Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Top '97 for 2013 Q draft

Old
02-18-2013, 07:35 AM
cgjoe64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
I have been told that Noel and Picco who both are at Shattuck the last two years have had to pay there way like the rest of the students somewhere in the 40-50k range not sure what Noels father does for a living but Picco's dad is a Lawyer.I am sure there are different deals for each situation, two other NFLD players that I know of that went away are Scales and Howell I think both are in Ontario.
All 4 of these kids are extremely gifted players. Scales lives in Labrador, which does not have a AAA midget team. He would have to go somewhere to play a reasonable level of hockey. A prep school was only sensible route for him. Holwell is living with a relative, though I hear now he may be back for U16 newfoundland team and Q Draft.
Nathan Noel was so far above the pack it made sense to leave for better competition. His success at Shattuck shows this was a sensible move. Picco was already living away from his home town (3 hours) to play hockey. Buddies with Noel, so it was a sensible move logistically for him. It is not about the parents with these kids. I know them all. Logistics here are far harder than on the Mainland, hence one of our AAA midget teams folded earlier this year. Some of the kids face a 2 hour or more, road trip each way, just to practice. The expense can be huge with travel, so the prep school fees are not a huge jump. Living away with generous relatives can be the only way for some to manage financially.
Each one of these kids will be a legitimate NHL prospect if they continue to develop and stay healthy.
All the current NHL players from here had to leave the province to develop

cgjoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:52 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjoe64 View Post
All 4 of these kids are extremely gifted players. Scales lives in Labrador, which does not have a AAA midget team. He would have to go somewhere to play a reasonable level of hockey. A prep school was only sensible route for him. Holwell is living with a relative, though I hear now he may be back for U16 newfoundland team and Q Draft.
Nathan Noel was so far above the pack it made sense to leave for better competition. His success at Shattuck shows this was a sensible move. Picco was already living away from his home town (3 hours) to play hockey. Buddies with Noel, so it was a sensible move logistically for him. It is not about the parents with these kids. I know them all. Logistics here are far harder than on the Mainland, hence one of our AAA midget teams folded earlier this year. Some of the kids face a 2 hour or more, road trip each way, just to practice. The expense can be huge with travel, so the prep school fees are not a huge jump. Living away with generous relatives can be the only way for some to manage financially.
Each one of these kids will be a legitimate NHL prospect if they continue to develop and stay healthy.
Yeah that all makes sense.. hard to know the situation for every kid. My point is that if we keep exporting our best players we are not going to grow our programs. There are lots of kids who live 2 or 3 hours away from their respective Midget Major teams on the mainland too. Most billet I believe. So if the cost of playing and billeting is lets estimate $10k per year.. that is still considerably cheaper than lets say $40k which is likely the average for Prep.

If you're wondering why I care, its because over the past 20 years the price to play hockey has skyrocketed for the average player. It seems the hockey community is creating a system where only the wealthy can get to the top because they are the only ones that can afford the summer camps, the spring hockey and now the prep school or moving away to play. Where does it end, and how many good players don't develop to the best potential because the cream of the crop have all moved away to play. And I also question the return on the $40k. All of those players would have been drafted or on the Q radar no matter where they played.

Last edited by NBHockey: 02-18-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Typo :P
NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
cgjoe64

I agree. Cost is huge, about $ 7500 for dues alone in Newfoundland for a 4 team league. Losing the top players is huge on the other kids. The 97 Bantom AAA team that was runner up at the Atlantics at Peewee did not even Qualify as the Newfoundland representative without those players.
As far as development goes, a lot of the kids who were in all the extra schools and camps are developed early, and progress drops of at midget for many. The other kids start to catch up at this age as they become more focused on hockey and gain more ice time.
Hockey has become a rich mans game. You see it in all sports, that many kids slip away because of cost. The whole set up of hockey encourages parents to shell out money in the quest for that NHL dream or College scholarship. Maybe the answer is to adopt the european soccer model where a senior club scouts a young player, signs him up and in return for owning his rights trains him in an academy syastem.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:06 PM
ClemQ

Quote:
I agree. Cost is huge, about $ 7500 for dues alone in Newfoundland for a 4 team league. Losing the top players is huge on the other kids. The 97 Bantom AAA team that was runner up at the Atlantics at Peewee did not even Qualify as the Newfoundland representative without those players.
As far as development goes, a lot of the kids who were in all the extra schools and camps are developed early, and progress drops of at midget for many. The other kids start to catch up at this age as they become more focused on hockey and gain more ice time.
Hockey has become a rich mans game. You see it in all sports, that many kids slip away because of cost. The whole set up of hockey encourages parents to shell out money in the quest for that NHL dream or College scholarship. Maybe the answer is to adopt the european soccer model where a senior club scouts a young player, signs him up and in return for owning his rights trains him in an academy syastem.
Europeans have been using the "sports school" model for decades. Not only does it promote the sport and devellopment, but, it also provides motivation and a stimulating environment for kids to learn. As much as teachers dont like hearing it...not all kids like going to school. When they know they will lace the skates everyday as part of school, for some of those kids, that can be the difference between enjoying school or not.
This not only applies for sports, but also applies for music, dance, anything really that kids enjoy.

this is another topic that is an endless debate...

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:01 PM
cgjoe64

Anyway, Here are my picks of the top Newfoundland 97's
Forwards
Nathan Noel
Curtis Scales
Jordon King
Adam Caines

Defense
Adam Holwell
Andrew Picco
Riley Baggs
Iain Gamba

Goalies
Chris Smith

Old
02-18-2013, 03:45 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Logistics in NB are just as tough if you want to play AAA Midget as both Mirimichi and Fredericton have kids that billet.The farthest draw area for Fredericton is about 3 hours north and about 2 1/2 north for kids in Mirimichi.Like I have said it is up to each family on what they feel is best for there kid , there is nothing wrong with prep schools , maybe the hockey at each provincial level will have to explore away to keep kids in there province for example if you leave for prep school and decide to return you may have to sit out a year ? who knows what the answer is , this will be a discussing that will go on for ever.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:45 PM
rwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Most Prep schools are full of rich people's kids. Some of those kids are sent there because they get into trouble etc. It doesn't gaurantee that the school environment is better here.

Anyone seen the U16 lists for the other Provinces out yet?
U16 lists won't be released until after the Major Midget Atlantics tournament out of respect for the players and teams still playing.

rwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
qc2nf

Here is the list for the May tournament for the 97 kids from QC.

Voici la liste des quarante joueurs invités pour les deux premières activités de sélection d'Équipe Québec:

Gardiens
Booth Callum Salisbury

Povall James Lions du Lac St-Louis

Samuel Antoine Commandeurs Lévis

Tremblay Olivier Élites de Jonquière

Défenseurs

Allard Frédéric Blizzard SSF

Bell Jason Rousseau Laval-Montréal

Bourque Simon Riverains du C.C.L.

Brisebois Guillaume Gaulois CAG

Carignan-Labbé Julien Blizzard SSF

Chabot Thomas Commandeurs de Lévis

Galipeau Olivier Phénix CEB

Henley David Forestiers de Amos

Lalonde Bradley Royal Lac St-Louis

Lauzon Jérémy Forestiers de Amos

Meloche Nicolas Vikings de St-Eustache

Roy Jérémy Gaulois CAG

Avants

Alain Alexandre Blizzard SSF

Aquin Pascal Pionniers Lanaudière

Beauvillier Anthony Gaulois CAG

Blier Samuel Estacades

Bouchard Jérémy Grenadiers de Chateauguay

Chamberland Philippe Riverains du C.C.L.

Désy Xavier Albatros CND

Dostie Alex Cantonniers de Magog

Dove-Mcfalls Samuel Tigres Lac St-Louis

Fontaine Gabriel Cantonniers de Magog

Fortier Maxime Lions du Lac St-Louis

Fortin Alexandre Phénix CEB

Fournier Jordan Ty Lions du Lac St-Louis

Gauthier Julien Rousseau Laval-Montréal

Gignac Brandon Phénix CEB

Léger Éric Phénix CEB

Nadeau Mathieu Commandeurs de Lévis

Pelletier-Leblanc Philippe Intrépide de Gatineau

Petawabano Cody Oakville

Phelan James Rousseau Laval Montréal

Poulin Charles-Anthony Cantonniers de Magog

Roy Nicolas Forestiers de Amos

Simounet Julien Riverains du C.C.L.

Sprong Daniel Tigres Lac St-Louis

qc2nf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:46 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Should be a strong team.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutqc View Post
Here is the list for the May tournament for the 97 kids from QC.

Voici la liste des quarante joueurs invités pour les deux premières activités de sélection d'Équipe Québec:

Gardiens
Booth Callum Salisbury

Povall James Lions du Lac St-Louis

Samuel Antoine Commandeurs Lévis

Tremblay Olivier Élites de Jonquière

Défenseurs

Allard Frédéric Blizzard SSF

Bell Jason Rousseau Laval-Montréal

Bourque Simon Riverains du C.C.L.

Brisebois Guillaume Gaulois CAG

Carignan-Labbé Julien Blizzard SSF

Chabot Thomas Commandeurs de Lévis

Galipeau Olivier Phénix CEB

Henley David Forestiers de Amos

Lalonde Bradley Royal Lac St-Louis

Lauzon Jérémy Forestiers de Amos

Meloche Nicolas Vikings de St-Eustache

Roy Jérémy Gaulois CAG

Avants

Alain Alexandre Blizzard SSF

Aquin Pascal Pionniers Lanaudière

Beauvillier Anthony Gaulois CAG

Blier Samuel Estacades

Bouchard Jérémy Grenadiers de Chateauguay

Chamberland Philippe Riverains du C.C.L.

Désy Xavier Albatros CND

Dostie Alex Cantonniers de Magog

Dove-Mcfalls Samuel Tigres Lac St-Louis

Fontaine Gabriel Cantonniers de Magog

Fortier Maxime Lions du Lac St-Louis

Fortin Alexandre Phénix CEB

Fournier Jordan Ty Lions du Lac St-Louis

Gauthier Julien Rousseau Laval-Montréal

Gignac Brandon Phénix CEB

Léger Éric Phénix CEB

Nadeau Mathieu Commandeurs de Lévis

Pelletier-Leblanc Philippe Intrépide de Gatineau

Petawabano Cody Oakville

Phelan James Rousseau Laval Montréal

Poulin Charles-Anthony Cantonniers de Magog

Roy Nicolas Forestiers de Amos

Simounet Julien Riverains du C.C.L.

Sprong Daniel Tigres Lac St-Louis
This looks like the players that will make up both Quebec teams , have they been divided up into teams as of yet.?

Old
03-28-2013, 12:47 PM
jfb392

Interesting that Petawabano is on the list, meaning he's likely in the draft, which goes along with what has been said the last few months.
At 6'4'' 230 already and a decent skill set, he could be a rare breed in the Q.

If the name sounds familiar, his dad Rodney played a single season in the league for Chicoutimi in the 90's despite having no formal minor hockey experience.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:22 AM
seagle

http://www.hockeynovascotia.ca/hns_12370_47515.html

Backstopping Team Nova Scotia in goal are Blade Mann-Dixon (Cape Breton West Major Midget/Antigonish) and Rowan O’Brien (Cole Harbour Major Midget/Halifax).

Team Nova Scotia’s blueline will be made up of defencemen Jake Brien (Ridley College/Sydney), Cameron Lee (Northwood Prep/Herring Cove), Daniel Little (Halifax Major Midget/Sackville), Duncan MacKie (Valley Major Midget/Kentville), Nick Welsh (Halifax Major Midget/Halifax), and Brandon Worthen (Dartmouth Major Midget/Dartmouth).

Playing up front for Team Nova Scotia are forwards Noah Bauld (Northwood Prep/Halifax), Dillon Boucher (Halifax Major Midget/Head Chezzetcook), Jordan Boyd (Rothesay Prep/Bedford), Lane Cormier (Pictou Major Midget/Stellarton), Jesse Hamer (Dartmouth Major Midget/Spryfield), Alex MacDonald (Dartmouth Major Midget/Sackville), Makail Parker (Valley Major Midget/Newport), Layton Parsons (Halifax Major Midget/Dartmouth), Campbell Pickard (Halifax Major Midget/Halifax), Luc Poirier (Halifax Major Midget/Bedford), Brett Tidman (Valley Major Midget/Kingston), and Colby Tower (Cape Breton West Major Midget/Inverness).

seagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagle View Post
Jake Brien (Ridley College/Sydney)
Which one is it:

-He got a lot better when he went to Ridley
-There aren't many D available for the team
-They're trying to see how he compares to others in the draft because he was playing in a different league then most

based off seeing him in bantam, that one confused me the most. With that said it's been over a year since I saw him last

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:13 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Which one is it:

-He got a lot better when he went to Ridley
-There aren't many D available for the team
-They're trying to see how he compares to others in the draft because he was playing in a different league then most

based off seeing him in bantam, that one confused me the most. With that said it's been over a year since I saw him last
Any word about PEI and NFLD what they have for teams

Old
04-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Hockey Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
Any word about PEI and NFLD what they have for teams
PEI
G:Hughes & Shea
D: Cormier, Jenkins B, Jenkins C, Ronahan, Sanderson, Webster
F:Arsenault, Corney, Evoy, Hackett, Larter, MacDonald, McLean, McPhee, Morrison, Sherren, Steele & Toole

NFLD
G:Alaverdy & Smith
D: Baggs, Dominie, Gamba, Gillam, Hennessey & Holwell
F: Barron A, Barron C, Caines, Dalton, Fitzgerald, Jones, King, McNamara, Noel, Noseworthy, Scales & Street

Hockey Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:39 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Does NewFoundland have a team ?

Old
04-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Hockey Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Does NewFoundland have a team ?
Yes, I just posted it.

Hockey Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:57 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buff View Post
Yes, I just posted it.
Sorry I didn't see it haha.

No Deschenes ?

Old
04-20-2013, 01:16 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Sorry I didn't see it haha.

No Deschenes ?
Deschene is on team NB , surprised no picco on team NFLD ?

Old
04-20-2013, 05:12 PM
IslandScouter

Picco must be hurt, am very interested to see how PEI's 97's stack up to the rest of the potential Q picks

IslandScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:11 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy98 View Post
Picco must be hurt, am very interested to see how PEI's 97's stack up to the rest of the potential Q picks
Me too... many have the PEI 97's written off, but some of those kids had good playoff runs.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:51 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Me too... many have the PEI 97's written off, but some of those kids had good playoff runs.
There are a few good players on the island still hard for them to compete a population of 120,000, saying that they always compete hard.

Any word why Picco not on NFLD roster

Old
04-22-2013, 09:55 PM
cgjoe64

Andrew Picco is out with a concussion. Collided with a goalie a few weeks ago. Not skating yet I heard

Old
04-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Andrew Picco is out with a concussion. Collided with a goalie a few weeks ago. Not skating yet I heard
Didn't he have one in January as well?

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:57 AM
VanNistelrooy

Does the players on the teams are committed to play in the Q?

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote