HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO NUFF View Post
ISS has him ranked #2, he's top 5 on Craig Button's list, and Bob McKenzie said on Team 1260 just today Nichushkin has cracked a lot of scouts top 4. He also said that many think he's every bit as good as Mackinnon and Drouin. Russian factor/KHL contract will be considerations, but this guy will be off the board extremely early. We should hope his stock continues to rise, it makes it more likely to have a shot at Barkov if he somehow slides to #5.
I'm really hoping Barkov will be this year's Filip Forsberg/Grigorenko/Sean Coururier. I seem to remember all being strongly considered top 3 forwards in their drafts and falling to 11, 12 and 8

Last edited by Bergeron47: 04-19-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

This board definitely changed their tune on Barkov, at least compared to a few days ago when everyone seemed to think it was ridiculous to take him in the top 3. I stand by what I said, even if we're 2nd I'd take Barkov. Only guy I'd take over him is Jones. Perfect fit for our team, has the size and the defense but his offense might exceed expectations too.

I think we're getting Barkov or Monahan, which one is still up in the air. I'm back to hoping for losses because I think Barkov really is the perfect fit, not just for the team but even for Yakupov and Pajaarvi.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:35 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Nurse is already very defensively advanced for his age.

There's very few NHLers that have Nurse's combination of wingspan and skating. And basically none with his combination of wingspan, skating and nastiness.

I'm pretty confident that he could be an impact NHLer as early as next season.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that is a big Nurse fan. He didn't look too great in the top prospects game. The way he plays the game and leads his team will make any team drafting him glad that they did. He might not be as talented as Jones but he throws hits and has that nasty side that teams want. He will be in the NHL next season or the season after.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:41 PM
MetaOil1993

Jones or Barkov are a perfect fit for us. Nurse or Monahan aren't a bad consolation prize either if we miss out in them.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Actually, given management's verbal on trying to find a potential top 6er with a power forward game and frame, I would say Nichushkin has to be right there with Monahan for the top guys in our range.

He's an incredibly intriguing player. He has all the tools of a Jaromir Jagr and I think he will give every team that passes him nightmares for the next 20 years. Maybe the Russian factor isn't such a huge concern for us, considering we have Yak as our ambassador?

In any case, I would be very very happy with Nichushkin. I'd still rank him behind Monahan and Lindholm for who I would want to see us select, but I think his ceiling is higher than both of theirs. The top end of this draft is absolutely ridiculous. I honestly can't recall a draft that had this many guys of this high a quality in the time I've been really following prospects (since 2001).
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more talk of Nicushkin. He's also a big, skilled, centre with good skating ability, and I fear the alleged 'Russian' factor less now with Yakupov here. I do realize Nicushkin has another 2 years on his KHL contract, which might not be a bad thing. Wasn't Malkin a couple of years late in coming over as well, or am I mistaken?

Unlike Barkov, I think Nicushkin could conceivably fall (but maybe not past 6 or 7) to a range where we might be able to draft or possibly trade up.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:03 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more talk of Nicushkin. He's also a big, skilled, centre with good skating ability, and I fear the alleged 'Russian' factor less now with Yakupov here. I do realize Nicushkin has another 2 years on his KHL contract, which might not be a bad thing. Wasn't Malkin a couple of years late in coming over as well, or am I mistaken?

Unlike Barkov, I think Nicushkin could conceivably fall (but maybe not past 6 or 7) to a range where we might be able to draft or possibly trade up.
He is a winger according to all reports, not a centre. But yeah, the "Russian factor" holds no sway with me whatsoever.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
He is a winger according to all reports, not a centre. But yeah, the "Russian factor" holds no sway with me whatsoever.
Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification; that's why. I guess the weighting falls back in favour of Monahan then (I still don't think we'll be fortunate enough to be in contention to draft Barkov, and unlikely to get Monahan -- but he's a more realistic as an attainable target than Barkov).

Old
04-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post

Winger, have been whispers that his hockey IQ isn't very good.

Russian factor isn't an issue on why people aren't talking about him.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:42 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Winger, have been whispers that his hockey IQ isn't very good.

Russian factor isn't an issue on why people aren't talking about him.
Yes it is, and he signed for another two years with Traktor.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:56 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that is a big Nurse fan. He didn't look too great in the top prospects game. The way he plays the game and leads his team will make any team drafting him glad that they did. He might not be as talented as Jones but he throws hits and has that nasty side that teams want. He will be in the NHL next season or the season after.
I'm a huge Nurse fan as well but he is nowhere near ready for the NHL. First he needs to gain about 30 pounds (which isnt going to happen in a year and wouldnr be good for his game, namely mobility, if it did). Second, he's great defensively but he still needs to refine his game more.

Rushing him to the NHL would be the worst thing for his development. If you want him to be what he can, then patience needs to be used with him. Actually most defensemen this could apply for but under developed dmen for sure.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Yes it is, and he signed for another two years with Traktor.
Maybe on other forums.

But on the Oilers where the team is already overloaded with high end wingers and zero center ice depth, he's not a fit.

The contract is irrelevant.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:08 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
This board definitely changed their tune on Barkov, at least compared to a few days ago when everyone seemed to think it was ridiculous to take him in the top 3. I stand by what I said, even if we're 2nd I'd take Barkov. Only guy I'd take over him is Jones. Perfect fit for our team, has the size and the defense but his offense might exceed expectations too.

I think we're getting Barkov or Monahan, which one is still up in the air. I'm back to hoping for losses because I think Barkov really is the perfect fit, not just for the team but even for Yakupov and Pajaarvi.
Most of the board hasn't seen Barkov Im willing to bet. But they've read some scouting reports and now are gaga. It's like a lot of the prospects.....when I read some comments you can tell who has actually watched the player and who are using scouting reports they have read.

People fail to realize that most scouting reports are talking about best case scenario. The actual play isn't as good as they are talked about in the reports.

Lets use Nurse as an example. He has top pairing potential when you read his scouting reports. When you watch him their are definitely aspects tht jump out at you but he isn't a top dmen even in the OHL yet. He still has to become a dominant dmen in the OHL. How is he going to be playing in the NHL (effectively) if he isn't dominating juniors yet?

And not to be mean, but most of the posters on this board are scouting report readers and then argue because of what they read and then believe is reality

Old
04-19-2013, 10:28 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I'm a huge Nurse fan as well but he is nowhere near ready for the NHL. First he needs to gain about 30 pounds (which isnt going to happen in a year and wouldnr be good for his game, namely mobility, if it did). Second, he's great defensively but he still needs to refine his game more.

Rushing him to the NHL would be the worst thing for his development. If you want him to be what he can, then patience needs to be used with him. Actually most defensemen this could apply for but under developed dmen for sure.
30lbs is probably stretching it.

He doesn't have a huge frame. I think he's only about 15lbs from where he'd start his NHL career at. 210lbs is pretty big for a 19 year old even at 6'5''.

And anyways, I was only saying he could be an impact NHLer as early as next season, not saying he should be.

My main point was having to wait one extra year for Nurse is well worth it rather than trading the pick for Gormley because he might make an impact next season.

Quote:
Lets use Nurse as an example. He has top pairing potential when you read his scouting reports. When you watch him their are definitely aspects tht jump out at you but he isn't a top dmen even in the OHL yet. He still has to become a dominant dmen in the OHL. How is he going to be playing in the NHL (effectively) if he isn't dominating juniors yet?
I have to question how many times you've seen him play.

Closer to the end of the season, he was one of(if not the most) dominating defenseman I saw in the OHL this season.

Last edited by dnicks17: 04-19-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 10:42 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
30lbs is probably stretching it.

He doesn't have a huge frame. I think he's only about 15lbs from where he'd start his NHL career at. 210lbs is pretty big for a 19 year old even at 6'5''.

And anyways, I was only saying he could be an impact NHLer as early as next season, not saying he should be.

My main point was having to wait one extra year for Nurse is well worth it rather than trading the pick for Gormley because he might make an impact next season.

I have to question how many times you've seen him play.

Closer to the end of the season, he was one of(if not the most) dominating defenseman I saw in the OHL this season.
Dnicks get real...you say you watch the OHL and Nurse is one of the best dmen in the league?

Go read my comment again.

Anyways, I'm pretty comfortable with my knowledge of the OHL and WHL and know what I watch. I also have a good hunch who doesnt and read Brock Otten, Readline, McKeens, Future Consideration, THW, Hockey Prospectus, The Scouting Report, etc and regurgitate what they have said. It's pretty obvious actually

Old
04-19-2013, 10:44 PM
dnicks17

How many times have you seen him play?

I'd be pretty confident in saying I've seen him more of his OHL games live than you've seen in total.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
How many times have you seen him play?

I'd be pretty confident in saying I've seen him more of his OHL games live than you've seen in total.
Does Nurse have an offensive game that will translate? Everything you've said has me intrigued, he sounds like just the kinda kid this team could use.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:29 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Does Nurse have an offensive game that will translate? Everything you've said has me intrigued, he sounds like just the kinda kid this team could use.
I think his offensive game will translate. It improved leaps and bounds this season.

The main thing he improved on was decision making. He wasn't doing well in that regard at the beginning of the season. It was probably why some were questioning his hockey sense. He started making better decisions and playing with more poise and you could tell he was playing more instinctively.

He's got a pretty solid outlet pass and even started skating the puck out and joining the rush later in the year.

And with limited PP time, he even looked pretty good QBing the PP.

I don't think he'll end up an overly offensive NHLer, but I don't think it'll be a weakness either though.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
I think his offensive game will translate. It improved leaps and bounds this season.

The main thing he improved on was decision making. He wasn't doing well in that regard at the beginning of the season. It was probably why some were questioning his hockey sense. He started making better decisions and playing with more poise and you could tell he was playing more instinctively.

He's got a pretty solid outlet pass and even started skating the puck out and joining the rush later in the year.

And with limited PP time, he even looked pretty good QBing the PP.

I don't think he'll end up an overly offensive NHLer, but I don't think it'll be a weakness either though.
Well decent offensively with toughness, meanness and good defense is a solid player.

About his decision making, is it good hockey sense with increased experience, or is it improving because of his physical skills? I worry in the NHL that if it's that latter it will be exposed.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:52 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Well decent offensively with toughness, meanness and good defense is a solid player.

About his decision making, is it good hockey sense with increased experience, or is it improving because of his physical skills? I worry in the NHL that if it's that latter it will be exposed.
I think it had to do with experience. He just looked a little lost and like he was maybe over-thinking things. He didn't play a whole lot in his rookie season last year and had similar problems then too, so it might have just even been a confidence issue.

He's always had the size and skating, so I wouldn't worry about the physical side having to do with it.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

How does Nurse compare to a guy like Cowen coming out?

04-19-2013, 11:58 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
How does Nurse compare to a guy like Cowen coming out?
I've only seen Cowen in the NHL, so I can't really compare them at the junior level, but I think Nurse is a better skater and will be harder to play against, but Cowen is probably a good comparable for the type of NHLer you might be looking at with Nurse.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
I think it had to do with experience. He just looked a little lost and like he was maybe over-thinking things. He didn't play a whole lot in his rookie season last year and had similar problems then too, so it might have just even been a confidence issue.

He's always had the size and skating, so I wouldn't worry about the physical side having to do with it.
I think he's a better player and prospect, but I think about Shawn Belle, all the tools, but hockey sense just isn't close to an NHL level. Which is too bad.

I'm not saying that's Nurse, it's just my concern. However I would like to believe that to be this high end of a prospect hockey sense shouldn't be an issue, and my small concerns aside, he sounds like he would make an very very good addition.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:19 AM
Mikey71

Having seen him here in the Soo for the past few years, he is a combination of Adam Foote, Shea Weber and Jason Smith, with a little bit of Wayne Simmonds. Yeah I know, the Simmonds thing seems a bit off, but that is the direction I go when the gloves come off. There is a point where the kid simply plays angry.... THAT gets fun to watch.

He has hockey sense, is a gym rat, and has the pedigree with relatives to be a very safe pick from 5 thru 10. He doesn't just have a famous uncle, he draws from that uncle's experience quite often.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:49 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Most of the board hasn't seen Barkov Im willing to bet. But they've read some scouting reports and now are gaga. It's like a lot of the prospects.....when I read some comments you can tell who has actually watched the player and who are using scouting reports they have read.

People fail to realize that most scouting reports are talking about best case scenario. The actual play isn't as good as they are talked about in the reports.

And not to be mean, but most of the posters on this board are scouting report readers and then argue because of what they read and then believe is reality
Not mean and you're right. I've only seen Barkov play a couple times myself, I'm just a fan and not a scout. Reports on him have been consistent for the last couple years, kids a stud and keeps living up to all the hype at every step.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:14 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey71 View Post
Having seen him here in the Soo for the past few years, he is a combination of Adam Foote, Shea Weber and Jason Smith, with a little bit of Wayne Simmonds. Yeah I know, the Simmonds thing seems a bit off, but that is the direction I go when the gloves come off. There is a point where the kid simply plays angry.... THAT gets fun to watch.

He has hockey sense, is a gym rat, and has the pedigree with relatives to be a very safe pick from 5 thru 10. He doesn't just have a famous uncle, he draws from that uncle's experience quite often.
Who is his uncle?