HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Methot to Edmonton?

Old
04-20-2013, 01:01 AM
SchultzSquared

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
For now people are speculating that one of Edmonton's top forwards will be moved to help the team's defense or goaltending.
So it is more things that did not actually happen... got it

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Yokai

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
So it is more things that did not actually happen... got it
You'll also notice I used the word "IF" when referring to the team shopping Eberle. That implies I am speculating on future events based on what has been said by the team's management staff. Had I said "Edmonton IS shopping Eberle" I would actually require proof. Glad to see you continue to provide constructive input though.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:04 AM
zeus3007*

Haven't read the thread, but we don't need any 3/4 d-men. We have Petry and Smid for our second pair, which is a solid second pair. We need a bottom pair upgrade on Potter (maybe Klefbom) and a top pair guy to play beside J. Schultz. Marc Methot is neither, and thus, isn't a fit.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:06 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Haven't read the thread, but we don't need any 3/4 d-men. We have Petry and Smid for our second pair, which is a solid second pair. We need a bottom pair upgrade on Potter (maybe Klefbom) and a top pair guy to play beside J. Schultz. Marc Methot is neither, and thus, isn't a fit.
He's played the role of top pairing defender on a playoff bound Senators team this season, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume he can do the job.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:26 AM
LSnow

If i was Ottawa i would not trade Methot in any circumstance. Every game i have watched he has been amazing defensively, and i think he complements Karlsson really well.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:15 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
lets look at a healthy sens line up

Chris Phillips 3.08
Jared Cowen 1.35
Erik Karlsson 6.5
Patrick Wiercioch .875
Eric Gryba .562
Marc Methot 3.0
Andre Benoit .650 ufa

gonchar is gone after this year and that is why i left him off the list

it will be interesting where methot fits in when karlsson and cowen are back and as Wiercioch develops-- melhot could be 5-6 d-man next year and at 3mill a year that is a lot

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Orr123

Yeah, as a Sens fan, I always loved the Methot for Foligno trade from the start.

Methot addressed a need the Sens had, and we just had to give up a player that was replaceable for him.

While I was always happy with having Methot come to Ottawa, I never in a million years would have thought he would have the impact that he's been having. I'd argue he is one of our best players this season, and if not our best -- easily our most consistent and a great guy in the locker room.

I know its only been 40 games or so, but I love what Methot brings to the table. He's made every player he plays with better. At this point, he's solidified the Sens D and I wouldn't trade him for anything but an overpayment.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
lets look at a healthy sens line up

Chris Phillips 3.08
Jared Cowen 1.35
Erik Karlsson 6.5
Patrick Wiercioch .875
Eric Gryba .562
Marc Methot 3.0
Andre Benoit .650 ufa

gonchar is gone after this year and that is why i left him off the list

it will be interesting where methot fits in when karlsson and cowen are back and as Wiercioch develops-- melhot could be 5-6 d-man next year and at 3mill a year that is a lot
Also, Methot EASILY fits in the first 2 lines.

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Wier/Gryba
Wier/Gryba-Benoit/Phillips
Benoit/Phillips

(Assuming Gonchar doesn't play).

He will be a #2-3 D man on the sens, I could almost guarantee that.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:41 AM
SP

Yeah, if Ottawa trades Methot, it's going to be in a package for another defenseman better than Methot.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Pancakes Pancakes

Quote:
So I like how overpays are acceptable for #5 D... but Eberle has lost value and is worth only unproven picks prospects... love this place and Sens fans... keep on keeping on...
So the guy being mentioned as an invitee to the team Canada Olympic summer camp is a #5 dman?

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:43 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
How does Ottawa value Methot? What would Edmonton have to ship Ottawa to acquire Marc Methot?
I'll admit that I'm a Sens fan who hated the Foligno for Methot deal at first, but Methot has played very, very well, is a good complement to EK, and is one of a precious few Sens that has been mostly healthy this season. He has totally won me over, and has played like a top pairing Dman whether Karlsson was in the lineup or not. He also was thrilled to be traded to his hometown of Ottawa, and was on record many, many times before the lockout ended saying how he couldn't wait to put on the Sens jersey. He has fit in very well, and would only be moved for an upgrade. Since Edmonton is in need of D and goaltending, doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
So I like how overpays are acceptable for #5 D... but Eberle has lost value and is worth only unproven picks prospects... love this place and Sens fans... keep on keeping on...
See above. Also, you might want to watch him play... He is playing as a top pairing Dman, even without Karlsson, and doesn't look out of place one bit. Tell me 4 Dmen on your team that would realistically be ahead of Methot. Other than (arguably) J. Schultz, who is not at all the same type of Dman, there are none. So the "#5 Dman" comment was ridiculous. Just like how you completely ignored the 'if' in the other poster's post. Read posts more carefully before responding to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
I'm a big Eberle supporter so I'm with you on that, but to say Methot is a #5 Dman... cmon man...

He's our #2 Dman when everyone is healthy, and you won't hear a single Sens fan complain about that.

His value to Ottawa is significantly higher than his value to any other team. It would require a stupid overpayment.

When it comes to Ebs.. people are underrating his value because he is something Edmonton has a surplus of. Personally, I'd rather just keep the Surplus. lol

Not sure how to answer that because IDK if you're implying Ottawa is a great destination, or a horrible one... lol
To be fair, with what Cowen has showed so far, if that continues, he may be our 2nd best Dman. I think the Sens may have the luxury long-term of having 3 Dman that can legitimately be called top pairing : Karlsson, Methot, and Cowen.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:12 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
Also, Methot EASILY fits in the first 2 lines.

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Wier/Gryba
Wier/Gryba-Benoit/Phillips
Benoit/Phillips

(Assuming Gonchar doesn't play).

He will be a #2-3 D man on the sens, I could almost guarantee that.
when the sens d gets healthy he is 5-6 on the team

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:18 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Quote:
No... when Karlsson comes back Methot is either going to be his partner or Gonchar's. Wiercioch will be bumped to the bottom pairing with Phillips.

Methot is without a doubt a top four defenseman on Ottawa. No question.

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Apaharn

Quote:
Given your statement, show us your reasoning as to who goes top 4-5 given your ranking of Methot.

Apaharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Methot isn't going anywhere.

He's our most consistent and valuable defenceman out there. He, Gonchar and Phillips made Weircioch, Gryba, Benoit and Lundin look like capable NHL defencemen.

Methot is 27. He's going to get top pairing minutes until he can't handle them anymore, then move into a Chris Phillips role with this team. 13 games into his career with the Sens he was giving the assistant captaincy for a game. I think that says it all. He's by all accounts a hell of a great guy, great in the locker room and an absolute beauty of a throwback defender on the ice.

#5 defenceman my ass.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:16 AM
H2O

Methot is a top paring D in Ottawa and is as big of a reason as Anderson for why Ottawa's D is one of the tops in the league.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:41 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Methot is a top paring D in Ottawa and is as big of a reason as Anderson for why Ottawa's D is one of the tops in the league.
Sens have EK, then Methot and CowEn as 2A & 2B.

McLean doesn't believe in stacking his top pairing with the best D on the team. He likes a PMD (Gonchar, Wiecioch, EK) paired with a more physical guy (Gryba, Methot, Cowen). Phillips is

All Ds have to punch in and support the offense if it's appropriate to do so.

Being a physical D doesn't mean you're not good at playing the puck.

Same as EK being so good offensively doesn't he can't play D.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Methot was brought in to specifically play with Karlsson. Im surprised they havent signed him to an extension yet. He's been fantastic.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
He would be the Oiler's #2 D.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:10 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus View Post
Methot was brought in to specifically play with Karlsson. Im surprised they havent signed him to an extension yet. He's been fantastic.
He's not a free agent until July 2015... the earliest Ottawa can negotiate an extension with Methot is July 1, 2014.

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:26 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
He's played the role of top pairing defender on a playoff bound Senators team this season, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume he can do the job.
1) Ottawa has much better depth than Edmonton, which makes a difference.

2) I question if Methot can play a top pair role for an entire 82 game season, unless he has a Karlsson like player as his partner. Remember that he won't have that in Edmonton.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:09 PM
slapshot12phil

Quote:

2) I question if Methot can play a top pair role for an entire 82 game season, unless he has a Karlsson like player as his partner. Remember that he won't have that in Edmonton.
He has spent over half of these season (over 20 games), on our 1st pairing usually paired with Gryba(an AHLer before this year), playing against the other teams top forwards, on one of the best defensive teams in the league.....

Im fairly confident he can be a top pairing guy over the course of a full season with or without Karlsson.

slapshot12phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:53 PM
sens613

Quote:
He started the year with only Cowen out as our #2 so some how with the same line up as opening night plus cowen he goes down 3-4 spots???

Apparently could get an invite to team canada as one of the 12 dmen...maybe you should watch a few games before saying something that ridiculous.

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:37 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:

Considering that he has played essentially this whole season surrounded by an old Phillips and Gonchar, and an AHL defence around him, I'd say he is doing a pretty darned good job.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:

So what you're saying is that he should be valued on how he'd perform in Edmonton rather than how he is currently performing? I think this is where the disconnect between fan bases happens.

Methot has been lights out with Karlsson and without Karlsson this year. Why would Ottawa trade him?

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote