HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Amnesty buyout for Umberger?

Old
04-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Mike Smitley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
We aren't exactly hurting for cap space so I don't see a reason to amnesty him.

I'd rather pay him and have him be a productive energy guy than pay him to play somewhere else.
My favorite scenario has the Jackets and Umberger sitting down to draft a replacement contract for less pay and fewer years on the basis that RJ would rather stay in columbus than be bought out to play for a different team.

Mike Smitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 04:37 AM
major major

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smitley View Post
My favorite scenario has the Jackets and Umberger sitting down to draft a replacement contract for less pay and fewer years on the basis that RJ would rather stay in columbus than be bought out to play for a different team.
There's no such thing as a replacement contract. No re-negotiations. One possible exception is if RJ is waived and he refuses to report to Springfield, then there is precedent for voiding his current deal (according to Elliotte Friedman this happened with Vincent Riendeau). But that was about 15 years ago, there is probably a good reason it hasn't happened since.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:12 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
There's no such thing as a replacement contract. No re-negotiations. One possible exception is if RJ is waived and he refuses to report to Springfield, then there is precedent for voiding his current deal (according to Elliotte Friedman this happened with Vincent Riendeau). But that was about 15 years ago, there is probably a good reason it hasn't happened since.
Tim Thomas .

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote