HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Visor/Facemasks

Old
09-04-2006, 12:37 PM
yotesfan92

vCash: 500
Visor/Facemasks

I am about to buy a new helmet and cant decide whether to just buy a cage one or a half visor, half cage one. Anybody have any opinions on visors? Do they fog, are they better than cages? Are they easier to see with??

yotesfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
Depends on what type of league and level of hockey you will be playing. If it's a men's beer league with no contact and people can for the most part control their sticks, coupled with the fact that you are a decent player yourself, then a visor should do the trick.

But if it's a full contact rec league or a physical league where people can't control their lumber, then I'd recommend a full cage.

I fully back the CCM FM480, it's pretty much the standard in college hockey.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 01:13 PM
saskatchewanoilerfan

Yeah, if players aren't out to injure someone but just to have fun, then all you should need if a half visor, or maybe even no visor at all.

saskatchewanoilerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 01:22 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

personal i use a half visor. i dont have problems with it fogging up.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 05:02 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
I use a full cage. Its chromed, so its easy to see out of. I'd rather wear a full cage than lose some teeth or break my jaw..You never know what can happen even in a no-contact or rec league.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
My cage has saved me from at least two broken noses and several broken teeth. Unless you fully trust everyone you play with to keep the sticks and elbows down, I suggest the full cage. It doesn't impair my play at all, and it's nice to know I don't have to worry about covering my face all the time.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 07:05 PM
dabid

I have a half visor/half cage when I play. I gotta lose a lot of weight.

dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 08:43 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
I've used the visor and visor/cage combo. Idk if I could go for a full cage...kinda funky to me personally. The visor was fine, and it covered a larger amount of my face as compared to some of those micro tiny visors you see around, it was an Itech HLC. It really only left my mouth open to injury. But after some close calls, decided not to risk it. The combo is heavier than a visor and I don't like the chin cup, but I got used to it. Fogging has not been an issue for me, and I wear glasses too. Just smear shampoo over the inside and buff it off and you'll be fine.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Avery4Byng*

No cage or visor for me, if someone is dumb enough to knock my teeth out I will break their face.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Geogaddi

I've always had a half visor/half cage...for some reason i just couldn't get used to seeing in a cage. Have only had one visor constantly fog up on me and it was a very old one.

I've now moved to just a visor. Its a risk im willing to take, but my main priority is my eyes. I will always wear atleast a visor when playing. But its all up to what you can play with or cant.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Phoenix

If you are mildly short-sighted does having a cage make your vision even worse?? cos I am, but I don't wear glasses/contacts when i play. But my visions bad enough that I can't see facial expressions half a rink away. Actually, this might be a dumb question, but do you guys rely on facial expression much when you play? I'm just starting in a league but so far havent found it a problem cos I can't see past people's masks anyway.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Gino 14

I played for three years without any incident. In the span of two weeks, I was hit in the facemask with a deflected puck and went to poke a puck and had the other team's player's stick travel up mine and hit me in the cage. The last shot, had I not been wearing a cage would more than likely have broken my jaw. It's not a question of if you will get hurt, but when, it's inevitable. If you are willing to loose teeth, or possibily even your vision, go without the cage. Wearing a cage or a visor is a desicion you have to make on your own. If you have to come to a forum like this and ask, you should probably wear a cage.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Nbr-17

I've also taken shots and stick of the cage. I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do than sit in a dentists chair for hours on end. Also dental work can get quite pricey rather quickly and even dental coverage runs out eventually.
Also I'm pretty sure my customers and employer would be really impressed if I showed up with a stitched up face one day.
The mouthguard will not totally prevent loosing teeth and it only covers the top teeth anyways.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
The mouthguard will not totally prevent loosing teeth and it only covers the top teeth anyways.

Actually, the biggest benefit to wearing a mouthguard isn't teeth protection, it is huge in preventing or lessening concussions. The mothguard lessenes the impact of the lower jaw into the upper jaw when a players head hits the boards. That's why it's required with the younger players.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Actually, the biggest benefit to wearing a mouthguard isn't teeth protection, it is huge in preventing or lessening concussions. The mothguard lessenes the impact of the lower jaw into the upper jaw when a players head hits the boards. That's why it's required with the younger players.
Which is why I wear one eventhouh I wear a full cage.

Old
09-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray View Post
No cage or visor for me, if someone is dumb enough to knock my teeth out I will break their face.
Touche

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Duff88

Quote:

Who cares about teeth? If you lose your eye, I don't think you're going to be able to go break the face of the one who put highsticked you. Either way, breaking their face won't bring back your eye so why take the risk?

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 08:37 PM
yotesfan92

Well I play in a bantam league, so full faces are required, and most kids are out there to throw their body around and aren't too controlled. I was just wondering if a visor fogged up?? I have always played with a cage so i dont know. So are visors easier to see with, or do they scratch and fog too much???

http://hockeymonkey.com/newitopfx50f.html

yotesfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 12:23 AM
BCCHL inactive

In this day and age, clear visors are pretty well all made with anti-fog coating. I've never had a fog problem in 10 years wearing a visor.

BCCHL inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Avery4Byng*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post

Who cares about teeth? If you lose your eye, I don't think you're going to be able to go break the face of the one who put highsticked you. Either way, breaking their face won't bring back your eye so why take the risk?
True enough. I have tried wearing a visor, i have trouble following the puck with it for some reason....

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 12:55 AM
VisionQuest*

I wear a half, because the only time I ever skate out is in pickup or stick time, Im in net the rest of the time. Pretty non-physical hockey.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesfan92 View Post
I was just wondering if a visor fogged up?? I have always played with a cage so i dont know. So are visors easier to see with, or do they scratch and fog too much???

http://hockeymonkey.com/newitopfx50f.html
I have the FX50 and the only time it would fog up for me was in the summer on a particularly humid & sticky day.

Old
09-06-2006, 09:45 AM
sc37

vCash: 450
Use shampoo on your visor. It's what I do, and tell everyone else the same.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 01:57 PM
mac-sniper

why dont u try a half visor half cage? they dont fog up, excellent vision...i use a visor in the summer but i use a full cage for university, halfie for college..,wear a moutguard regardless

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Biggsy

Quote:
True enough. I have tried wearing a visor, i have trouble following the puck with it for some reason....
Yeah i wore a shield for a season, then it got scuffed so i tookit off then tried wearing it again felt weird couldnt get use to it BUT debating on whether or not to get another one

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote