HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bozak commanding over 5 million

Old
04-20-2013, 10:39 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Based on what?? Bozak's sample size away from Kessel, and the top defensive matchups, is non-existent. If he wasn't playing with elite linemates, he wouldn't have been facing the top defensive matchups.

We've been through the Antropov crap already. He still can't skate properly. Weiss is going to cost more than Bozak (if he even becomes available). Cullen has been on a steady decline the last few years, is inferior to Bozak at this point in his career, doesn't fit at all into our team, and does a real nice job of writing Kessel's 1-way ticket out of town. $1.5m more for Bozak is a no-brainer, and we'll worry about the length of the contract in a couple of years when he's only got 1 or 2 left.
Considering he's nearly always on the receiving end of a scoring chance and not a guy that creates them himself I think the weaker defensive matchups argument is moot relative to the elite linemates inflating his totals argument.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Petes2424

Is anyone actually suggesting that Bozak is worth the $5 million long term? I think it's more people are just accepting that's what it's going to be.... Whether in Toronto or elsewhere.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:45 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Is anyone actually suggesting that Bozak is worth the $5 million long term? I think it's more people are just accepting that's what it's going to be.... Whether in Toronto or elsewhere.
Personally, I don't think he'll get that from Toronto or anywhere else on the free agent market. The cap is going down and team's aren't going to be stupid enough to think Bozak is the answer to their proverbial top-6 scoring woes.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Personally, I don't think he'll get that from Toronto or anywhere else on the free agent market. The cap is going down and team's aren't going to be stupid enough to think Bozak is the answer to their proverbial top-6 scoring woes.
I disagree. I think a lot of teams will get absolutely desperate once their primary options go down the drain in the first hour. If he holds out long enough I definitely think he could get that much. Even if it's from a team near the floor.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
UFA contracts are stupid on a yearly basis. The Leafs biggest problem in all this, is that they already have one $5 million overpaid C who's unmovable.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Nazem Bozak

this guy celebrated 4/20 a little early

Nazem Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:11 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I disagree. I think a lot of teams will get absolutely desperate once their primary options go down the drain in the first hour. If he holds out long enough I definitely think he could get that much. Even if it's from a team near the floor.
agreed. It's UFA...he'll get it.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:58 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Whether or not he will get it and whether a team should offer it are two entirely different debates.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Confucius

People were speculating Eberle will get 6 no way Bozak get 5.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Wow... Jay McClement has no business in a top 6 role even on a temporary basis, nevermind full time.
No kidding, I mean a guy who has gotten 3 minutes total all year on the pp compared to more than 2 full games alone on the pp just speaks volumes about how well that would work out. He's just better playing 5v5 vs the tougher competition and being outscored by Bozak to the tune of a whopping single freaking point playing with guys near Kessel and JVR skill. Send him down.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:38 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
People were speculating Eberle will get 6 no way Bozak get 5.
Eberle is not a pending UFA

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
I would give Bozie something like 3 years @ 4.5 M. I can see him taking a bit of a home-town discount to stay in Toronto, he seems to like it here. He also inevitably ends up playing with Kessel and Lupul/JVR which helps his numbers.

I'm not sure of Chicago's cap situation this offseason, but they're another team that I could see going after Bozie. They've needed a # 2 Center for a long time, and Bozak would fit the bill perfectly. He's skilled enough to play with guys like Hossa or Sharp or Kane, and has great two-way play.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
I would give Bozie something like 3 years @ 4.5 M. I can see him taking a bit of a home-town discount to stay in Toronto, he seems to like it here. He also inevitably ends up playing with Kessel and Lupul/JVR which helps his numbers.

I'm not sure of Chicago's cap situation this offseason, but they're another team that I could see going after Bozie. They've needed a # 2 Center for a long time, and Bozak would fit the bill perfectly. He's skilled enough to play with guys like Hossa or Sharp or Kane, and has great two-way play.
K, wait. A player like Bozak just gave us a home town discount and he's making 4.5m? My son has backwards days at school. Is that like that?

Old
04-20-2013, 01:55 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Bozak's easily worth 4.5M at 5-6 years IMO, although with the cap going down that may realign some salaries.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Ok

Weiss vs. Bozak

Tell me who you would choose?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:06 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Ok

Weiss vs. Bozak

For Edmonton I take Bozak due to his all around two way play. If I'm say Phoenix, I'd take Weiss.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
K, wait. A player like Bozak just gave us a home town discount and he's making 4.5m? My son has backwards days at school. Is that like that?
If Bozak becomes a UFA, he'll be in for a big payday. He's a valuable player that plays in all situations (PK, PP, key draws) and is only 27. Some team with a lot of capspace would throw 5 mil at him for 5 years or so, no doubt. I think 3 years around 4.5 would be a hometown discount, it wouldn't have much risk at only 3 years.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
For Edmonton I take Bozak due to his all around two way play. If I'm say Phoenix, I'd take Weiss.
Umm what? Stephen Weiss is a better two way player than Bozak. Bozak is better at faceoffs.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:15 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Umm what? Stephen Weiss is a better two way player than Bozak. Bozak is better at faceoffs.
Weiss plays the game similar to RNH and Gagner IMO. I put more value in Bozak's game the Weiss's as well. Weiss would do well on a team lacking skill like Phoenix, Nashville, Columbus or Dallas.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
Weiss plays the game similar to RNH and Gagner IMO. I put more value in Bozak's game the Weiss's as well. Weiss would do well on a team lacking skill like Phoenix, Nashville, Columbus or Dallas.
He really plays nothing like either of those guys. He actually works for everything he gets and has more top end skill than Gagner. The only thing him and Gagner have in common is the fact they've played with 2nd line players most of their careers, and the only thing him and Bozak have in common is they aren't true #1 centers, but at least Weiss can pretend he is and not look so damned out of place.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Ok

Weiss vs. Bozak

Bozak...career high 47 points, Weiss...5 years of over 47 points.

On a 3-4 years deal...I take Weiss. If it is a 6-7 year deal....Bozak...but would pay less $.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:21 PM
smitty10

I would take Weiss all day, every day. Bozak is a good player, but he's not as good as Weiss offensively.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:48 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
He really plays nothing like either of those guys. He actually works for everything he gets and has more top end skill than Gagner. The only thing him and Gagner have in common is the fact they've played with 2nd line players most of their careers, and the only thing him and Bozak have in common is they aren't true #1 centers, but at least Weiss can pretend he is and not look so damned out of place.
The reason I take him is that IMO you win with players like Bozak. Weiss is good offensively sure but he doesn't have the all around game that Edmonton is lacking, and he couldn't be sheltered in Edmonton where as he could in a Nashville or Phoenix in a defense first system.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
The reason I take him is that IMO you win with players like Bozak. Weiss is good offensively sure but he doesn't have the all around game that Edmonton is lacking, and he couldn't be sheltered in Edmonton where as he could in a Nashville or Phoenix in a defense first system.
Sheltered? Why would you shelter Weiss when Bozak doesn't even face the toughest comp?

Old
04-20-2013, 11:37 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
According to your post, Kessel, Lupul and JVR are all second line players? Stats can very easliy disprove you otherwise, but to suggest Kessel and Lupul are not top line forwards, proves yet again you may want to take the time to watch a game or two. You should try it some time.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote