HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
And this was a Dolomite you said? Do you know which model/year it was? The early Dolomite blades were tanks, but the HD and DD blades would crack sooner.

It could be your stick is a little long and/or you could use a lower lie. Honestly if you used it 2-3 times per week for close to six months, that's pretty acceptable wear IMO.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Devil Dancer

Hockey Giant has a pretty decent deal on Easton sticks right now. The older Mako models are down to $150 for seniors, $140 intermediate.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Hockey Giant has a pretty decent deal on Easton sticks right now. The older Mako models are down to $150 for seniors, $140 intermediate.
And for those people complaining about higher prices in Canada, National Sports has had the Mako on sale for $130 for more than a week now and will continue until the 24th.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:57 AM
TieClark

I really want to try a Nexus 1000 with a Kane curve but I can't justify spending the money when I have an AI9 and N12 already

Old
04-20-2013, 10:08 AM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
And this was a Dolomite you said? Do you know which model/year it was? The early Dolomite blades were tanks, but the HD and DD blades would crack sooner.

It could be your stick is a little long and/or you could use a lower lie. Honestly if you used it 2-3 times per week for close to six months, that's pretty acceptable wear IMO.
It is an '11 DD/Vanek/85/lie 5.5. I am 6'4" and I skate pretty straight up.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:26 AM
AIREAYE

Vanek is listed as a Warrior lie 4. Warrior doesn't denote half lies.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:50 PM
mistrhanky

Indeed sit, you are correct. For some reason, I was certain it was a 5.5, but they are a 4. Generally speaking, the lie of the stick feels pretty good to me. I used to have to retake after nearly every game on a previous stick I had because I would destroy the tape about halfway between mid blade and heel. With this stick and lie though, I only change tape for cuts and gashes on the blade face. Of course, I was not really ever close to hitting a slapped before, so maybe now tha I am trying more of them, it has accelerated the wear because of the way I strike the ice. I suspect maybe I am hitting the ice with to much downforce in an effort to flex the stick anyway.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:33 PM
LarryO

Keep in mind that a Warrior 4 lie is an actual 5 lie.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:43 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Keep in mind that a Warrior 4 lie is an actual 5 lie.
Not really, Warrior measures their lies differently than everyone else so you can't really say that. Common misconception. Other manufacturers also measure their lies differently from each other, so there isn't anything 'actual'.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:34 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Not really, Warrior measures their lies differently than everyone else so you can't really say that. Common misconception. Other manufacturers also measure their lies differently from each other, so there isn't anything 'actual'.
Most other major brands measure their lies very similarly, and their 5 lie compares to the Warrior 4 lie.

Warrior 4 = other brands 5
Warrior 5 = other brands 5.5
Warrior 6 = other brands 6

I guess that's why Warrior, as you say, "doesn't denote half lies".

The Vanek actually plays closer to 5.25 lie of other brands.

Last edited by LarryO: 04-21-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

+1 to Larry's post

Old
04-22-2013, 10:28 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I really want to try a Nexus 1000 with a Kane curve but I can't justify spending the money when I have an AI9 and N12 already
I had this stick and IMO it is pretty unimpressive. There is nothing wrong with it, but to me it lacked pop. For a $250 stick I just expected more. The blade cracked after about 8 months of heavy use. Could just be me though.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:51 PM
AIREAYE

It's not an equivalence, you will notice differences between the companies. It's close and a practical starting point to look for similar lies, but they are not equal.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

HOCKEY STICKS - Buying Guide & Advice

Just testing something out.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:25 AM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
I could definitely use some help here on a stick for next season. I currently use a Warrior Dolo with the Vanek curve, lie 5.5 I think. I love the lie on the stick and want to keep that as best I can. It is starting to crack and shred at the heel though(I am a pretty aggressive hacker as far as stick checking goes -- tough on sticks I guess) so I was looking for a replacement. I also really like the blade pattern as it is not a very aggressive curve at all, which makes my backhand easier. I have an 85 flex and can get some juice on a slapshot, but not a ton, and definitely no lift. Finally, limited budget.

Doing some searching I see that I can get a Warrior Diablo for about 100, or find the occasional dolo for about $80. Not sure what the difference is between a dolo and a dolo DD either. I want to get something around a 75 flex which is easy enough to find, but a vanek curve is not. Would something like a lidstrom come pretty close? I kind of like the square toe on it. What is the real difference between the dolo and the diablo?
Not trying to be rude here but if your slapshot is really that poor, try to invest some money in shooting lessons and buy the cheapest stick you can find right now. Gretzky probably could have scored goals with a pool cue.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
polysaturate

Hate to be that guy, but...

Intermediate, flex in the 60's...i'm looking at:

Mako(original), as it is 2012 and on clearance now
-or-
Mako II m3(same exact price point, just this years)
-or-
CCM RBZ 60(heard good things about the variable kick, bad things about puck/blade feel)
-or-
...anything anyone else thinks would be a good choice at this price point(100-150)

Personally, I am leaning towards the Mako 2012...

Old
05-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Do you mean the original Mako (high end) vs Mako M3 II (price point)? I would take the original Mako in that case.

Do you have a preference of kick point?

Old
05-08-2013, 12:54 PM
polysaturate

Quote:
Do you mean the original Mako (high end) vs Mako M3 II (price point)? I would take the original Mako in that case.

Do you have a preference of kick point?
Yes, orignal high end, versus new price point.

I don't really take any slap shots, mostly here and there in warmups just to grease the movements a little. I'm a wrister kind of guy and snap shots when I have a little more time and room. I'm rather short 5' 7", and not terribly strong(1xBW bench, to give an idea). So I figure the int. is right up my alley flexwise.

I am coming from a 4k that is falling apart. It was cheap, and I am ready to move on to a nicer stick.

So, I am leaning towards the original Mako, but wouldn't mind hearing if you had any other suggestions.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:34 AM
ShootsWide

I've been working on my slap shots lately so I wanted to try out a Bauer supreme. I currently use a Nexus 400 which has served me good as my first stick. Now I kinda want to move up a little. I'm not sure whether to go with a Supreme One.6 or One.7. Or maybe trying out the CCM RBZ 60

Old
05-13-2013, 12:52 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Well, my birthday is coming up and I just might ask for something this year.

Maybe a nice P08/NXG 77Flex cut down 6"? What would you guys get given basically free reign on any stick, or should I wait for something to be released?

Or custom Warrior gloves? Decisions decisions...

Old
05-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by polysaturate View Post
Yes, orignal high end, versus new price point.

I don't really take any slap shots, mostly here and there in warmups just to grease the movements a little. I'm a wrister kind of guy and snap shots when I have a little more time and room. I'm rather short 5' 7", and not terribly strong(1xBW bench, to give an idea). So I figure the int. is right up my alley flexwise.

I am coming from a 4k that is falling apart. It was cheap, and I am ready to move on to a nicer stick.

So, I am leaning towards the original Mako, but wouldn't mind hearing if you had any other suggestions.
Okay I'm the same height and my bench is a lot less than my bodyweight

I think you'd like the Mako.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post

Maybe a nice P08/NXG 77Flex cut down 6"? What would you guys get given basically free reign on any stick, or should I wait for something to be released?

Custom Warriors would be nice. You wouldn't worry about breaking them. But if I could get any stick it would probably be an APX in my flex and curve because I loved the X:60.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:16 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post

I'm sure you have an explanation for the 6" cut, so forgive me for asking, but, why so much? Would that eventually be your targeted flex and length?

Old
05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
polysaturate

Quote:
Okay I'm the same height and my bench is a lot less than my bodyweight

I think you'd like the Mako.
Ya, I got antsy and just nabbed it. Came on Friday, and going to get it cut today(I don't have a hacksaw ). Just from playing around with it around the house with cat balls and a stick handling ball, I am liking the feel already. Thanks for your help sir!

Old
05-13-2013, 01:11 PM
AmartZing

I can have a lot of those stick for 140$. I got a lot of Bauer NXG and APX, Easton RS1 and 2, Bauer nexus .... PM if your interested

Closed Thread