldnt you wear white if you are a jets fan
what would intrigue a jets fan to ignore tradition, history, and winnipeg playoff "thing" and go against it

what would inspire a jets fan to go to a home playoff game, not wearing white

thats really all i want to know from you non whiteout fans?

Old
04-19-2013, 04:07 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Do you think that'll be an issue in the playoffs?

Watching 42 games of regular season hockey is a lot. I fully understand why a STH would sell/give his tickets to somebody else who really, really wants to see the Habs (or whomever).

But in the playoffs? If you've invested in STs you're a Jets fan, and you're going to want to see those playoff games.
You might be surprised, people will pay good money to see their team (not the Jets) live here. It was the case against the teams I previously listed where against Toronto there were no less than 2000 Leafs fans in our crowd.

Quote:
i think the real question here is WHY wouldnt you wear white if you are a jets fan
what would intrigue a jets fan to ignore tradition, history, and winnipeg playoff "thing" and go against it

what would inspire a jets fan to go to a home playoff game, not wearing white

thats really all i want to know from you non whiteout fans?
Twofold

1) This isn't the Winnipeg Jets 1.0

2) How well did this tradition work back in the day (not very well if my mind serves right), besides our boys on the ice wear blue. Back in the day our team wore white, see the connection?

I realize I'm being a "negative nancy" but I am entitled to my opinions and to do what I want to do, especially after paying $13,000 for 4 season tickets and committing to $10,000 for playoffs. Anyone who tries to tell me otherwise can go to hell haha.

Last edited by ajmidd12: 04-19-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 04:21 PM
jetsfan8

Quote:
You might be surprised, people will pay good money to see their team (not the Jets) live here. It was the case against the teams I previously listed where against Toronto there were no less than 2000 Leafs fans in our crowd.

Twofold

2) How well did this tradition work back in the day (not very well if my mind serves right), besides our boys on the ice wear blue. Back in the day our team wore white, see the connection?

I realize I'm being a "negative nancy" but I am entitled to my opinions and to do what I want to do, especially after paying $13,000 for 4 season tickets and committing to $10,000 for playoffs. Anyone who tries to tell me otherwise can go to hell haha.

so you're supersticious?

Old
04-19-2013, 11:24 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:

Twofold

1) Pittsburgh and Phoenix did the whiteout, why shouldn't the city that started it practice it? The thing about people who are against the whiteout is, they say it's a Winnipeg 1.0 thing and that people can't move on, but the reality is, it's a Winnipeg thing, not based on the franchise. The Moose or the Wheatkings kinda did it, why not the new Jets?

2) The excuse of "unsuccessfulness" of the whiteout back in the day, isn't because of the whiteout. The guys are wearing blue, but will OCD kill you for not having matching colours? It's like the clingy girlfriend who wants her bf to wear the same colour of outfit, same brand on the same day. And again, the fact that Pitts and Phoenix did the whiteout, why shouldn't the city that started it practice it?

And again i'll post my say to the entitled people:

"Yup. You're entitled to wear whatever you want. But honestly, it's not even about heckling the opponent, or paying the tickets with your own money, or choices or whatever.

This isn't about how politically correct you are. It's what the city of Winnipeg is about. Not having any tradition in the playoffs is the worst thing. Vancouver has one, Phoenix and Pittsburgh has one. Again, if anyone is against the whiteout, it shouldn't be about what their right is, it should be about WHY, the reason, that they don't want to wear white.

The unity of Jets fans is supporting this ONE team, the unity of Jets fans is chanting the SAME thing,
the unity of Jets fans being loud ALL at the SAME time, the unity of Jets fans is not by being entitled to wear whatever, to do whatever, or your rights or your wrongs.

It doesn't even have to come down to TNSE announcing the Whiteout. It should be like before, where they come in white because they are unified. Rebelliousness won't get anyone anywhere. Plus, it will be no ones fault but you, if fans in the stands laugh at you, stare at you, heckle you or hurt your feelings.

I've said it before but I hope this doesn't come down to putting down shirt in every seat just like in Phoenix. That doesn't show unity."

Old
04-19-2013, 11:28 PM
JetsFlyHigh

So the reason for some people who refuse to wear white is:

1) The home team doesn't wear white (OCD)

2) The whiteout wasn't successful before (Superstitious) Not that it's a bad thing, but if that is your mind set, you could say that the Jets is not gonna be successful the second time around for Winnipeg, since it wasn't successful before.

3) Sense of entitlement ("Opinions") Nothing, just 'cause.

There you go. Atleast they were reasonable.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Gnova
CowboysR^2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
So the reason for some people who refuse to wear white is:

1) The home team doesn't wear white (OCD)

2) The whiteout wasn't successful before (Superstitious) Not that it's a bad thing, but if that is your mind set, you could say that the Jets is not gonna be successful the second time around for Winnipeg, since it wasn't successful before.

3) Sense of entitlement ("Opinions") Nothing, just 'cause.

There you go. Atleast they were reasonable.
The sarcasm emoticon doesn't really fit except on your last line btw.

#4. All white shirts are in the laundry

#5. Don't own any white shirts.

Lol. Those would be my real reasons, especially #5. White shirt? Me? Haven't owned one without a neck size in over a decade.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:43 AM
AndersUlfBobby
Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1

No.... I don't care.... I'm wearing my blue Jets 2.0 jersey just like I have for all the 67 other Jets games I've attended. I don't care if I stand out like a sore thumb.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Jets
All hat, no cattle.

vCash: 920
I think it goes beyond just wearing white. Without getting into a who's a better fan than who argument, just think for a second about what a fan is. A fan is any person who supports a team. In whatever way they decide to do this is their own personal choice. However, when said team is playing in their arena, any fan in attendance becomes part of the crowd.

Excuse my cliche, but in this case it is exactly the definition of following the crowd. If the crowd wears white at home for the playoffs, then in order to be a "member" of said crowd, you must also wear white. Otherwise you're pretty much trying to be your own trendsetter (hipster) or something and just being a stubborn ass in my opinion. Basically by not wearing white you make a statement that you don't care enough about fitting in with the crowd (which is a good thing sometimes).

It's those fans who don't want to be a part of the crowd that can in fact "ruin" the tradition by not participating. I'd assume it is those very same fans who probably were all on board with being named the jets again, but yet don't care enough to carry on the traditions and whatnot...

It's really not that difficult to own a piece of white clothing, or buy a 5 dollar t shirt to fit in. If you can spend at least 100 per seat to watch a playoff game, I'm sure you're going to the game to be a part of the atmosphere and can afford the 5 dollar shirt to make it fun. Otherwise you could save some money and stay home and wear your blue. If you go to the game wearing blue, you're really just missing out.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote