HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils Team & Player Discussion, Free Agency & Trade Talk - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 07:49 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
2013 New Jersey Devils Team & Player Discussion, Free Agency & Trade Talk - Part XII

Offseason begins in a week barring divine intervention, hopefully we at least hold off the guillotine for another couple days since we can push it to Monday at worst with two wins in a row.

If the axe does fall though, at least Lou has all the time he wants to talk contract with our FA's to be during the postseason

Old
04-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Belizarius

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
UFA's
Forwards
Elias
Clarkson
Zubrus
Sullivan
Ponikarovsky
Kostopoulos

RFA's
D'Agostini
Josefson
Henrique
Loktionov

Defense
UFA's
Zidlicky
Harrold

Minor leaguers
UFA's
Janssen
Sestito
Zalewski
Leach
Corrente
Wiseman
Anderson

RFA's
Frazee
Berube
Kelly
Pesonen
Sislo
Hoeffel
Tedenby
Kinkaid

Old
04-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Zippy316

What I want:

Keep Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson (if the price is reasonable)

All the NHL RFAs since they will be cheap,

Sestito, Zalewski, Leach, and Anderson for Albany veteran leadership and reliable call-ups

Might as well just keep all the minor league RFAs, except maybe Frazee and a D.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:13 AM
njdss4

Keep Elias, Zubrus. Keep Clarkson only if his cap hit is reasonable ($4M per year or more and I'd let him walk). Let Sullivan, Poni, and Kosto go.

Keep all the RFAs, but try and see if you can get Dags to take a two-way contract. He probably won't, but it's worth a try. I wouldn't give him a pay raise, though. His play this season does not warrant him getting more than $1.65M.

I don't care about the minor leaguers except for Kincaid. Obviously re-sign him.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Only forwards who should be kept are Elias and Zubrus and both should be no more than 2 year deals. I'd let Clarkson go, but we all know how unlikely that it is. It does appear though that Clarkson is somewhat delusional about what he is worth (and hasn't looked at his last 30 games or so).

Sullivan, Ponikarovsky, and Kostopolous were just filler for this season. Ponikarovsky has been a huge disappointment. Younger talent needs to fill these roles. I'd bring D'Agostini back as Clarkson insurance and on a 1 year deal.

That said, Lou does need to add another scoring forward and address the goalie situation. Still don't see how he does it, but we'll see.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I want new blood on the defence. Amnesty Volch and let Harrold and Zidlicky walk.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:02 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Kovy is playing tonight as per Tommy G

Old
04-20-2013, 11:35 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Kovy is playing tonight as per Tommy G

I have no idea why we are gambling with the health of our best player. We have absolutely zero shot at making the post season, so why not shut him down and bring up some youngsters instead.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:38 AM
hlaverty06

Kosto if he doesn't mind being extra forward wouldn't be a bad keep...but we do have Barch so

Old
04-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Blame Kovalchuk himself, he's the first one that wants to be in.

Captain material, I salute him.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I want new blood on the defence. Amnesty Volch and let Harrold and Zidlicky walk.
This too.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Would be utterly ironic if Kovy comes back and plays and we end up losing to the Panthers of all teams.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Belizarius

Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
Bring the youngsters ? which ones ?
The lone kids who could be call ups are Tedenby and Pesonen.
The rest are AHLer's or don't have NHL contracts for this season (Boucher, Whitney for example).

Old
04-20-2013, 11:45 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Blame Kovalchuk himself, he's the first one that wants to be in.

Captain material, I salute him.
The bolded part is 999% spot on.

It's ****ing outrageous that Bryce Salvador got the captaincy over Kovalchuk. The simple fact that Salvador is a bordeline middle pairing d-men wearing the "C" is a joke in itself.

He might a stud in the locker room but you don't need a letter to voice your opinion. He represents the New Jersey Devils organisation as our captain and I don't think there's another player in the league who's captain of his team and would be a healthy a scratch more often then not, if not for the letter on his jersey.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:54 AM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

NVM that was dumb

Old
04-20-2013, 11:56 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnots13 View Post
Totally random idea just shot through my head, would Rich Peverley from the Bruins be available at a low price? He could be useful for us.
Peverley would be a ok addition but we need someone to step in our top #6 and Peverley wouldn't be the answer. He's like Zubrus IMO, not in terms of playing style of course, but that he'd be a solid band-aid if someone went down with a injury on one of our two first lines but wouldn't be my #1 option for a permanent spot.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I would re sign Kostopolous if the only other alternative is to re sign Janssen. Get Janssen out of here unless it's to play in Albany again. Hopefully the last few weeks shows Pete and Lou that we don't need a goon in the lineup anyway. We even played the Flyers without one the other night, and I expect if we win today that we will definitely play the Rangers tomorrow without one in the lineup too.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
The bolded part is 999% spot on.

It's ****ing outrageous that Bryce Salvador got the captaincy over Kovalchuk. The simple fact that Salvador is a bordeline middle pairing d-men wearing the "C" is a joke in itself.

He might a stud in the locker room but you don't need a letter to voice your opinion. He represents the New Jersey Devils organisation as our captain and I don't think there's another player in the league who's captain of his team and would be a healthy a scratch more often then not, if not for the letter on his jersey.
I was very happy when they gave Sally the captaincy to be honest, but the losing streak convinced me how much the team needs Kovalchuk's on-ice leadership, even before his offensive contribution. Yeah Russians can have leadership skills too.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:08 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

Offseason to-do list in order of priority:
1. Draft a forward with Top 3 potential, let him develop a year in the A
2. Amnesty Volch
3. Resign Loktionov, Elias, Henrique, Zubrus, D'ags (Clarkson too if the asking price isn't too high)
4. Sign a serviceable Top 6er, doesn't have to be a superstar, just has to be better than Clarky
5. Trade Tallinder, let Zids walk, call up Urbom, Gelinas, let the leash off of Larsson
6. "Ask" Sal to graciously give the captaincy to Kovy
7. "Nudge" Moose into retirement (and reward him justly with an assistant goalie coach job) and give Wedgewood or Kinkaid backup duties (or sign Jonathan Bernier to be 1b with Marty)

Next year's lineup:

New Forward-Lokti-Kovy
Elias-Zajac-Zubrus
D'ags-Henrique-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Larsson-Greene
Fayne-Gelinas
Salvador-Urbom

Brodeur
Bernier/Kinky/Wedge
This allows us to stay semi-competitive next year while starting to groom for the future. We hold on to our young centers who are part of our future; we let Elias and Zubrus finish their careers here and mentor the youngsters in the process; Matteau, Merrill, and Boucher get the development in the AHL they need; we give our D the youth infusion it needs; we start to attempt to figure out who will be in goal after Marty.

Last edited by MartysBetterThanYou: 04-20-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added lineup
Old
04-20-2013, 12:09 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I would re sign Kostopolous if the only other alternative is to re sign Janssen. Get Janssen out of here unless it's to play in Albany again. Hopefully the last few weeks shows Pete and Lou that we don't need a goon in the lineup anyway. We even played the Flyers without one the other night, and I expect if we win today that we will definitely play the Rangers tomorrow without one in the lineup too.
No offence, but is there a better sign that this season needs to end ASAP when we're talking about potentialy signing Kostopoulos over Janssen.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:16 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
I was very happy when they gave Sally the captaincy to be honest, but the losing streak convinced me how much the team needs Kovalchuk's on-ice leadership, even before his offensive contribution. Yeah Russians can have leadership skills too.
Honestly, handing the captaincy to Salvador caught me by surprise more then anything else. The one reason I hated the call is that Bryce got a "get out of jail for free" letter on his jersey.

I'll give him credit for the way he plays, like Volch, but heart on the ice is fine and dandy but you also have to play the right way as well and Salvador (and Volch) put his team in rough corners more often then not this year.

Kovy completely changed his game to play with us and he's not the scoring machine he once was with Atlanta but on the other hand, he's not costing his team tons of goals by floating around. We clearly saw he was "the man" in our cup run, despite being injured and he's the one that put our team on his back, not Parise or Marty.

Kovy was the only option IMO but it didn't work out that way. Good thing there's only 2 more years left on Sal's deal... for more reasons then just the captaincy

Old
04-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
No offence, but is there a better sign that this season needs to end ASAP when we're talking about potentialy signing Kostopoulos over Janssen.

Definitely, if I had it my way I wouldn't sign either of them.

If we're gonna get a bargain bin guy does anyone have any interest in Viktor Tikhonov? Kovy's linemate from the KHL? If he has any interest in playing in the NHL next year we can try to get his rights from Phoenix. I don't trust Deboer not to sit him though.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:40 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Now I'm Depressed

Old
04-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

First things first, Lou's going to buy out Barch. The classic two-year goon contract for no reason.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
First things first, Lou's going to buy out Barch. The classic two-year goon contract for no reason.
Wonder if he uses an amnesty buyout?

Closed Thread