HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boucher fired, Cooper to TB, Zettler in SYR | Bowness & George Gwozdecky hired

Old
04-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Should have started with new assistant coaches as well, they were part of the problem.

04-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
And he was a part of that amazing goaltending dynamo () that was Grahame-Burke, so he has history in Tampa. I would be all for bringing him here.
Often referred to as Gurke or Brahame.

Lecavilier_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:22 PM
MattM92

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Should have started with new assistant coaches as well, they were part of the problem.
Agreed, I was not a fan of LaCroix, Raymond, or Jean. Wanted them all gone

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Why not bring Roli back as the GT coach? Last I heard he was doing some consulting work in Anaheim and those two tenders over there aren't doing half bad.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Felonious Python
TyJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pyatt View Post
Why not bring Roli back as the GT coach? Last I heard he was doing some consulting work in Anaheim and those two tenders over there aren't doing half bad.
He was volunteer goalie coach for UMass-Lowell, who were the favorites to win the Frozen Four before getting knocked off by Yale.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:05 PM
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 1742
Yeah not sure why Cooper doesn't get to pick his own staff, if true.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:22 PM
TBLHoser

Was not all too pleased to read this. None of these current assistant coaches have stellar coaching resumes. Lacroix coaches defense and was drafted in the 2nd round as a left wing and scored a whopping 11 goals in his NHL career....and this makes him a good defensive coach? Other than Stevie Thomas I had hoped none of them would be retained.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Well its not like he has been resigned yet. Maybe this is just SY being proffessional. He said if a contract can be worked out it will. Look at what he says. He makes no promise that he will be back. They can offer crap and he walks. What he says is totally different than what they might ultimately do.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Felonious Python
TyJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
Well its not like he has been resigned yet. Maybe this is just SY being proffessional. He said if a contract can be worked out it will. Look at what he says. He makes no promise that he will be back. They can offer crap and he walks. What he says is totally different than what they might ultimately do.
What about if they'll sign for crap?

Old
04-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
What about if they'll sign for crap?
Ughh umm... crap!!

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:55 AM
jg39
SFY is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
Often referred to as Gurke or Brahame.
They were no Smellis, that's for sure...

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Felonious Python
TyJo

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...at-now/2116388

Quote:
For Jean, the chance to mentor Bishop and Lindback is like starting with a clean slate.

Tampa Bay's goaltending has been a revolving door, with Bishop, Lindback, Roloson, Mike Smith, Dan Ellis, Dustin Tokarksi, Sebastien Caron, Mathieu Garon and Cedrick Desjardins all getting starts during Jean's time.

Add a generally shaky defense and the results have not been good. In 2010-11, Tampa Bay was 21st in the 30-team league with a 2.80 goals-against average. It was last in 2011-12 with a 3.34 GAA, and entered Friday 27th at 3.04.

But the lack of continuity in net makes judgments impossible, Yzerman said: "We've got to be fair. That includes me, you, the fans. All the critics out there have to give (Jean) an opportunity. He hasn't had a goaltender to spend a lot of time with that we can judge the effect positive or negative. But I can tell you he's very bright, very professional, and I'm comfortable with the methods he's teaching our goaltenders."
...they've got to see what we're talking about. We may be wrong in our assessment, and don't know how to evaluate goalie coaches, nor are we really doing so beyond watching these guys regress, but isn't the amount of goalies this team goes through indicative of the job the goalie coach is doing, to at least some degree? Why does it seem that other teams don't have this kind of problem so severely, or are we blinded by it being our favorite team?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-20-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old
04-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
I'm fine with this only because if Bishop fails then Yzerman should be fired. If he wants to hitch his GM future to Jean then that's fine. If next year Bishop even slightly regresses I would be in favor of firing Yzerman.

Bish Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:37 AM
The YzerJesus
#teamwhitewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
I'm fine with this only because if Bishop fails then Yzerman should be fired. If he wants to hitch his GM future to Jean then that's fine. If next year Bishop even slightly regresses I would be in favor of firing Yzerman.
Woah.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
Woah.
Strike one... Dan Ellis

Strike two... Anders Lindback so far

If Yzerman fails at getting a goaltender for the third time it's time to move on. You could conceivably blame the defense on Boucher and they have played better but Yzerman hired Cooper also so it's all on him.

Bish Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Strike one... Dan Ellis

Strike two... Anders Lindback so far

If Yzerman fails at getting a goaltender for the third time it's time to move on. You could conceivably blame the defense on Boucher and they have played better but Yzerman hired Cooper also so it's all on him.
Heh... Ellis was never meant to be a long term solution. It was made quite obvious from day one that he was just a stopgap while they looked onward for somebody in the future or waited for Smith to get his **** together. It just so happens that the team itself was outperforming expectations while Ellis and Smith were stinking up the joint. So SFY had to make changes to his stopgap and traded for Roloson.

It's still too early to close the book on Lindback too. Garon was signed as a backup and he's pretty much performed as you would expect him to and probably a little more as he was forced to be the #1 last year. The only real "misses" you can pin on Yzerman for goaltending is the Ellis signing and the Roloson re-signing.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:04 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pyatt View Post
Heh... Ellis was never meant to be a long term solution. It was made quite obvious from day one that he was just a stopgap while they looked onward for somebody in the future or waited for Smith to get his **** together. It just so happens that the team itself was outperforming expectations while Ellis and Smith were stinking up the joint. So SFY had to make changes to his stopgap and traded for Roloson.

It's still too early to close the book on Lindback too. Garon was signed as a backup and he's pretty much performed as you would expect him to and probably a little more as he was forced to be the #1 last year. The only real "misses" you can pin on Yzerman for goaltending is the Ellis signing and the Roloson re-signing.
The Roloson re-signing wasn't bad imo. I still say that he was never the same after he got kneed in the head against Carolina. That turned him to ****. He couldn't track pucks and I'm pretty certain he was at least mildly concussed and tried to play through it. You can't really blame Yzerman for doing the stand up thing and rewarding how Roli played for us in the Playoffs and Reg. Season since coming from the Island. Hindsight is 20/20 of course.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:07 PM
TBLHoser

Yet on the other hand....

Signed:

Cory Conacher - Undrafted Free Agent - 2012 AHL MVP

Tyler Johnson - Undrafted Free Agent - 2013 AHL MVP

Our farm club is the best we've ever had.

Not particularly fond of our goalies either, but right now, the jury is still out.

Speaking of goalies - what happened to Riku??

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:10 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Yet on the other hand....

Signed:

Cory Conacher - Undrafted Free Agent - 2012 AHL MVP

Tyler Johnson - Undrafted Free Agent - 2013 AHL MVP

Our farm club is the best we've ever had.

Not particularly fond of our goalies either, but right now, the jury is still out.

Speaking of goalies - what happened to Riku??
Went home to deal with family problems again. 2nd time this season.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
You know, I think this might eventually be what it all boils down to. I think if both guys show nothing there will be some big discussions.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:41 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 546
Cooper on this season:
Quote:
"I want to see what guys can do," Cooper said. "I want to see what their talents are, what they can excel at, what they struggle at, and move on from there. It's all a big evaluation process."
Cooper on next season:
Quote:
"Think about next year," Cooper said. "By the time the first week of training camp is over, we'll have more practice days than we've had the whole month I've been here." Not quite, but you get the idea.

"You can only look at so much video," Cooper added. "You have to get on the ice and work with the guys. We're not reinventing the wheel or anything like that. But it's getting them to play consistently the right way, the way we want day in and day out. There's a lot that comes into that. There's just not enough time." [...]

"Even for next year," Cooper said, "it will be Thanksgiving, Christmas before you get your team going on all cylinders. It just takes time. But it will be nice to have training camp to work with the guys before getting behind the bench."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...htning/2116695

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Allaboard

I guess he has forgotten about how he was going to hurt our draft position.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:22 PM
The YzerJesus
#teamwhitewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
I was thinking the same thing the other day

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Pontius Palat
Blame Gudas Iscariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
Well just think how set we'd be if Boucher was still in charge. We'd be guaranteed to get Jones!

Pontius Palat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Nah, we're still losing by the truckload. Still, I have to admit this Tampa team is more fun to watch. I don't feel like we're getting beat physically. Some issues need ironing out, mainly with turnovers and decision making. I think we're largely playing better now (instead of just having futile comebacks to lose by 1 in regulation).

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote