HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 11.0 - Great flashes and growing pains edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 05:19 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
That is a pile of nonsense. You clearly don't know anything about how Taylor Hall plays.

He is less physical than Getzlaf and Ovechkin and both of them have put up multiple seasons in the top ten in scoring. He plays a very similar style to Pacioretty and has been the victim of some bad luck. Did his "style of play" cause his face to get hit by a teammates skate in the pre-game skate......
He plays like a kid in peewee with his head constantly down. Anyone thinks he's ever going to be healthy for a full season is silly.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:28 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Tavares has been top 10 in scoring for back to back seasons in his 3rd and 4th seasons post draft. Hall is current top 10 in pts/game (on pace for 90+ points) in his 3rd season post draft.

If Galcheyuk could reach that level after next season then I sure as hell can't wait.
It's harder to reach those levels playing for a team that is trying to contend and has good vets on the roster rather than the Oilers of the past few years or the Islanders of 2010-12. There is something to be said for having a mix of youth and good vets, as I think Edmonton in particular has suffered from a lack of support for the talented youth they have drafted.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:48 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
That's the thing. He's never going to be not injured, his play style doesn't allow it. He'll be retired before he hits free agency.
So you're saying that he will retire before he's 28? I don't understand the hate for this guy, I'm not even a big fan of his, but seriously, stop. Yes taylor hall plays reckless, but most of his injuries have come from bad luck more than anything. One shoulder injury that was just a shove to his shoulder, a fight where he fell awkwardly on his ankle and a skate to the face. Taylor does have a tendency to get injured but none of his injuries are career threatening and if he gets better luck he won't be chased by injuries his entire career.

Furthermore career threatening injuries can happen to anyone and if anything it's almost always bad luck rather than style of play, see crosby, karlsson and Markov.

And while you guys talk about hall being injury prone, you do know that it was just over a year ago that galchenyuk tore his acl, now that is a serious injury.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:41 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
He has really been pilling on the points recently. If he continues to gain points at this rate, he may end up at the top of the scoring rookie race. However, he only plays like 8 minutes a game, and hasn't had a huge impact on the team's success.

If he continues his scoring streak, and helps the Habs win some games, do you think he has enough for rookie of the year? Even with his long drought?
Not enough games remaining and all the rookies above him have more games than him to play. If the season went on to an 82 game schedule, I would say he could have won it as he's revved up right now but that drought he had killed his chances in the compressed schedule. Anyway, there's no shame for am 18-19 yr old that's missed a year of dev. to barely lose out on the ROTY to a guy that's older than him. It's Huberdeau's to lose, imo.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Hansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Funnily enough, Crosby averaged 20min as a rookie, and Malkin 19min, under Therrien.
I wouldn't give much credit to Therrien for Crosby or Malkin, those guys would have developed into the same players under Cunneyworth. I'm sure Therrien gave them some good pointers, and helped, that's his job, but I'm not gonna credit him for their development. Those players are so easy to develop, they're exceptional talent.

As for Galchenyuk, ya, there's no reason for him to get 20min of ice time. But he could get a couple more minutes, especially on the PP where his skill set is a clear advantage.
I totally concur,a few cracks on the PP to see what he can do will not sidetrack his development.Yes MT knows how to bring rookies along but give Gally 27 a shot or two,he might even score a goal or two.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:24 AM
LeHabsMan

I think comparing Galchenyuk to Tavares is a bit too far. Tavares has 100 point potential and if he kept up this pace through an 82 game season he would be flirtig with 50 goals. IMO he should get the Hart this year. He and Galchenyuk are in 2 different worlds at this point. Maybe he can be CLOSE to Tavares in a few years.

Hall has higher potential than 65 points like one poster said. He has above a ppg this year and amost had last year. Again there is a reason he went 1st overall.

I say Gally will be like Kopitar or a bit better. Kopitar has 473 points in 518 career games. For the past 5 seasons he has been at just under a point per game. He is a 2 time 30 goal scorer. I think that is a good comparison. I do think he can have a few 80+ maybe 90+ in a career year. But not 100 like Tavares can.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:48 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I think comparing Galchenyuk to Tavares is a bit too far. Tavares has 100 point potential and if he kept up this pace through an 82 game season he would be flirtig with 50 goals. IMO he should get the Hart this year. He and Galchenyuk are in 2 different worlds at this point. Maybe he can be CLOSE to Tavares in a few years.

Hall has higher potential than 65 points like one poster said. He has above a ppg this year and amost had last year. Again there is a reason he went 1st overall.

I say Gally will be like Kopitar or a bit better. Kopitar has 473 points in 518 career games. For the past 5 seasons he has been at just under a point per game. He is a 2 time 30 goal scorer. I think that is a good comparison. I do think he can have a few 80+ maybe 90+ in a career year. But not 100 like Tavares can.
If he can have 90+ like you say in a career year why not 100? Is it really that far fetched?

Personally I don't know why are putting a cap on Galchenyuk's offensive ceiling, he was 2ppg in the OHL after missing the whole year and now is .5ppg in the NHL in the same development year... kid should be dynamite offensively with good defense.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:58 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
If he can have 90+ like you say in a career year why not 100? Is it really that far fetched?

Personally I don't know why are putting a cap on Galchenyuk's offensive ceiling, he was 2ppg in the OHL after missing the whole year and now is .5ppg in the NHL in the same development year... kid should be dynamite offensively with good defense.
How many 100+ point players are there in the NHL now a days?
At this pace in a full season: Crosby
Last year: Malkin

Already 90 points is INCREDIBLE in todays NHL. He would be top 5 in points, top 10 with 80 something points.

I think I am already being pretty enthousiastic with the predictions. I dont see him as having Crosby, malkin offensive talent.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:00 AM
macavoy

Quote:

Tavares career PPG 0.87
Kopitar career PPG 0.91

I think Galenchyuk has Tavares potential but agree that Kopitar levels are more realistic.

Except your not factoring in Galenchyuk's work horse ethic. I haven't heard about someone being so dedicated in the off season. One of the reasons why Crosby is so elite is his off season work ethic. His tree trunk legs. You hear that stuff about Alex.

We've seen PK do it and you see what it's done for his game. Prior to the draft, there was tones of chatter about Alex's gym rat habits. Having that kind of dedication is what takes players to the next level.

I'm so glad he's put together this hot stretch. Confidence and producing is so important for the development of offensive players.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post

Why stop at 100? Why not 110? Why not 120? Why? Because he hasn't proved ****, yet. If you set these ridiculous expectations for him, you will end up disappointed. Putting up 80-90 points is basically being a top 5-10 player in today's NHL, can he do it? Sure but he still has a lot to prove before I start saying he will be better than kopitar, right now I'll be happy if he becomes a 70 point player.

Galchenyuk is on a point streak right now, a couple of weeks ago no one was mentioning him, and now he's a potential 100 point player? Temper your expectations and stop overrating him.

Kopitar is a good comparison though.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:24 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Tavares career PPG 0.87
Kopitar career PPG 0.91

I think Galenchyuk has Tavares potential but agree that Kopitar levels are more realistic.

Except your not factoring in Galenchyuk's work horse ethic. I haven't heard about someone being so dedicated in the off season. One of the reasons why Crosby is so elite is his off season work ethic. His tree trunk legs. You hear that stuff about Alex.

We've seen PK do it and you see what it's done for his game. Prior to the draft, there was tones of chatter about Alex's gym rat habits. Having that kind of dedication is what takes players to the next level.

I'm so glad he's put together this hot stretch. Confidence and producing is so important for the development of offensive players.
I wasnt referring to ppg average in their carreer. I meant that Tavares has 100+ point potential whereas Kopitar is a consistent 70-80 point player. Which is what I think Galchenyuk will be. Maybe 1 or 2 way better seasons.

I know he is a workhorse but calling hima 100 point player is saying he will lead the league in scoring or close to it.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:24 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Why stop at 100? Why not 110? Why not 120? Why? Because he hasn't proved ****, yet. If you set these ridiculous expectations for him, you will end up disappointed. Putting up 80-90 points is basically being a top 5-10 player in today's NHL, can he do it? Sure but he still has a lot to prove before I start saying he will be better than kopitar, right now I'll be happy if he becomes a 70 point player.

Galchenyuk is on a point streak right now, a couple of weeks ago no one was mentioning him, and now he's a potential 100 point player? Temper your expectations and stop overrating him.

Kopitar is a good comparison though.
Thank you.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Ryder was 23 when his rookie season started, Subban 21, Price and Gallagher 20 and Galchenyuk 18.

When Ryder was TWO years older than Galchenyuk, he was playing in the East Coast League.

Due to birth date, Tavares played his 18 year old year in the OHL. Galchenyuk was outscoring him in PPG earlier this year in the OHL.
Well the poster asked whether we had a rookie player in recent times who's had as much impact as Gally and Galchenyuk, I just informed him that we did and cited some examples, I don't know what Ryder's age during his rookie season has anything to do with that information.

I'm not doubting that Galchenyuk will probably be a better player in the future than Ryder, if that's what you're insinuating.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:35 AM
macavoy

Quote:
I meant that Tavares has 100+ point potential

I know he is a workhorse but calling hima 100 point player is saying he will lead the league in scoring or close to it.
Tavares will probably never lead the league in scoring. I can see him consistently in the 3-6 range for the next 5 years though.

I think Galenchyuk can be in the top 3-6 range in 5 years when Crosby, Malkin etc are in their 30's and he hits his prime. I think we are going to see a shift from the defensive mentality that has held the scoring back on this team for the last 30 years.

I understand that Kopitar levels are more realistic but to say he doesn't have Tavares levels is wrong. If things went differently, no ACL problem, it's entirely possible he could have went #1.

I think he is in the same calibre of players like Hall, Seguin, RNH and Tavares. I agree he is a step behind them but that might be because he lost an entire year.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:05 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

he is better than Tavares , more complete , better wheels but not the goal scorer

the overall package is better , Tavares doesnt play D at all , Galchy looks like a more skilled Ron Francis

both are studs , take you pick , I take AG27

Old
04-20-2013, 12:07 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Tavares will probably never lead the league in scoring. I can see him consistently in the 3-6 range for the next 5 years though.

I think Galenchyuk can be in the top 3-6 range in 5 years when Crosby, Malkin etc are in their 30's and he hits his prime. I think we are going to see a shift from the defensive mentality that has held the scoring back on this team for the last 30 years.

I understand that Kopitar levels are more realistic but to say he doesn't have Tavares levels is wrong. If things went differently, no ACL problem, it's entirely possible he could have went #1.

I think he is in the same calibre of players like Hall, Seguin, RNH and Tavares. I agree he is a step behind them but that might be because he lost an entire year.
Edmonton and Columbus will wake up one moring and say , HOW THE F DID WE NOT TAKE HIM

Old
04-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
Edmonton and Columbus will wake up one moring and say , HOW THE F DID WE NOT TAKE HIM
Not really, yakupov is having just as good a season galchenyuk is having.

Columbus maybe but it's hard to justify since Murray's injury.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:11 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

can't wait for him to work in kovy's office from the halfboards on the PP. mmmm i can just picture the deke and then the snipe!

Old
04-20-2013, 12:12 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
he is better than Tavares , more complete , better wheels but not the goal scorer

the overall package is better , Tavares doesnt play D at all , Galchy looks like a more skilled Ron Francis

Come on. Galchenyuk over Tavares? HF overrates defensive play. Tavares is one of the most dangerous offensive threats in the league.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Lebowski

I think there's a fine line between underrating and overrating Galchenyuk.

To the people who think he will top out as a 70 points two-way center... I think that's selling him short a bit. He most definitely is the best offensive talent the Habs have had in the last 20 years. Keep in mind Desharnais had 60 points last season, and Plekanec had 69 and 70 points season. I think Galchenyuk can be better than that.

To the people who think he has 100 points potential... Keep in mind guys like Stamkos, Tavares and Giroux never reached that level since they came into the league. There's basically only one player that is a lock to be a 100+ points player if healthy, and that's Sidney Crosby. Now, I'd be jumping of joy if Galchenyuk can become a 100 points player, but the odds of tht happening are very slim.

I think it's faire to expect him to become someone that can average a PPG with a decent enough two-way play. That would put him in the ballpark of most elite centers in the league, like Tavares, Toews, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Giroux, etc. Expecting anymore than that is utopian.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Aceekay

Quote:

What in the ****? A more skilled Ron Francis? What, Ron Francis has close to 2000 points he's a hall of famer and two time cup winner if galchenyuk can half of what Ron Francis got I will be satisfied, but lets be reality galchenyuk won't ever be as good as Ron Francis.

If you think defense seperates galchenyuk from Tavares, you are so, so wrong. Galchenyuk hasn't even been good defensively this year. Tavares is simply better than galchenyuk no ifs ands or buts, galchenyuk shoud aspire to be what Tavares is now.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:28 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I think there's a fine line between underrating and overrating Galchenyuk.

To the people who think he will top out as a 70 points two-way center... I think that's selling him short a bit. He most definitely is the best offensive talent the Habs have had in the last 20 years. Keep in mind Desharnais had 60 points last season, and Plekanec had 69 and 70 points season. I think Galchenyuk can be better than that.

To the people who think he has 100 points potential... Keep in mind guys like Stamkos, Tavares and Giroux never reached that level since they came into the league. There's basically only one player that is a lock to be a 100+ points player if healthy, and that's Sidney Crosby. Now, I'd be jumping of joy if Galchenyuk can become a 100 points player, but the odds of tht happening are very slim.

I think it's faire to expect him to become someone that can average a PPG with a decent enough two-way play. That would put him in the ballpark of most elite centers in the league, like Tavares, Toews, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Giroux, etc. Expecting anymore than that is utopian.
This.

I think Kopitar is a good example for him.

His past 5 seasons:

82 games
77 points

82 games
66 points

82 games
81 points

75 games
73 points

82 games
76 points

I see on average, just under a point per game player. Which would be top 15 in points every year. With solid defensive play and a leader.

There is nothing wrong with that. Obviously he can put up 80+, maybe 1 or 2 90+ seasons in his his prime or carreer years.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
It's harder to reach those levels playing for a team that is trying to contend and has good vets on the roster rather than the Oilers of the past few years or the Islanders of 2010-12. There is something to be said for having a mix of youth and good vets, as I think Edmonton in particular has suffered from a lack of support for the talented youth they have drafted.
The only reason why it would be harder to reach those levels on a contender is because of ice time. Your linemates would either be the same, or even better (seeing how you're on a better team). So it all comes down to ice time.
However, if the player is capable of putting up 90pts in a non-contender, then why would anybody give him less ice time?
I mean, are you saying Crosby would have more points if he played in Carolina this year?

It really doesn't make any sense. Playing on a better team won't hinder production of top level talent.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
Quote:
Obviously he can put up 80+, maybe 1 or 2 90+ seasons in his his prime or carreer years.
Sounds like Damphousse.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:19 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Sounds like Damphousse.
Points wise maybe. Style of play not so much.

Closed Thread